The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 25 September 2017, 11:46 AM   #1
tng11
"TRF" Member

Does anyone own non-Royal Oaks?

Having been around here for a bit, I've noticed that no one ever posts incomings of anything but a Royal Oak or Offshore. No one ever discusses models other than the Royal Oak.

Is AP really all just about the Royal Oak line? Why is there no love for any of the models in other lines? I think some of them are pretty stunning - I really like the Millenary line. But maybe for the same reasons it's not as popular - e.g. bad resale values in comparison to the Royal Oak, I'm hesitant to pick one up.

I know that AP really jumped in popularity through the Royal Oak line - and to some degree Patek has become more popular with the Nautilus/Aquanaut lines, yet despite them occupying a disproportionate proportion of incoming threads, their non-Nautilus and Aquanaut lines still seem very strong relative to AP.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2017, 11:28 PM   #2
jem7v
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tng11 View Post
Having been around here for a bit, I've noticed that no one ever posts incomings of anything but a Royal Oak or Offshore. No one ever discusses models other than the Royal Oak.

Is AP really all just about the Royal Oak line? Why is there no love for any of the models in other lines? I think some of them are pretty stunning - I really like the Millenary line. But maybe for the same reasons it's not as popular - e.g. bad resale values in comparison to the Royal Oak, I'm hesitant to pick one up.

I know that AP really jumped in popularity through the Royal Oak line - and to some degree Patek has become more popular with the Nautilus/Aquanaut lines, yet despite them occupying a disproportionate proportion of incoming threads, their non-Nautilus and Aquanaut lines still seem very strong relative to AP.
Probably due to horrible resale value. Though the only non royal oak I ever liked was the carbon one millenary. I'd definitely pick that up if I had 100k burning a hole in my wallet, albiet, only after getting an RM, and few AP concepts
jem7v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2017, 03:28 AM   #3
shafran
"TRF" Member

millenary

I have always been a fan of the millenary and jules audemars lines. I have had 2 versions of the ja and 4 versions of the millenary and now have the 4101 in ss. Great watches. Resale is not great. You need to buy well.
shafran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2017, 10:11 PM   #4
tng11
"TRF" Member

(crickets)

I think I have my answer here.
Old 27 September 2017, 12:12 AM   #5
conkers
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
My JA Tourbillon is long since sold, at a healthy loss of course! And I thought I had bought it well.......
Old 27 September 2017, 12:18 AM   #6
Urooj
Banned

Rg 4101

Had the RG 4101 it's a beautiful watch but I couldn't wear that often as I hardly
wear formal attire and doesn't suit my lifestyle. Sold it took a massive hit that will probably keep me away from impulse buying for considerable time. offshores the way forward for me but the 4101 is a beautiful piece and if any other brand like Patek etc offering anything similar the price would be easily 100k plus. The retail is around for RG 4101 is 40k you can get them under 20k if you can find a deal. That's a steal if you are looking for a formal watch with that pedigree of workmanship and finish
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7885.jpg (249.4 KB, 294 views)
Urooj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2017, 12:18 AM   #7
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

i would get a Millenary in a second if i thought i had enough situations where i would actually be able to wear it. I wouldn't even care about resale as i really like that line.

To me the JA line is nice but i would get a PP or ALS for a dressy watch. They are nice pieces but for me i feel like there are better options in that category.

Love the concept line as well, but based on price those are not supposed to be big sellers. My grail is a Supersonnerie.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2017, 12:19 AM   #8
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by tng11 View Post

To be honest, my answer is Yes. AP outside of Royal Oak garnered little attention or demand. Some Jules Audemars Great Complications looks interesting but these are very niche. The Millenary never really took off. I think it has to do with that egg shape. And as Roger used to put it to me quite often, they are all "resale disaster", which explains their lack of popularity and perhaps vice versa

However, even within the Royal Oak, there is an interesting diversity. The Offshore, the Royal Oaks, ultrathin, chronos and of course concept. Enough to keep most people of varied taste happy.
Old 27 September 2017, 12:21 AM   #9
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I like the JA line but they are dress watches and I'm more into sports as are most on this Rolex based forum. Like Tyler for dress pieces I would look at Lange and PP and maybe Breguet first. AP is the alpha sports watch for me.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2017, 12:37 AM   #10
singe89
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
i would get a Millenary in a second if i thought i had enough situations where i would actually be able to wear it. I wouldn't even care about resale as i really like that line.

To me the JA line is nice but i would get a PP or ALS for a dressy watch. They are nice pieces but for me i feel like there are better options in that category.

Love the concept line as well, but based on price those are not supposed to be big sellers.
I agree with this. Like the Millenary but never really dress up so would never get wrist time. AP and RM for luxury sport and Patek and ALS for luxury dress.

I'll also add I think that AP isnt a "one watch brand" and there actually is variation between the RO and ROO lines when it comes to materials and complications so you can have many RO/ROOs and still have diversity.

Take rolex diversity for instance...the datejust and Skydweller are similar but with an added complication. I compare that line to the RO as sporty but dressy. The sub, SD, GMT, Yachtmaster, Milgauss, explorer and even the Daytona to some degree are all very similar in case shape and bracelet. These true sport models are more similar to the ROO. Yet with rolex you're limited on materials, SS, YG, RG, WG or PT and complications where with RO/ROOs you have all those materials plus, ceramic, forged carbon, titanium, tantilum, Cermet, etc. and have everything from base 2 hand movements to skeletons to tourbillons to grande comps. I actually find more diversity in my current AP collection than my previous Rolex collection.
singe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2017, 12:44 AM   #11
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by singe89 View Post
Take rolex diversity for instance...the datejust and Skydweller are similar but with an added complication. I compare that line to the RO as sporty but dressy. The sub, SD, GMT, Yachtmaster, Milgauss, explorer and even the Daytona to some degree are all very similar in case shape and bracelet. These true sport models are more similar to the ROO. Yet with rolex you're limited on materials, SS, YG, RG, WG or PT and complications where with RO/ROOs you have all those materials plus, ceramic, forged carbon, titanium, tantilum, Cermet, etc. and have everything from base 2 hand movements to skeletons to tourbillons to grande comps. I actually find more diversity in my current AP collection than my previous Rolex collection.
yes X1000

I never understand why people say AP is a one trick pony. Within their RO or ROO line there are far more options and variety than within the Rolex sports lineup. The difference is Rolex calls them different product lines but a sub and a sea dweller is pretty much the same watch for example. AP doesn't separate similar watches into sub categories so people think they must all be the same.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2017, 01:04 AM   #12
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'll also add I think that AP isnt a "one watch brand" and there actually is variation between the RO and ROO lines when it comes to materials and complications so you can have many RO/ROOs and still have diversity.

Very well said Jim. I hadn't really thought about it from this perspective, and I totally agree.
Old 27 September 2017, 04:27 AM   #13
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
I agree too, if this was an AP forum with a Rolex sub-forum you would get a lot of but they all look the same comments as well, as you do on other general forums and ofc from all your friends and family.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2017, 04:41 AM   #14
P2725TMB
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP, Rolex, Omega
I like my newly acquired Millenary... Very different from my other pieces.

P2725TMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2017, 04:48 AM   #15
Tay821
"TRF" Member

I think the Jules Audemars Minute Repeater from this years SIHH is in my top three watches out there. That thing screams class...literally
Tay821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2017, 05:35 AM   #16
SC11
Banned

Watch: AP ☠️
Quote:
Originally Posted by P2725TMB View Post

That dial
SC11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2017, 12:27 AM   #17
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by P2725TMB View Post

Very cool shot ! I would have probably gotten one myself if it's in a round shape.