The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 August 2020, 02:18 PM   #1
Mutsu
"TRF" Member

Advice: OP 39 Availability in Tokyo

Warning, this is part rant while also asking for advice...

I've had my eyes on an OP 39 for a while and after recently getting the all clear from the other half to buy for my upcoming birthday I started making frequent trips to ADs in Tokyo.

Quite a few times I've visited about 10 ADs in Tokyo on the same day and get the same immediate answer from them all... No OP 39s... they can't put me on a waiting list... they don't know when they will get stock... keep coming back to the store to check.

These repeated visits calling in at multiple stores takes a couple of hours at least and it's starting to feel like a big waste of my time.

I contacted a grey market Rolex dealer and they immediately said they could put my name on a waiting list and told me the number of other people waiting.

I understand that the SS watches are in high demand, but this type of service from a retailer is quite poor imo.

What would people advise in this situation? Anything else I can try when going to an AD, or should I just put my name down for a grey market watch?

Thanks
Mutsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 02:43 PM   #2
jltait
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116200
Buy from an overseas dealer, perhaps a trusted seller here. Pay the import fees. It’s not a very large expense in the scheme of things and life is short. Enjoy your new watch.
jltait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 03:36 PM   #3
moting
"TRF" Member

Watch: addict
Same in HK, the OP39 is impossible to find at the ADs. Seems something will happen to the OP in September :) probably the new movement. I have decided to wait a few weeks, no reason to don't see them back after summer .. either the current one if no upgrade or the new one.
moting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 03:37 PM   #4
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
Can’t you go to Nakano and find one in like ten minutes?

Tokyo has got to be one of the toughest places to find anything if you’re not a VIP.

Good luck in your search.
42itus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 03:47 PM   #5
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

It’s especially tough in the Asian markets as the AD really don’t want to deal with these kinds of purchases. These watches go straight to greys or get bundled with PM watches for the VIP to use as gifts for staff..etc.

The AD there truly prefer the large ticket PM references and focus their efforts on those. The SS sports can be packed and sold to greys so they can deal with lists and other annoyances.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 03:47 PM   #6
estrangable
"TRF" Member

what a weird world that we are living in ! you need to be in a waiting list for a OP :p .... these watches used to be in the watch case semi-permanently and the sales person have to entice you with substantial discount to sell it away
estrangable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 05:47 PM   #7
JonaG
"TRF" Member

Watch: ...
Yeah it's tough in Tokyo, if you happen to be there when the model you want is in the case then fine, otherwise "no can do" in most cases. No wait lists or anything. A long shot, but if you have a relative/friend who has a 'gaisho' or personal shopper at a department store like Seibu or something you could request the OP you want.

Otherwise I would order it through a trusted seller on here. Nakano will likely be very expensive as they slap massive premiums on almost any model perceived to be in demand.

Good luck!
Old 13 August 2020, 06:13 PM   #8
Hellrot
"TRF" Member

Watch: Deepsea D-Blue
Expat working in Japan with similar experience. No AD in Tokyo had a Milgauss. Was also told there is no waiting list they can put me on and they weren't sure when they would get one again. No amount of persuasion worked (i.e., not a reseller, not a tourist, showing them the DSSD on my wrist, etc.). I eventually gave up. Hope you have better luck
Hellrot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 06:27 PM   #9
AnakChan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellrot View Post
Expat working in Japan with similar experience. No AD in Tokyo had a Milgauss. Was also told there is no waiting list they can put me on and they weren't sure when they would get one again. No amount of persuasion worked (i.e., not a reseller, not a tourist, showing them the DSSD on my wrist, etc.). I eventually gave up. Hope you have better luck
Last year, I was lucky to spot a Milgauss in Mitsukoshi's Rolex AD in Mitsukoshimae and tried it on but wasn't a fan of the lightning bolt secondhand. It disappeared in the next day or two. I picked up my DJ41 from the same store a few weeks later. Wonder if I should have picked the Milgauss instead of the DJ41.

I guess this year it's even harder and even for the OPs. There used to be quite a few OP39's floating around in the ADs in Tokyo last year. I'm surprised if the grey market in Nakano/Shinjuku don't have any OPs though.
AnakChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 06:35 PM   #10
Mutsu
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42itus View Post
Can’t you go to Nakano and find one in like ten minutes?

Tokyo has got to be one of the toughest places to find anything if you’re not a VIP.

Good luck in your search.
While I've not tried actively going to Nakano yet, I did check the online shops of the stores that I do know are there. There was one available a couple of days ago (when I was not able to get out there) which has since gone.

There is about a 15% markup on RRP for the OP of the ones I've seen in stock on the grey market. Put my name down to see one of them if it doesn't sell to the 4 people on the list to see it before me.
Old 13 August 2020, 06:38 PM   #11
Mutsu
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonaG View Post
Yeah it's tough in Tokyo, if you happen to be there when the model you want is in the case then fine, otherwise "no can do" in most cases. No wait lists or anything. A long shot, but if you have a relative/friend who has a 'gaisho' or personal shopper at a department store like Seibu or something you could request the OP you want.

