The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 May 2018, 03:13 AM   #1
ajg278
"TRF" Member

126710 BLRO waitlist terms

I have been in contact with a local AD who tells me he can most likely deliver a BLRO within one year with a 20% deposit. Keep in mind the deposit is fully refundable at any time, and I have no prior relationship with this AD.

I have no issues with waiting, and given the demand for this piece I think these terms seem more then fair. I am wondering what others think, is this too good to be true or is this realistic?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ajg278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 03:14 AM   #2
ernie2
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4K+BLNR
If authorized AD, it is a fair setup
ernie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 03:20 AM   #3
stylinleems
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

My AD wants $5k down to hold the spot which is not that bad however, it is only refundable once the watch comes in ... which will be most likely next year - haven't placed the deposit down still debating.
stylinleems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 03:23 AM   #4
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

i dont buy it. even with 20 people at 20% deposits thats a nice little bit of operating cash the AD has to play with while you wait. If it stretches past a year you won't ask for your money back as its too late to get on a other list. Just a thought.

I dont think any AD is getting that many either.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 03:24 AM   #5
tbonesteak
"TRF" Member

Watch: me go broke!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajg278 View Post
I have been in contact with a local AD who tells me he can most likely deliver a BLRO within one year with a 20% deposit. Keep in mind the deposit is fully refundable at any time, and I have no prior relationship with this AD.

I have no issues with waiting, and given the demand for this piece I think these terms seem more then fair. I am wondering what others think, is this too good to be true or is this realistic?

Thanks in advance.

If in NJ, which is an affluent populated state, seems highly sketchy without a relationship.

I can name every AD in the state and can't think of one that would deliver on this for you within a year - they'll be sitting on your deposit until they've gone through their established customer base, and I'm betting these flow in slowly, so a year seems absurd to me. Each AD has to have at least 10-20 established customers waiting on this (at an absolute minimum).

You're basically just giving this AD a 0% loan with no stipulations, seems like a good deal for them. If you did do this, I would stop in weekly starting in about 6 months - they'll either get sick of you and get you your watch, or eventually give you your deposit back.
tbonesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 03:25 AM   #6
c41006
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pelagos
Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinleems View Post
My AD wants $5k down to hold the spot which is not that bad however, it is only refundable once the watch comes in ... which will be most likely next year - haven't placed the deposit down still debating.

I don’t think I’d be comfortable with that situation. A deposit that is refundable at any time is acceptable to me but holding my money hostage no matter what until the watch comes in would make me think twice.
c41006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 03:26 AM   #7
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
I would rather invest my deposit and buy the watch when I can see it
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 03:31 AM   #8
c41006
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pelagos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajg278 View Post

Thanks in advance.

I don’t think it sounds unrealistic. You’re putting down a good chuck of change and giving them an entire year to supply the watch. Nobody really knows what the supply is going to be like on the BLRO. I doubt the AD is even sure. It also depends on the market this particular AD is in.
c41006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 03:34 AM   #9
4srolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gears in motion
I am on the waiting list with 2 AD's with no deposit required. I would not put a deposit on a BLRO. A Daytona: Yes, because it's a limited piece but a GMT is going to be readily available in a year.

When people ask how was your day? I tell them: "Same circus just different clowns!"
4srolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 03:37 AM   #10
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4srolex View Post
I am on the waiting list with 2 AD's with no deposit required. I would not put a deposit on a BLRO. A Daytona: Yes, because it's a limited piece but a GMT is going to be readily available in a year.
im doubtful.

D-blues, Hulks, BLNR, Daytonas, Sky Dwellers, SD 43, and even regular Subs are not easy to get. Obviously in varying degrees of difficulty but i dont see any of them being readily available next year.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 22 May 2018, 03:38 AM   #11
watchbowl
"TRF" Member

Does sound too good to be true if you have no prior relationship with them. My AD isn’t even taking deposits on the watch yet
watchbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 03:42 AM   #12
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon040289 View Post
Does sound too good to be true if you have no prior relationship with them. My AD isn’t even taking deposits on the watch yet
its kind of weird because a big AD in London last year didn't open the waitlist until after the public viewings of the demo models. Presumably to make sure people tried it on before trying to buy it. This year they opened and closed the list in about a day at the Basel announcement. And now there are tons of people committed who might not even like it.
Old 22 May 2018, 03:44 AM   #13
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4srolex View Post
I would not put a deposit on a BLRO. A Daytona: Yes, because it's a limited piece
What is "limited" about a Daytona?
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 03:44 AM   #14
4srolex
"TRF" Member

I think it depends on the region and relationship. Both of my AD’s where I am on a wait list sold me a BLNR, D Blue and Daytona. I really think the BLRO will be available in a year to everyone who wants one. I think Rolex will ramp up production on the GMT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
im doubtful.

D-blues, Hulks, BLNR, Daytonas, Sky Dwellers, SD 43, and even regular Subs are not easy to get. Obviously in varying degrees of difficulty but i dont see any of them being readily available next year.

