The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 22 July 2020, 10:00 PM   #1
JTL31
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Would you do this trade?

*Mods please move to another forum if post content merits it*

For the sake of discussion...and your playing “devil’s advocate” for me would you make the following trade? Submariner LVc (Hulk) for both the GS SBGA413 Spring edition of the Four Seasons collection & Rolex OP White dial (w/potential cash back).

I’m a watch enthusiast, not a true collector. Hence, I adhere to motto of quality over quantity. Let me know your thoughts...
I think I KNOW what the Rolex folks would say... what say you?!?
JTL31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2020, 10:04 PM   #2
toptier
"TRF" Member

While I would definitely wear the Sakura Spring Drive and White OP over the Hulk, I guess you're getting the shorter end of the stick if you'll trade your Hulk for both. Assuming all of them are in excellent condition, how much cash are we looking at?
toptier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2020, 10:09 PM   #3
JTL31

Quote:
Originally Posted by toptier View Post
While I would definitely wear the Sakura Spring Drive and White OP over the Hulk, I guess you're getting the shorter end of the stick if you'll trade your Hulk for both. Assuming all of them are in excellent condition, how much cash are we looking at?
More research on that is needed on my part yet...
Both OP & GS would be new; LVc is 3 y.o. excellent shape.
I love all 3 models but am getting up in age. Am wondering how long I can pull off the Hulk as a female Lol
Old 22 July 2020, 11:40 PM   #4
kevn00
"TRF" Member

wear what makes you happy, not what you think you can pull off. i wouldn't make that trade if that was your reason
kevn00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2020, 11:52 PM   #5
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
The values of the watches are significantly off from the value of the Hulk. Provided the Hulk is complete the trade value for a watch three years old is around 13.5K. The margins on the Grand Seiko's are typically 60% of msrp. Do the math and see that you need back around 5-7k or more. If the Hulk is discontinued in September with the new Rolex releases then the value goes up over night 20-30%. The sum of the two watches do not come close to the sum of the Hulk, money wise or bang. If you want to move the Hulk then contact our Trusted Sellers and cash out of the Hulk and go buy the other watches for 30% off retail on a cash deal. I would not get rid of the Hulk right now. Wait and see what is coming in a little over a month.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2020, 02:13 AM   #6
JTL31

Would you do this trade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
The values of the watches are significantly off from the value of the Hulk. Provided the Hulk is complete the trade value for a watch three years old is around 13.5K. The margins on the Grand Seiko's are typically 60% of msrp. Do the math and see that you need back around 5-7k or more. If the Hulk is discontinued in September with the new Rolex releases then the value goes up over night 20-30%. The sum of the two watches do not come close to the sum of the Hulk, money wise or bang. If you want to move the Hulk then contact our Trusted Sellers and cash out of the Hulk and go buy the other watches for 30% off retail on a cash deal. I would not get rid of the Hulk right now. Wait and see what is coming in a little over a month.

I like your thinking... I have no intention of making a deal immediately, but am wanting to do my research. I appreciate the comments! Keep them coming...
Also, I could save for one of the above mentioned & keep the Hulk (thinking)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 23 July 2020, 10:03 AM   #7
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

bad trade money wise. you should definitely get cash back on that. i like the hulk way more than the OP, id much rather save up for the grand seiko than do this trade.
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2020, 10:20 AM   #8
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

In a heartbeat I would, because I don't like the Hulk and I LOVE the OP white dial and the GS Spring Drive. Cash back is a bonus.
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2020, 10:40 AM   #9
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
I hate to give you the generic answer but that's a question only you can answer.

If you want my opinion FWIW I would do that trade in heartbeat. The Sakura dial is amazing. And the bezel of the LV really turns me off. I don't find that watch attractive at all. The GS and OP are both watches that you could wear with almost anything. And every time I've seen an LV on someone I thought it looked out of place. Just my opinion. I know it's a super popular watch and I'm happy for everyone that loves it.
42itus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2020, 02:07 PM   #10
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Cannot approve due to substantial money loss on your end.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2020, 11:54 PM   #11
JTL31

Any technical considerations (advice) anyone?
TRF has been a great learning source for me...TIA!
Old 26 July 2020, 04:42 AM   #12
JTL31

Went for a visit just to look today at GS models today. The SA couldn’t answer a given question, so I’ll pose a few to you pro’s.
What is the general cost of a service for the Spring Drive model? How about length of time between service intervals?

Was fun to see GS in person finally! The one model they didn’t have was the Spring variant; they were nice enough to size the Winter version for me to get a realistic idea. I can definitely see the attraction to GS models. Saw the Godzilla- Wow; no Peacock dials though.
No worries - my Sub stayed at home!
Old 26 July 2020, 11:09 PM   #13
KBM

As others have pointed out, selling the hulk privately and purchasing the 2 others will yield better resuts. Good luck!
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote