The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 20 September 2017, 02:14 AM   #1
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Watch for my wife

To try to make up for a number of missed gift occasions, I had the idea that I might get my wife an AP RO. She's quite small, so I'm looking at the 33mm or 37mm ROs.

However, visiting the AD and taking a look at the models they had left me a bit underwhelmed. Perhaps because it was swaddled in a quick layer of plastic, the 33mm 67650 just looked and felt a bit cheap - also, buying a quartz AP doesn't quite sit right with me.

The 37mm 15450 was more appealing, but also didn't really sing to me (mind, I didn't have a chance to check out the new blue dial, which looks great in photos).

I'm now thinking I should also take a look at the PP 7118.

I would be interested in other members' thoughts on AP ROs for women, the 7118, or suggestions of other brands/models I should be looking at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HK Islandboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2017, 02:28 AM   #2
singe89
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & Patek
Maybe try to find the older Lady RO with auto movement. Glad I got this one when I did because the 33mm size is perfect and has to be an auto.

singe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2017, 02:30 AM   #3
P2725TMB
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP, Rolex, Omega
That's lovely. The diamond in the ring is a bit small though isn't it!
P2725TMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2017, 02:34 AM   #4
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

this is the one I'm getting for my wife most likely. The 37mm was just too big on her. I don't like the quartz but my wife doesn't care and actually prefers it as she hates resetting her rolex if she doesn't wear it for a couple days. Ti case, Pt links and bezel.

https://www.audemarspiguet.com/en/wa....ZZ.1261IP.01/

The other contender is a Patek with an incredible hand wound movement which puts every watch movement in my collection to shame. Its quite dressy though and not as versatile. Both are 33mm.

Also look at the 37mm offshores. Those wear smaller than the 37mm RO since they are on straps. I saw the ladies summer edition in person and it is really nice.
Attached Images
File Type: png 4f81813ff2fa45fef99a7f3ead906231.png (157.9 KB, 389 views)
File Type: png 4897_300G_001.png (115.7 KB, 385 views)
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2017, 03:22 AM   #5
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by singe89 View Post
Maybe try to find the older Lady RO with auto movement. Glad I got this one when I did because the 33mm size is perfect and has to be an auto.

Diamonds on white is a nice combo. Most women prefer the less fussy Quartz.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2017, 03:23 AM   #6
rossi46
"TRF" Member

Watch: shopping
Quote:
Originally Posted by HK Islandboy View Post
I'm now thinking I should also take a look at the PP 7118.
This is what I was thinking as soon as I read the title of the thread. Absolutely get the 7118.

My girlfriend has a small wrist, too, and the 37mm RO is too big. She refuses to wear anything quartz (she's actually quite a WIS herself!) and what AP charge for the 33mm is highway robbery.

The 7118, on the other hand, has the perfect size for a small wrist, keeps the design on the Genta masterpiece, AND you get a true PP movement. Doesn't get any better for a ladies sport watch IMO.

She tried a couple on at the Wempe store in NYC a few weeks back and fell in love. The white dial more than the grey dial. We're waiting on an opportunity to try the blue dial. I think the Nautilus works really well as a ladies watch - something about the softer curves, the more rounded case - makes it seem more appropriate for a woman compared to the hard, sharp lines of the RO.
Old 20 September 2017, 03:26 AM   #7
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossi46 View Post
This is what I was thinking as soon as I read the title of the thread. Absolutely get the 7118.
My ad pulled one out of the safe for my wife and she hated it. So make sure she tries it on. She was not a fan of the case shape or the waves in the dial pattern.
she really liked the older WG version though. Somehow the dial pattern and diamonds go better with the case design in the old version, but its quartz
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8014.jpg (154.8 KB, 372 views)
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 20 September 2017, 04:18 AM   #8
P2725TMB
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP, Rolex, Omega
Not a fan of those PPs at all, quite boring and lacking in style. Like the AP though. For my wife a rubber strap might be useful, as its less for her to scratch!
P2725TMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2017, 05:21 AM   #9
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
Originally Posted by P2725TMB View Post
That's lovely. The diamond in the ring is a bit small though isn't it!
no it's not, it's perfect, we have 4 rings from my great grand mother, my grandmother, and 2 from my mother, they are huge,1 diamond, on saphire, one emerald, 1 ruby and diamond, basically the kind of thing you almost never wear except to go eat at friends or when you have friends over, when a taxi or car is taking you from your home there and back, they are just TOO big, awesome but huge, the kind to get your fingers chopped off in most places in the world
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2017, 05:41 AM   #10
Tomas Eriksson
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15707CE
Quote:

gorgeous watch! Just need to ask, is the ring 3-carat?
Old 20 September 2017, 05:55 AM   #11
singe89
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas Eriksson View Post
gorgeous watch! Just need to ask, is the ring 3-carat?
Spot on. Good eye!

My wife actually took the pic to make fun of me always taking watch pics. She was in LA for an event and I was home watching the kids. She stopped by the boutique just to mess with me.
singe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2017, 06:07 AM   #12
Tomas Eriksson
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15707CE
Quote:
Spot on. Good eye!

