The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 20 September 2020, 12:08 PM   #1
MiddleBrother
"TRF" Member

Advice needed - Gilt 1500

Hello everyone! This is my first post and I hope it proves to be interesting for you!

Recently I was lucky enough to receive a vintage Rolex from my mother and father in law as a gift. The watch used to belong to my wife's grandfather, who was a military pilot in their home country in Latin America.

From what I can tell, based on information I’ve learned here in the forums and the documents that are with the watch, this watch seems to be a late 60’s reference 1500 with a glossy gilt dial. Serial is in the 2.2mil range.

From what we can tell, it was bought in 1971 and was worn until about 1985, when it started to become to dangerous to wear a nice watch in their country, and the scratches became too ugly for my wife’s grandfather. Since then it has sat in the original Rolex box, in a drawer. I believe it is unpolished, service history unknown.

The watch is currently with my in-laws, and they’ll be bringing it with them when they are able to travel internationally again.

In the meantime I am looking for some advice on what I should have done on the watch... Keep in mind that my in-laws (and myself) would like to have it restored to the point that I could wear it daily, but is still “grandpa’s watch” if that makes sense.

- My father in law said that the watch began running as soon as he picked it up, but obviously I would be looking to get that serviced. I currently reside in Alberta Canada. Any recommendation for where to get a service? I do not want to send a vintage Rolex to a RSC, as I’d like the watch to remain as original as possible.

- Obviously, the crystal looks to be too far gone and I would look to have that replaced with another acrylic crystal.

- I see that the tritium lume unfortunately is not a custard colour, but dark green/black. So I assume that there will be some moisture damage. Would it be frowned up to keep the original hands and dial, but have them re-lumed to look “period correct? I think bright-white lume would look bad... what do you all think? I don’t really care if the lume glows or not, but the mouldy tritium is not great looking.

-Lastly, I do not want to ask a watchmaker to polish the watch and lose the original shape and lines of the case. But it does look rather rough. Not sure what to do here!

Anyhow, here are the photos! They are all I have, and were taken by my father in-law. So they are what they are LOL. Looking forward to hearing everyone’s input on how I should go about fixing this thing up!

Cheers
MiddleBrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 04:13 AM   #2
Nick9
"TRF" Member

Movement service and new crystal is all I would do if it were mine. I am not a fan of re-lume.

Lots of watchmakers can handle the work. One of the lads from Western Canada should be along with a recommendation soon enough. Might help to know what city you are in.

Nice watch, great family history, best of luck with it.
Nick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 05:52 AM   #3
offrdmania
2024 Pledge Member

As above, I would only do a movement service, replace the crystal and possibly have the bracelet rebuilt if you plan to wear it often. The bracelet looks pretty stretched. You can get everything done for around $1200 including the bracelet rebuild. I honestly would not have the case polished at all. All those scratches, dings and dents were put there by your grand dads love of the watch.

The dial doesnt look like it originally had lume, only the hands. I would not add it to the dial. You can change the hands, there are a lot available used. You may be able to find a pair on eBay with a nice lume color and then have them swapped out during service.
Old 22 September 2020, 09:03 AM   #4
MiddleBrother
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick9 View Post
Movement service and new crystal is all I would do if it were mine. I am not a fan of re-lume.

Lots of watchmakers can handle the work. One of the lads from Western Canada should be along with a recommendation soon enough. Might help to know what city you are in.

Nice watch, great family history, best of luck with it.
Right on thanks! Currently living in Southern Alberta, but I regularly do day trips to Calgary, and weekend trips to Edmonton so I could travel without too much trouble anywhere in the province for the right watchmaker.

Appreciate all the advice so far!
Old 22 September 2020, 09:07 AM   #5
MiddleBrother
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by offrdmania View Post
As above, I would only do a movement service, replace the crystal and possibly have the bracelet rebuilt if you plan to wear it often. The bracelet looks pretty stretched. You can get everything done for around $1200 including the bracelet rebuild. I honestly would not have the case polished at all. All those scratches, dings and dents were put there by your grand dads love of the watch.

The dial doesnt look like it originally had lume, only the hands. I would not add it to the dial. You can change the hands, there are a lot available used. You may be able to find a pair on eBay with a nice lume color and then have them swapped out during service.
Thanks for the input, it is greatly appreciated! The dial did have lume according to my father in-law, but the small tritium plots have turned a dark green/black so they are hard to see with the scratched crystal and fuzzy photos haha!

