The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 May 2018, 09:35 PM   #31
Flintstone
"TRF" Member

Would you expect to get a free oil change or tire rotation at a car dealership where you didn't buy your car? Relationships work both ways.
Flintstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 09:55 PM   #32
tac34vt
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT2-DJ2-SubC-SD43
I would expect to pay if I didn't purchase from them. I have a friend who owns a jewelry store - not a Rolex AD - they always charge if the watch didn't come from them. Like many others have said, I always just do it myself, as I trust my work more than than anyone else's.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
tac34vt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 09:58 PM   #33
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
if a watchmaker is doing it i would be more OK with it than if it was a sales associate. Im not paying for an amateur to size my watch.

Who is doing it is the more important detail.
X2. If a skilled watchmaker is doing the work, then pay and forget about it. It really is a job you can do.
Old 21 May 2018, 10:03 PM   #34
GfromMT
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hulk
i was charged $30 for this by an AD that i did not purchase the watch from.
GfromMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 10:03 PM   #35
GFONG
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lange / Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
people do not work for free.

If i did not buy something from a store i should expect to pay for their service.
x2
GFONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 10:05 PM   #36
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Does anyone care to provide a Youtube link of someone who is doing it right? Are the tools needed:

correct screwdriver
loctite 222
hairdryer to loosen screw (perhaps)
that fork-thing to move the pin in the clasp (if necessary)
Old 21 May 2018, 10:17 PM   #37
DubaiRolex2000
"TRF" Member

Honestly if I ran a store I would do it for free - the brownie points will pay dividends later.

I casually put myself onto the list for a SubC last yesr, with no prior history, and got a call within a month. Didn’t buy it because I didn’t have the funds on the day but the ADs respect of new customers meant I went back to them when I wanted to buy my first watch, a non in demand watch.
DubaiRolex2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 10:23 PM   #38
kzm40
"TRF" Member

I've never been charged at a rolex ad. (didn't matter if the watch was bought there or not)

My local AD said he couldnt move the half link from 12 to 6 o'clock on my hulk, not sure why I had it done at main rolex AD in berlin, no issue, took 2 mins, also free!
kzm40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 10:29 PM   #39
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meganfox17 View Post
✓My Rolex grey dealers would resized the oyster bracelets or switch to Rubber B for free...Everytime ! I don't "kowtow" to ADs but then again I haven't purchased a Rolex from any boutiques or ADs before
✓My Omega watches : Free Service and some free stuff at any Omega boutiques. Ok. I'm a VIP customer so that explains it , although I make it a point to always reward the attending boutique sales assistant with a small token of my appreciation
✓Non Omega/ Non Rolex watches : local well respected watchmakers called Sifus ( Old Masters ) who have been in the business for decades. A nominal fee, sometimes it's free but I will always insist on paying them at least 5-10 bucks. Come 0n, it's their livelihood and only proper for me to show my respects and pay them for their services and a job well done
Watchmakers are invariably interesting people. :) Let's have our mommies make a playdate and we'll go pick through their old parts!

Thanks for posting those. :)
Richard Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 10:35 PM   #40
Flier
Banned

Watch: ROLEX
Bought my Rolex from an AD
went to a grey TWICE
Never got charged
Flier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 10:50 PM   #41
BBL
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD-YG/DJ/Breitling
If it were me, and no other alternatives were available:

Pay, but ask if it would be possible to be done at counter in front of me. I would pay if asked, no question, unless it was a fee off the charts; then, I would walk.

If they say Gratis, then I would offer to tip - laying foundation for a friendly relationship with the store. That's only right in my books... lots of people in this world are "pay forward types", and when they do something nice for me, I feel obligated to show my respect for their time/expertise generosity. Most never accept the tip - but I do offer if they don't charge me. You never know when you may need them again.

BBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 10:53 PM   #42
toomann
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oyster Perpetual
Do you work for free?
toomann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 10:53 PM   #43
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I've been asked for £10 for a Breitling and free for an AP at FH, £10 for a Rolex at WOS, £25 for a Rolex and £50 for an AP at Wempe. If you buy from them then should be no charge. I expect all these charges to be much higher now in this market.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 10:55 PM   #44
faimag
"TRF" Member

Watch: Reverso
In my experience from Singapore, RSC does it for free and usually, on the spot (unless they are super busy). ADs also typically do it for free, whether or not you bought the watch from them. Third party watchmakers always charge a fee, albeit not if you are a "customer" (i.e. bought a few second hand watches from them in the past).
faimag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 10:56 PM   #45
VicLeChic
Banned

Watch: YM 116622 - SD43
Makes sense, I would expect to be charged as well, even if just a token payment.
VicLeChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 10:58 PM   #46
101031-28
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665
I have a Bergeon Set I purchased years ago that I use to size my watches. But if I did not have the tools, I would expect to pay a fee for the removal, especially if the watch was not purchased at that boutique.

