The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 14 August 2018, 03:15 PM   #1
rtalk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710T
Do Omega variants of the Speedmaster hurt the watch?

I was watching an interview panel at SIHH, where people were asked which watches were the most iconic watches of the 20th century.

One gentleman responded the Omega Speedmaster was the most iconic watch of the 20th century. Ben Clymer followed up with something along the lines of "do you still believe that even though Omega has made a lot of variants of the watch". Now I am pretty sure Ben Cylmer loves the Speedmaster and was probably just grilling the guy to test his knowledge but perhaps he is on to something.

Is an Omega Speedmaster with a Peanuts character a true Speedmaster? Is that like a Rolex GMT with a minute repeater? Does that hurt the iconic status of the watch?

My view is that perhaps Omega has not stayed faithful to the Speedmaster but perhaps the Speedie is so iconic that it can withstand the dillution.

When you think about Swiss watches. They are inherently Swiss, but the Speedie is the only Swiss watch that is American given its history with NASA and that a few Speedies had significant components made in the USA and did not bear the Swiss made logo. I can't say that for a sub or nautilis etc..

What are your thought on this?
116519 Grey dial Oysterflex Daytona. 116500 Black. 116710BLNR. 16710T. Rolex Explorer I 39MM. 4 digit DateJust. JLC Master Control with Sector Dial. Omega FOIS. Grand Seiko Four Seasons (Spring Version). Tudor Royal. IWC Cal 83 (~1940s). 41MM sub. Omega CK859.
rtalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2018, 03:40 PM   #2
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Depends on your definition of "hurt." I feel the reason Omega continues to make so many variations is because of one reason......it sells like hotcakes for the most part....especially most of their limited editions. And mostly it's because the variations are good looking watches...not that surprising with the DNA being from the Speedmaster as a lot of watch people have shown to be smitten with from an aesthetic point of view.....IMO it's still the most legible chronograph out there for the most part that's been around that long.

The watch itself is iconic and timeless since the introduction and few know thoroughly about its tie to space travel/NASA (I'm assuming you might not even know as much as you think you do with the jab on the Peanuts character....look up Apollo 13 and Snoopy Award). But the design is magical as it appeals to a wide range of audience....hence it's not hard to see variations do well also with consumers.

I think most of us guys who collect Speedmasters eventually hit that point though....do I really need another Speedmaster and what's so special about this new limited whatever edition.....it does put a sour taste in my mouth personally after so many iterations and the limited editions continue to pile on at a faster rate in the last years.....it'll hit a dead end sooner or later IMO when people just get sick of their limited edition scheme of marketing and all their "new" Speedmasters will just sit.

But as long as they are creating new nice Speedmasters that appeal to me, I certainly won't mind collecting them.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2018, 04:08 PM   #3
SearChart
TechXpert

Not to me.
I do not like the idea of limited edition everything like omega is doing, but it's hard to beat the original Speedmaster moonwatch, as long as they keep making it, I'm happy.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2018, 08:28 PM   #4
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
Not to me.
I do not like the idea of limited edition everything like omega is doing, but it's hard to beat the original Speedmaster moonwatch, as long as they keep making it, I'm happy.
Yeah, this is how I feel, too. The Speedmaster Pro will always be a staple for watch enthusiasts, and we can simply ignore all of the limited edition noise if those things don't interest us.

About variations in the form of other models: I think it's good that there are models other than the Speedmaster Professional that offer features many people appreciate, such as a self-winding movement, a date display, and a sapphire crystal. I have considered having one, but I guess if I want something with those features then I'll take advantage of the opportunity for variety, and go with a Zenith El Primero instead.
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2018, 08:33 PM   #5
Brew
"TRF" Member

Would Omega sell enough SMPs for the piece to survive, if they didn't make the variants? What would they talk about each year in Basel? Oh, wait . . . .
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2018, 09:29 PM   #6
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Not if you believe there's no such thing as bad publicity.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2018, 02:35 AM   #7
Neek
"TRF" Member

The only version I would consider iconic of the 20th century is the manual wind Speedmaster Professional with Hesalite.

They can make other watches, including chronos that fall under the Speedmaster line. That doesn't change the fact that since the mid-50s, the Speedmaster (along with perhaps the Daytona) has all but defined what a high quality, accessible Swiss mechanical chronograph is.
Neek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2018, 03:21 AM   #8
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
I agree with my fellow posters. I love the basic Hesalite Speedmaster and can take or leave the LE’s and automatic variants. I did do the Mitsukoshi dial conversion to mine so I guess that makes me a bit of a hypocrite, but it’s a completely reversible procedure using OEM parts.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2018, 12:29 PM   #9
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
To me...Yes.
Old 15 August 2018, 12:32 PM   #10
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
Not to me.
I fall into this camp too
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2018, 01:24 PM   #11
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I think Swatch has more to do with the 4-P’s of Omega than us.

