The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 12 July 2018, 12:27 AM   #1
brandrea
2018 RED-SD43 Pledge Member
 
brandrea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Real Name: Brian
Location: canada
Watch: es make me smile
Posts: 27,589
BMG - Bulk Metalloc Glass

Ok paneristi ... I just saw this on IG and thought I'd post as I haven't seen this topic covered here.

Does anyone have any insight as to the pros and cons of making watch cases using this process?

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
__________________
Instagram ~ brandrea3
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 12:53 AM   #2
Cru Jones
2018 RED-SD43 Pledge Member
 
Cru Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 26,395
Ruud confirmed in another thread that the 692 is FINALLY for sale.

Here are a few excerpts from an article available on the internet (click here), but the whole article is worth a read (plus, lots of great pictures):

In short, bulk metallic glass is a metal alloy with an amorphous structure versus a crystalline structure. This allows for fewer surface imperfections in the base material, that translates into a number of benefits for the consumer.

Compared to traditional stainless steel, bulk metallic glass is 2-3 times stronger and more scratch resistant, lighter in weight, tougher in terms of rigidity, and also more corrosion resistant.

[...]

Unlike steel, bulk metallic glass has a lot more zirconium in it (which is why it has ďglassĒ in the name), and it also happens to be non-ferrous (not magnetic). Panerai says that their particular bulk metallic glass alloy blend consists of zirconium, copper, aluminum, titanium, and nickel. What matters is that BMG-TECH looks a lot like steel, and can be decorated like steel Ė but it isnít steel. Other alternative materials to metals sadly donít look like metals Ė even if they are preferred by consumers and offer manufacturing benefits. Bulk metallic glass is essentially a metal alloy, so it can be polished like metal, and is tough like metal in that a fall on a hard surface would never shatter it (a possibility with ceramic). So the goal here is to find materials that offer the same aesthetic appeal as a metal, but that are easier to produce into finely-finished parts, and that offer consumers clear durability benefits.


Cru Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 03:37 AM   #3
nick c
2018 RED-SD43 Pledge Member
 
nick c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 23,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
Ruud confirmed in another thread that the 692 is FINALLY for sale.

Here are a few excerpts from an article available on the internet (click here), but the whole article is worth a read (plus, lots of great pictures):

In short, bulk metallic glass is a metal alloy with an amorphous structure versus a crystalline structure. This allows for fewer surface imperfections in the base material, that translates into a number of benefits for the consumer.

Compared to traditional stainless steel, bulk metallic glass is 2-3 times stronger and more scratch resistant, lighter in weight, tougher in terms of rigidity, and also more corrosion resistant.

[...]

Unlike steel, bulk metallic glass has a lot more zirconium in it (which is why it has ďglassĒ in the name), and it also happens to be non-ferrous (not magnetic). Panerai says that their particular bulk metallic glass alloy blend consists of zirconium, copper, aluminum, titanium, and nickel. What matters is that BMG-TECH looks a lot like steel, and can be decorated like steel Ė but it isnít steel. Other alternative materials to metals sadly donít look like metals Ė even if they are preferred by consumers and offer manufacturing benefits. Bulk metallic glass is essentially a metal alloy, so it can be polished like metal, and is tough like metal in that a fall on a hard surface would never shatter it (a possibility with ceramic). So the goal here is to find materials that offer the same aesthetic appeal as a metal, but that are easier to produce into finely-finished parts, and that offer consumers clear durability benefits.



Bingo 👍
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 03:51 AM   #4
bruinmd
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Real Name: Sal
Location: Louisiana
Watch: Hulk/PAM 1312
Posts: 225
I won't post what I was going to, b/c Cru's excerpt he found was perfect.

I am drooling over this watch, and praying Panerai makes it in a 44mm. I will wait for as long as I have to if that happens.
Unfortunately, when I spoke to the guys at the boutique in Beverly Hills, I'm not terribly confident that will happen.