In the case that I pursue a new (to me) set of hands, where would a guy go about looking for those? Hopefully that’s okay to ask... I can edit the comment and remove this question if needed. Never sourced vintage watch parts before so I apologize for my lack of knowledge on that front!

Thanks again!
Old 22 September 2020, 09:12 AM   #6
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Movement service and new crystal is all I would do
Quote:
Originally Posted by offrdmania View Post
As above, I would only do a movement service, replace the crystal and possibly have the bracelet rebuilt if you plan to wear it often.
Concur. I'd also get the watchmaker to make sure it's waterproof, which might involve replacing the crown/stem and rubber gaskets. This routine maintenance will not affect value.

It's good that you're researching how to spruce it up without ruining its originality and character. Your great-grandfather would be proud.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 10:04 AM   #7
drockadam
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi.
What a great story, cheers from Ontario!

Can't wait to see it with a new crystal, serviced and on your wrist
Old 22 September 2020, 11:22 AM   #8
Nick9
"TRF" Member

I posted on Canadian Watch Collector, asking for watchmaker recommendations in Edmonton and Calgary. We'll see what turns up.

Greetings from Ottawa!
Old 22 September 2020, 12:31 PM   #9
MiddleBrother
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I posted on Canadian Watch Collector, asking for watchmaker recommendations in Edmonton and Calgary. We'll see what turns up.

Greetings from Ottawa!
Thank you so much! What a helpful community this is!

Old 22 September 2020, 01:19 PM   #10
rpdur
"TRF" Member

Nice Watch! I had Andre at Swiss Watch Clinic in Cow-town (aka Calgary) service my late fathers 16014 - I was happy with his work, he should be able to help you. Avoid Alberta Time Services (also in Calgary) I had them service an Omega 1120 and it needed servicing months later. Finally, I've never used them but have hear good things about City Time Watch & Clock Repair (Calgary).

I agree with what others have posted: new crystal, service movement, possible bracelet restoration, otherwise leave it be.
rpdur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 01:29 PM   #11
KatGirl
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
What a great gift from your in-laws. Hope to see pics after it has been restored. Welcome to the forum.

Kat
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 10:26 AM   #12
Nick9
"TRF" Member

Hi, MiddleBrother.

The lads on CWC offered three options, all with positives. Sandor Izsak in Edmonton, Bryn at JV Anderson in Calgary, and Otto Friedl in Vancouver.

Sandor Izsak had several guys weigh in with positive experiences.
Old 23 September 2020, 10:56 AM   #13
MiddleBrother
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hi, MiddleBrother.

The lads on CWC offered three options, all with positives. Sandor Izsak in Edmonton, Bryn at JV Anderson in Calgary, and Otto Friedl in Vancouver.

Sandor Izsak had several guys weigh in with positive experiences.
Great news! Thanks for posting over there!

Looks like I’ve got some options to check out once the watch gets here
Old 23 September 2020, 10:58 AM   #14
MiddleBrother
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpdur View Post
Nice Watch! I had Andre at Swiss Watch Clinic in Cow-town (aka Calgary) service my late fathers 16014 - I was happy with his work, he should be able to help you. Avoid Alberta Time Services (also in Calgary) I had them service an Omega 1120 and it needed servicing months later. Finally, I've never used them but have hear good things about City Time Watch & Clock Repair (Calgary).

I agree with what others have posted: new crystal, service movement, possible bracelet restoration, otherwise leave it be.
Thanks for the heads up! Yes, that’s the direction I am leaning towards after seeing several people echo that sentiment about the resto.

Cheers
Old 23 September 2020, 11:18 AM   #15
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleBrother View Post
Thanks for the heads up! Yes, that’s the direction I am leaning towards after seeing several people echo that sentiment about the resto.

Cheers
Yes, I would also suggest living with the current dial and hands for a while before jumping into a re-lume, which is irreversible. Most likely, you will come to appreciate its originality as time passes. But if not, you can always choose to have the dial and hands re-lumed at a later date.
Old 24 September 2020, 08:52 AM   #16
MiddleBrother
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
Yes, I would also suggest living with the current dial and hands for a while before jumping into a re-lume, which is irreversible. Most likely, you will come to appreciate its originality as time passes. But if not, you can always choose to have the dial and hands re-lumed at a later date.
Great point, I think that is what I will do then!

Cheers