Swatch Execs didn’t read Toffler’s Future Shock - that is obvious. Overchoice is the problem methinks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2018, 01:35 PM   #12
thejerseyrock
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Omega, AP
From any angle you approach it, Speedmaster is an iconic watch. I have two vintage speedys - a 67 321 caliber and a 69 861 caliber pre-moon. They are my favorites. But... I also bought the 60th speedy and I have to say I absolutely love it, and it gets a Lot of wrist time.... AND.. have you seen the prices that a silver snoopy are getting on the second-hand market (if you can even find one for sale?)
thejerseyrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2018, 07:29 PM   #13
Rolexavidfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
Depends on your definition of "hurt." I feel the reason Omega continues to make so many variations is because of one reason......it sells like hotcakes for the most part....especially most of their limited editions. And mostly it's because the variations are good looking watches...not that surprising with the DNA being from the Speedmaster as a lot of watch people have shown to be smitten with from an aesthetic point of view.....IMO it's still the most legible chronograph out there for the most part that's been around that long.

The watch itself is iconic and timeless since the introduction and few know thoroughly about its tie to space travel/NASA (I'm assuming you might not even know as much as you think you do with the jab on the Peanuts character....look up Apollo 13 and Snoopy Award). But the design is magical as it appeals to a wide range of audience....hence it's not hard to see variations do well also with consumers.

I think most of us guys who collect Speedmasters eventually hit that point though....do I really need another Speedmaster and what's so special about this new limited whatever edition.....it does put a sour taste in my mouth personally after so many iterations and the limited editions continue to pile on at a faster rate in the last years.....it'll hit a dead end sooner or later IMO when people just get sick of their limited edition scheme of marketing and all their "new" Speedmasters will just sit.

But as long as they are creating new nice Speedmasters that appeal to me, I certainly won't mind collecting them.

When I got the 60th anniversary Speedmaster, I felt that’s about what I was looking for - a 38mm+ chrono with easy to wind crown and great bracelet. It also helps that it came with the other two - Seamaster 300 and Railmaster.

Eventually I sold my Moonwatch and never look back. It will take a while for me to get back to another Speedy version - regular, limited or special.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go for the timepiece you love. You will save more. ...
Rolexavidfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2018, 09:15 PM   #14
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
The Speedmaster is a great, iconic watch. With that said you can chase a lot of variations around and still not really have it covered. I own the Co-Axial 44.25 model and like it for the automatic movement and size.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150514_101036.jpg (174.6 KB, 216 views)
File Type: jpg 20150625_184437.jpg (195.3 KB, 219 views)
File Type: jpg 20180504_171246 (002).jpg (204.6 KB, 217 views)
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2018, 10:14 PM   #15
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
not for me they dont.

I like when the new ones come out. one day, I will find the perfect one for me.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2018, 11:25 PM   #16
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
I look at the Speedy, still at a truly accessible price point, as the core of Omega's offering, say the equivalent of a Rolex DJ. And, just like the DJ you can go classic, or you can add a splash of color. As long as the original hand wound hesalite version remains available, I wouldn't begrudge offering different options for different tastes...
I wasn't keen on the original, rather shiny DSOM, but the more muted Vintage version on the brown strap, that's on my radar, as is the black dialed, master chronometer Racing variant, so when I have funds available, omega will make a sale they might otherwise have not.
asiparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2018, 05:24 AM   #17
mmalek1
"TRF" Member

Watch: This one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
not for me they dont.

I like when the new ones come out. one day, I will find the perfect one for me.

I agree, but I think I have found the one for me. I am still shocked at how this one feels so right and I still look forward to putting this one on my wrist every time. Brushed, hesalite, reverse panda and manual wind, just right
♛16610LV, ♛116710BLNR, ♛214270, ♛116610LN, ♛216570, ♛116900, ♛16600, ♛116400GV, ΩSpeedmaster Silver Snoopy 45th and 50th, ΩSpeedmaster ST1, ΩCK859, Seiko Alpinist SPB089, Casio Oceanus S100, Ball DM1020
mmalek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2018, 11:46 AM   #18
CRM114
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTs,1803, 16610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiparks View Post
I look at the Speedy, still at a truly accessible price point, as the core of Omega's offering, say the equivalent of a Rolex DJ. And, just like the DJ you can go classic, or you can add a splash of color. As long as the original hand wound hesalite version remains available, I wouldn't begrudge offering different options for different tastes...
That's how I see it as well. I never understood all the fussing over offering variations on the main theme, which is still being produced.

Variants don't hurt it one bit. It's a made-up "issue".
CRM114 is offline   Reply With Quote