The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 28 February 2021, 03:13 PM   #1
Chris78613
"TRF" Member

About my 5513 watch

I bought my Rolex 5513 in 1969 at a shop in St Thomas, Virgin Island. I have worn it on my wrist every day through thick and thin. Last year it developed a small leak in the lens, allowing moisture into the innards of the watch. I put it in a sealed jar of white rice. Eventually I saved up the money to have it repaired. I sent it to a duly authorized Rolex service center in Dallas.
They sent me a estimate for the cost of repairs. They said the case was so badly deteriorated that it could not be repaired. They offered to replace the case, cover and crystal for a price. They would do necessary repairs and service to the movement. I agreed to the repairs and also purchased a new Rolex bracelet to go with it. The price was slightly above $6,000.00.
Now to my real question. Having had all the outward parts of the watch replaced, is the collectable value of a ancient 5513 reduced? The repair man said some of the needed parts were not available so he used a different dial using the numbers first dial. Is it still able to be described as an antique 5513?
I wore this all through my time in Vietnam, minus the bracelet, but with a Navy issue strap on it. I usually wore it under my sock on my ankle to make sure it was not stolen along the way. When I came back to the world, it went back on my wrist. Aside for the time it was being repaired and serviced every 5 years, that is where it was.
So, does anyone have any advice to the watch being described accurately
as a 5513?
Chris78613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2021, 11:00 PM   #2
Sunny Arizona
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613
It’s a 5513 with a service case and replacement dial. I think they usually start with 444..
To the collectors the value is less but I think you have a new incarnation of an awesome 5513. Wear and enjoy.
Sunny Arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2021, 12:34 AM   #3
fmc000
Banned

Terrible news. I'm really sorry but you very likely destroyed the value of your watch. On the positive side you will have a new daily wearer for many more years.

Inviato dal mio SM-T719 utilizzando Tapatalk
fmc000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2021, 12:53 AM   #4
saxo3
"TRF" Member

About my 5513 watch

Thanks for sharing your history with that watch, it is unforgettable for you and independant of vintage value today, wear your 5513 as it is.
Service case, replacement dial decrease value for many here, but I would not care so much, for a 5513 that went with you through Vietnam.... Your story and memories with that watch are priceless. Enjoy it !!!
saxo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2021, 03:38 AM   #5
Nickn
"TRF" Member

If all those parts were change it wouldn’t be the watch that went through Vietnam with you
Uk members will remember triggers spade
It might be worth contacting an independent who could repair the case
Nickn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2021, 05:06 AM   #6
HiBoost
"TRF" Member

Have the repairs already been completed? I personally would not go through with the repairs unless you are able to keep the original parts afterwards. And this opinion is not based on market value, but rather on what made it "your watch". That case went through one hell of a ride with you, and even if you are no longer able to count on it for waterproof service in a watch (I'd want to verify that with a highly regarded independent watchmaker) I'd want to have it in my drawer, or on a chain around my neck, or something, anything, other than the waste basket at RSC.
HiBoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2021, 05:17 AM   #7
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris78613 View Post
. . .
Now to my real question. Having had all the outward parts of the watch replaced, is the collectable value of a ancient 5513 reduced? The repair man said some of the needed parts were not available so he used a different dial using the numbers first dial. Is it still able to be described as an antique 5513?
. . .
So, does anyone have any advice to the watch being described accurately
as a 5513?
You have history and provenance with your watch, a very rare thing indeed.

What you do not have is an "all original" 5513, and so, much like any modern restoration, you have a restoration of "your" 5513.

It would definitely be accurately described as a 5513 because that is what it is - restored or not.
Old 1 March 2021, 06:43 AM   #8
spoilsofwar01
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing Rainclouds
photos

Hi Chris, by chance any before and after photos?
Smiths W10 1968
Tissot Seastar 2011
spoilsofwar01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2021, 09:12 AM   #9
Walster
"TRF" Member

I would have done the repairs as well. What’s the value of a deteriorated case? It’s a working tool watch that was no longer fit for its intended purpose. Rolex service got it working again.
Walster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2021, 11:33 AM   #10
Liga
Banned

Watch: Bulova Marriage
The original case was beyond repair, and leaking.
If you kept the original case and did not have it repaired, by now you may have a rusty mess inside.
And if you continued to love it and wear it, it may be completely beyond repair at this point because you could not keep water from entering even more every day.

You did the right thing. You repaired a watch to the point of being able to love it and wear it every day.

The cost of replacement was probably more than what you paid for repairs of your loved watch.
Liga is offline   Reply With Quote