The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 26 September 2017, 07:37 AM   #1
dr.ns23
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15202
Is it worth trying?

Hi and sorry for the yet another 5711/5712 related post
I will be traveling to Singapore around May 2018 and wanted to check with members that live in or are familiar with Singapore if it is worth contacting ADs there regarding either the 5711 or 5712?? I know my trip is still far but just wondering if my chances will increase if I contact the ADs from now and may be offer to pay a deposit for a chance to have it available by May.
I am on so many waiting lists mainly in Europe (as the States is relatively far for me) but I don’t think I will be able to get one any time soon. Few months ago I called almost every AD in Europe regarding these two watches and only 7 ADs agreed to put my name on a waiting list with 3-5 years estimate.. So honestly I don’t know what more to do. I just regret the many times I saw it and tried it on in 2010 and 2011 and never bought it. I loved it back then but was so into Rolex watches and thought that in the future I will buy a Nautilus...
Anyway, your help on my chances to find one in Singapore are greatly appreciated and any general advice on how to find one would also be great.
dr.ns23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2017, 10:25 AM   #2
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Can't hurt, fortune favours the active.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2017, 12:17 PM   #3
fidd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Patek
chances are quite slim in Singapore.

especially for SS models of Aquanaut/Nautilus.
fidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2017, 04:08 PM   #4
lianghee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pam, AP, Rolex
Is it worth trying?

Almost impossible to get a steel 5711 or 5712 from ADs in Singapore without an existing good relationship. Was only offered a 5167 bracelet and 5726 leather strap once. No harm trying though. Good luck in your hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
lianghee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2017, 05:20 PM   #5
OldOak
"TRF" Member

With my limited experience I think you need to physically go to some. I called all in UK and got laughed at re the 11. Went into one and had a really good watch chat with the guy, was there about 2 hours talking watches and then he got 3 SS out of the safe. He had a 12 for a customer coming to collect and let me see it but not try it on which I found really helpful but respectful. He took a deposit for a 12 and says he thinks I will have it end of the year latest
Phone calls and emails apparently come across like a Grey dealer and they can have their stock stopped from Patek if found to be selling to Grey dealers. He even said that they don’t release the warranty cards for 2 years now!
Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OldOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2017, 04:45 AM   #6
Hairdude1
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,PP, Rolex
I would, you never know

16750, 26401, 5711, 116718, 116710LN, 116300, 16710"Coke", 372, 15300, 15703 (All Flipped)
Official Member "Perpetual 30" Las Vegas GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member 'WIS-CON' Las Vegas Int'l GTG 2018
Hairdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2017, 04:47 AM   #7
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

I agree with the others...seems like a long shot but you might as well ask
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2017, 04:49 AM   #8
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
I got my 5712/1a (my 2nd time around this summer) by calling around. Timing and luck, and a little bit of charm, can go a long way.
Old 27 September 2017, 05:24 AM   #9
dr.ns23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPhillips6 View Post
With my limited experience I think you need to physically go to some. I called all in UK and got laughed at re the 11. Went into one and had a really good watch chat with the guy, was there about 2 hours talking watches and then he got 3 SS out of the safe. He had a 12 for a customer coming to collect and let me see it but not try it on which I found really helpful but respectful. He took a deposit for a 12 and says he thinks I will have it end of the year latest
Phone calls and emails apparently come across like a Grey dealer and they can have their stock stopped from Patek if found to be selling to Grey dealers. He even said that they don’t release the warranty cards for 2 years now!
Good luck

You're right but where I live there is only one Patek AD which I visited several times and they told me that they only get one or two watches per year maximum and their list is so long. I offered to pay a deposit but they refused. So it seems like I have to keep calling ADs (which I already did for Europe) and may be get lucky at some point.
Old 27 September 2017, 05:27 AM   #10
dr.ns23
"TRF" Member

Thank you all for your helpful replies. I will start calling/emailing tomorrow and see what happens..
Old 27 September 2017, 05:29 AM   #11
dr.ns23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lianghee View Post
Almost impossible to get a steel 5711 or 5712 from ADs in Singapore without an existing good relationship. Was only offered a 5167 bracelet and 5726 leather strap once. No harm trying though. Good luck in your hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thanks for your reply. How are the prices of watches like in Singapore? How do they compare to Europe? Sorry for the question but I have no idea of how watches are priced or what to expect in terms of pricing in Singapore..
Also do you recommend an AD that I should contact first? Thanks
Old 27 September 2017, 09:06 AM   #12
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Singapore is a great place to visit and they have a huge luxury watch market - one of the largest in Asia. They have experienced quite a downturn in the past few years due to reduced spending by Chinese tourists. So you may walk into a Patek AD and notice you are the only customer there.

