The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 8 March 2023, 06:05 PM   #1
Partekular
"TRF" Member

Nautilus/Aquanaut - not safe to wear?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-birthday.html

Googling watch theft, not just in the UK but world wide reveals a worrying trend.

What is the point of a beautiful watch if it has to live in a safe and one cannot wear it even when dining out? This is not the first time a waiter or supposedly trusted person has called in thieves when they see a customer wearing an expensive watch.

Those who wear watches as a sign of success, luxury, exclusiveness or simply flexing along Veblen lines may need to think twice.

Now these two watches have reached the attention of the mass market are they to be avoided other than as cosseted jewellery brought out of the safe for special occasions?

Perhaps Patek complications - old style - will be the stealth wealth way forward?
Old 8 March 2023, 06:59 PM   #2
DonLee
"TRF" Member

Depends where you are. I wear my nautilus and aquanaut all the time. but again, my city is quite safe.

it's really horrible. honestly, whether it's a fake nautilus or a genuine Rolex, you could be the victim of a crime. Anyone cultured enough to know about a Patek Philippe, should know that once taken to service, and that serial number comes up, the watch will be confiscated. Of course, crooks wouldn't care about this.

I think wearing high value watches, u must have insurance and be willing to part with your watch. It's not worth your life.

Not to be disrespectful. It's a really bad idea to wear fake watches, because as you see, you still draw wrong attention. Had he just worn a much more plain, but genuine watch, he would probably be still alive.
Old 8 March 2023, 07:19 PM   #3
Rushne
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: White 116500LN
I still wear mine but am pretty aware that there might be eyeballs on it. My city is pretty safe but of course things can happen.

I wore it in Rome in 2020 and the most stressful areas were the tourist spots with those guys trying to coax you to put their stupid hand made bracelets on your wrist. Ugh, just don't touch me! Leave me be hahah

I would never wear it in Barcelona. I had someone try to take my Panerai back in 2019, he grabbed my wrist to do some kind of dance thing, but I pulled my arm away (again, due to not wanting to be touched) and a stranger yelled "watch out" and he ran off, checked my wrist and saw he had already slipped the leather band out of the keeper.

I had my IWC taken from a gym locker which was annoying, but insurance paid out.

Omega: Seamaster Professional 300M 2220.80.00
Rolex: Daytona White Dial 116500LN
Rolex: Sky-Dweller Blue Dial Jubilee 336934
Rolex: DateJust 36 Roman White Dial Oyster 126234
Rolex: OP 36 Celebration Dial 126000
Panerai: PAM 422
Patek Philippe: Aquanaut 5167A
A. Lange & Söhne: 1815 Annual Calendar

@mechanicaltom Stolen: IWC Portuguese 500107 Case number 3853222
Old 8 March 2023, 08:26 PM   #4
HMHM
"TRF" Member

I still wear mine quite frequently. Just to less places. It’s okay to wear them as long as you plan your journey for the day. Unfortunately, that means no stopping at random places to eat and no detour. That’s the part that sucks these days. Singapore is the only place where I dare to wear it more liberally.
Old 8 March 2023, 09:32 PM   #5
DaBoncu2902
"TRF" Member

Im so fortunate to live in a safe place where 99% of people here seems dont really care / know about luxury watch. I cant imagine, place like Europe or US where I always dream to be able to live in become the most dangerous place for watch geek
Old 8 March 2023, 10:56 PM   #6
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBoncu2902 View Post
Im so fortunate to live in a safe place where 99% of people here seems dont really care / know about luxury watch. I cant imagine, place like Europe or US where I always dream to be able to live in become the most dangerous place for watch geek
I live in a major market in the US and wear my watches without any concern at all. I cannot believe people actually worry about things like this. Not sure how one draws enough attention to themselves that a thief targets the watch on their wrist. Short of a celebrity, which I assume most here are not.
Old 8 March 2023, 11:16 PM   #7
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

My insurance agent told me that my life insurance premiums were going to be raised because of the increase in watch related deaths in the U.S. And it not just watch related murders! People with nice watches tend to walk into oncoming traffic as a result of admiring their watches and are also prone to hiking accidents, walking off of cliffs while oogling a beautiful dial, and the like. I know this to be true as I've almost done it myself a few times.
Statistically, she told me (my insurance agent), men wearing watches worth over $10K look at their watches 3X/hour whereas those wearing watches under $1K only look at their watches once every 2 hours, probably because they're ashamed.
On the other side of the coin, men wearing expensive watches have a lower incidence of melanomas on their arms because they tend to wear long sleeves to cover their watches.
Old 8 March 2023, 11:27 PM   #8
Partekular
"TRF" Member

Watch theft is not a joke and here a selection of reports. The Met police stats are revealing…

If you do a bit of googling you will find even Geneva has an increased problem along with much of Europe.

Sadly, eye candy watches on the arms of influencers and publicity about absurd grey market sales prices have created the problem.

https://www.watchpro.com/london-poli...-half-of-2022/

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crim...-b1027101.html

https://www.met.police.uk/SysSiteAss...ember2022.xlsx

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/195771...-rolex-london/

The last one is of a Bugatti Veyron driver getting hit…
Old 8 March 2023, 11:34 PM   #9
Partekular
"TRF" Member

Watch theft is not a joke and here a selection of reports. The Met police stats are revealing…

If you do a bit of googling you will find even Geneva has an increased problem along with much of Europe.

