The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 17 May 2016, 10:43 AM   #1
Kingair
"TRF" Member

Watch: Not enough ;-)
Beyoncé’s Ivy Park clothing line accused of using “sweatshop slaves”

Good or bad ?

http://consequenceofsound.net/2016/0...atshop-slaves/

No clue to be honest . . . . not wanting discuss Beyonce . . .

Finally all companies want to make profit . . . the shareholders even more !

So what if we close all these 'sweat shops' . . . .

What will these people do and how will they survive ?

Didn't we as consumers created this ?

Why did all companies went to the 'low labour' countries way back ?

Just my .02 . . . .
Kingair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2016, 10:58 AM   #2
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Standards in some Asian countries aren't very good (an understatement). But, US companies can control their vendors treatment of employees if they choose. It is within their capability to select shops that treat their employees well. If it were the case that all western companies only chose the better shops, the standard of shops would improve to satisfy the market.

Unfortunately, western companies don't seem to give a sh1t about working conditions. Is it too much to ask to burden them with an extra few cents per unit to hire the company that has high standards?

A US company I know here in Abu Dhabi is paying Asian expat staff $200 per month, which I consider almost indentured servitude. The company is making millions in Defense and paying western expats 6 figures. The US Government customer is aware of the wage structure and happy to have the cheap services. Is it institutionalized racism or a hypocritical morality that fails to apply home country standards to workers abroad?
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2016, 11:02 AM   #3
andromeda160
Banned

Watch: Rolex Oyster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
Standards in some Asian countries aren't very good (an understatement). But, US companies can control their vendors treatment of employees if they choose. It is within their capability to select shops that treat their employees well. If it were the case that all western companies only chose the better shops, the standard of shops would improve to satisfy the market.

Unfortunately, western companies don't seem to give a sh1t about working conditions. Is it too much to ask to burden them with an extra few cents per unit to hire the company that has high standards?

A US company I know here in Abu Dhabi is paying Asian expat staff $200 per month, which I consider almost indentured servitude. The company is making millions in Defense and paying western expats 6 figures. The US Government customer is aware of the wage structure and happy to have the cheap services. Is it institutionalized racism or a hypocritical morality that fails to apply home country standards to workers abroad?
Personally I see it as institutionalize a Racism. If we don't allow these practices in our homeland, what makes them acceptable abroad? It's just using free trade as an excuse for slavery.

And if you look into foreign labor houses, many have such poor working conditions that they need to put nets beneath the workers since many attempt to jump from multiple stories to their death. We as consumers did create this, but these people would be much better off without our pittance wages.
andromeda160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2016, 11:11 AM   #4
ref1655
Banned

Watch: 1655/MkI
remember when Kathy Lee Gifford was accused of running a sweatshop? some things never change.

it's called the 'Nike Business Model' & the concept is an ongoing MBA business model/topic...decades ago, Phil Knight, the owner of Nike turned to offshore manufacturing in order to increase company/shareholder profits. instead of manufacturing his shoes in Oregon, Knight subcontracted with Chinese companies who could provide the cheapest labor. now rather than passing this savings on to consumers, his retail prices only increased (i.e. Michael Jordan basketball sneakers & most of the Nike sports shoe line).

Honore de Balzac once wrote that "behind every great fortune lies a crime". when you think about all of the so-called 'great' American businessmen (e.g. Leland Stanford/Charles Crocker/Mark Hopkins of the Transcontinental Railroad, John D. Rockefeller, J.P. Morgan, Andrew Carnegie, Bill Gates et al), most were guilty of graft, greed, and/or under-handed business/labor tactics. that's what made them successful & to a certain extent, famous or infamous.

sad commentary on reality.
ref1655 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2016, 11:16 AM   #5
andromeda160
Banned

Watch: Rolex Oyster
Quote:
Originally Posted by ref1655 View Post
remember when Kathy Lee Gifford was accused of running a sweatshop? some things never change.

it's called the 'Nike Business Model' & the concept is an ongoing MBA business model/topic...decades ago, Phil Knight, the owner of Nike turned to offshore manufacturing in order to increase company/shareholder profits. instead of manufacturing his shoes in Oregon, Knight subcontracted with Chinese companies who could provide the cheapest labor. now rather than passing this savings on to consumers, his retail prices only increased (i.e. Michael Jordan basketball sneakers & most of the Nike sports shoe line).

