The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 20 September 2017, 04:14 AM   #1
Styles Bitchley
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680
Seiko 6139-6000 "Pogue"

So I've had this old Seiko SpeedTimer sitting in a drawer for a few decades and its vintage appeal is only now starting to grow on me (and others, judging by its quickly growing collectibility). It's a very early March 1969 version for the Japanese domestic market and it has a distinctive styling that really sums up Japan at the time - racing toward the future with surprising craftsmanship.

I'm going to clean it up and get the button gaskets replaced, but I'm stumped on trying to source an original (or even newer but proper) bracelet. The one I have on it is a newer Seiko that just doesn't look right. The end pieces are crucial and they are quite unusual.

Does anyone have an idea on where to start looking for a proper vintage bracelet?

Here's an image: https://scontent.fymy1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...ac&oe=5A44B70C
Styles Bitchley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2017, 10:44 AM   #2
Sjmoore11
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Exp II - old & new
I have a yellow dial 6139-6002 that I bought on a really crappy beat up aftermarket bracelet. I'm my opinion the best option is uncleseiko.com. It's not original Seiko, but he makes very faithful reproductions that are much more durable than the originals (and a few other styles as well if they happen to catch your eye). If you really want an original bracelet you can try eBay. I was looking the other day and a seller in the UK is offering some that are NOS...but I didn't love the price and I make no claims on authenticity.
Sjmoore11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2017, 12:41 PM   #3
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjmoore11 View Post
I have a yellow dial 6139-6002 that I bought on a really crappy beat up aftermarket bracelet. I'm my opinion the best option is uncleseiko.com. It's not original Seiko, but he makes very faithful reproductions that are much more durable than the originals (and a few other styles as well if they happen to catch your eye). If you really want an original bracelet you can try eBay. I was looking the other day and a seller in the UK is offering some that are NOS...but I didn't love the price and I make no claims on authenticity.
^This.

Love my 6139 pepsi, an amazing workhorse. As you can see, I need to source a proper bracelet as well.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2017, 01:47 PM   #4
Styles Bitchley
"TRF" Member

Yes! Uncle Seiko is just what I'm looking for! Funny how Google can let you down sometimes. I love the guys on this forum.
Old 21 September 2017, 03:22 AM   #5
sierra11b
"TRF" Member

Watch: MkXVIII, 3570.50
I have uncles Seikos president style on mine and far prefer it over the h-link style
sierra11b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2017, 05:57 AM   #6
Styles Bitchley
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierra11b View Post
I have uncles Seikos president style on mine and far prefer it over the h-link style
I was thinking about that, actually. I've also seen a few with a distressed leather rally strap and I think it looks awesome.
Old 18 October 2017, 12:50 AM   #7
Styles Bitchley
"TRF" Member

Thanks for directing me to uncleseiko. I know the president bracelet isn't period-correct, but it looks so awesome I had to go for it. Super-comfortable too. I have to do some fiddling with the solid end links to get them seated properly.

Old 21 October 2017, 04:05 AM   #8
Sjmoore11

Looks great OP.
I made the same choice. The Uncle Seiko president works really well with the 6139.
Old 26 October 2017, 02:07 PM   #9
BlueNote
"TRF" Member

I have a 1973 all original 6139-6005 yellow Pogue except for the bracelet which I replaced with the Uncle Seiko H style bracelet in an attempt to replicate the original. The bracelet is pretty good except I don’t like that when the clasp closes there’s a gap instead of it sitting flush with the bracelet end. I like my Pogue’s honest history and the faded inner ring turning white. I’d like to get it serviced and everyone says use Spencer Klein; he’s definitely the man but his wait list is something like 11 months. Anyone know someone else who knows these 6139s who’s not going to swap out my original hands, bezel, etc.
BlueNote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2017, 09:59 PM   #10
Styles Bitchley
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueNote View Post
I have a 1973 all original 6139-6005 yellow Pogue except for the bracelet which I replaced with the Uncle Seiko H style bracelet in an attempt to replicate the original. The bracelet is pretty good except I don’t like that when the clasp closes there’s a gap instead of it sitting flush with the bracelet end. I like my Pogue’s honest history and the faded inner ring turning white. I’d like to get it serviced and everyone says use Spencer Klein; he’s definitely the man but his wait list is something like 11 months. Anyone know someone else who knows these 6139s who’s not going to swap out my original hands, bezel, etc.
That’s gorgeous. Mine’s all original too (even the crystal) and I’ve been wondering the same thing lately. My buttons are sticky - a classic problem with these when the gaskets wear out.
Old 26 October 2017, 10:00 PM   #11
Styles Bitchley
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjmoore11 View Post
Looks great OP.
I made the same choice. The Uncle Seiko president works really well with the 6139.
That looks amazing!
Old 27 October 2017, 12:21 AM   #12
BlueNote
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styles Bitchley View Post
That’s gorgeous. Mine’s all original too (even the crystal) and I’ve been wondering the same thing lately. My buttons are sticky - a classic problem with these when the gaskets wear out.