Otherwise I would order it through a trusted seller on here. Nakano will likely be very expensive as they slap massive premiums on almost any model perceived to be in demand.

Good luck!
My wife's grandpa has a gaisho, so this is an option - she said if they make the order I'd likely have to buy without being able to try on because they are in Kyoto.

I'll likely pursue that route further.

Thanks for the info!
Old 13 August 2020, 06:39 PM   #12
JonaG
"TRF" Member

Here are a couple for sale in Nakano

https://www.jackroad.co.jp/shop/g/grx774/

https://www.thewatchcompany.co.jp/オイ...300purple.html
Old 13 August 2020, 06:41 PM   #13
JonaG
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutsu View Post
My wife's grandpa has a gaisho, so this is an option - she said if they make the order I'd likely have to buy without being able to try on because they are in Kyoto.

I'll likely pursue that route further.

Thanks for the info!
I got both my sub and YM that way -

You can always try on at grey
Old 13 August 2020, 06:46 PM   #14
Mutsu
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Here are a couple for sale in Nakano...
Thanks for looking, however, the first one is out of stock.

The second one is a dial color I'm not interested in (looking for Black, or would consider white too). That and the markup is about 30% over RRP. While I really like the watch, I think I'd regret paying that much more over RRP.
Old 13 August 2020, 06:50 PM   #15
Mutsu
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I got both my sub and YM that way -

You can always try on at grey
Curious to know how the name on the warranty works in this case?

And I assume you were able to make the payment using your own credit card?
Old 13 August 2020, 07:05 PM   #16
JonaG
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Curious to know how the name on the warranty works in this case?

And I assume you were able to make the payment using your own credit card?
Name on the card is my name for sub but now with the new card there is no name on it. The gaisho was the in laws and now he is our gaisho. I don't see any reason why you couldn't pay how you wish. There are limits to what they can obviously do but I would say an OP should be within reach with a little wait. There simply may just be a shortage of that model at the moment. Stocks seem low at the greys on certain models.

You also might have better luck over in Kansai anyway even at ADs.
Old 13 August 2020, 07:17 PM   #17
jimcarver
"TRF" Member

Never had a good experience walking into a AD in Japan.

I usually start on Chrono 24, filter for Japan and take it from there.

Avoid Quark, crazy expensive. A long shot but worth trying Yodabashi Camera and Don Quijote, they don't carry a lot of stock but not badly priced if they happen to have what you want.

This is on Chrono, 660,000 so looks to be around retail (Rolex website shows 600k, but I am not sure if that includes tax).

https://www.chrono24.com/rolex/rolex...-id8513853.htm
jimcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 07:19 PM   #18
Mutsu
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Name on the card is my name for sub but now with the new card there is no name on it. The gaisho was the in laws and now he is our gaisho. I don't see any reason why you couldn't pay how you wish. There are limits to what they can obviously do but I would say an OP should be within reach with a little wait. There simply may just be a shortage of that model at the moment. Stocks seem low at the greys on certain models.

You also might have better luck over in Kansai anyway even at ADs.
Did you have to go in person to make the payment with your in-laws?

I'm wondering how we might be able to do it if it has to be in person. Our grandpa is over 90 years old and with the current COVID situation I think it would be unwise to risk travelling to kansai and being around them.

I had heard rumors of there being new models released in September, potentially a new movement in the OP 39. But my main worry here is they change the dial design to something less favorable in my opinion.
Old 13 August 2020, 07:23 PM   #19
Mutsu
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcarver View Post
Never had a good experience walking into a AD in Japan.

I usually start on Chrono 24, filter for Japan and take it from there.

Avoid Quark, crazy expensive. A long shot but worth trying Yodabashi Camera and Don Quijote, they don't carry a lot of stock but not badly priced if they happen to have what you want.

This is on Chrono, 660,000 so looks to be around retail (Rolex website shows 600k, but I am not sure if that includes tax).
Thanks. I've not tried Yodobashi or Don Quijote, never even thought about that. Quark is the grey market dealer that said they could put my name on a list, current market price is around 660,000 including tax from there, which is withing what I'd consider reasonable.

The 600k on Rolex website includes tax.
Old 13 August 2020, 07:27 PM   #20
Bruno Datejust
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
I find it quite curious when ADs ask you to 'pop in' from time to time, while not accepting your name on a waiting list. In that way they check out the persistence of your interest in the watch through time, that's true, but meanwhile they have also some more potential customers in their shop and have also somebody who might be convinced to change choice and to buy what they have in stock, simply making you try on what's available. Who knows.. Japan seems to be a terrible market for Rolex buyers anyway..
Old 13 August 2020, 07:30 PM   #21
jimcarver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks. I've not tried Yodobashi or Don Quijote, never even thought about that. Quark is the grey market dealer that said they could put my name on a list, current market price is around 660,000 including tax from there, which is withing what I'd consider reasonable.

The 600k on Rolex website includes tax.
Ok, that's not bad from Quark I have looked at a coupe of older pieces and the prices have been well above the odds. But 660k is probably as good as you can hope for.

