The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

View Poll Results: Which one?
Rolex Day-Date 40 Platinum baquette diamond dial 151 71.23%
Patek Philippe Gondolo 5200G (8 days) blue dial 61 28.77%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Old 22 July 2017, 03:28 PM   #31
Bigsykedaddy
"TRF" Member

Watch: LVc | SubC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scholar View Post
Is there a particular reason you're looking at that Patek?

Something like the 5146p might be a better pick, in the same price range:

Damn, that watch is gorgeous!!!
Bigsykedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2017, 09:06 PM   #32
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

The DD. There are other Pateks I'd prefer, such as 5170, 5205
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2017, 09:09 PM   #33
zama
"TRF" Member

Watch: 4 Broken glass
Love my platinum day date, Patek are awesome but that would not be my choice of Patek.
zama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2017, 09:12 PM   #34
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
The DD would be a clear choice for me. More wearable given my lifestyle.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2017, 09:19 PM   #35
nick c
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkerrmd View Post
the Rolex platinum bracelet and glacier blue dial is best of the best!
100%
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2017, 10:26 PM   #36
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Two totally different watches...I personally am a fan of the DD40. Rectangular cases, not so much, so...DD for me.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2017, 10:40 PM   #37
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Much prefer the DD of these two.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2017, 06:49 AM   #38
mahefa
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
Since you live in Switzerland, I hope you can try on both watches before making the decision.

I have not seen the DD40 Platinum with baguette hour markers in person, but if you like baguette diamonds, then I would say go for it.

As for the Patek 5200G, it is not a popular watch for being a one and only Patek, although it is a fabulous watch. The 8-day power reserve is quite special, even for a Patek watch. I own the Patek 5100G with the 10-day power reserve and it is an elegant dress watch, worn on special occasions. If you are looking to add a Patek dress watch that you will wear occasionally, then a Gondolo is a nice watch.

I wouldn't worry too much about others stating that the cost and time wait to service a Patek is going to be too great. If you live in Switzerland and send the watch to be serviced in Geneva, the wait shouldn't be too long. Most of the wait concerns are for American owners. And if you only wear the watch at most once a week, you may not even need to service it for 5-10+ years.

There is nothing inherently bad about having an all Rolex watch collection and having a platinum DD40 or a platinum Daytona would be the pinnacle of a Rolex collection as far as modern pieces are concerned.

However many people with several Rolex watches look at Patek for a reason. Patek stands out in a different way, especially when it comes to their complicated dress watches. If you are looking for understated elegance, Patek fits the bill quite nicely. Very rarely will someone recognize that I am wearing a Patek, which is often a good thing if you want to wear a nice watch without receiving the unwarranted attention.

Thank you for several points of view and pieces of information. I kind of like the manual movement idea and the way rectangular watch stands out. On the other hand i am a fan of all sorts of durability and reliability, so Patek cant compete with Rolex on that. When Platinum DD would be in collection i think i would not wear my Deepsea and Sky-Dweller at all - wristtime would be shared between Explorer II and DD.

I think Patek 5100G is a very very special and i certainly admire the ownership of that kind of work of art.

Quote:
Is there a particular reason you're looking at that Patek?

Something like the 5146p might be a better pick, in the same price range:

It is more feeling type of a thing, i just like the rectangular shape and the way Gondolo sits perfectly on the wrist.

Something really interests me in Patek world. But as said, fragile type of things are not my game. But how fragile Patek actually is. When i do sports etc i wear my Explorer II anyway. And when holding ipad like now, i could wear something else - but at the moment i wear only Explorer II all the time.
♛Deepsea Blue -17 ♛ Deepsea Blue -19 ♛Deepsea Black ♛Explorer I ♛Explorer II ♛ Explorer 1 ♛GMT-Master II BLNR ♛ Sky-Dweller Blue ♛ Sky-Dweller Black ♛ AirKing ♛ Day-Date 40 Platinum ♛ Daytona C White ♛ Submariner LVc ♛ Two-Tone Submariner ♛ Day-Date 36 ♛ Datejust 41 grey ♛
mahefa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2017, 06:51 AM   #39
Scholar
"TRF" Member

If it's the rectangular shape you're after in and of itself and you're not seeking a grand complication, perhaps a Reverso with similarly long power reserve would do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2017, 06:59 AM   #40
mahefa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If it's the rectangular shape you're after in and of itself and you're not seeking a grand complication, perhaps a Reverso with similarly long power reserve would do?

