The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 26 September 2017, 01:50 PM   #31
HoroMaverick
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116515LN
Sports watch look and feel ... Rolex all the way! Love the Rolex metal bracelet and they are also dressy. Serve both occasions well. Flipping is expensive especially if you regret the move. Hence keep a variety to remind yourself why Rolex is your favorite... lol.
HoroMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2017, 02:03 PM   #32
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Ping Only View Post
There are many fine brands I’d like to own, but will always have a Rolex in the collection. At the moment I only have one and think I need another...

Nice! Waiting for the incoming.
Old 26 September 2017, 08:36 PM   #33
rph08
"TRF" Member

I think the core of my little collection will always be composed of SS, Rolex watches. IMHO, they are well suited to the rigors of every day wear, and there's enough variety between the references I like to help justify owning them all. Plus, they just look dang good! However, I do like a few things from Omega, and I'd love to add a PP 5711 or 5726 down the road.

Canyonero! Canyonero!
rph08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2017, 12:03 AM   #34
Danny83
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yellow Gold
Has not happened to me yet, I hope it doesn't because it will get too expen$ive
Danny83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2017, 01:18 AM   #35
tng11
"TRF" Member

I never "moved on" from Rolex. In fact, I owned an AP and Breguet before I bought my first Rolex. After a few years of not having one in the collection, I bought two. Even with a few APs and a Patek, Rolex will always fill a certain gap/need in my collection - I don't foresee a point where I think my collection is "too good" for them.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2017, 01:25 AM   #36
DeeTee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Netflix
Quote:
Originally Posted by tng11 View Post
I never "moved on" from Rolex. In fact, I owned an AP and Breguet before I bought my first Rolex. After a few years of not having one in the collection, I bought two. Even with a few APs and a Patek, Rolex will always fill a certain gap/need in my collection - I don't foresee a point where I think my collection is "too good" for them.
80% of my collection is Rolex at the moment, but it only gets 20% of the time.
I'm thinking keep the steel pieces, and consider moving my PM pieces to different brands.
DeeTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2017, 04:10 AM   #37
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeTee View Post
I'm thinking keep the steel pieces, and consider moving my PM pieces to different brands.
I get you, my friend, I think as SS Rolexes are so easy to slip on and not worry about you have to have one or two, and a sunburst dial if poss as Rolex make them superbly, but I've sold a few of my PM ones for AP and PP and I'll explore Lange next year if I can get on board with a dressy leather piece.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2017, 11:43 AM   #38
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeTee View Post
IMO not a bad move. To me the value of a Rolex is the "tool watch" aspect. In comparison, PM Rolexes just seem like a lot of extra money for just the metal, when there are many more interesting pieces that can be had for the same money (albeit likely in SS.) However, I am biased - I have never owned a PM piece before. I do have hopes of getting a BLRO one day though.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2017, 11:51 AM   #39
Tmac478
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG Skydweller
I've only been into "quality" watches for a few years, so I'm not there yet. My current collection includes 1 AP, 4 Rolex, 2 Omega, 1 each Tudor and Panerai. I really want to thin the herd a bit. I have no PM watches yet so I'll probably flip a couple later this year and get a PM Rolex.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
Tmac478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2017, 12:38 AM   #40
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
Sold my ExpII so now have no “land” watch, with my BBN for sea and BLNR for air. Plan on filling that open slot with a SMP in the next year. As far as Rolex goes, I’d like to procure a rose YM and a simple dj in time. I dont want multiples of the same watch so things get a little tough with sports model rolex’. Nevertheless, they are my favorite and I will always have one.
airchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2017, 05:14 AM   #41
flintsghost
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 16600
I have many watches including 5 Rolexes, 2 IWC's, 2 Panerai's, a Breitling/Chronosport, and a couple of oddities. I wear one of my SD40s a majority of the time as my main tool watch and will probably never change it much as it keeps near perfect time. One 40mm Panerai is my main dress watch. The others all rotate in occasionally and I enjoy all of them. I have considered adding a JLC but the constant complaints about their customer service and service pricing have kept me away. I don't like the shape or look of AP. PP doesn't do much for me. But I have always had and worn Rolex since 1970 when I bought my first one. Breifly I owned a couple of Breitlings in the past but while I love my Avenger M1 for it's visibility under water, I went back to Rolex for even those needs, as a computer became my primary and the watch was merely a redundant safety measure. I will never move on from Rolex completely. They do everything I need for them to do, with keeping near perfect time at the top of the list. They are also tougher than most of the other watches I've owned.
flintsghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2017, 11:59 PM   #42
Headshrinker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day-Date
Rolex seems to fit my style and personal taste. While I have purchased two Pateks in the last few years, I consider my Rolex watches to be the backbone of my collection.
Headshrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2017, 03:27 AM   #43
piratepress
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Having waited almost 40 years for my first Rolex, I can't imagine getting tired of it anytime soon. However, compared to my 20 year-old $100 stainless steel diving watch I wear daily, I feel the Rolex is terribly overpriced. Despite that, I enjoy wearing it immensely and it satisfies some intangible quality I can't quite put my finger on!
piratepress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2017, 07:11 AM   #44
Busyboy
"TRF" Member

While I think a good steel rolex is bullet proof both in performance and in financial security..... I also think I've had them all, sometimes more than twice!!

So pp and ap began to intrigue

Ultimately ap was more me.... Got a lovely 15202 now.

Considered a rolex as a beater but just can't justify a £4000 - £6000 sub as a beater. So I wear a Casio for £20 a fair bit... And an ap for £20,000 when I'm indulged

Hate to say it, but as much as I love it, and respect it, rolex has lost its shine. And I can't justify wearing one if I don't love it... My love has moved on....

Ideally I'd go with a:
Ap 15202
Pp 5990
And with them a 116500 would go well...

Otherwise I feel I need to stay true to my new love
Busyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2017, 08:56 AM   #45
Dan2010
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai 914
I left Rolex for Panerai. Nothing out there like a Panerai and I love to have new straps made that change things up and keeps things interesting. I'm also a big guy, live on and very active in the water and the Panerai spirit fits me. I've had over 100 watches with about 60 of them being Rolex and I always get bored with them.
Dan2010 is offline   Reply With Quote