The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 15 February 2022, 08:03 PM   #1
taura
"TRF" Member

Icon5 Reverso Classic Monoface worth the price?

Hi all,

Seeking advice on the large JLC Reverso Classic Monoface Small Seconds (3858520).

I want to add a dressier watch on leather to my small collection (Rolex Datejust, GS White Birch, some beaters). While I would love to add a Glasshütte Original for diversity (German/Swiss/Japanese, see?) and its awesome finishing, none of their current lineup feels right.

The Reverso is cool but the price seems very steep for a steel watch with such a simple movement. Also I wonder about the finishing - it doesn't seem to be comparable to GO, but I'm only able to view it at the AD with plastics on, which makes it difficult to assess. What do you think - is it good value at current prices (assuming 10 % discount or so), or would I be paying just for the brand? Pre-owned is not an option this time.

Just for reference, in my opinion most Rolex models at retail price are decent value and Grand Seikos very good to decent. GO is something different, especially the finishing compared to other sub 10k offerings, but the sizes are mostly too large for me.
taura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2022, 08:24 PM   #2
youthagainsttt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Piaget,Rolex,AP,HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by taura View Post
Hi all,

Seeking advice on the large JLC Reverso Classic Monoface Small Seconds (3858520).

I want to add a dressier watch on leather to my small collection (Rolex Datejust, GS White Birch, some beaters). While I would love to add a Glasshütte Original for diversity (German/Swiss/Japanese, see?) and its awesome finishing, none of their current lineup feels right.

The Reverso is cool but the price seems very steep for a steel watch with such a simple movement. Also I wonder about the finishing - it doesn't seem to be comparable to GO, but I'm only able to view it at the AD with plastics on, which makes it difficult to assess. What do you think - is it on par with other brands at current prices (assuming 10 % discount or so), or would I be paying just for the history and "Swiss Made"? Pre-owned is not an option this time.

Just for reference, in my opinion most Rolex models at retail price are decent value and Grand Seikos very good to decent. GO is something different in terms of finishing but the sizes are mostly too large for me.
I'm a fan of JLC having owned a Reverso grande calendar previously but this iteration is a bit too simple for my taste. I'd go for the modern Small seconds w/sword hands which looks a bit more elegant & just a bit of je ne sais quoi. The one with blue, green or burgundy dial. My favourite is the green
youthagainsttt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2022, 08:30 PM   #3
taura
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youthagainsttt View Post
I'm a fan of JLC having owned a Reverso grande calendar previously but this iteration is a bit too simple for my taste. I'd go for the modern Small seconds w/sword hands which looks a bit more elegant & just a bit of je ne sais quoi. The one with blue, green or burgundy dial. My favourite is the green
Good thinking. I should add that I also find the price easier to swallow on the Tribute models. However, I'm averse of non-lumed hands on sunburst dials. I hate it when the time isn't always easy to read.
Old 15 February 2022, 09:23 PM   #4
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

I think the Reverso is one of the bargain buys at used / grey dealer prices. Especially when you get into gold.

I've been considering a Grande Taille in rose gold. They are very well priced on the market when you consider how much the steel tribute models are.

This is one of those moments where buyers should be taking advantage of the soft market on these.
Sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2022, 11:45 AM   #5
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
I own a Reverso DuoFace. I enjoy it very much. I got a substantial discount at an AD. I think that I bought it about four years ago.
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2022, 12:02 PM   #6
sportsfan0704
"TRF" Member

I was just strongly considering the reverso. Tried it on 4x. Love the history. Love the Art Deco. The reason I decided not to buy is that I find so many of the older models of the reverso to be better than the current version, especially the moon phase with day and date and the automatic version without small seconds. Something about the small seconds on the modern version is a little off putting for me, I just can’t perfectly explain why. I wish they offered more black dials as well.

In my opinion, there are better square or rectangular watches available out there. The santos and tank americaine come to mind. I decided to go with the santos.
sportsfan0704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2022, 12:43 PM   #7
Panych
"TRF" Member

I like my reverso classic duoface small second. This is really two different watches in one case. The quality of finishing is top notch. I would call it as a watch for perfectionists.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 178C907D-6C40-4B58-BA63-351FF89D7F29.jpeg (235.4 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpeg 03B36241-4143-4A1B-9DC2-2C11335E4A8D.jpeg (222.3 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpeg 026D83C0-7DD7-49F2-A1EF-96D71E4D64F1.jpeg (146.8 KB, 139 views)
Panych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2022, 01:10 PM   #8
Justindo
"TRF" Member

I think JLC offers very good value for the money and the Reverso is iconic with quality well above competing Cartiers, although JLCs are not as well finished as the GOs. I have an older white gold Sun Moon and a current version steel Duo in the medium case, although I got good discounts on both. Personally, I would opt for the Duo, as it's like having two watches in one but I would aim for a good discount.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2022, 10:26 PM   #9
taura
"TRF" Member

Thank you all for the viewpoints and suggestions! It really helps to make the right choice.

Quote:
This is one of those moments where buyers should be taking advantage of the soft market on these.
Yes, I definitely need to consider reputable grey market dealers. It would be nice to have the papers on my own name (and stamped on my birthday), but may not be worth the price difference, at least if I can still get the 8 year warranty.

Quote:
In my opinion, there are better square or rectangular watches available out there. The santos and tank americaine come to mind. I decided to go with the santos.
Tank Americaine doesn't do it for me; I find the proportions odd. I absolutely love the Santos but Reverso seems to match my style and personality better (even though I'm much more interested in flying than horse polo :D ), and I think it overlaps less with the Datejust 36 that I already have.

Quote:
I like my reverso classic duoface small second. This is really two different watches in one case. The quality of finishing is top notch. I would call it as a watch for perfectionists.
Haha, talk about validation!

Quote:
I think JLC offers very good value for the money and the Reverso is iconic with quality well above competing Cartiers, although JLCs are not as well finished as the GOs. I have an older white gold Sun Moon and a current version steel Duo in the medium case, although I got good discounts on both. Personally, I would opt for the Duo, as it's like having two watches in one but I would aim for a good discount.
That's very interesting re. Cartier vs JLC vs GO. I think my concerns about JLC quality just stem from comparing it directly with GO (the AD's are about 50 meters apart and my runner-up candidate was PanomaticLunar). I think having a Reverso still leaves room for a different dress watch if GO releases something fitting in the coming years (or if I manage to save up for a Lange).

Thanks again all!
Old 17 February 2022, 01:52 AM   #10
sportsfan0704
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taura View Post
Thank you all for the viewpoints and suggestions! It really helps to make the right choice.

Yes, I definitely need to consider reputable grey market dealers. It would be nice to have the papers on my own name (and stamped on my birthday), but may not be worth the price difference, at least if I can still get the 8 year warranty.

Tank Americaine doesn't do it for me; I find the proportions odd. I absolutely love the Santos but Reverso seems to match my style and personality better (even though I'm much more interested in flying than horse polo :D ), and I think it overlaps less with the Datejust 36 that I already have.

Haha, talk about validation!

That's very interesting re. Cartier vs JLC vs GO. I think my concerns about JLC quality just stem from comparing it directly with GO (the AD's are about 50 meters apart and my runner-up candidate was PanomaticLunar). I think having a Reverso still leaves room for a different dress watch if GO releases something fitting in the coming years (or if I manage to save up for a Lange).

Thanks again all!
I also have a 36mm datejust and went back and forth on whether the santos would overlap with it. While they’re both “small” steel watches, the ability to put the santos on a black leather strap to me elevates that watch to a dressier option in a way that the datejust just can’t compete with. Now, if your datejust is a white Roman then I think it would be too similiar. But any other configuration I think would provide diversity. Plus, the ability to wear the metal bracelet or a leather strap on the santos provides a similiar 2 watch experience that a reverso can.
sportsfan0704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2022, 11:39 PM   #11
talkingbollox
"TRF" Member

If you're after a rectangular dress watch, have you considered a pre-owned Cellini Prince? Beautifully finished in precious metal, and the only modern Rolex with an exhibition case back.
talkingbollox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2022, 12:02 AM   #12
taura
"TRF" Member

Icon7

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkingbollox View Post
If you're after a rectangular dress watch, have you considered a pre-owned Cellini Prince? Beautifully finished in precious metal, and the only modern Rolex with an exhibition case back.
That one is new to me! I'm not sure if I prefer the case and dial design to Reverso, but DAMN that movement is nice. I'll definitely look into it. Thanks!

Tags
jlc , reverso