My wife actually took the pic to make fun of me always taking watch pics. She was in LA for an event and I was home watching the kids. She stopped by the boutique just to mess with me.
Had girlfriends in the past who liked showing me rings whenever passing by jewellery stores...

haha, hilarious! Btw, a very nice wristshot, you have taught her well!
Old 20 September 2017, 07:10 AM   #13
rfatm3f
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
My ad pulled one out of the safe for my wife and she hated it. So make sure she tries it on. She was not a fan of the case shape or the waves in the dial pattern.
she really liked the older WG version though. Somehow the dial pattern and diamonds go better with the case design in the old version, but its quartz
Similar experience with the lady nautilus for my wife.
rfatm3f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2017, 09:49 AM   #14
Superburrito
"TRF" Member

Watch: 26420RO
Got my wife a PP Nautilus and she loves it. She far prefers the rubber strap to a metal bracelet since it is generally more comfortable, lighter and scratches less.
Superburrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2017, 03:35 PM   #15
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Quote:
Spot on. Good eye!

Great shot! Glad to see that the watch and the diamond balance each other out!
Old 20 September 2017, 03:42 PM   #16
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
this is the one I'm getting for my wife most likely. The 37mm was just too big on her. I don't like the quartz but my wife doesn't care and actually prefers it as she hates resetting her rolex if she doesn't wear it for a couple days. Ti case, Pt links and bezel.

https://www.audemarspiguet.com/en/wa....ZZ.1261IP.01/

The other contender is a Patek with an incredible hand wound movement which puts every watch movement in my collection to shame. Its quite dressy though and not as versatile. Both are 33mm.

Also look at the 37mm offshores. Those wear smaller than the 37mm RO since they are on straps. I saw the ladies summer edition in person and it is really nice.
Very, very nice.

Diamond bezels aren't really my wife's style, but the APs with the most striking dials by and large have diamonds (the 37mm ROs being the exception)
Old 20 September 2017, 03:44 PM   #17
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossi46 View Post

My girlfriend has a small wrist, too, and the 37mm RO is too big. She refuses to wear anything quartz (she's actually quite a WIS herself!) and what AP charge for the 33mm is highway robbery.

The 7118, on the other hand, has the perfect size for a small wrist, keeps the design on the Genta masterpiece, AND you get a true PP movement. Doesn't get any better for a ladies sport watch IMO.

She tried a couple on at the Wempe store in NYC a few weeks back and fell in love. The white dial more than the grey dial. We're waiting on an opportunity to try the blue dial. I think the Nautilus works really well as a ladies watch - something about the softer curves, the more rounded case - makes it seem more appropriate for a woman compared to the hard, sharp lines of the RO.
I'm keen to see this one in person, as the photos look great.
Old 20 September 2017, 03:45 PM   #18
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P2725TMB View Post
Not a fan of those PPs at all, quite boring and lacking in style. Like the AP though. For my wife a rubber strap might be useful, as its less for her to scratch!
I can relate. If I pull the trigger on any of these, a serious conversation will be required on proper watch storage!
Old 20 September 2017, 03:54 PM   #19
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superburrito View Post
Got my wife a PP Nautilus and she loves it. She far prefers the rubber strap to a metal bracelet since it is generally more comfortable, lighter and scratches less.
Does PP sell the rubber strap for the nautilus, or did you have to go third party?
Old 20 September 2017, 03:56 PM   #20
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Very, very nice.

Diamond bezels aren't really my wife's style, but the APs with the most striking dials by and large have diamonds (the 37mm ROs being the exception)
thats the dilemma for sure. My wife tends to prefer non diamond bezels too, but the only watches she actually likes have them. Both the RO and Nautilus look a little off to me in the small sizes with plain bezels. Especially the RO's. Im not a fan at all of the plain bezel 33mm but the 37mm looks nice. If she could pull off a 37mm RO she would get the non diamond 15450.
Old 20 September 2017, 05:01 PM   #21
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
thats the dilemma for sure. My wife tends to prefer non diamond bezels too, but the only watches she actually likes have them. Both the RO and Nautilus look a little off to me in the small sizes with plain bezels. Especially the RO's. Im not a fan at all of the plain bezel 33mm but the 37mm looks nice. If she could pull off a 37mm RO she would get the non diamond 15450.
I had the same reaction...could perhaps just about get over a blue dial 33
Old 20 September 2017, 05:27 PM   #22
tcheeco
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP & Rolex
My advice? just ask her and get her what she want.
I got for my wife a 67651ST, she wore it for maybe 1 month; a 15400ST white, 1 week wrist life maybe, both in her watchbox. She has always her submariner 116610LN
tcheeco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2017, 02:01 AM   #23
Superburrito
"TRF" Member

Watch: 26420RO
Quote:
Does PP sell the rubber strap for the nautilus, or did you have to go third party?
Sorry, I meant to type Aquanaut.
Superburrito is offline   Reply With Quote