The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 23 October 2011, 11:38 PM   #1
ExpII
Banned

Watch: Milgauss, PAM 359
Panerai durability?

Hello -

So, the sport Rolex models are labelled "tool watches" by most and they generally seem to live up to the monkier. How does Panerai stack up? Will I be able to hike, climb and run about with my (not yet acquired 359) the way I would with my old Explorer II? Is a PAM more of a watch for show?

Any input is appreciated.

chris
ExpII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2011, 12:42 AM   #2
B. Doggy
"TRF" Member

of course...
Old 24 October 2011, 01:20 AM   #3
xjeeunitx
2024 Pledge Member

I think it all depends on what kind of model you get.
xjeeunitx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2011, 01:27 AM   #4
mmancari
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ap Diver 5513Rolex
In my opinion, the general sport models would refer to the submersible's, Pam 88 and automatics like the 359, 351, 312. It all depends...Watch the "how it was made" Panerai on YouTube. I think it's a 351 but it's basically the same watch as the 359. All are very nice watches. You will be happy
mmancari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2011, 01:30 AM   #5
nauticajoe
"TRF" Member

It it was good enough for the Italian Navy.....Sure!
nauticajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2011, 01:52 AM   #6
drtooth73
Banned

Watch: TT GMT IIC
Quote:
Originally Posted by nauticajoe View Post
x2
drtooth73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2011, 02:11 AM   #7
barstoolman
Banned

Quote:
That's not really saying much............can you name a famous or historic Italian Navy battle or victory???
barstoolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2011, 02:12 AM   #8
barstoolman
Banned

I go shooting all the time with my 416.........no big deal.
Old 24 October 2011, 02:35 AM   #9
fespo276
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Didn't Rambo wear one?
fespo276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2011, 02:47 AM   #10
ExpII
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by barstoolman View Post
That's not really saying much............can you name a famous or historic Italian Navy battle or victory???
I was thinking the exact same thing.
Old 24 October 2011, 02:59 AM   #11
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fespo276 View Post
Didn't Rambo wear one?

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2011, 03:38 AM   #12
nauticajoe
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Who said anything about winning battles pal.
Old 24 October 2011, 03:40 AM   #13
PanosI
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16710
Quote:
Originally Posted by fespo276 View Post
Didn't Rambo wear one?
PanosI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2011, 04:02 AM   #14
barstoolman
Banned

Quote:
Who said anything about winning battles pal.
Nothing special about a Navy that is known for absolutely nothing wearing a Panerai.......pal!!!! Its funny that you put a "thinking" icon at the end of your sentence.........it reminds me of a Three Stooges quote from Curly........."I'm thinking but nothing is happening" .......very apropos to your comment.
Old 24 October 2011, 04:21 AM   #15
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
isn't this really a question of ETA reliability?

most recently produced pam's have in-house movements but certainly small percentage, read about reliability issues with these.. to be expected as they get their kinks out.
Old 24 October 2011, 04:55 AM   #16
nauticajoe
"TRF" Member

Oh my! Sounds like we were neglected as a child!!!
Old 24 October 2011, 07:57 AM   #17
swazi85

Watch: Rolex DSSD
I have wondered this myself actually, when I bought my 88 recent, the jeweller said to me it's not in the same league as my DSSD durability wise, I.e with daily wear it will take more punishment. Not sure how true that is.
swazi85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2011, 08:57 AM   #18
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
If you are talking daily wear, swimming, excercise etc you shouldn't have any problems st all. They are very adequate for this. If you are talking about swimming to bottom of ocean then I would get a true beater. These watches cost lots of money so how you treated is up to you. I never take my watches off but I also don't try to thrash them. Ymmv.

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2011, 09:43 AM   #19
runs_wscissors

I sympathize with the original poster. Panerai's are typically on a strap, have something polished(bezel, case or crown protector) and the 312/359 (1950's) automatics are hefty in comparison to a 16570, for example. Given the current prices I don't have the liberty of getting both a Rolex and a PAM, so it has been a bit of a challenge to decide what to get for my first (and maybe only) mechanical watch. My significant other likes the dresser look of the PAMs, which I totally understand, and I like the brushed SS everday utility of a Exp. II. With a $5k ceiling a PAM 210 or a used 16570 are completely different watches, that both make for compelling choices.
runs_wscissors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2011, 10:42 AM   #20
ExpII
Banned

I'm sure it will be fine. I don't beat on watches but I do wear them if you know what I mean. My Milgauss' has lived for sure. I'll pick up a G shock for the real rough stuff.
Old 24 October 2011, 11:11 AM   #21
MP5
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

I think some need to read a bit of history. Panerai was featured in some famous special ops missions, some great feats of importance and moments in history. How bout the German special ops? Were there no battles by the Germans? You know they wore them too. The one the English captured branched into a whole new branch of horology. But yea, nothing

To the OP, I would NOT consider the 359 a "tool" watch in the sense we look at the sub or the Panerai manual wind historics. I do not trust the quick release system nearly as much as the screw in system. I dont trust the 40% thinner crystals as much as the historic lines, I dont trust the in house movts nearly as much as the century old tried and tested 6497. Lastly the 1950s case sits significantly higher on the wrist than the low and flat historics.
MP5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2011, 11:23 AM   #22
brkanand
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 4=YMDaytonaGMTHulk
Icon14

Quote:
Is that true? Looks like the then Italian Navy decided to make Panerai watches.
brkanand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2011, 01:19 PM   #23
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 ln
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpII View Post
Hello -

So, the sport Rolex models are labelled "tool watches" by most and they generally seem to live up to the monkier. How does Panerai stack up? Will I be able to hike, climb and run about with my (not yet acquired 359) the way I would with my old Explorer II? Is a PAM more of a watch for show?

