The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 25 September 2017, 10:51 AM   #1
Snow-Dweller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: collections change
Does anyone know about zinc and pewter?

I'm in the middle of major refurbishment of my bar/restaurant, and had settled on the idea of a zinc barcounter. Then I learned that more often than not what one thinks is a zinc bar is in fact pewter.

The more research I do, the more confused I become. If any clever metallurgist out there can shed any light it would be much appreciated!

16803. 16570. 18038. 114300. BB58. GMW-B5000D.
Snow-Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2017, 10:56 AM   #2
Snow-Dweller
2024 Pledge Member

...and here's a sample of a pewter top.

Old 25 September 2017, 11:57 AM   #3
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Why do you want zinc?
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2017, 12:04 PM   #4
tamiya
"TRF" Member

Zinc is zinc (a periodic table element Zn in its own right).

Pewter is an alloy (mixture of metal elements) that's predominantly Tin (element Sn) which is a soft dull silvery metal. Trace amounts of other metals like copper are added to make it stiffer or more workable, it can be diecast or sheetrolled & welded.

Grew up around tin mines, don't think I'd use even a pewter tankard to drink from :) we just gift them as trophies haha. Pewter vase doesn't make flowers last longer & I can't disinfect it after use with strong chemicals like I do with glass/crystal.

Don't know if "sheet zinc" used for tops & splashbacks is pure zinc all the way thru, or just base steel with zinc coating. Always thought pure zinc was brittle. It's also rough & gains patina (possibly why ppl use it for decor) but not for me, I use acids & dark sauces in my cooking that'll stain it bad within a week.
tamiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2017, 12:11 PM   #5
swils8610
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

My uncle had pewter door knobs and hardware in a house that he had built. They were beautiful and expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2017, 12:19 PM   #6
Maybelline
Banned

I’m sorry the only thing I know about zinc is that this element is put on boats as a sacrifice to save the boat.
Maybelline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2017, 01:09 PM   #7
kneedeep
"TRF" Member

I would think that a pewter counter top is basically a formed alloyed tin sheet (pewter) whereas a zinc counter top is probably a zinc-coated steel sheet also formed as needed. The zinc coating may be deposited onto the steel via immersion of the sheet into a pot of molten zinc, literally hot dip galvanized, or via electrolysis as electro-galvanized. The hot dip galvanized will tend to be brighter (shinier) versus a duller, more grey appearance to the electro-galvanized which is generally also a smoother surface.
Old 25 September 2017, 01:28 PM   #8
tamiya
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swils8610 View Post
My uncle had pewter door knobs and hardware in a house that he had built. They were beautiful and expensive.
Like any jewellery, it's the workmanship that's expensive... tin itself is cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maybelline View Post
I’m sorry the only thing I know about zinc is that this element is put on boats as a sacrifice to save the boat.
yup, sacrificial anode. Even more common in your hot water boiler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneedeep View Post
I would think that a pewter counter top is basically a formed alloyed tin sheet (pewter) whereas a zinc counter top is probably a zinc-coated steel sheet also formed as needed. The zinc coating may be deposited onto the steel via immersion of the sheet into a pot of molten zinc, literally hot dip galvanized, or via electrolysis as electro-galvanized. The hot dip galvanized will tend to be brighter (shinier) versus a duller, more grey appearance to the electro-galvanized which is generally also a smoother surface.
Galvanised & zincalume sheeting... is what I'd use for my garden shed! But I'd call it "steel" not zinc.

For a high wear surface, any plating will wear thru eventually so I hope it's pure sheet all the way thru. I don't think it can be polished to mirror shine & kept that way easily, would need some protective coating - which then also wears thru.

Stick with stainless steel!

Unless it's a workshop then roughuse replaceable benchtops of mild steel I can weld to is handy. Shouldn't weld to zinc'd steel as the fumes aren't healthy.

Also for a benchtop that will see a lot of glassware, be mindful of hardness vs glass. Stemware toppling over will shatter easier on some surfaces. Can't remember which does which... just remember it being mentioned when I got involved in procuring a job lot of Spiegelau - they'll bounce back up unharmed off certain materials.
Old 25 September 2017, 05:14 PM   #9
Snow-Dweller
2024 Pledge Member

Thank you for your comments..very interesting.

Old 25 September 2017, 10:40 PM   #10
meganfox17
Banned

Why ? The World Famous Royal Selangor Pewter is located in my Country....Visit Home: Royal Selangor Pewter Official Website. Here's another one.

https://my.royalselangor.com/drinkware.html?__store=my

That's my Royal Selangor Pewter Star Wars Millenneum Falcon USB Flash drive 16GB
meganfox17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2017, 11:22 PM   #11
tamiya
"TRF" Member

haha MF USB, very cute... they've come a long way since going to queue for ltd edn Selangor Pewter turtle pin commemorating PATA 1986

Grew up in Selangor & Perak