The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 March 2020, 04:17 AM   #1
Kingpin99
"TRF" Member

Protecting watch from everyday use

Are there any tips you have for protecting a Rolex from everyday use? I didn't put much thought into this when I wore a watch with a SS band however I did take my watch off when I was working on my laptop which has a metal case. The large clasp didn't feel good with how my hands were possitioned and it would likely eat up my laptop pretty quickly.

I can wear my vintage day-date while working just fine but I put a soft cloth down to protect both the CPU and my watch. This watch feels less cumbersome and my plan is to wear this watch 24/7. It will get beat up but I am curious if you have any ideas on things I can do to delay this a bit. I recall seeing someone with plastic over the clasp which is what initially got me thinking.

Thanks,
John
Kingpin99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2020, 04:21 AM   #2
c41006
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pelagos
The best advice I can give you is to wear the watch like it was meant to be worn and don't worry about scratches. They are going to happen no matter what you do and they can be taken care of at service time if you choose.
c41006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2020, 04:23 AM   #3
Dr. Robert
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 1655
There’s that clear tape stuff people put on clasp, maybe a 3M product?
But like the Beatles sang....let it be.
Old 16 March 2020, 04:25 AM   #4
Simon_jrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: whichever I wear
Quote:
Originally Posted by c41006 View Post
The best advice I can give you is to wear the watch like it was meant to be worn and don't worry about scratches. They are going to happen no matter what you do and they can be taken care of at service time if you choose.
This

Submariner 114060/ Submariner 116613LB/ Daytona 116523/ Omega Seamaster/ Omega De Ville
Simon_jrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2020, 04:26 AM   #5
golfgrouch
Banned

You can try Styx film.
golfgrouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2020, 04:28 AM   #6
ferrissteve11
"TRF" Member

Just wear the watch...not to belittle the OP, but these are tools meant to be worn. You needn't baby the watch nor abuse it. Just wear it and enjoy it.
ferrissteve11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2020, 04:43 AM   #7
watchmework
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO, 116600

I don’t put any plastic on my watches...for the same reason I don’t put cases on my iPhone. I also don’t put plastic coverings on the interior of my cars...I like to wear and use things how they’ve been designed to be used and get the benefit out of owning it myself. Sure you can baby your Rolex but one of the reasons I picked the crown was I could wear it and not have to think about it all that much...I could wear it for work, to the driving range and out to wherever the day took me without having to think twice if my watch could handle it. If it gets scratched up and you want it to look new, no big deal Rolex will polish it at the next service and it’ll look like it did on day one. Wear and enjoy.
watchmework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2020, 04:46 AM   #8
Kingpin99
"TRF" Member

I plan to wear it daily and I know it will get beat up. Just curious if there of obvious things I should be doing. For example the gold band fighting my metal laptop case is definitely something I should avoid if it is going to be an everyday issue.

I am trying to prevent my band from looking like this https://www.ebay.com/itm/Authentic-W...cAAOSwvhtdn1TX

Suppose if it does in 10 years a new band may be an OK investment. Not sure if that band was abused horribly or if that was the result of normal everyday use.
Old 16 March 2020, 04:46 AM   #9
c41006
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pelagos
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmework View Post
I don’t put any plastic on my watches...for the same reason I don’t put cases on my iPhone. I realize the two are very different but I like to wear and use things how they’ve been designed to be used. Sure you can baby your Rolex but one of the reasons I picked the crown was I could wear it and not have to think about it all that much...I could wear it for work, to the driving range and out to wherever the day took me without having to think twice if my watch could handle it. If it gets scratched up and you want it to look new, no big deal Rolex will polish it at the next service and it’ll look like it did on day one. Wear and enjoy.
No case on your phone? You like to live dangerously! If I didnt have a case on my phone, I wouldn't have a phone for very long. Well I guess i'd have one but it certainly wouldn't be working.
c41006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2020, 04:48 AM   #10
jvb.nc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 228206meteorite
and another one.

if you’re afraid to wear it, just sell it man. no offense intended, at all; but why buy a watch if you don’t want to use it? i just don’t understand this mentality.
Old 16 March 2020, 04:52 AM   #11
Cesium137
Banned

Metal case laptops, the achilles heel of watches
Cesium137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2020, 04:59 AM   #12
dwjez14
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: All of them
If it’s mainly when on your computer just buy one of those watch stand holders that hold your watch and phone. Can be bought cheap on amazon. I get it. I often taken my watches off when I am planning on working on my computer for a very long period of time. I’m not afraid of getting some scratches on my watches but while on the computer it’s also more comfortable for me to take if off. Yesterday I was at Home Depot and helped an old lady load a bunch of mulch in her car. I did take my dd40 off because last time I helped someone at depot it was 44 bags. I looked at my sub and it was all scratched to he—
dwjez14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2020, 05:00 AM   #13
watchmework
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c41006 View Post
No case on your phone? You like to live dangerously! If I didnt have a case on my phone, I wouldn't have a phone for very long. Well I guess i'd have one but it certainly wouldn't be working.