Ian Fleming
101031-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 10:59 PM   #47
slillestrand
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona 116509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodel View Post
Hi guys, my local AD (who I didn’t buy my watch from) is wanting to charge me to remove a link from my GMT bracelet. Is this normal or shall I go elsewhere? Would you take this to any old jeweller or want it to be a Rolex AD?
Thanks
I think fine...but then tell them up front of your expectations they do not put one scratch in any part of the watch or strip the screw.....this actually happens too often...if they are charging for the service...then they are on the hook and the expectations of service go up.

Regards,
Scott
slillestrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 11:07 PM   #48
superstarmar
Banned

Watch: my wrist presence
Buy the micro screwdriver set and do it yourself for less than
the nominal fee . My AD said he couldn’t untie my bow tie. Lol
a screw on my SD4K to take out the divers extension .
So, I said bump that and went and got the micro kit and
fixed it my self very slowly and very carefully... Now I can
fine tune any watch I want when it comes to sizing the bracelet.
superstarmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 11:21 PM   #49
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
When I got my first Rolex 7+ years ago I brought it to the local AD and asked them how much to take a link out... (I figured they'd want about $20).
They said they wouldn't even do it.
I kept driving to Lowe's and bought a small screw driver set for $15.

I suggest you do the same, it's very easy.
Old 21 May 2018, 11:22 PM   #50
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
I walked into an AD I've never been to before to have 2 links removed from by Black Bay Bracelet - did it for free. As a gesture of goodwill I reckon
Old 21 May 2018, 11:27 PM   #51
fishingbear
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMTsSubLVEx2SDDayt
I would expect to pay at an AD with no relationship history, but it really is a simple DIY job.
fishingbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 11:28 PM   #52
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodel View Post
Hi guys, my local AD (who I didn’t buy my watch from) is wanting to charge me to remove a link from my GMT bracelet. Is this normal or shall I go elsewhere? Would you take this to any old jeweller or want it to be a Rolex AD?

Thanks

Do you work for free?
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 11:48 PM   #53
spoilsofwar01
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing Rainclouds
Quote:
✓My Rolex grey dealers would resized the oyster bracelets or switch to Rubber B for free...Everytime ! I don't "kowtow" to ADs but then again I haven't purchased a Rolex from any boutiques or ADs before
✓My Omega watches : Free Service and some free stuff at any Omega boutiques. Ok. I'm a VIP customer so that explains it , although I make it a point to always reward the attending boutique sales assistant with a small token of my appreciation
✓Non Omega/ Non Rolex watches : local well respected watchmakers called Sifus ( Old Masters ) who have been in the business for decades. A nominal fee, sometimes it's free but I will always insist on paying them at least 5-10 bucks. Come 0n, it's their livelihood and only proper for me to show my respects and pay them for their services and a job well done
Great Photos, My watch repair guy is a bit shy about me taking photos so I don't push the issue, I did laugh when I saw the bottle containing "Super Oil!" it clearly works
Smiths W10 1968
Tissot Seastar 2011
spoilsofwar01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 12:27 AM   #54
siempreko
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sometimes
Never paid to have a watch resized, and I never will. If an AD tried to charge me, then they would have lost a potential future sale.
siempreko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 12:32 AM   #55
LINVS
Banned

Quote:
Salty!
LINVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 01:07 AM   #56
upsidedownbelt
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116618LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
People do not work for free.

If I did not buy something from a store I should expect to pay for their service.

Totally disagree. When you run a business that sells things for a lot of money that people do not need, you do what you can to earn their business. I have never in my life paid for a bracelet to be sized anywhere weather I bought anything there or not. I am much more likely to buy something from someone who isn’t going to charge me a few bucks to do a couple minute job.
upsidedownbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 01:13 AM   #57
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
Who is going to be the cheapest and take the best care as not to scratch? YOU get the tools for the job and to it yourself. I would NEVER let an AD touch my watches too many bad outcomes.
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 01:13 AM   #58
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownbelt View Post
Totally disagree. When you run a business that sells things for a lot of money that people do not need, you do what you can to earn their business. I have never in my life paid for a bracelet to be sized anywhere weather I bought anything there or not. I am much more likely to buy something from someone who isn’t going to charge me a few bucks to do a couple minute job.
that is making a big assumption. A huge number of people are using them for their services with no intention of buying, now or ever. They cant earn their business anyway. These days there tends to be AD people and non AD people. Nothing wrong with either but it is what it is.

No way i give away free stuff in my business no mater what product im selling when most of the people won't return the favor and buy something. Existing customers, fine.

It happens at best buy too. People go in, waste the salesman time and try all the TV's, get some demonstrations, and go home and order it on amazon.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 01:18 AM   #59
Stuffthatworks
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon040289 View Post
Not sure why you would expect them to do it for free if you didn’t buy the watch from them. If you want it done for free by someone and not invest in some tools then RSC is an option
Stuffthatworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 01:25 AM   #60
DeepCeasar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Deep Sea, Batman,
If the AD scratched or damaged the link or screw they would be on the hook. They must charge if it wasn't bought from them. Id personally be a little embarrassed to walk into a store I didn't purchase the watch from and expect a free service. Just my .02
DeepCeasar is offline   Reply With Quote