The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 18 August 2016, 03:55 PM   #31
improviz
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step
Quote:
Originally Posted by ash20 View Post
Been there, done that. Took an absolute bath letting my 49150 go. On paper it's a great piece, but the build quality is inferior IMO to AP.
I have two APs and couldn't disagree more, but to each his own.
116520 white; 16613 black; 116710; 16570 polar; 16600. AP 15400; 15703. Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. Glashutte Sport Evo GMT. Omega Planet Ocean 2907.50.91; Planet Ocean Liquidmetal LE 222.30.42.20.01.001; Seamaster 2255.80.00. Breitling Crosswind, white. Panerai PAM 005. VC Overseas Chrono, black.
improviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2016, 12:57 AM   #32
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

Didn't realize you were trying to sell yours. IMHO you're asking strong money for a used one.
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2016, 02:18 AM   #33
masyv6
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by improviz View Post
VCOs don't have the resale values of APs, which in turn don't have the resale of Rolexes or Pateks. Fine by me as I just picked up a BNIB VCO Chrono at a very good price and I love it, but if you don't buy them (or pretty much any other watch outside of Rolex and Patek) right, you take a hit on resale.

Here's mine:
I think you got it right on with your post. Plus that's an amazing photo of your Overseas
masyv6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2016, 03:07 AM   #34
Samui
Banned

I appreciate VC. But would only consider their dress watches
Samui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2016, 04:57 AM   #35
Watcheroo
2024 Pledge Member

I like the Overseas model, but haven't owned one. Not sure I ever will either, but who knows.

The Historiques American 1921 is a beautiful piece that I'd love to own one day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Watcheroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2016, 05:19 AM   #36
improviz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by masyv6 View Post
I think you got it right on with your post. Plus that's an amazing photo of your Overseas
Thanks! Only reason I didn't get one sooner was it took me forever to decide between black dial/white dial as both are stunning.
116520 white; 16613 black; 116710; 16570 polar; 16600. AP 15400; 15703. Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. Glashutte Sport Evo GMT. Omega Planet Ocean 2907.50.91; Planet Ocean Liquidmetal LE 222.30.42.20.01.001; Seamaster 2255.80.00. Breitling Crosswind, white. Panerai PAM 005. VC Overseas Chrono, black.
Old 20 August 2016, 06:44 AM   #37
Eagle dunes 75
2024 Pledge Member

Many excellent points made

I like the VC brand for its history style and quality. I try not to compare it to other brands. I buy what I like and usually (to my detriment) do not think too much about re-sale value. Here are a couple I have recently purchased. Good discussion btw

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Eagle dunes 75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2016, 08:04 AM   #38
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP
I won both an AP Royal Oak Chronograph 25860 and VC Overseas Chronograph 49140 and love them both for what they are. That being said, on the pre-owned market, the AP was about $3000 more and they are both from the same generation. Yes the VC has much better WR, an antimagnetic casing, a better date window, and a more comfortable/flexible bracelet. In my opinion, the fit and finish of both brands are excellent. Both watches are keepers.

But the reality of the situation to me is that the market/demand for VCs is more limited and you can't do anything about that. And when you compare MSRP to pre-owned prices you'll take a bigger hit on a VC than an AP. So like so many preach here the best thing to do is to "buy smartly" and you'll be fine. Like what you like, but if resale is important, stick to PP, AP, and Rolex.
srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2016, 10:35 AM   #39
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
VCOs don't have the resale values of APs, which in turn don't have the resale of Rolexes or Pateks. Fine by me as I just picked up a BNIB VCO Chrono at a very good price and I love it, but if you don't buy them (or pretty much any other watch outside of Rolex and Patek) right, you take a hit on resale.

Here's mine:
Congrats my friend, always loved that guilloche dial.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2016, 10:41 AM   #40
improviz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Congrats my friend, always loved that guilloche dial.
Thanks!
Old 19 September 2017, 07:42 PM   #41
xIZeitgeistIx
"TRF" Member

Watch: DaytonaC & Sub
So speaking about PP, AP in relation to VC here are my 2cents:
- PP sport models are currently nearly not available in steel and have a quite conservative look and feel. However, they are great watches
- AP RO and ROO are also stunning pieces, but despite I tried some of them, there was never a big attraction between the watches and me. Also I think they are to focused on the Oak-Line.
- So I ended up with a VC Overseas line and I am stunned by the quality and finish. However, I think if they want to compete with PP and AP and stay on this level, they should make the watches more desirable.
xIZeitgeistIx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2017, 08:01 PM   #42
ejvette
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: me break clays..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow-Dweller View Post
Interesting. I have often thought that the Overseas' bezel has a slightly Nazi feel about it, but this had never crossed my mind with the VC logo....until now!