Honore de Balzac once wrote that "behind every great fortune lies a crime". when you think about all of the so-called 'great' American businessmen (e.g. Leland Stanford/Charles Crocker/Mark Hopkins of the Transcontinental Railroad, John D. Rockefeller, J.P. Morgan, Andrew Carnegie, Bill Gates et al), most were guilty of graft, greed and/or under-handed business/labor tactics. that's what made them successful & to a certain extent, famous or infamous.

Such is life. When you have a government who works for shareholders and a population that only cares about low cost goods, human rights of foreign workers seem to go out the window quite fast. The morale fabric of this country is shredded and patched up with the views of wealthy businessmen who care about nothing else other than quarterly profits.

I've thought we should impose Heavy import duties on countries wth low wages for a long time now to reduce the amount of companies taking advantage of practically slave labor
andromeda160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2016, 11:31 AM   #6
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
A lot of "talk".

But at the end of the day American consumers want it as cheap as possible.

And the shareholder wants profits to increase, so shares go up in value.

There is a lot of lip service to the "greater good" and the Sanders crowd, but at the end of the day, the vast majority, want what is best for them.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2016, 11:39 AM   #7
cjohns
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II
"true dat"
NIB Sub ND SOLD,,Shouldn't have!!!Crap!
cjohns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2016, 02:19 PM   #8
BLACKHORSE 6
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex SS Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ref1655 View Post

Honore de Balzac once wrote that "behind every great fortune lies a crime". when you think about all of the so-called 'great' American businessmen (e.g. Leland Stanford/Charles Crocker/Mark Hopkins of the Transcontinental Railroad, John D. Rockefeller, J.P. Morgan, Andrew Carnegie, Bill Gates et al), most were guilty of graft, greed, and/or under-handed business/labor tactics. that's what made them successful & to a certain extent, famous or infamous.

The businessmen you listed also created something where nothing existed before. They tied our vast county together, established universities and libraries, advanced science and technologies that have made our lives and our world better, and became some of the greatest philanthropists that have ever lived. They were smart, innovative and took risks, and so they were rewarded. That's how it works.

Do I want eight year old kids working seven days a week so I can have cheaper clothes, shoes, and stuff at Walmart that I don't really need? Obviously not. There are always a$$holes out there who always will exploit those who are desperate and have no other choice.

I blame the crappy governments and people who put the eight year olds to work instead of sending them to school. They're the ones who bear the responsibility.
BLACKHORSE 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2016, 08:36 PM   #9
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKHORSE 6 View Post
The businessmen you listed also created something where nothing existed before. They tied our vast county together, established universities and libraries, advanced science and technologies that have made our lives and our world better, and became some of the greatest philanthropists that have ever lived. They were smart, innovative and took risks, and so they were rewarded. That's how it works.

Do I want eight year old kids working seven days a week so I can have cheaper clothes, shoes, and stuff at Walmart that I don't really need? Obviously not. There are always a$$holes out there who always will exploit those who are desperate and have no other choice.

I blame the crappy governments and people who put the eight year olds to work instead of sending them to school. They're the ones who bear the responsibility.
They are partly responsible, but companies are responsible too. Knowing full well that your company is working 8 year olds 16 hours a day is a sin on you, just as much as on the government who permits it. You can choose another vendor. You don't have to hire the slave trader. (Proverbial "you")

The increase in costs per unit for responsible labor isn't that much. The consumer probably will not notice the price change. After all, who complained about the transportation fuel surcharges tacked on to products when gas and diesel prices were high, or the food tax imparted by the ethanol program?
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote