The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 19 September 2018, 06:56 PM   #151
justdate
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP/AP/Rolex
Nautilus VS Datejust

Dial: finishing is significantly higher quality on the Nautilus, a more intricate design requiring more work to achieve.

Bezel: equally impressive to me. Whilst the Nautilus has the fine grain finish and polished sides with a perfectly razor sharp edge, the DJ makes things interesting by using WG instead of SS and has a ring of highly precision cut edges, a fresh DJ bezel in the sun is quite something.

Case: Nautilus case is notably superior, a slimness boasting finesse the chunkier Rolex can’t match and very fine finishing to all edges which is a league above the DJ.

Bracelet: is nicer on the Nautilus than the Oyster, more detailed finishing to all pieces and edges, the jubilee is closer due to its more intricate design requiring finer finishing but still not as nicely finished.

Clasp: is much better on the rolex than the Nautilus.

Movement: is not even a comparison to be made, one is a work of art, one is more utilitarian in finish.

Overall: Nautilus has higher finishing quality on every part inside and out. Specifically more time is spent on each part which allows for a more detailed finishing. DJ is still a fantastic watch though, and stands its ground very well, the bezel is an icon for a reason, it’s absolutely beautiful and a very intricate design which is perfectly executed. Also the clasp is significantly better.

Finally the Nautilus is very light, scratches easily and is not especially durable. The DJ will go most places and still look just as good afterwards, it’s far more usable.

Day-Date: Someone also mentioned the DD. I think the comparison is pretty much the same except that the DD bracelet is superior in quality and finish to that of the Nautilus. Personally I prefer the DD40 to both the 5711 SS and RG, but can easily understand someone who prefers the Nautilus, there’s only so much ‘finish’ can tell you, ultimately it depends what you like and what suits your lifestyle.

Old 19 September 2018, 08:05 PM   #152
Double Barrel
Banned

I will say it again, the datejust SS is a better watch than the nautilus SS purely based on design. If i want a properly finished watch, i will go to Patek for PM or complications watches. I do not want to have to worry about scratching a SS watch, it makes no sense no matter how good the finishing is. I want a great finish on a precious material, not on steel.
That is my opinion at least.
Old 19 September 2018, 08:19 PM   #153
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I will say it again, the datejust SS is a better watch than the nautilus SS purely based on design. If i want a properly finished watch, i will go to Patek for PM or complications watches. I do not want to have to worry about scratching a SS watch, it makes no sense no matter how good the finishing is. I want a great finish on a precious material, not on steel.
fair enough, but that is the exact reason that watch was created. It was made specifically to put that level of finishing on a SS watch and price it to reflect that. Unheard of at the time. Its not supposed to make sense to everyone and thats also why they don't make hundreds of thousands of them a year.

High Luxury in steel was the aim and remains so. Stainless steel is precious metal for Patek. Its probably the most exclusive metal they work in from a collectibility standpoint since the vast majority of production is PM. Its backwards but it is what it is and luxury isnt always logical.

Its also worth noting that achieving that level of finishing on a SS watch is more of a display of finishing prowess than doing it on a softer and easier PM watch
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 19 September 2018, 08:28 PM   #154
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007_Omega View Post
Not true. It's seeped into mainstream culture through rap and hip hop. I know plenty of people who know what Patek is and they have limited watch knowledge.
It's interesting that there is also a hierarchy in rap/hip hop as well, there are a lot of songs about having made it and got out of the gutter, but the newer ones tend to shine on about their Rollies and Gucci, and the more seasoned ones talk more about AP and now PP and Balenciaga etc.
Old 19 September 2018, 08:32 PM   #155
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
I'm sure your view was the prevailing one a decade ago but certainly not now, the move towards sports watches at all levels of luxury has been decisive, and in this new social media age that always trends to the younger, this will not change, and watch firms including some like Lange may have to start making crossover watches to survive in this future.
Old 19 September 2018, 08:33 PM   #156
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
5711 all day long! I own plenty of Rolex but never would consider a DJ. My 5711 is probably my favorite all around Patek.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 19 September 2018, 08:48 PM   #157
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
fair enough, but that is the exact reason that watch was created. It was made specifically to put that level of finishing on a SS watch and price it to reflect that. Unheard of at the time. Its not supposed to make sense to everyone and thats also why they don't make hundreds of thousands of them a year.

High Luxury in steel was the aim and remains so. Stainless steel is precious metal for Patek. Its probably the most exclusive metal they work in from a collectibility standpoint since the vast majority of production is PM. Its backwards but it is what it is and luxury isnt always logical.

Its also worth noting that achieving that level of finishing on a SS watch is more of a display of finishing prowess than doing it on a softer and easier PM watch
That is a very eye opening point. When you really reflect on it, this is ironically very true. The market also reflects that in pricing with Patek steel vs Patek pm.
Old 19 September 2018, 09:19 PM   #158
nick c
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystro View Post
not a pp fan. I tried a few on and the style isn’t me. The dj is another story.
x2
Old 19 September 2018, 09:30 PM   #159
justdate
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
That is a very eye opening point. When you really reflect on it, this is ironically very true. The market also reflects that in pricing with Patek steel vs Patek pm.
Except that the most coveted and collectible Nautilus is the platinum version.... which costs multiples of the SS both new and grey
Old 19 September 2018, 09:45 PM   #160
Dilemma
"TRF" Member

I watched the videos SL BRABUS posted. I’ve never seen a Nautilus in person so I was basing my ‘meh’ feelings on photos only. Much like the LV Sub, I didn’t care for it in photos until I saw one being worn at which point my opinions completely changed.