crazy, I know right Joshua! Like my watches I just insure the device with AppleCare and rock it caseless...it’s a beautiful thing to handle the way Apple designed it but I totally get your point, and my wife would agree with you!
Old 16 March 2020, 05:10 AM   #14
chloebear
Banned

Watch: Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmework View Post
I don’t put any plastic on my watches...for the same reason I don’t put cases on my iPhone. I also don’t put plastic coverings on the interior of my cars...I like to wear and use things how they’ve been designed to be used and get the benefit out of owning it myself. Sure you can baby your Rolex but one of the reasons I picked the crown was I could wear it and not have to think about it all that much...I could wear it for work, to the driving range and out to wherever the day took me without having to think twice if my watch could handle it. If it gets scratched up and you want it to look new, no big deal Rolex will polish it at the next service and it’ll look like it did on day one. Wear and enjoy.
Well said fellow Pepsi brother. I cannot stand seat covers. My father in law has them in his truck and they are always in the way or shifting. Just sit on the leather, wear the watch. Also, I don't have a cover on my iPhone and people are aghast about it.
chloebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2020, 05:12 AM   #15
bp1000
"TRF" Member

Best advice I can give is try to decide not to worry

Over the years I actually got worse, trying to protect my watches more. Not sure why

Today I went in the safe and I picked up a couple of old subs I wore the hell out of a few years back. A green ceramic sub and a blue ceramic sub. I haven’t worn each of them for a while but I was checking them both out today. They are both VERY well worn. The PCLs on the blue sub are scratched pretty badly when you really look.

It just reminded me how I never use to really care. They’d go everywhere with me, beach, sand, sea, adventures and all.

I suppose my wearing more yellow and pink gold dress watches recently has made me more cautious. But really, I have very fond memories of the subs mentioned.

Best to just relax and let it be.
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2020, 05:20 AM   #16
watchmework
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloebear View Post
Well said fellow Pepsi brother. I cannot stand seat covers. My father in law has them in his truck and they are always in the way or shifting. Just sit on the leather, wear the watch. Also, I don't have a cover on my iPhone and people are aghast about it.

Mike, I just got the visual of trying to shift a car with all the plastic getting in the way...what a total pain!
Old 16 March 2020, 05:25 AM   #17
Phooi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingpin99 View Post
Are there any tips you have for protecting a Rolex from everyday use? I didn't put much thought into this when I wore a watch with a SS band however I did take my watch off when I was working on my laptop which has a metal case. The large clasp didn't feel good with how my hands were possitioned and it would likely eat up my laptop pretty quickly.

I can wear my vintage day-date while working just fine but I put a soft cloth down to protect both the CPU and my watch. This watch feels less cumbersome and my plan is to wear this watch 24/7. It will get beat up but I am curious if you have any ideas on things I can do to delay this a bit. I recall seeing someone with plastic over the clasp which is what initially got me thinking.

Thanks,
John
I don’t use any kind of protection on my watch but I understand the watch on the laptop. I have a MacBook Pro and the sound of watch on case is like nails on chalkboard. I just take it off and keep it on the table if I’m doing extensive desk work. For everything else, just use common sense. Rolexes are designed to be durable but it’s up to you how to use it.
Phooi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2020, 05:28 AM   #18
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

If you want to protect a watch from everyday use, the easiest solution is not to wear it.

If you don't go charging through life like a bull it will age gracefully. If you are unlucky or perpetually clumsy it will pick up dings. If it picks up big ones it can be repaired. Just like a car.

Nothing to worry about. The first ding (that you actually notice) is the worst. Hopefully it will be a tiny one and you won't mind so much after that, within reason.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2020, 05:35 AM   #19
nda
"TRF" Member

I've always thought the vast majority of Rolexes are sports watches - robust enough to set the time and then never take off....? If it was an Jacob & Co Astronomia, I could understand. :)
nda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2020, 05:36 AM   #20
illiguy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Wrist presence.
illiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2020, 05:44 AM   #21
Neo_Anderson302
"TRF" Member

Your watch will have as many scuffs as your hands have.
Neo_Anderson302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2020, 05:57 AM   #22
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Get an omega seamaster for $4K and set yourself free.
Old 16 March 2020, 07:06 AM   #23
AJV_36
Banned

Watch: Submariner w/date
I always laugh at everyone committing on these topics. Like you’re sooooo bad for not wanting to beat the heck out of your watch. I have had my sub less than a year it’s my first and only Rolex not sure I’ll ever be in the multiple Rolex club but hope to be one day so I get not wanting to destroy your watch. I was pretty worried about it at first. Then as others stated I scratched the clasp here and there and even my bracelet. A dang shopping cart nick my lugs etc. so long story short the correct answer is try to be as careful as you can but no matter what you do if you wear it nicks and scratches will happen. And not sure you’ll be able to prevent bracelet stretch either think that just happens with time. So now I’m mindful of my watch and not careless but also not worried every second I wear it. And I’m even falling into the camp that says it adds character to the watch. My watch travels with me all over the states and some international stuff as well and simple places like to the store and out for a beer it’s my everyday, every place watch and I love every second that I’m wearing it scratches and all!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AJV_36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2020, 07:53 AM   #24
jvb.nc
"TRF" Member

