The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 12 January 2012, 02:56 AM   #1
malnik
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub-Date-C
Thoughts on Boutique Editions?

As you all know, Panerai came out with a series of Boutique Editions the last few years. Noticeably Paris, Taiwan, China and now NYC and Beverly Hills editions. They are all limited editions around 150pcs per style and only available at Boutique locations.

I'm interested in the Beverly Hills version only because I live there. I don't know much about Panerai. Do these watches really stand out to other Panerai watches? It is worth the premium to get special boutique editions?
malnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2012, 03:24 AM   #2
B. Doggy
"TRF" Member

Not for me.
Old 12 January 2012, 03:35 AM   #3
RedBaronF2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by malnik View Post
As you all know, Panerai came out with a series of Boutique Editions the last few years. Noticeably Paris, Taiwan, China and now NYC and Beverly Hills editions. They are all limited editions around 150pcs per style and only available at Boutique locations.

I'm interested in the Beverly Hills version only because I live there. I don't know much about Panerai. Do these watches really stand out to other Panerai watches? It is worth the premium to get special boutique editions?
Panerai is now the king of "slap an engraved caseback on it" and call it a limited edition these days. I used to love how their catalog was simple (like the watches) and now their lineup is inundated with LEs, SEs, and variants of the same watch. I can't keep up anymore.

To me, it's not worth the premium for a watch that mirrors another in the catalog and simply has an engraved caseback (or "pig" on the dial). Let's not forget, too, that Panerai "got caught" putting a poorly finished movement in the NY Boutique edition (the 318). Fortunately, they rectified the situation.
RedBaronF2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2012, 03:40 AM   #4
ocwatching
"TRF" Member

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

I have (had) the 416 and 413...these pieces are only significant if the locations meant something..in my case..my home town and homeland...
but I am not an advocate for paying over MSRP for any piece...
Old 12 January 2012, 03:41 AM   #5
eric23
"TRF" Member

I like the "pig" on the dial!
eric23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2012, 04:24 AM   #6
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBaronF2001 View Post
Panerai is now the king of "slap an engraved caseback on it" and call it a limited edition these days. I used to love how their catalog was simple (like the watches) and now their lineup is inundated with LEs, SEs, and variants of the same watch. I can't keep up anymore.

To me, it's not worth the premium for a watch that mirrors another in the catalog and simply has an engraved caseback (or "pig" on the dial). Let's not forget, too, that Panerai "got caught" putting a poorly finished movement in the NY Boutique edition (the 318). Fortunately, they rectified the situation.

IMO, it's a little aggressive to say the boutique editions "inundated" the catalogue. In the end, they were one-off 150 set runs for a limited number of boutiques that, with the engraving, mean something special to their owners. A drop in the bucket and just something a little unique. It's all good (if you like the pig on the dial ).

Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2012, 04:29 AM   #7
RedBaronF2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
IMO, it's a little aggressive to say the boutique editions "inundated" the catalogue. In the end, they were one-off 150 set runs for a limited number of boutiques that, with the engraving, mean something special to their owners. A drop in the bucket and just something a little unique. It's all good (if you like the pig on the dial ).

I meant all the LEs and SEs combined have cluttered their catalog. I'm glad pieces like the 372 have come along to make it more grounded.
RedBaronF2001 is offline   Reply With Quote