I got my GMT 116710LN at Don Quijote for 850k in 2015 (hard to believe now) for reference it was about around 950k at Quark (I think that included some unnecessary extended warranty though).
jimcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 07:42 PM   #22
Mutsu
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Ok, that's not bad from Quark I have looked at a coupe of older pieces and the prices have been well above the odds. But 660k is probably as good as you can hope for.

I got my GMT 116710LN at Don Quijote for 850k in 2015 (hard to believe now) for reference it was about around 950k at Quark (I think that included some unnecessary extended warranty though).
Just checked the price again for Quark and it's more like 680k including tax, so this is borderline for me. The dealer from Quark also said that the price could change in the time the it becomes available for me to try on. I'd struggle to justify the additional cost if it's much more than that to be honest.

Can you remember which Don Quijote you bought from? I'll give it a try one of the next few days.

Yes I'm a bit confused about the Quark included warranty, as the dealer said the Rolex official warranty would still be valid.
Old 13 August 2020, 07:44 PM   #23
JonaG
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Did you have to go in person to make the payment with your in-laws?

I'm wondering how we might be able to do it if it has to be in person. Our grandpa is over 90 years old and with the current COVID situation I think it would be unwise to risk travelling to kansai and being around them.

I had heard rumors of there being new models released in September, potentially a new movement in the OP 39. But my main worry here is they change the dial design to something less favorable in my opinion.
We got the call that the piece was available and then I went alone and collected it and the gaisho met at the Rolex boutique.

Personally, I would probably go another route given, as you say, the COVID situation and distance to Kansai. As above, the Quark route might work for you.

Yodobashi and donki are unlikely to have the one you want. I am not sure how far from Tokyo you are but you'd think that now is probably the best chance you'll have with dramatically fewer tourists around.

Yeah, it's a real pain. Those of you in the US have no idea how lucky you got it with so many independent family run ADs where you can get lucky or simply strike up a great conversation!
Old 13 August 2020, 07:46 PM   #24
Mutsu
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno Datejust View Post
I find it quite curious when ADs ask you to 'pop in' from time to time, while not accepting your name on a waiting list. In that way they check out the persistence of your interest in the watch through time, that's true, but meanwhile they have also some more potential customers in their shop and have also somebody who might be convinced to change choice and to buy what they have in stock, simply making you try on what's available. Who knows.. Japan seems to be a terrible market for Rolex buyers anyway..
Yes I agree. I've had a couple of different responses for reasons why from the ADs too.

Regarding persistence of interest returning to the store, this would make sense however it's rare I get to communicate with the same sales person, it's only happened once so far. So right now I don't think I'm even being noticed for being persistent.
Old 13 August 2020, 08:44 PM   #25
Bruno Datejust
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Yes I agree. I've had a couple of different responses for reasons why from the ADs too.

Regarding persistence of interest returning to the store, this would make sense however it's rare I get to communicate with the same sales person, it's only happened once so far. So right now I don't think I'm even being noticed for being persistent.
It's quite an unhappy situation. I had a completely contrasting treatment at my local AD when I wanted to show my 'persistence'. The very kind saleswoman wasn't there the second time, instead the shop manager and it seemed to me that there was zero interest in wasting time talking about SS Rolex..
Old 13 August 2020, 09:13 PM   #26
Mutsu
"TRF" Member

Quote:
We got the call that the piece was available and then I went alone and collected it and the gaisho met at the Rolex boutique.

Personally, I would probably go another route given, as you say, the COVID situation and distance to Kansai. As above, the Quark route might work for you.

Yodobashi and donki are unlikely to have the one you want. I am not sure how far from Tokyo you are but you'd think that now is probably the best chance you'll have with dramatically fewer tourists around.

Yeah, it's a real pain. Those of you in the US have no idea how lucky you got it with so many independent family run ADs where you can get lucky or simply strike up a great conversation!
Thanks for the info. If I don't need her Grandpa there with me then it could be possible even with the COVID situation. The cost of a Shinkansen to Kyoto + the watch would likely be cheaper than from the grey market in Tokyo.

I'm central Tokyo near Ginza, I have about 7 dealers in walking distance of Ginza, Nihonbashi and Tokyo.
Old 13 August 2020, 09:23 PM   #27
pomelowatches
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Quark always seem to be priced a little too high for my liking. Agree, DQ a little better (usually).

Agree with earlier comments too: having to beg for an OP! Weird world!
pomelowatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 11:56 PM   #28
new_to_rolex
"TRF" Member

Having a similar experience in NY. Hoping that the September announcement sheds some light and possibly results in resumed shipments. Lack of AD incomings on OP39 here also seems to point to a general shortage of them at the moment
new_to_rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2020, 12:08 AM   #29
wrxdev
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Omega
Same situation here in the ATL area and adjoining southeast (AL, TN and SC). No OP39 at all. I am waiting to see if the Sept release may have a surprise.
wrxdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2020, 11:40 AM   #30
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
As others said perhaps a pre-loved piece is the way to go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is online now   Reply With Quote