There will be a lot more of the carbotech watches that come out in the next few years from what I heard, but the BMG -- not so sure about that.
Much will depend on how the 47mm submersible is received, given that they have finally overcome the stumbling blocks that delayed the watch's release.
I would imagine people who get it are going to love it, so hopefully they see that and will produce similar models
bruinmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 07:29 AM   #5
kauebm
2018 RED-SD43 Pledge Member
 
kauebm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Real Name: KauÍ
Location: 780
Posts: 5,796
It's a great looking piece. My only "but" is that I wish they had put the "BMG-Tech" designation on the case back instead of the dial.
kauebm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 09:23 PM   #6
brandrea
2018 RED-SD43 Pledge Member
 
brandrea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Real Name: Brian
Location: canada
Watch: es make me smile
Posts: 27,589
Kind of hoping Paul sees this thread and comments ... I wonder if he’s seen it?
__________________
Instagram ~ brandrea3
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 10:30 PM   #7
nick c
2018 RED-SD43 Pledge Member
 
nick c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 23,593
Weíre is Paul?^^
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 11:37 PM   #8
Ruud Van Driver
2018 RED-SD43 Pledge Member
 
Ruud Van Driver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Real Name: Chopped Liver
Location: Singapore/UK
Watch: Mickey Mouse
Posts: 9,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Kind of hoping Paul sees this thread and comments ... I wonder if he’s seen it?
Seen it, tried it and, if I’m honest, was a little underwhelmed by it. I don’t dislike it but, and this is going to sound a bit messed up, it was lacking something. I don’t know what, but it felt like there was something missing. It was if I had a non-functioning prototype on my wrist and not the real thing. Doesn’t look all that much in the flesh either, I’d much rather a 389

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=610960

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick c View Post
We’re is Paul?^^
I’m here, mate.

My head is elsewhere of late; got a lot going on with moving back to the UK in just over three weeks and yet another injury keeping me out of the gym
__________________


116520 Black, 116610 LVc, 116660 D-Blue, 116610 LNc, 116622 Blue, PAM 359, PAM 689, PAM 737

"I'm going to add that at 68 years of age, I don't give a rat's patootie what others may think of my attire."
© Grady Philpott

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 11:54 PM   #9
nick c
2018 RED-SD43 Pledge Member
 
nick c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 23,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruud Van Driver View Post
Seen it, tried it and, if Iím honest, was a little underwhelmed by it. I donít dislike it but, and this is going to sound a bit messed up, it was lacking something. I donít know what, but it felt like there was something missing. It was if I had a non-functioning prototype on my wrist and not the real thing. Doesnít look all that much in the flesh either, Iíd much rather a 389

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=610960



Iím here, mate.

My head is elsewhere of late; got a lot going on with moving back to the UK in just over three weeks and yet another injury keeping me out of the gym

Wishing you all the best my friend 🙏
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2018, 12:56 AM   #10
brandrea
2018 RED-SD43 Pledge Member
 
brandrea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Real Name: Brian
Location: canada
Watch: es make me smile
Posts: 27,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruud Van Driver View Post
Seen it, tried it and, if Iím honest, was a little underwhelmed by it. I donít dislike it but, and this is going to sound a bit messed up, it was lacking something. I donít know what, but it felt like there was something missing. It was if I had a non-functioning prototype on my wrist and not the real thing. Doesnít look all that much in the flesh either, Iíd much rather a 389

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=610960



Iím here, mate.

My head is elsewhere of late; got a lot going on with moving back to the UK in just over three weeks and yet another injury keeping me out of the gym
Interesting info Paul, thank you. I'm always appreciative of your thoughts on anything Panerai.

I suppose there's no substitute for good ole SS


Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
__________________
Instagram ~ brandrea3
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:54 PM   #11
Ruud Van Driver
2018 RED-SD43 Pledge Member
 
Ruud Van Driver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Real Name: Chopped Liver
Location: Singapore/UK
Watch: Mickey Mouse
Posts: 9,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick c View Post
Wishing you all the best my friend ��
Thank you, my brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Interesting info Paul, thank you. I'm always appreciative of your thoughts on anything Panerai.

I suppose there's no substitute for good ole SS


Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Ah, don't listen to me, Brian. I'm too gaffe-prone

If the 692 interests you, then go check it out. As I said in my post about it, I'd have one as part of a collection if I had a lot more money to splash but there are other PAM Submersibles that I'd go for first, as well as the 424.

It might really blow your skirt up; we're all different, mate
__________________


116520 Black, 116610 LVc, 116660 D-Blue, 116610 LNc, 116622 Blue, PAM 359, PAM 689, PAM 737

"I'm going to add that at 68 years of age, I don't give a rat's patootie what others may think of my attire."
© Grady Philpott

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


*Banner Of The Month*
This space is provided to horological resources.





Copyright ©2004-2018, The Rolex Forums. All Rights Reserved.

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Rolex is a registered trademark of ROLEX USA. The Rolex Forums is not affiliated with ROLEX USA in any way.