When people ask how was your day? I tell them: "Same circus just different clowns!"
Old 22 May 2018, 03:45 AM   #15
stylinleems
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c41006 View Post
I don’t think I’d be comfortable with that situation. A deposit that is refundable at any time is acceptable to me but holding my money hostage no matter what until the watch comes in would make me think twice.
Exactly what I have been thinking ... Hence why I haven't placed any deposit. (note- I have purchased my TT Sub from them, so they know I'm a good customer)
stylinleems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 03:48 AM   #16
4srolex
"TRF" Member

Limited in a sense it is an allocation piece to AD’s and AD’s dictate who gets to buy it. I have never seen a 116500 in a case but I’ve seen many in the safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
What is "limited" about a Daytona?

Old 22 May 2018, 03:59 AM   #17
watchbowl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
its kind of weird because a big AD in London last year didn't open the waitlist until after the public viewings of the demo models. Presumably to make sure people tried it on before trying to buy it. This year they opened and closed the list in about a day at the Basel announcement. And now there are tons of people committed who might not even like it.

My AD said they aren’t taking deposits yet due to them not knowing how many they will receive. I guess when they have a rough number they will cherry pick through their list and deposits will be taken.

A friend of mine who works at GS in Trafford centre said they expect to receive about 6 a year. If that is the case they will certainly not be readily available.
watchbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 04:01 AM   #18
Likestheshiny
"TRF" Member

How is it "Too good to be true"? It costs the store nothing to take your money and try to get you a watch, and the store has no obligation to actually succeed.
Likestheshiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 04:02 AM   #19
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP

I don’t do deposits unless you can tell me EXACTLY (or within a reasonable margin) when I will have whatever the item (cars, watches, etc) is in question (and it would most definitely have to be fully refundable at ANYTIME) and we ALL KNOW...they have NO IDEA when - or how many they will get. Period.

You’re better off just waiting - ADs don’t ‘need’ deposits - it’s just ‘free’ operating money.

I have found more hard to get references traveling over the years with no wait (and superior service) than I have waited on my AD....just saying.

My .02

RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 04:06 AM   #20
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
I've never been asked for a deposit.
If you're ok with it, go for it.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 04:07 AM   #21
trackntrail
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO
I think that's a fair policy. I'm on the waitlist at my local AD with no deposit but that is only because I have history with them.
trackntrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 04:37 AM   #22
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
This is one you have to do your maths on with this AD, bearing in mind how many VIPs will be sorted first and then how many will this AD realistically get in a year, so on new popular Basels I think a deposit probably makes no difference, better use it on an existing model like a BLNR and set a 6 months limit.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 06:01 AM   #23
vinny84
2024 Pledge Member

Being able to withdraw that cash at any time seems fair.

As long as you can get it in writing those terms and signed by both parties and you really want the watch then go for it. You won’t have much luck otherwise.
vinny84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 06:11 AM   #24
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
If you believe them 2k is reasonable enough. I always ask for a concrete delivery cutoff. I’ve never given a deposit for a Rolex though.
Old 22 May 2018, 08:05 AM   #25
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

OK, so you give a deposit....what happens to your deposit if the store goes out of business?
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 08:15 AM   #26
faz
"TRF" Member

Watch: like'em all
If this is the watch you want, then putting down 20% to show you are a serious customer is not an issue.

If an AD is indeed keeping and maintaining a list, and if they are not a crappy setup, the whole list and contacting customers etc. when a piece comes in is an extra hassle they have to deal with. I can see them asking for some sort of a reassurance from a buyer before they put their name on a list.

The local AD I frequent told me last year that if I wanted a SD43, I could put down 50% of it and the next one that was coming in was mine. (this is when I tried the SD43 that they had in stock but it was for another customer.) I have a good relationship with them and I would trust the fact that if they said the next one was mine, it would be mine. But I wasn't in a position to purchase another watch at that time so I passed.

If you are ok with 20% sitting with an AD and you really want the watch, I would go for it. This would be a start of a relationship with the AD too so it can't hurt and worst case you will lose $1.50 a month in interest gained in your savings account.

Instagram @fazmoto
faz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 08:46 AM   #27
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

Deposit is fine if AD says 4-5 weeks and they see a flow of BLROs in the pipeline

However putting down a deposit with AD that has ZERO idea how many they will get or when is silly

Unless you know the AD really well what's to stop a a super VIP long term client from walking in and picking one up ahead of you ?

Keep in mind that some major ADs in NYC only expect to see 4-5 this year and maybe at most 10 a year. Thats NYC!
If smaller ADs they might get 1 a year

brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 09:03 AM   #28
05carbondrz
Banned

The Rich Guys will always be First in line no matter the deposit,They will get multiple hard to find Pieces before they ever even scroll down to your Name.People need to say enough is enough and Teach These AD’s and Flippers a lesson.
05carbondrz is offline   Reply With Quote