The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 22 December 2011, 04:42 AM   #1
p_mcgee
"TRF" Member

Back from Bal Harbour boutique...

Had the opportunity to visit the new Panerai boutique in Bal Harbour, FL over the weekend. They had some beautiful watches in inventory, were nice to my kids, and were cool about letting me try on whichever model I wanted. The salespeople were somewhat knowledgeable, but not nearly so as many of the Paneristi on the forums.

I was hoping to get some clarity on which PAM to get for my 1st excursion into 44mm size. I went in considering the 233, 312, 104, 111 and corresponding titanium versions. Luckily they had most in stock.

So after 2 tours in the shop (had to buy my wife a purse so I could go back a 2nd time) and almost an hour... I came out of there even more confused than I went in. Seriously. I see why the people on the forums end up with multiple PAMS. How do you pick just 1?

I was partial to the titanium 177, but the wife & salesperson steered me toward the steel models. Still not sure what to do there. 312 and 233 didn't seem to fit right...I guess I need to avoid the 1950 case. Wasn't too fond of the tobacco dials.

So, left with the classic 111 vs 104 choice. I've seen at least 5 threads on this choice so I'll spare you another one. I'll probably end up with the 111 but would want to swap out the tan calf strap. It was comfortable but didn't quite sing to me. Has anybody had any luck bargaining for additional straps when buying a PAM at an AD?

So after that I wandered over to the Breguet boutique and witnessed an old guy buying a $300,000 minute repeater. Got to see the AP boutique and the new black Explorer II at Tourneau as well. I couldn't negotiate a trip to Hublot or any of the others. So many cool watches, so few funds.
p_mcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2011, 07:16 AM   #2
destrow
"TRF" Member

i doubt you will, in the long run, be able to stop at just one. consider it a wonderful sickness, lol.

get the one that's calling you the most. and yes, the ad should(or will often times) toss in a free strap. but you will be buying many more of those, too.
destrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2011, 07:18 AM   #3
mfer
"TRF" Member

Negotiating at a boutique is pretty much impossible from what I understand. Maybe some strap(s)?
member#3242
mfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2012, 04:03 AM   #4
Lamone
Banned

Watch: ya mawt!
What a beautiful boutique in a stunning Mall! The staff was extra friendly.
Lamone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2012, 04:14 AM   #5
Steel28
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
great writeup!

After selling my 000 Logo I was in your shoes and had two pieces in mind, 104 and 111. I tried both and decided to go with 111 due to cyclope date being not for me. 104 is still a great choice but 111 sang better to me. I also really liked exhibition/open caseback on 111.

good luck.
Steel28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2012, 04:18 AM   #6
toulouse

Watch: 210, GMT2C
I ended up getting 10% off my 24 at CD Peacock. AND a free strap too. It's a long story, but worth the 10%. There were special circumstances surrounding the discount, but in the beginning I bargained 5% and a free strap too. This happened a couple weeks ago, so I guess it depends on the AD and who's behind the counter.

(edit) by the way, I know that I'll be getting another PAM one day. Probably a 233 or 359.
toulouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2012, 08:06 AM   #7
Explorertwo
"TRF" Member

Watch: White 'n Black
Do you need a date? if not: go for the 111. The dail is clean and very beautifull.

But , like you, i did't like the strap: I didn' t even had to bargain, just said i didn't like the strap and they offered me a another AND a second OEM strap for free to finish the deal.
They will do the same for for you i think, although it's a different seller.
Good luck: no wrong choice here...!...
Explorertwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2012, 09:10 AM   #8
dalip
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex PAM Omega
Great write up. I'm surprised you didn't find the 233 comfortable. I understand with the 312 but the 233 wears so much better on my wrist.

As for straps. In my experience an AD will throw in another strap with a purchase fairly easily.

The 111 is a great and popular choice for a 1st.

Good luck and enjoy the hunt!

Nothing at AP??

------------------------------------------------------------
"The liar's punishment is not in the least that he is not believed, but that he cannot believe anyone else." George Bernard Shaw
dalip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2012, 10:14 AM   #9
laphroaig007
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 & PAM372
Just go for the 312, it is Panerai modern watch to have, at least if you own only one. It has automatic winding, which is helpful and easy for use every day, and also quick date.
IMHO
;-)
laphroaig007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2012, 11:00 AM   #10
p_mcgee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalip View Post
Nothing at AP??
Got to try on the Royal Oak Chrono panda. Major grail alert! The offshores don't really do it for me but they had some cool complicated pieces.
p_mcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2012, 09:06 PM   #11
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

in terms of straps, boutiques and discounts, you should definitely be able to get them to switch out the "standard" strap for an equivalent value strap that you like more (i.e., calf for calf or gator for gator).....and, you probably should be able to get an additional strap thrown in to sweeten the deal (just don't expect any discounts).
Cru Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2012, 01:25 AM   #12
kaiserphoenix
"TRF" Member

Watch: FPJ CO BL
Yeah when i got my 000 i also got a free strap, a JV gold lol the AD had no idea...i think
F.P.Journe Chronometre Optimum Black Label, Patek 5811G-001, A. Lange & Söhne Lange 1 191.039, Patek 5167A-001, Rolex Yacht-Master 40 Everrose, (Wh) Rolex Daytona 116500, (Blue) Rolex Skydweller 326934, Rolex Submariner 126610LV

IG: tokyo_watch_guy
kaiserphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2012, 04:01 AM   #13
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
I've always gotten a free strap with my purchases - I just pick from the book.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2012, 04:44 PM   #14
jacksonian

If you love the 177, then don't let anyone steer you away. 176 was my first and I still think it's beautiful.
jacksonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2012, 01:58 AM   #15
toulouse

Watch: 210, GMT2C
To the OP, I feel your dilemma, especially regarding the 177. I liked it, but my wife really disliked it. She didn't care if I bought it or not, but I did factor in the future cringes and grimaces she'd give me when going out. "You're wearing that watch tonight?" Having someone in your ear can erode confidence in your choice, especially when it's such a difficult choice to begin with. But you have to wear it of course so pick the one you love the most or you'll be second guessing later.
toulouse is offline   Reply With Quote