*eyeroll*

since when did wearing your watch equal “destroying” it?

get real.
Old 16 March 2020, 07:54 AM   #25
Kingpin99
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJV_36 View Post
I always laugh at everyone committing on these topics. Like you’re sooooo bad for not wanting to beat the heck out of your watch. I have had my sub less than a year it’s my first and only Rolex not sure I’ll ever be in the multiple Rolex club but hope to be one day so I get not wanting to destroy your watch. I was pretty worried about it at first. Then as others stated I scratched the clasp here and there and even my bracelet. A dang shopping cart nick my lugs etc. so long story short the correct answer is try to be as careful as you can but no matter what you do if you wear it nicks and scratches will happen. And not sure you’ll be able to prevent bracelet stretch either think that just happens with time. So now I’m mindful of my watch and not careless but also not worried every second I wear it. And I’m even falling into the camp that says it adds character to the watch. My watch travels with me all over the states and some international stuff as well and simple places like to the store and out for a beer it’s my everyday, every place watch and I love every second that I’m wearing it scratches and all!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I joined this site knowing that my pocket book was going to be quite a bit smaller than most of the members here and I confirmed it quickly :)

I am not "worried" about scratching and dinging my watch up, I just want to make sure I am not stupidly causing any extra wear on it. If I was worried (and had excess money) I would be the person who has many watches sitting in a safe that I am not wearing because they are too nice. Hmmm..... That could be some of you above

My stainless band shows a good amount of wear, I imagine the gold band will wear a lot quicker.
Old 16 March 2020, 08:03 AM   #26
jvb.nc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I joined this site knowing that my pocket book was going to be quite a bit smaller than most of the members here and I confirmed it quickly :)

I am not "worried" about scratching and dinging my watch up, I just want to make sure I am not stupidly causing any extra wear on it. If I was worried (and had excess money) I would be the person who has many watches sitting in a safe that I am not wearing because they are too nice. Hmmm..... That could be some of you above

My stainless band shows a good amount of wear, I imagine the gold band will wear a lot quicker.
my current daily is a platinum day-date.

too nice, you say?

do you plan on having botox injected into your face when you start to age? will you dye your hair when it goes grey?

wear your watch, dude. all will be well.

Old 16 March 2020, 08:12 AM   #27
SpicyMikey
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyDweller 326933
Like many people said buddy, trying to protect a watch from scratches is really a futile effort. Just wear your watch and enjoy it.

BUT..... I appreciate your desire to keep your watch looking respectable. We do with many things. We wash and detail our cars and fix scratches, etc. At least I do. So, my recommendation is to just buy this kit called Cape Cod Metal Polishing. It comes with a bunch a pretreated polishing pads and a dry polishing cloth. Use this to hand rub your micro scratches out of both stainless steel and gold. Don't use any power tools unless you are very experienced in using them. You can really ruin your watch. But this is very safe and extremely effective. I have kept all of my watches virtually brand new looking and some of them are over 20 years old. You have to be very careful if any watches you have are gold plated. But that would not be an issue with something like your rolex. When you send your mechanical watch in for servicing every 5 to 10 years they will professionally Polish it as well to get some of the deeper scratches out. And that's it.

Mike
SpicyMikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2020, 08:13 AM   #28
Kingpin99
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvb.nc View Post
my current daily is a platinum day-date.

too nice, you say?

do you plan on having botox injected into your face when you start to age? will you dye your hair when it goes grey?

wear your watch, dude. all will be well.

Hoping to work our finances up to the point of having more options :) Just a CPA with a RE hustle, need to work on cashing more checks!

I am only in my mid 30s so botox and dye are not on my radar but they are not expected to be at play!
Old 16 March 2020, 08:15 AM   #29
Kingpin99
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpicyMikey View Post
Like many people is said buddy, trying to particular watch from scratches is really a futile effort. Just wear your watch and enjoy it.

However I appreciate your desire to keep your watch looking respectable. We do with many thanks. We wash and detail our cars and fix scratches. At least I do. So, my recommendation is to just buy this kit called Cape Cod Metal Polishing. It comes with a bunch a pretreated polishing pads and a dry polishing cloth. Use this to hand rub your micro scratches out of both stainless steel and gold. Don't use any power tools unless you are very experienced in using them. You can really ruin your watch. But this is very safe and extremely effective. I have kept all of my watches virtually brand new looking and some of them are over 20 years old. You have to be very careful if any watches you have are gold plated. But that would not be an issue with something like your rolex. When you send your mechanical watch in for servicing every 5 to 10 years they will professionally Polish it as well to get some of the deeper scratches out. And that's it.

Mike
Thanks, I will look into that.
Old 16 March 2020, 08:20 AM   #30
jvb.nc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hoping to work our finances up to the point of having more options :) Just a CPA with a RE hustle, need to work on cashing more checks!

I am only in my mid 30s so botox and dye are not on my radar but they are not expected to be at play!
i just turned 40, and i’m having a lot of grey in my hair. but luckily the lady likes it!