The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 27 April 2016, 06:47 AM   #61
ref1655
Banned

Watch: 1655/MkI
Quote:
Originally Posted by denrusso View Post
"BGE/Big Green Egg" isn't a term used to describe the color of a weber kettle. It is actually a different type of grill - see here: http://biggreenegg.com/
thanks for the clarification!
ref1655 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2016, 06:52 AM   #62
denrusso
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ref1655 View Post
thanks for the clarification!

Thanks,
dr
denrusso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2016, 07:32 AM   #63
DS/B MINI S
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD & Exp II
Quote:
Originally Posted by texex91 View Post
That's the exact one I'm looking at. My BGE requires too much cleanup after and longer cooks are tricker.

Going to add this one next month
I'm interested in what cleanup you are doing on the BGE? How are longer cooks tricker? I've cooked numerous butts overnight 8-10 hours and never lifted the lid, and the temperature hasn't varied more than a few degrees during the cook. Clean out ashes after a long cook (less than 1 minute), remove water/juice pan, remove place setter, add lump, add fire starters, light, scrape grate clean. It literally takes less than 2 minutes and I'm ready to cook again. What else is there?
Old 27 April 2016, 08:39 AM   #64
incontrol
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ref1655 View Post
a trivial observation but in terms of color/cosmetics...the BGE/Big Green Egg appears to be the most popular Weber kettle color amongst Midwesterners & Easterners. here on the west coast, black is the most popular color. I also have a BGE but they tend to run a distant second to the black models. the cranberry/red colored Weber kettles are always on display at most hardware/BBQ stores but rarely seen at homes on the SF peninsula.

next question for the hardcore grillers...do you parboil your spareribs/baby-backs prior to smoking or do you toss them directly on the grill? I've done it both ways & the jury is still out.

lastly, I like the idea of running gas directly to the grill from the house rather than relying on propane canisters. when a gas grill is fueled in this manner, is its location stationary/fixed or can the grill be moved around via some sort of flexible hosing?

I have a Lynx Natural Gas grill and the XL BGE. They both work perfectly. The real difference between the two is the great smokey flavor from the BGE and its ability to cook in a way that seems to never dry out any meat. Chicken, Thanksgiving turkey and roasts come out juicy and perfect.

A friend of mine got me interested in this grill because of the amazing food he barbecued on it. I had never in my life used charcoal, always propane or natural gas. I consider my purchase of the BGE one of the best decisions I ever made concerning grills.
Old 27 April 2016, 10:15 AM   #65
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

I use a Weber Kettle 26" grill. Have had it for 9 years now and still running strong. Charcoal and cleaned properly after every use.
TRF Member #6699 (since September 2007)
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2016, 10:43 AM   #66
Rebel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Sub 75090
I Pastor a Church about one hour from where I am from. At the Parsonage, I have a gas grill that belongs to the Church. At my home, I have a charcoal grill.

I prefer the charcoal.
Old 27 April 2016, 10:48 AM   #67
maxbaris
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer I
Charcoal all the way. I'm from Toronto, Canada and I go out there and BBQ when it's -30 degrees Celsius. The smokey taste is totally worth it. I don't think I will ever buy a gas BBQ, although I agree that it's faster hence more convenient.
maxbaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2016, 11:40 AM   #68
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS/B MINI S View Post
I'm interested in what cleanup you are doing on the BGE? How are longer cooks tricker? I've cooked numerous butts overnight 8-10 hours and never lifted the lid, and the temperature hasn't varied more than a few degrees during the cook. Clean out ashes after a long cook (less than 1 minute), remove water/juice pan, remove place setter, add lump, add fire starters, light, scrape grate clean. It literally takes less than 2 minutes and I'm ready to cook again. What else is there?
No worries. It's a pain to clean out those ashes for me (you might not care). Loading and getting it gaining takes too much time. Longer cooks require more 'fuel' for me. YMMV. I have one and like it, but don't love it. No worries and looking forward to pellet.

Glad you're happy.
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2016, 01:28 PM   #69
Brenngun
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Quote:
That's the exact one I'm looking at. My BGE requires too much cleanup after and longer cooks are tricker.

Going to add this one next month
You're going to love it Paul. I didn't bother with the "kitchen sink" package. Most of the accessories are a waste for me. Just went with the basic unit but did add the cover, searing kit & folding front shelf. All in including shipping was still about $500 less than the package. Now thinking of adding the cold smoker box. Nice for doing salmon and goat cheese ..... mmmmmm.

Brenngun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2016, 03:47 PM   #70
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenngun View Post
You're going to love it Paul. I didn't bother with the "kitchen sink" package. Most of the accessories are a waste for me. Just went with the basic unit but did add the cover, searing kit & folding front shelf. All in including shipping was still about $500 less than the package. Now thinking of adding the cold smoker box. Nice for doing salmon and goat cheese ..... mmmmmm.

You just cost me a grand or two
Old 27 April 2016, 08:12 PM   #71
DS/B MINI S
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD & Exp II
Quote:
No worries. It's a pain to clean out those ashes for me (you might not care). Loading and getting it gaining takes too much time. Longer cooks require more 'fuel' for me. YMMV. I have one and like it, but don't love it. No worries and looking forward to pellet.

Glad you're happy.

No problem. Enjoy your new pellet
Old 29 April 2016, 06:27 AM   #72
ref1655
Banned

has anyone ever used, built, or purchased a 55 gallon 'oil can' grill/smoker? I've always been somewhat intrigued by the design.

http://www.mosscustombbqs.com/
Old 15 May 2016, 06:44 AM   #73
texex91
"TRF" Member

Ended up getting the Yoder 640. It's like a car, before you know it, you've added an additional $600 of 'must have' accessories to it

Really liked the direct grill and smoker in one unit.

Being delivered next Friday to my new house (finally finished). Just in time for Memorial Day:

texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2016, 05:34 AM   #74
ref1655
Banned

Quote:
Ended up getting the Yoder 640...Really liked the direct grill and smoker in one unit.
that is one serious monster...love the 'smokestack'. bon appetite!
Old 16 May 2016, 11:34 AM   #75
goin camping
"TRF" Member

Weber kettle, One of them silver steel gas things and a horizontal barrel smoker.

What I'm making decides what I use. This summer is going to be a smoke-A-Thon around here.
goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote