The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 13 May 2018, 05:58 PM   #1
andrewjb88
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16302 Rolex OP
Inherited my first Rolex

Hi all, first post.

I've never been a watch wearer but me and my sister have inherited 2x Rolex after our father passed away a month ago. Both are Oyster Perpetual Datejust. Looking for some advice.

The one I have inherited my dad wore everyday, its not been serviced since 2002 but is still working fine, I have used the Toolwatch app and it seems to be running +11-13spd. The case and bracelet are scratched as it was worn everyday.

The one my sister has got is a slightly more expensive one, this has diamonds on the face. This watch was serviced in 2013. He hardly wore this one so the case and bracelet are spotless, the second hand however jumps slightly so its obvious it requires attention (i haven't checked the accuracy of it yet).

Both were purchased from John Pass Crewe store, I believe the one I have was John Pass's personal watch for a while. Both have been serviced through John Pass and been sent off to Rolex.

John Pass has quoted somewhere in the region of £600 each for them to be sent off to Rolex and a 14 week turnaround (2 week of which is taking them from Crewe to Newcastle-Under-Lyme store)

Would you recommend using Rolex for the servicing or a good independent accredited service? if Rolex can I deal directly with the service centre in Kent? I'm actually based in Milton Keynes but my mum/sister are in Crewe hence John Pass being used.

We also have a Tag and 2x Gucci that need servicing.
andrewjb88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2018, 06:07 PM   #2
thesharkfactor
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
If you give them to Rolex, they will polish all your dads wear out of them, if this is a concern, request they are not polished!
thesharkfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2018, 06:15 PM   #3
JayB
"TRF" Member

Watch: EXP, DJ, NF
Sorry for your loss but it's great you have something wonderful to remember him by.

I have no experience of the Service Centre in Kent but as they list opening times on the Rolex website I don't see why you wouldn't be able to take the watch in person. Maybe give them a ring on Monday as they also list a telephone number.

Regarding having it serviced by Rolex or an independent watchmaker. I would be inclined to suggest Rolex in this instance, firstly you mentioned not being a watch wearer so it's extremely unlikely you know of someone you'd trust to work on it and also due to the high, sentimental value of the watch I wouldn't try to save a few pounds on service costs as I'd want it done properly.

Oh, and please post some pictures before and after the service

Rolex Explorer -- Rolex Datejust -- Tudor North Flag -- Omega De Ville Trésor -- Tudor Black Bay GMT -- Omega Speedmaster Professional -- Tudor Black Bay Fifty Eight
JayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2018, 06:27 PM   #4
stevedssd
"TRF" Member

^ As above by Jay B. Sorry for the loss of your Father, having one of his watches each is a great way to remember him and have something to cherish.

The advantage of taking the watches to the Service Centre in Kent (or Rolex HQ at St James), is that all future communication is directly with you rather than an Authorised Dealer. The UK Service Centre usually does an excellent job and they will communicate with you to provide a schedule of recommended work before doing anything.
stevedssd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2018, 06:40 PM   #5
andrewjb88
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedssd View Post
The advantage of taking the watches to the Service Centre in Kent (or Rolex HQ at St James), is that all future communication is directly with you rather than an Authorised Dealer. The UK Service Centre usually does an excellent job and they will communicate with you to provide a schedule of recommended work before doing anything.

I'm in London on Tuesday was going to pop in and see them!
Old 13 May 2018, 06:43 PM   #6
andrewjb88
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayB View Post

Regarding having it serviced by Rolex or an independent watchmaker. I would be inclined to suggest Rolex in this instance, firstly you mentioned not being a watch wearer so it's extremely unlikely you know of someone you'd trust to work on it and also due to the high, sentimental value of the watch I wouldn't try to save a few pounds on service costs as I'd want it done properly.

Oh, and please post some pictures before and after the service

I have been recommended a few places;

Watch Doctors in Tring
Angelsey watch & clocks

John Pass also also offered a 2nd service which I think was about £300, guessing they would send it to an accredited repairer?

Will post a picture in a few minutes, I don't have one of my sisters watch at the moment.
Old 13 May 2018, 06:44 PM   #7
andrewjb88
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesharkfactor View Post
If you give them to Rolex, they will polish all your dads wear out of them, if this is a concern, request they are not polished!
I'd like it tidying up a little but don't want it to look brand new if you get what I mean, the watch is quite dirty in between links etc. I have tried toothbrush and hot water which brought a bit of it out but still lots more to come off.
Old 13 May 2018, 07:23 PM   #8
MJ8
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Send it into rolex and tell them not to Polish!
MJ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2018, 08:30 PM   #9
stealthhawk
Banned

The best you can do for the watches is to take them to RSC... Though it might take longer.
stealthhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2018, 08:46 PM   #10
andrewjb88
"TRF" Member

Will give them a call on Monday, I actually fancy physically driving them down there as its about an hour from me.
Old 13 May 2018, 09:01 PM   #11
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I would take the watch to the RSC myself and cut out the middleman. Rolex will discuss with you what needs to be done and the cost. They will also allow you to decide how much polishing you want on the case. AD's also make money on service and there is a cost built into the price that allows them to profit. You will also get a warranty on the work.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2018, 09:19 PM   #12
Bt122
Banned

Watch: Ok...Watching
Sorry to hear about your loss. I wouldn’t polish the watch because of the sentimental value as others have suggested
Bt122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2018, 09:52 PM   #13
andrewjb88
"TRF" Member

Pictures as promised, had to reach 10 posts before could post

As you can see it's quite worn! Despite not being a watch wearer I've worn it everyday since getting it!