Reverso Tribute Moon is nice. Thanks for the observation, appreciate it.
♛Deepsea Blue -17 ♛ Deepsea Blue -19 ♛Deepsea Black ♛Explorer I ♛Explorer II ♛ Explorer 1 ♛GMT-Master II BLNR ♛ Sky-Dweller Blue ♛ Sky-Dweller Black ♛ AirKing ♛ Day-Date 40 Platinum ♛ Daytona C White ♛ Submariner LVc ♛ Two-Tone Submariner ♛ Day-Date 36 ♛ Datejust 41 grey ♛
Old 23 July 2017, 07:17 AM   #41
sampelligrino
"TRF" Member

If it has to be the Gondolo, I'd go Platinum Day-Date. If it could be a different Patek on a strap (similarly priced), I'd go Patek to mix things up as I do admire their watches.

sampelligrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2017, 07:39 AM   #42
Benjamin Choi
"TRF" Member

Veering off track sorry but a dd should always be yg. Nothing else.

Tank patek is odd. I'd much rather have the 5980r.

Benjamin Choi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2017, 10:24 AM   #43
chieftd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blue Sub, YM16623
The platinum DD all day long. Cheers, Tim
chieftd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2017, 06:43 AM   #44
mahefa
"TRF" Member

I made my decision, it is Platinum Day-Date. Now i just have to choose the dial as i am having second thoughts with baquette diamond dial.

Platinum Day-Date is a full watch by all means. What should i do with my collection except Explorer II. I rarely wear GMT-Master II BLNR, Deepsea Blue and today i acquired this Sky-Dweller Blue which i am also a bit uncertain of that will it get any wristtime after Platinum Day-Date arrives.

Explorer II is already really important to me, i wear it all the time and it has gained my trust with flawless performance. I am not going to spare Platinum Day-Date either, i will use it often and every day if possible.

But as this situation is new to me. I don't know what to do with BLNR, Sky-Dweller Blue and Deepsea Blue. I really like those watches and i like to look at them how well they are built etc. But does it make sense to keep them if i will use them rarely or never. Or is it about sense at all :)

As this is the first forum i have experienced, where like-minded people are easy to find, i think this challenge can be solved as well. Thank you gentlemen, looking forward to hear your thoughts.
Old 20 September 2017, 07:06 AM   #45
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I know my opinion is not so popular on here, but this is my take:

I have a platinum Daytona and wear it every day. It fits most situations, and to me, it is the ultimate and perfect watch *for me.* So if I had a BLNR or a Sub, as nice as they are, I would always prefer to wear the Daytona. I can see the idea of perhaps getting a nice dress watch, or perhaps a very casual watch (maybe the Sub would work here after all), but I don't see too many other watches getting wrist time. So I would sell them. In your case, I would keep one of the four you have in your sig.

Some (many here) appreciate the ability to change things up every day, or every week, or even a couple of times a day. Me, I'd rather sink more money into one watch that works for me than have 3 or 4 nice watches, none of which I like as much as the one I got.

Everyone's different. Your new watch will be great! You have to figure out what to go with it that will make you happy.
Old 20 September 2017, 07:32 AM   #46
Bryant Park
Banned

I have variants of both...

Rolex always seems to get pulled from the safe, while the PP sits. The DD is extremely utilitarian while the PP scratchs a specific itch.

Either way great options. Good luck and enjoy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_554.jpg (175.2 KB, 122 views)
Bryant Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2017, 07:36 AM   #47
mahefa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post

I have a platinum Daytona and wear it every day. It fits most situations, and to me, it is the ultimate and perfect watch *for me.* So if I had a BLNR or a Sub, as nice as they are, I would always prefer to wear the Daytona. I can see the idea of perhaps getting a nice dress watch, or perhaps a very casual watch (maybe the Sub would work here after all), but I don't see too many other watches getting wrist time. So I would sell them. In your case, I would keep one of the four you have in your sig.

Some (many here) appreciate the ability to change things up every day, or every week, or even a couple of times a day. Me, I'd rather sink more money into one watch that works for me than have 3 or 4 nice watches, none of which I like as much as the one I got.

Everyone's different. Your new watch will be great! You have to figure out what to go with it that will make you happy.
Thank you for the clear thoughts. I think i have same things in mind, as i really do think i would not wear those 3 mentioned that much. Althought i admire them and really like how they look, work and feel.

