The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 1 November 2011, 01:32 AM   #31
barstoolman
Banned

You got me there........one so-called "famous" mission with 6 guys............ Stellar......what a grand tradition. It's so nice to see that you are so proud of the Axis powers in WWII and their exploits. What's next..........showing pictures of SS guards in the death camps wearing Panerais to let us all know how durable these watches are????

I know this is hard to get through your head since you are enamored with Nazis and Italian fascists but I was the one who agreed how tough and durable these watches are.............my point was to focus on the exploits of the WWII Italian Navy as proof of Panerai's durability was hardly a benchmark of anything. You disagree.......great.
barstoolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2011, 05:35 AM   #32
MP5
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Why are you using blanket straw men arguments? Did I say anything like that? Did I say anything about loving Nazis? No, I didn't. I stated historicql horological significance. Your bringing SS death camps into this that has nothing to do with the Naval setting where this was used. It's Intellectual dishonesty at it's worst, congrats.
MP5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2011, 06:37 AM   #33
nc42acc
"TRF" Member

Watch: out!!!!!
IBTL!!!!
nc42acc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2011, 09:24 AM   #34
mike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barstoolman View Post
You got me there........one so-called "famous" mission with 6 guys............ Stellar......what a grand tradition. It's so nice to see that you are so proud of the Axis powers in WWII and their exploits. What's next..........showing pictures of SS guards in the death camps wearing Panerais to let us all know how durable these watches are????

I know this is hard to get through your head since you are enamored with Nazis and Italian fascists but I was the one who agreed how tough and durable these watches are.............my point was to focus on the exploits of the WWII Italian Navy as proof of Panerai's durability was hardly a benchmark of anything. You disagree.......great.
Stop it now. The OP asked a question about the brand not about anything else.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2011, 10:14 AM   #35
TimeOnHand
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Air-King
To be honest for most of my strenuous tasks I always wear my G-Shock... I suppose I do baby my watches a bit!

But for hiking and diving it will be okay... no worries there mate!
Old 1 November 2011, 10:55 AM   #36
nc42acc
"TRF" Member

Watch: out!!!!!
Ok I am going to jump into the fray. My below observations only apply to the Luminor and 1950 style cases. I feel the Radiomir line is more of the "dressier" Panerai and are not as bullet proof. Please note these are just my observations and opinions and are in no way the gospel on Panerai. I am merely trying to establish the bullet proof ness of the Panerai to the OP.
1. The case, the Panerai case is obviously over engineered and as beefy or more beefy than your average watch. This in itself helps to protect the internal movement from any external attacks. Look at the crown guard, there are not many crowns as protected as the Panerai. In my opinion I think it would take something short of a nuclear blast to damage the crown. The strap screws are a through case lug design. Unless the old style came unscrewed or the new style push lock system failed I can't see the strap being ripped from the case. A very durable and secure design much better then the inherent week spring pin design.
2. The movement, I know I am going to take some heat on this subject but here goes. The backbone of Panerai has been and still are outsourced movements. The Valjoux, ETA, Unitas and Zenith movements are all workhorses in the industry. With the added refinements added by Panerai these movements are as durable and bulletproof as the best. The in house movements are great but haven't stood the test of time as the out sourced movements used to date.
In my observations after owning many brands including Panerai I can say they are a very durable and bulletproof watch brand. I think you could wear a Panerai for almost any activity with no worries and be fashionable to boot. Remember all of the above are just my observations and opinions as a WIS.
nc42acc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2011, 11:26 AM   #37
ExpII
Banned

Watch: Milgauss, PAM 359
Thanks guys, I appreciate the input.
ExpII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2011, 04:10 PM   #38
Mwing
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fespo276 View Post
Didn't Rambo wear one?

you can go to war with it let alone normal sports
Mwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2011, 04:17 PM   #39
Alex1974

Hmmm, depends on the model that you would like to buy for doing sports. I would never do that with my PAM 212 (too high) or PAM 141 (too sensitive) but maybe with another PAM as titanium version :-)

Regards,
Alexander
Alex1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2012, 07:29 PM   #40
mikelprz
Banned

Watch: Rolex Batman
From my humble experience with the Pam88 and Rolex Subdate..

Worn both a Pam88 and Subdate into challenging terrain and battle.
I would have to say,, both handled the extreme weather, terrain, and hostile environment pretty well.
The Pam88 needed servicing on several occasions.
Wish i had a pic of how my Pam88 looked like after 1 yr in the sand.
It was so bad,, that the Hong Kong Panerai Boutique initially questioned if the watch was authentic. They couldn't fathom the idea that someone would put this watch through so much torture.
I sold the watch.. and funny,, i reacquired the exact same watch a couple years later haha
In total, after initially purchasing the watch in 2005.. i have had to service it 3 times and replaced the Alligator watch strap 3 times.

The Subdate served me for one of my additional years in the sand. After which, it only needed its required service and maintenance. In total, after having the watch since 2006.. i had to service it only once.
However, the Subdate didn't see as much brutality as my Pam88... so, I chalk up the performance as the Rolex had it easier.

Both are with me.. and just serviced the Pam88 again. Couldn't just let her suffer or push it off.. I see this watch like if it is suffering from old battle wounds..
Won't part with her, and will continue to shell out the bucks to keep her running.

mikelprz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2012, 08:19 PM   #41
BKKJake
"TRF" Member

359 on rubber is my daily in Afghanistan

But I'm an IT so it doesn't get beat on a whole lot. I fly in a helicopter over mountains, I don't hike them lol
BKKJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2012, 09:26 PM   #42
A320
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fespo276 View Post
Didn't Rambo wear one?
good one bro
A320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2012, 01:38 AM   #43
toulouse

Watch: 210, GMT2C
Great stories. Be safe out there soldiers! And thank you for your service
toulouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2012, 04:10 AM   #44
Billythekid
"TRF" Member

Wow what a thread
Billythekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2012, 05:54 AM   #45
ev8296
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV 126600
i owned the pam 104 and 162 sold them both. they both would come to a full stop while on the winder. i had them both serviced thank god they were still under waranty and still stoped while on the winder. never this problem with my rolex...
ev8296 is offline   Reply With Quote