While I was in John Pass having it adjusted to fit, I spotted a Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra "James Bond 007 Spectre" limited edition (sorry for swearing). I've considered buying one of these as an everyday watch now haha. I'm a James Bind fan and the blue/yellow colour scheme caught my eye.
Old 13 May 2018, 11:45 PM   #14
storm66
"TRF" Member

I would get the movement serviced and leave the case and bracelet,then wear it everyday
storm66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2018, 11:50 PM   #15
andrewjb88
"TRF" Member

Yeh, the case and bracelet just need a clean (lots of gunk built up) I don't want it to look brand new again.

On a side note, I've not looked at the paperwork too much but any idea on how to find out what year it was made etc?
Old 13 May 2018, 11:59 PM   #16
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

The watch looks really good, the way you described it I imagined it being a little worse.

Just get both serviced, no polish.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2018, 03:15 PM   #17
andrewjb88
"TRF" Member

Dug out the box and documentation last night, 1998 the certificate says on it.
Old 14 May 2018, 03:56 PM   #18
henrylee
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN Ceramic
I would wear it as is.
Old 14 May 2018, 04:07 PM   #19
DanMdR
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP 36
Looks great! I wouldn’t polish, just an ultrasonic bath.
DanMdR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2018, 04:10 PM   #20
andrewjb88
"TRF" Member

Think I have settled on a service, clean and very light polish just to try and take out some of the deeper scars (2 of which I have caused since wearing it)

I gave it the old hot water, washing up liquid and a toothbrush last night and managed to get a lot of the gunk out of links.
Old 14 May 2018, 08:26 PM   #21
RazorD
"TRF" Member

Sorry for your loss. That’s a wonderful watch to wear and remember him by.
RazorD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2018, 08:40 PM   #22
Vicious49
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewjb88 View Post
Think I have settled on a service, clean and very light polish just to try and take out some of the deeper scars (2 of which I have caused since wearing it)

I gave it the old hot water, washing up liquid and a toothbrush last night and managed to get a lot of the gunk out of links.
They should be able to take the bracelet and drop it in a sonic cleaner to get all the gunk out. It sounds like that's all you're really looking for besides servicing the movement. My local watch shop and the Omega boutique have done that for me before for free so it should be much cheaper than getting a polish.
Vicious49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2018, 08:50 PM   #23
andrewjb88
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious49 View Post
They should be able to take the bracelet and drop it in a sonic cleaner to get all the gunk out. It sounds like that's all you're really looking for besides servicing the movement. My local watch shop and the Omega boutique have done that for me before for free so it should be much cheaper than getting a polish.
I'm guessing the RSC will clean it as part of the service.
Old 14 May 2018, 09:47 PM   #24
kzm40
"TRF" Member

The end link looks a little loose on the 6 o'clock side, it may be a worn spring bar! But a service will sort it out.
kzm40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2018, 09:57 PM   #25
abozz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660, 126600
Beautiful DateJust with gold roman dial!! Enjoy it
abozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2018, 05:07 AM   #26
andrewjb88
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abozz View Post
Beautiful DateJust with gold roman dial!! Enjoy it
Thanks, I was out in London yesterday in a bar near Bank.

Suited and booted 3 piece style which is unusual for me these days as I'm usually in gym gear most of the time. Guy next to me noticed the watch and started chatting he had a lovely Rolex GMT on.

Popped into Watches Of Switzerland yesterday some lovely watches in there. I'm on the Tudor BB GMT waiting list at my local Goldsmiths but I just get this feeling it will either be October/December when I get one or won't get one at all.

What would you say is a good budget alternative or similar? around the £2.5-3k mark? I've been looking at 2nd hand Tudor Heritage Black Bay's.
Old 17 May 2018, 05:09 AM   #27
andrewjb88
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzm40 View Post
The end link looks a little loose on the 6 o'clock side, it may be a worn spring bar! But a service will sort it out.
Yeh it does feel a little loose at the 5'oclock side.
Old 31 July 2018, 06:06 AM   #28
andrewjb88
"TRF" Member

finally got my dads 2 watches back together again today, the other is a 16234 2002.

Luch one hand
Old 31 July 2018, 06:16 AM   #29
FlyDuc78
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Day-Date YG
Nice looking watches
FlyDuc78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2018, 06:42 AM   #30
dhknola
"TRF" Member

Second hand Tudor Pelagos is one I have been looking at...Black bay line is getting too big for me and I think the titanium is a cool selling point. Just go back forth btw the old 2 line etas and new in house with constitutional preamble on dial.
dhknola is offline   Reply With Quote