It seems this may be a watch that needs to be seen in person to truly appreciate. Photos only say so much with watches.
Old 19 September 2018, 09:46 PM   #161
justdate
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Tyler where did you get that from that SS requires more finishing prowess than PM? It’s got the whiff of salesman’s ‘spiel’ to it, but would be interested to know how much truth there is to it.

I would disagree that SS is the precious metal for PP. The most collectible PPs are always PM, and PP uses PM not SS for special models - e.g the 5711/1P or 5650G. They use SS for the base models with the lowest price point of that model.
Old 19 September 2018, 09:46 PM   #162
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justdate View Post
Except that the most coveted and collectible Nautilus is the platinum version.... which costs multiples of the SS both new and grey
The exception doesnt make the rule. Almost always the ones that go totally crazy at auction are SS examples of their watches. Not just Nautilus, but Patek watches generally. Long term collectibility, there is not a better bet than SS.

AFAIK Patek will still make certain clients a platinum version so the fact that its not even available but a very, very select few get that opportunity makes it pretty special.The Anniversary edition was a LE.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 19 September 2018, 09:51 PM   #163
scurfa
"TRF" Member

I remember reading the Patek magazine about how good the finish is, then I picked up my Nautilus and was a little bit underwhelmed, underneath the flip on the bracelet is not finished off at all and the pin and collar system in the links doesn’t really say £18k
Old 19 September 2018, 09:52 PM   #164
Double Barrel
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
Agreed, but not the 5711 steel. Because it is not a beautiful watch. Iconic, rare, prestigious, avant gardiste at that time - yes i agree.
If you do the same as i did and show a photo of the two watches to someone who has no clue in watches, you would be surprised by the reaction you'll receive.
Old 19 September 2018, 10:54 PM   #165
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Agreed, but not the 5711 steel. Because it is not a beautiful watch. Iconic, rare, prestigious, avant gardiste at that time - yes i agree.
If you do the same as i did and show a photo of the two watches to someone who has no clue in watches, you would be surprised by the reaction you'll receive.
thats the point i have been making all along. The Nautilus is NOT a mainstream watch. Mass market products of every type tend to have mass market styling to appeal to the largest subset of people possible. The tradeoff is that they can be a bit plain and similar to other products which are also mainstream. Vanilla ice cream is the most popular ice cream because it tastes good to more people than rocky road. Doesnt mean Vanilla is better but no one debates if the flavors contained in rocky road are more complex because they are.

MB&F, Greubel Forsey, HYT, Urwerk, RM all are insanely expensive brands that make watches people not into watches probably think look weird vs a DJ. They are not mainstream either and are not designed to be. People not already into art are exceedingly bad at evaluating it.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showpost...5&postcount=17
Old 19 September 2018, 11:25 PM   #166
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Long term collectibility, there is not a better bet than SS.
Ti is also very rare. 5004T 5208T etc
Old 19 September 2018, 11:35 PM   #167
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Ti is also very rare. 5004T 5208T etc
so rare ive never seen one. I wouldn't turn down the 5524 in titanium for sure
Old 19 September 2018, 11:36 PM   #168
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
so rare ive never seen one. I wouldn't turn down the 5524 in titanium for sure
Yes strictly for oil sheiks
Old 30 October 2018, 11:35 AM   #169
GreatHarry
"TRF" Member

Watch: CHNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubMarine View Post
I vastly prefer the day date...
Tough call.
Both.....?!?!......Please......
Old 30 October 2018, 11:40 AM   #170
jeffnnj
"TRF" Member

I'm sorry but I never understood the Nautilus at all. I've never seen one with a pristine bezel and I honestly don't get the whole designed to look like a porthole thing. It's not even in my top 25.
Old 30 October 2018, 12:33 PM   #171
yessir69
2024 Pledge Member

I’ve owned both. There is no reason for the price difference other than the exclusivity of Patek. I know it’s blasphemy, but I thought the 5711 was boring compared to my AP 15202. I sold the Nautilus and kept the Royal Oak. Never regretted it.

Oh, and the accuracy of my Dj41 was much better.
Old 30 October 2018, 12:40 PM   #172
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
I believe that the Patek is definitely the watch to own of the two. I guess I'm not really certain why I'd spend the extra money. If I felt obliged to spend the money I might go for something different as Patek isn't my favorite in terms of styling.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
Old 30 October 2018, 05:14 PM   #173
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

I have a 36mm Day-Date in platinum, and a 5712. Love them both, but if one had to go, it would be the Rolex. I used to think the Nautilus was ugly, right up to the moment I first tried one on, about ten years ago.

Whoever was making the point that even PP are not top of the tree in haute horology is correct. The sky is the limit with HH watches.
Old 30 October 2018, 05:25 PM   #174
michael.michael
"TRF" Member

Watch: your back
Waw comparing pizza and caviar
Old 30 October 2018, 05:58 PM   #175
uansari1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar 16570
Can not fault the Patek in any way. For me, personally though, I wouldn’t enjoy wearing it as any blemish would irk me, and I don’t want to have to be so careful with anwatch. Rolex is not haute horology, but that’s what I prefer. I don’t mind getting a scratch or scuff on any of my pieces, except maybe the Nomos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Explorer 124270
Omega Seamaster GMT 50th Anniversary
Old 30 October 2018, 07:59 PM   #176
Carrera_2
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN
Yes, the movement on the Nautilus is much more beautiful than the Rolex movement. That’s also reflected on the price. I would choose a Datejust between those two, unless that Nautilus is the ref 5712/1A.
Old 30 October 2018, 08:08 PM   #177
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnnj View Post
I'm sorry but I never understood the Nautilus at all. I've never seen one with a pristine bezel and I honestly don't get the whole designed to look like a porthole thing. It's not even in my top 25.

After over a year of wear.. 3 kids under the age of 6 in the house, so its not necessarily low impact use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Closed Thread