Sadly, eye candy watches on the arms of influencers and publicity about absurd grey market sales prices have created the problem.

https://www.watchpro.com/london-poli...-half-of-2022/

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crim...-b1027101.html

https://www.met.police.uk/SysSiteAss...ember2022.xlsx

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/195771...-rolex-london/

The last one is of a Bugatti Veyron driver getting hit…

Manufacturers do not help when they release limited pieces which resell for absurd headline grabbing sums or they dish them out to ‘influencers’ who wave them about on the media.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/pa...-new-york-2021
Old 9 March 2023, 12:54 AM   #10
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

For those big strong guys concerned about watch theft consider this: when you give your intended a beautiful diamond engagement ring you are making a target out of her. Big diamond earrings for the anniversary? That's a way to lose a lobe. And yet, the ladies continue to wear their stuff. Are they braver that we are? Or are they counting on us to protect them in case of emergency? That would seem to be a big mistake on their part. No wonder you see so many women out jogging, the modern woman knows that, in a tight situation, her best hope may be able to outrun her man.
The up side of this is that the "danger" argument can be used to justify buying a 1/10th carat engagement ring (a brown diamond preferably, even the lowest crooks don't want those). And the glib man can now claim that the smaller the rock the greater the love.
Just be sure not to use the funds you're saving on the engagement ring to buy yourself a Patek.
Old 9 March 2023, 01:49 AM   #11
Mattt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cascavel View Post
For those big strong guys concerned about watch theft consider this: when you give your intended a beautiful diamond engagement ring you are making a target out of her. Big diamond earrings for the anniversary? That's a way to lose a lobe. And yet, the ladies continue to wear their stuff. Are they braver that we are? Or are they counting on us to protect them in case of emergency? That would seem to be a big mistake on their part. No wonder you see so many women out jogging, the modern woman knows that, in a tight situation, her best hope may be able to outrun her man.
The up side of this is that the "danger" argument can be used to justify buying a 1/10th carat engagement ring (a brown diamond preferably, even the lowest crooks don't want those). And the glib man can now claim that the smaller the rock the greater the love.
Just be sure not to use the funds you're saving on the engagement ring to buy yourself a Patek.
Low-quality post
Old 9 March 2023, 02:17 AM   #12
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
I wear Patek watches, including Nautilus or Aquanaut, all over the world, all the time. Now in Central Asia. Never had a problem but if someone comes at me for my watch “here it is buddy. Hope you like it. Don’t need to wait while I call my insurance company”. Where legal, I usually carry a sidearm but unless threatened would not produce it over theft.
Old 9 March 2023, 02:35 AM   #13
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattt View Post
Low-quality post
Thank you, you and the Simpson kid honor me. Although, I was hoping for something more eloquent.
Old 9 March 2023, 02:45 AM   #14
Ellz
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cascavel View Post
My insurance agent told me that my life insurance premiums were going to be raised because of the increase in watch related deaths in the U.S. And it not just watch related murders! People with nice watches tend to walk into oncoming traffic as a result of admiring their watches and are also prone to hiking accidents, walking off of cliffs while oogling a beautiful dial, and the like. I know this to be true as I've almost done it myself a few times.
Statistically, she told me (my insurance agent), men wearing watches worth over $10K look at their watches 3X/hour whereas those wearing watches under $1K only look at their watches once every 2 hours, probably because they're ashamed.
On the other side of the coin, men wearing expensive watches have a lower incidence of melanomas on their arms because they tend to wear long sleeves to cover their watches.
Old 9 March 2023, 08:23 AM   #15
LJubel328
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V25V View Post
I live in a major market in the US and wear my watches without any concern at all. I cannot believe people actually worry about things like this. Not sure how one draws enough attention to themselves that a thief targets the watch on their wrist. Short of a celebrity, which I assume most here are not.

I spend a lot of time between NYC and LA. I have never felt in danger or a target in New York.

LA on the other hand, I do not wear recognizable watches as the “safe” areas have even experienced robberies after a recent incident last November. I wore an aquanaut out one day for lunch in West Hollywood. The very next day I saw on Instagram a guy had been jumped for his Rolex at the very intersection I had been at just a few hours earlier.

Thieves watch from cars and then drive up and jump the victim. It seems, unfortunately, to be a regular occurrence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 9 March 2023, 08:46 AM   #16
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJubel328 View Post
I spend a lot of time between NYC and LA. I have never felt in danger or a target in New York.

LA on the other hand, I do not wear recognizable watches as the “safe” areas have even experienced robberies after a recent incident last November. I wore an aquanaut out one day for lunch in West Hollywood. The very next day I saw on Instagram a guy had been jumped for his Rolex at the very intersection I had been at just a few hours earlier.

Thieves watch from cars and then drive up and jump the victim. It seems, unfortunately, to be a regular occurrence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I doubt anyone looks at me twice. I fly under the radar. Quiet literally due to the fact that im vertically challenged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 9 March 2023, 09:18 AM   #17
2loaded
"TRF" Member

Watch: es watches
MadMax will save us from Societal collapse,
Old 9 March 2023, 09:27 AM   #18
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
Long live long sleeves
Old 9 March 2023, 03:41 PM   #19