By the way, I inherited my grandfather's 1946 VC, which I had restored but rarely wear. Sorry for the bad picture.
Great looking vintage piece Clive I would be wearing that on special occasions

"The only difference between crazy and eccentric is the size of ones bank account" Anonymous

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
ejvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2017, 08:25 PM   #43
Arclight
Banned

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by janice&fred View Post
VC has always been a "regional" watch with some areas and cultures of the world hot for them and others luke warm or cold. believe it or not in the NYC diamond and jewelry district many Jewish dealers avoid the brand as well as their Jewish customers due to the trademark emblem. this kind of has had a ripple effect in the market and other cultures over the past decades and still holds weight now.
Seriously hard to believe, that cross has been around for centuries.

https://blog.crownandcaliber.com/sto...stantin-cross/
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2017, 02:05 AM   #44
shafran
"TRF" Member

Vc

I happen to be a jewish collector , in NY and never heard that before about people staying away from VC. It is also slightly offensive that it sounds like jewish collectors are the reason that vc has poor resale. I have owned quite a few VCs, including the overseas 49150. The reality is that they are available in the 9500-11k range on the blogs and 13500 is high. They dont have the resale of the AP offshore, but a volcano or safari 26170 series don't really sell well over 13500, so they do take a large hit too. Get the watch you want, enjoy it and understand that you may lose when selling. I actually have lost on most watches I end up flipping except Patek and Rolex. These brands include Moser, VC, Parmigiani, Cartier, AP, Breguet, Journe, Panerai and JLC.
shafran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2017, 03:39 AM   #45
BillH2121
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejvette View Post
Great looking vintage piece Clive I would be wearing that on special occasions
Unfortunately, I wouldn't have the willpower to only wear it on special occasions - I would be wearing it frequently! Love that watch!
BillH2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2017, 06:16 AM   #46
Arclight
Banned

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by shafran View Post
I happen to be a jewish collector , in NY and never heard that before about people staying away from VC. It is also slightly offensive that it sounds like jewish collectors are the reason that vc has poor resale. I have owned quite a few VCs, including the overseas 49150. The reality is that they are available in the 9500-11k range on the blogs and 13500 is high. They dont have the resale of the AP offshore, but a volcano or safari 26170 series don't really sell well over 13500, so they do take a large hit too. Get the watch you want, enjoy it and understand that you may lose when selling. I actually have lost on most watches I end up flipping except Patek and Rolex. These brands include Moser, VC, Parmigiani, Cartier, AP, Breguet, Journe, Panerai and JLC.
I thought as much!
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2017, 03:30 PM   #47
rolehex
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janice&fred View Post
VC has always been a "regional" watch with some areas and cultures of the world hot for them and others luke warm or cold. believe it or not in the NYC diamond and jewelry district many Jewish dealers avoid the brand as well as their Jewish customers due to the trademark emblem. this kind of has had a ripple effect in the market and other cultures over the past decades and still holds weight now.
I'll go with NOT.
rolehex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2017, 11:58 AM   #48
charger_vital
"TRF" Member

Watch: LF Sport & Pepsi
I'm in the market to buy an Overseas. I understand that the resale value is garbage. But I don't care. Watches are emotional.

That said, I love this piece! The Limited edition (49150000A-9017) you've posted with the red hands has the best dial aesthetics of all the Overseas - a close second being the limited edition with black dial, yellow hands and TI bezel.

So... Here is my dilemma (two actually):

(1) The Chrono or the Dual time? It's a tough call. If I'm getting a Chrono, I want a Speedmaster (reeking of rugged class with a powerful sex appeal) or the Zenith El Primero Tri-Color (Best Chrono movement ever... highly innovative company... for the modern man...). Ok...Ok... I have both so I'm biased... So I might lean slightly toward the Dual Time for the unique element.

**Note: I respect the Daytona, they are just not cool; too bland; too blah... no innovation... (for me... for me). Maybe when I'm age appropriate, I dunno.

(2) But the 49150000A-9017 is the sexiest looking chrono on the market; sexier even than the Dual Time dial (though maybe not as interesting for complications)... BUT!!! no bracelet!!! And let's be honest, the VC Overseas bracelet (with the Maltese motif throughout) is the best bracelet ever made... and without question the most masculine-looking panty-dropper we've ever witnessed. I mean, if you can't get action with that thing on, its only because she saw you wearing a Daytona the day before (kidding... you would still get a cougar).

So what to do?

