The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 4 August 2018, 06:10 AM   #1
DonBateman
Banned

Watch: I like watch
Speedmaster - Stopped Running

Ok, I am sure this is an easy fix, but I was winding my speedy the other day like I do every other day, and I felt a small "pop" or "click" sound around the crown and noticed the second hand stopped. I wound it a little bit more to see if it would start again. It didn't. The chronograph does not run either. I know I did not "over wind" it because I am very careful not to. As soon as I feel it is fully wound I stop. I called Omega and they said it sounded like a winding spring or crown spring?

I mainly just want to know is this is an easy fix for an indy watch maker or should I send it in to swatch? Any ideas?
DonBateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2018, 08:28 PM   #2
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
I guess I have a couple of questions: Is the watch still under warranty? If so, then send it to Omega. If it isn't, then is it old enough that this would be a good time for a full maintenance service anyhow? If so, then send it to Omega. If it isn't under warranty and if it isn't old enough for a full maintenance service, then I guess there's no harm in letting a watchmaker open it and diagnose.

If it were mine, and if it's a watch I plan to keep forever (my Speedmaster is), then I would just send it straight to Omega. They'll perform a full maintenance service, and it'll be a bit pricy, but if I'm keeping the watch forever then I don't mind spending some money (you can find pricing on the Customer Service section of Omega's web site).
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2018, 02:24 AM   #3
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonBateman View Post
. . . I know I did not "over wind" it because I am very careful not to. As soon as I feel it is fully wound I stop. I called Omega and they said it sounded like a winding spring or crown spring?

I mainly just want to know is this is an easy fix for an indy watch maker or should I send it in to swatch? Any ideas?
You wind a manual wind watch until it stops; there isn't really any such thing as "overwind".

If you can continue to wind your manual wind watch (you do not hit the stop), then the mainspring is likely broken.
Old 6 August 2018, 06:29 AM   #4
DonBateman
Banned

It’s the mainspring. An independent watch repairman by me said $650 to repair because it involves a full service. Omega charges $750 for a full service so I might just go through them. Is a full service required?
Old 6 August 2018, 06:42 AM   #5
JeremyS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It’s the mainspring. An independent watch repairman by me said $650 to repair because it involves a full service. Omega charges $750 for a full service so I might just go through them. Is a full service required?
I don't know that's it's required, but why not? If the mainspring failed, it stands to reason there could be other components that may be on the verge of failing, or at the very least, could do with a cleaning and service.
JeremyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2018, 07:25 AM   #6
onemany
"TRF" Member

Your mainspring failed. Are you thinking that they’ll open it up and just replace the mainspring and you will save yourself a bunch of money?
onemany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2018, 09:41 AM   #7
DonBateman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemany View Post
Your mainspring failed. Are you thinking that they’ll open it up and just replace the mainspring and you will save yourself a bunch of money?
Yes I’m wondering if that can be done.
Old 6 August 2018, 12:17 PM   #8
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Yes I’m wondering if that can be done.
It can be done, but once you take the watch half-way apart to get to the mainspring, it doesn't make much sense to not clean and oil everything while you are there.
Old 6 August 2018, 11:01 PM   #9
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Although I don't know your local watchmaker, I suppose I would let Omega service it. If you phone Omega Customer Service at (800) 766-6342 and ask for their assistance in shipping your watch to an Omega Service Center, then they should email you a shipping label addressed to their center in NJ that you can stick right on the package. They will log your watch into their on-line Customer Information System, where you will review the estimate and then track your watch's progress through the service process. It's pretty slick.
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2018, 11:45 PM   #10
onemany
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
It can be done, but once you take the watch half-way apart to get to the mainspring, it doesn't make much sense to not clean and oil everything while you are there.
This. An Omega service consists of disassembling the watch, cleaning the parts, checking for wear, replacing worn parts, reassembly, lubrication, and polishing the case and band, and checking for water resistance.

If one part of the watch has failed and the watch is not new the rest of the watch could probably use a good service. If you try to save yourself a few bucks by not getting a full service I wouldn't be surprised if sooner rather than later you'd have to take the watch in for a full service and you'd actually end up paying more.
onemany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2018, 03:57 AM   #11
DonBateman
Banned

I know the service makes sense but I purchased the watch brand new about 3 years ago so I didn't think I needed a service just yet.

Thank you everyone for the info!
Old 7 August 2018, 04:46 AM   #12
twitch54
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1888 Appleton Trac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
exactly, can't imagine anyone with half a brain doing anything but that, then again a three year old watch shouldn't of happened I suppose.
twitch54 is offline   Reply With Quote