A buddy of mine who has a Pogue said he sent his to the Seiko NJ service center in 2014 and they did a regular overhaul for around $150. I’m sure that’s true but am reluctant to sent it there for fear that it might end up in the hands of someone who will do something like swap out my faded / now white bezel for a new one. That and my experience with other brand service centers is they send real vintage stuff back saying they don’t have parts.
Old 27 October 2017, 01:32 PM   #13
Sjmoore11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueNote View Post
I have a 1973 all original 6139-6005 yellow Pogue except for the bracelet which I replaced with the Uncle Seiko H style bracelet in an attempt to replicate the original. The bracelet is pretty good except I don’t like that when the clasp closes there’s a gap instead of it sitting flush with the bracelet end. I like my Pogue’s honest history and the faded inner ring turning white. I’d like to get it serviced and everyone says use Spencer Klein; he’s definitely the man but his wait list is something like 11 months. Anyone know someone else who knows these 6139s who’s not going to swap out my original hands, bezel, etc
Well I’m no help for an alternative...but I say go for Spencer and deal with the wait. He is indeed the man for 6139s. If it’s any consolation I just got mine back from him and the wait was ~ 9 months rather than his estimated 11...small victory!
Old 27 October 2017, 03:14 PM   #14
Styles Bitchley
"TRF" Member

Wondering why so many 6139s are in need of a bracelet? We’re the originals poor quality? If so, what part was prone to failure? When I got mine many years ago it was already on a replacement bracelet.
Old 27 October 2017, 10:50 PM   #15
CPRWATCH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT Master
Did I hear someone say Pogue ,this watch has got to be one of the all time classics & just about my favourite watch . I have had mine for about 30years plus , bought it for a couple of quid ( English pounds ). And as seems the way with all Pogue bracelets, a non original leather strap was fitted. Bought the Seiko 5 bracelet few years ago on Flea bay from a guy in Japan. Doubt its not the genuine thing ,but its the closest I could find , and the thickness of the crystal is just something else .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg seiko sun.jpg (224.8 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg seiko crystal.jpg (170.6 KB, 104 views)
CPRWATCH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2017, 02:01 AM   #16
Chuckred
"TRF" Member

Kicking myself again

I know I've told the story before, so I apologize. I bought one used in about 1979, just before heading out on a bike tour of New Zealand and Tasmania. It went through a lot, including 3 summers fighting fires in the western US. (I was wearing it when I snapped the retardant drop and became "chuckred".)

It survived snorkeling, surfing, storms, fires, etc. but then leaked one day. I was told it would be cheaper to replace than fix and tossed it in the trash. Uggh.

If I find the right one I may replace it, but don't really trust the e-bay versions.

Good memories with that watch!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Seiko%20hunter%20s%20thompson%20heliport.jpg (65.2 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg RetardantBomber_jpg~c100.jpg (2.6 KB, 96 views)
Chuckred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2017, 02:26 AM   #17
BlueNote
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styles Bitchley View Post
Wondering why so many 6139s are in need of a bracelet? We’re the originals poor quality? If so, what part was prone to failure? When I got mine many years ago it was already on a replacement bracelet.

These were relatively inexpensive watches when introduced in 1969. I read that Col. Pogue paid $71 for his in 1972. There were 4 or so bracelet types, most common was the H style bracelet. To meet a reasonable price point Seiko had to use bracelets that were of reasonably quality for the watch but couldn’t go top end and maintain target margins. Bracelets don’t last forever and these are 40+ yo watches. Pre-owned tend to come with replacement bracelets that were themselves purchased years ago.
Old 28 October 2017, 06:27 AM   #18
CPRWATCH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckred View Post
I know I've told the story before, so I apologize. I bought one used in about 1979, just before heading out on a bike tour of New Zealand and Tasmania. It went through a lot, including 3 summers fighting fires in the western US. (I was wearing it when I snapped the retardant drop and became "chuckred".)

It survived snorkeling, surfing, storms, fires, etc. but then leaked one day. I was told it would be cheaper to replace than fix and tossed it in the trash. Uggh.

If I find the right one I may replace it, but don't really trust the e-bay versions.

Good memories with that watch!
Serious respect to you , what a picture & story . No real story to mine except wearing it during Live Aid , unfortunately I have no pictures to prove this as ex partner sadly cut up all references of a previous life .
CPRWATCH is online now   Reply With Quote