I have positive experience of the Platona as well, there are so many reasons to choose Platona. But i just like the history of Day-Date and as it's dial is a bit more simple. Full platinum gives watch new dimension to enjoy it - it reminds you with it's heft that it is on your wrist and it creates more ways to become attached to your watch of choice. That is what i am looking for in a watch that it becomes trustworthy and reliable part of my life. And it is same thing as it is with women, it is a good add-on if also looks and way it feels are good/excellent
Old 20 September 2017, 07:38 AM   #48
Hairdude1
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,PP, Rolex
DD for sure!

16750, 26401, 5711, 116718, 116710LN, 116300, 16710"Coke", 372, 15300, 15703 (All Flipped)
Official Member "Perpetual 30" Las Vegas GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member 'WIS-CON' Las Vegas Int'l GTG 2018
Hairdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2017, 11:52 AM   #49
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer 1
I really prefer the robust Day-Date. The Patek Gondolo just looks a bit too large on the wrist for a rectangular shape watch IMO. I am biased, as I am passionate about Rolex, and I just don't believe it gets better than a Day-Date. After years of waiting and looking for a precious metal watch, I believe the Day-Date will be the one for me, too. Looking forward to your decision.
Old 20 September 2017, 03:59 PM   #50
JohnAcosta
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTII/Panda Speedy
If it were my decision, between those two only, I would choose the Patek. I'm just not a fan of diamonds and I think the resale, even a PM model, of the Rolex would depreciate more than the Patek.

That's just me though. You really can't go wrong with either choice!
JohnAcosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2017, 05:59 PM   #51
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
If I was dropping that much money on a watch, I wouldn't pick either of those two. I'd go for a RG Daytona on Oysterflex and pocket the change towards a holiday or something However, if I had to go for one of those two then it would be the DD all day every day.

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2017, 06:01 PM   #52
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post

Pretty solid advice; I couldn't do it because I like a choice but it could work for a lot of folk.

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2017, 06:28 PM   #53
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Many different Pateks I'd put before this one, so, the DD for me, even with diamonds.

"8 DAYS" or "10 DAYS" written on the dial of a Patek just doesn't seem right....
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2017, 10:13 PM   #54
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Between those I'd get the Gondolo easy.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2017, 11:58 PM   #55
tng11
"TRF" Member

Even though Rolex DDs aren't my cup of tea, I have to admit that particular DD combo with the baguette diamond markers is pretty stunning, and would probably be the only DD I would ever consider wearing. The PP does absolutely zip for me. So to me it is the DD without hesitation.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2017, 12:08 AM   #56
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahefa View Post
I made my decision, it is Platinum Day-Date. Now i just have to choose the dial as i am having second thoughts with baquette diamond dial.

Platinum Day-Date is a full watch by all means. What should i do with my collection except Explorer II. I rarely wear GMT-Master II BLNR, Deepsea Blue and today i acquired this Sky-Dweller Blue which i am also a bit uncertain of that will it get any wristtime after Platinum Day-Date arrives.

Explorer II is already really important to me, i wear it all the time and it has gained my trust with flawless performance. I am not going to spare Platinum Day-Date either, i will use it often and every day if possible.

But as this situation is new to me. I don't know what to do with BLNR, Sky-Dweller Blue and Deepsea Blue. I really like those watches and i like to look at them how well they are built etc. But does it make sense to keep them if i will use them rarely or never. Or is it about sense at all :)

As this is the first forum i have experienced, where like-minded people are easy to find, i think this challenge can be solved as well. Thank you gentlemen, looking forward to hear your thoughts.
I would sell two of the three Rolexes, BLNR and D Blue would be my choices, and get a 5711 or 12, 5164 or AP RO.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2017, 03:10 AM   #57
Hollister
Banned

Watch: 114300
Looks like a landslide for Rolex, but I'll chip in with a vote for the PP, out of the two choices presented.
Hollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2017, 03:29 AM   #58
Sam Philip
Banned

Platinum DD40 out of the two
Sam Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2017, 10:43 AM   #59
Alford78
"TRF" Member

DD or Platona but will say that if your collection was a little different then the PP might get the nod. I'd have to have some other PP pieces before adding a rectangular non QP/AC.
Alford78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2017, 10:53 AM   #60
Alford78
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahefa View Post

I would trade/sell them and spring for a PP 5167 or 5164. That would be one heck of a trio. All very different and easily daily wearers.
Alford78 is offline   Reply With Quote