Any input is appreciated.

chris
from experience it is durable and tough. never afraid of water. better lume than rolex especially useful at night.

only problem i love putting it on leather straps so i try not to get it soaked. and another problem its big and heavy so i avoid using it for physical activities.

just put in on rubber strap and you can go scuba, hiking whatever you want. btw im using a pam112 (historic model)
htc8p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2011, 01:51 PM   #24
fstnlgl
"TRF" Member

I have a Rolex DSSD and Panerai Pam 326 (both straps & bracelet). Trade off weekly and both are up to the task at hand with exception of deep WR. Enjoy them both without fear of the elements or activity.
fstnlgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2011, 08:42 PM   #25
ExpII
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP5 View Post
I think some need to read a bit of history. Panerai was featured in some famous special ops missions, some great feats of importance and moments in history. How bout the German special ops? Were there no battles by the Germans? You know they wore them too. The one the English captured branched into a whole new branch of horology. But yea, nothing
The Germans lost, I don't care what they wore. And to that point, they used to be pretty badass? I was originally getting at my first impression of the watch in terms of durability didn't seem to compare to Rolex.

As long as you use anything for its intended purpose, I'll be OK. I have a sense now for the PAM and what it's for and I'll act accordingly. I appreciate all the feedback.
Old 28 October 2011, 03:55 AM   #26
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpII View Post
The Germans lost, I don't care what they wore.
Old 28 October 2011, 08:02 AM   #27
barstoolman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP5 View Post

To the OP, I would NOT consider the 359 a "tool" watch in the sense we look at the sub or the Panerai manual wind historics. I do not trust the quick release system nearly as much as the screw in system. I dont trust the 40% thinner crystals as much as the historic lines, I dont trust the in house movts nearly as much as the century old tried and tested 6497. Lastly the 1950s case sits significantly higher on the wrist than the low and flat historics.
Hey......I love Italians.........I'm half Italian but let me tell you something, when it comes to modern warfare, other than the Italian Army running roughshod over a helpless Ethiopia, Italy did not put up much of a fight in WWII. The Germans did most of the heavy lifting even when the Americans and English invaded Italy. You made a lot of broad statements but where's the facts and the names of those famous Italian Naval Battles and/or victories????? I thought so.

As for Germany, we know how that ended. What makes you so certain the Germans wore Italian watches???? Just because they were Allies........that's a leap. You just keep going ahead and promote the great war effort by Germany and Italy.........that's a side I wouldn't be on.

BTW, I was the one that said Panerais are tough...........I go shooting with mine on all the time...........no problems, no worries. Great watch.........love it!!!!!
Old 28 October 2011, 08:57 AM   #28
yannis
"TRF" Member

Watch: maniac
The original question was not whether the watch was bomb proof... i think the original poster only needed them for cycling, climbing, hiking etc. The only one that's for naval battles is the Deepsea btw

yannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2011, 11:13 AM   #29
Watchdog
"TRF" Member

Watch: I can't tell time
Quote:
Watchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2011, 12:12 PM   #30
MP5
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Hey......I love Italians.........I'm half Italian but let me tell you something, when it comes to modern warfare, other than the Italian Army running roughshod over a helpless Ethiopia, Italy did not put up much of a fight in WWII. The Germans did most of the heavy lifting even when the Americans and English invaded Italy. You made a lot of broad statements but where's the facts and the names of those famous Italian Naval Battles and/or victories????? I thought so.

You are either taking great liberties with what I said or didnt understand what I wrote, to remind you:
" Panerai was featured in some famous special ops missions, some great feats of importance and moments in history

As you can see what I said and your crowing for "Naval victories" are as related as your standard for horological significance only being important if someone "won". I cant Derp that far.

One of the "famous Special Ops missions":
Panerai Radiomir watches entered permanent and effective service in the Royal Italian Navy in 1938; they also entered the pages of history as participants in some legendary exploits. These watches were worn by commandos and Gamma forces who perpetrated the most thrilling and audacious attacks on the ships of enemy navies, approaching their targets either by swimming or on board special torpedoes known as “pigs”. The most sensational attack took place at the end of 1941 in the port of Alexandria, Egypt, when six commandos put out of action two battleships and a naval tanker, in effect removing the backbone of the British Mediterranean fleet. The hero of this mission was Lieutenant Luigi Durand De La Penne. He was captured, but a few minutes before the charge he had placed was about to go off, he told the English captain that the ship should be evacuated so that its crew would be saved. At the pre-arranged hour the Valiant was blown up and with it De La Penne and his number two, who had also been captured in the meantime, the two men being shut in the hold. The two Italians survived and De La Penne, recommended for the gold medal of honour by his enemy, was described in the words of
the British admiral as “the deliverer of the greatest blow which a single man has ever inflicted on a fleet”.
More Here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luigi_Durand_de_la_Penne

As a 1/150 owner of a boutique edition, you might derive some enjoyment on looking other exploits up on your own

As for Germany, we know how that ended. What makes you so certain the Germans wore Italian watches???? Just because they were Allies........that's a leap. You just keep going ahead and promote the great war effort by Germany and Italy.........that's a side I wouldn't be on.

Oh, nothing

BTW, I was the one that said Panerais are tough...........I go shooting with mine on all the time...........no problems, no worries. Great watch.........love it!!!!!
all in post
MP5 is offline   Reply With Quote