Having said that, May 2018 is many months away. There will be new models announced at Basel 2018 and many models discontinued. You can call/email them, but being over 6 months away, I doubt any retailer will take your inquiry seriously unless you are introduced by a local regular customer.

There are couple of Patek boutiques that are owned and managed by Cortina that are quite nice (ION Orchard and Marina Bay Sand). Cortina and Hour Glass pretty much have a duopoly in Singapore.

Enjoy your visit to Singapore as it is an interesting city to experience, where chewing gum and littering are crimes with real fines
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2017, 09:59 AM   #13
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
Singapore is a great place to visit and they have a huge luxury watch market - one of the largest in Asia. They have experienced quite a downturn in the past few years due to reduced spending by Chinese tourists. So you may walk into a Patek AD and notice you are the only customer there.

Having said that, May 2018 is many months away. There will be new models announced at Basel 2018 and many models discontinued. You can call/email them, but being over 6 months away, I doubt any retailer will take your inquiry seriously unless you are introduced by a local regular customer.

There are couple of Patek boutiques that are owned and managed by Cortina that are quite nice (ION Orchard and Marina Bay Sand). Cortina and Hour Glass pretty much have a duopoly in Singapore.

Enjoy your visit to Singapore as it is an interesting city to experience, where chewing gum and littering are crimes with real fines
I had no idea
Old 27 September 2017, 11:05 AM   #14
tng11
"TRF" Member

As far as I know, the Aquanaut and Nautilus go for significant premiums at grey market dealers in Singapore. It seems unlikely you'll get a 5712 from an AD. It doesn't hurt to try though.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2017, 02:41 PM   #15
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Like in the movie Taken I will just say УДАЧИ (good luck)
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2017, 05:23 PM   #16
AJW232
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeopardy View Post
Thanks for your reply. How are the prices of watches like in Singapore? How do they compare to Europe? Sorry for the question but I have no idea of how watches are priced or what to expect in terms of pricing in Singapore..
Also do you recommend an AD that I should contact first? Thanks
I had a browse in a few Patek AD's when I was there a fortnight or so ago. There was good availability on pm models but much like in the uk there were no ss Nautilus or aquanauts to be seen. I think you'd be hard pushed to get one without a pre-existing relationship.
At full retail minus the cerca 5% tax rebate you get leaving the country the prices were lower than UK retail (although for those who reside outside the eu the uk would still be cheaper due to the higher vat refund on leaving the country). I was just browsing so didn't ask about further discounts etc.
AJW232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2017, 05:41 PM   #17
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJW232 View Post
I had a browse in a few Patek AD's when I was there a fortnight or so ago. There was good availability on pm models but much like in the uk there were no ss Nautilus or aquanauts to be seen. I think you'd be hard pushed to get one without a pre-existing relationship.
At full retail minus the cerca 5% tax rebate you get leaving the country the prices were lower than UK retail (although for those who reside outside the eu the uk would still be cheaper due to the higher vat refund on leaving the country). I was just browsing so didn't ask about further discounts etc.
That's certainly been my experience when I've checked in with Singapore Patek ADs. The ones I spoke with talked of having healthy wait lists for these models
HK Islandboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2017, 11:08 PM   #18
dr.ns23
"TRF" Member

I didn’t get the chance to call or email any AD today but will do so very soon. I will try my luck as I already did with the European ADs, let’s see what happens. Thanks again to all of your kind replies
Old 28 September 2017, 06:04 AM   #19
OldOak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeopardy View Post
I didn’t get the chance to call or email any AD today but will do so very soon. I will try my luck as I already did with the European ADs, let’s see what happens. Thanks again to all of your kind replies

I really do hope you get lucky all the best

OldOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2017, 06:48 AM   #20
KBM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

No harm in trying, you never know. Keep us posted!
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2017, 07:34 AM   #21
dr.ns23
"TRF" Member

Will definitely keep you all posted, thanks again