Oh and to respond to the thread, $13K is too high. Just is. It would sell for $10K. My dilemmas notwithstanding, $10K would move me on that one, to be sure.
charger_vital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2017, 03:00 PM   #49
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
^^^ dude thanks for the good laugh, if you want girls to drop their panties because of your watch, get any fake for 300 USD which looks like gold, Hublot for Eastern Europe, Rolex for the rest of the world, or the real thing, if you want a real watch get the VC, though in SS few chances they'll drop them, unless she is a wis...
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2017, 03:50 PM   #50
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
^^^ dude thanks for the good laugh, if you want girls to drop their panties because of your watch, get any fake for 300 USD which looks like gold, Hublot for Eastern Europe, Rolex for the rest of the world, or the real thing, if you want a real watch get the VC, though in SS few chances they'll drop them, unless she is a wis...
I heartily vouch for this ^^^

back to VC, If they advertised like PP or Rolex, then they'd probably do a little better. Look at Hublot, came out of nowhere in a blitz of NBA endorsements and advertising...sadly the watches kinda let them down, but if you want Johnny down the golf club to know how much you're wearing on your wrist, then it needs to be a brand publicly and inextricably linked to luxury.

The third generation Overseas Chrono is pretty pedestrian, eliminating all the things like the big date, the asymmetric dials, that made the second generation interesting and individualistic. Now it just looks like a 7750 powered run o' the mill chrono with a nice bracelet.

The white dial might be considered as more desirable for being a limited edition, but I don't think its as handsome as either the blue or black dialed versions, the more so since it seems to run $3000-$6000 more.
asiparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2017, 10:59 PM   #51
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capote View Post
What? How would you explain Patek's success given the Calatrava cross then?
Germany's Iron Cross military medal is in the shape of a Maltese Cross. And yes I believe they were still wearing them in WWII.
The Calatrava Cross doesn't have any thing to do with the German military.
MILGAUSS88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2017, 11:32 PM   #52
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

I had never thought of or heard this Cross controversy, but it sounds plausible. I would point that the design is slightly different.
I don't think Vacheron featured the Maltese Cross on most of there watches until the 70's or possibly 80's.
Old 26 September 2017, 12:59 AM   #53
improviz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MILGAUSS88 View Post
I had never thought of or heard this Cross controversy, but it sounds plausible. I would point that the design is slightly different.
I don't think Vacheron featured the Maltese Cross on most of there watches until the 70's or possibly 80's.
Well, they began using it as their company logo in 1877:

Quote:
In 1877, the company changed its name to “Vacheron & Constantin, Fabricants, Geneve” and adopted the Maltese cross as the company’s official logo.
Old 26 September 2017, 03:05 AM   #54
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
The Maltese cross exists way before the Germans, way before Hitler, used it as the Iron cross for soldiers' acts of bravery. So it has nothing to do with anything Hitlerian or anything of the sort, but some stupid people who see films of WWII where officers wore it think it has something to do with Hitler, when in reality when the Kingdom of Jerusalem was lost the last knights, not the Templars but Hospitaliers retreated and set up base in Malta, from where Malese cross as it was the cross these knights wore. So for me any controversy about this is stupid, and can only come from people with poor historical knowledge to make a controversy about this...
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2017, 01:43 PM   #55
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

Well I wanted to save my 1,000th post to show a new purchase, but since I got sucked into this thread I will post an old purchase.

Oy, yeah whoop, whoop, 1,000.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Old 29 September 2017, 01:47 PM   #56
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well, they began using it as their company logo in 1877:

My point is that they did not feature it on the watch for the first 100 years, so seems odd that it would have an influence.
Old 29 September 2017, 01:48 PM   #57
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
The Maltese cross exists way before the Germans, way before Hitler, used it as the Iron cross for soldiers' acts of bravery. So it has nothing to do with anything Hitlerian or anything of the sort, but some stupid people who see films of WWII where officers wore it think it has something to do with Hitler, when in reality when the Kingdom of Jerusalem was lost the last knights, not the Templars but Hospitaliers retreated and set up base in Malta, from where Malese cross as it was the cross these knights wore. So for me any controversy about this is stupid, and can only come from people with poor historical knowledge to make a controversy about this...
I concur.
Old 29 September 2017, 02:04 PM   #58
improviz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My point is that they did not feature it on the watch for the first 100 years, so seems odd that it would have an influence.
I sure don't see anything to that effect in this, the post to which I was responding:
Quote:
I was responding to your saying that the cross controversy is plausible, and it seemed as though you were saying their adding the cross to the watches was adding to it...
Old 29 September 2017, 09:56 PM   #59
lindstd
"TRF" Member

I am a big fan of the new VC overseas chronograph, however I find it odd they did not make this model in black or white dial. 2 of the most popular dial colors in the world. Yet, they decide to make it in brown, blue and silver. Huge miss on their part in my opinion.
lindstd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2017, 05:09 AM   #60
capote
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Quote:
Germany's Iron Cross military medal is in the shape of a Maltese Cross. And yes I believe they were still wearing them in WWII.
The Calatrava Cross doesn't have any thing to do with the German military.
I see, I thought the original silly remark had to do with Christianity, but I guess it could also be WW2 related. Either way I still believe it is complete nonsense, borderline conspiricy theoretical. Jews are to blame for VC's poor resale value? Please. BTW the iron cross is not the same as the Maltese cross.
capote is offline   Reply With Quote