The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 22 September 2018, 08:54 AM   #1
AVphile
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18K Cartier Pasha
Rolex and the Apple 4

I own a number of quality watches; my favorite among them is my Everose/SS Datejust 41 for the many reasons others and I on this Forum have previously -- and repeatedly -- stated.

The newly-announced Apple 4 watch offers a number of health-related functions (EKG, falling monitor, etc.) which, frankly, I find quite appealing -- especially since I am in my 70s and currently take several medicines for maintaining my cardiovascular system in fully-functioning condition. And so, I tried out on my wife and son the idea of wearing my various mechanical watches on my left wrist and keeping the Apple 4 as a permanent daily fixture on my right wrist. Each of them articulated a strong veto of my proposal, essentially because both felt it would make me look like a "dork".

Consequently, I find myself wrestling with a dilemma -- style (Rolex, etc.) over substance (health monitoring, mainly).

The thoughts of other mechanical watch lovers are welcome!
AVphile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2018, 09:16 AM   #2
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
I bought the first version and sold it a month later.
I ended up buying the third version due to having some gift cards that got it for me for free.
I seldom use it. While yes, great health benefits, as I approach 60, I want to enjoy what I worked hard for and have always admired, fine watches.
I just can’t find the time, other than maybe when I work out, to take any wrist time away from a Breitling or a Rolex, over an Apple Watch.
That said, we are all different. To each their own.
123Blueface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2018, 09:18 AM   #3
Oceanlover914
"TRF" Member

Watch: None at the moment
I have wrestled with this bought as well. I love My Rolex and want it as my one and only. However, like you the health benefits of the Apple 4 are awesome. Plus it makes and takes calls, the Rolex doesn’t. So it is practical. Everyone I have asked has also said”no don’t do it”. But I see nothing wrong with wearing a fitness watch on steroids on my right arm and Rolex in the left. There was a similar thread to this a few days ago and most men said yes, it’s ok, it’s the future and I agree. One is a piece of jewelry and the other is a heath necessity.
Old 22 September 2018, 09:21 AM   #4
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

I used the third version twice then it’s sitting in some drawer collecting dust!
Old 22 September 2018, 09:29 AM   #5
jlovda
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513,1675,216570
If I recall, a few years ago Tag Heuer came out with an "Apple-like" watch that could be changed back to a "normal" watch by putting a mechanical movement in. The idea seems to have fallen into a black hole.
jlovda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2018, 09:37 AM   #6
05carbondrz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlovda View Post
If I recall, a few years ago Tag Heuer came out with an "Apple-like" watch that could be changed back to a "normal" watch by putting a mechanical movement in. The idea seems to have fallen into a black hole.
There have been a few attempts to combine a Smart Watch with a traditional Mechanical Watch....All have been utter failures.
05carbondrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2018, 09:23 AM   #7
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

This “health” excuse is rubbish. If you are truly sick and require constant monitoring then you would be given a profesional medical monitoring device. Even Apple has a disclosure in the manual that it is not a medical device. Apple brainwash 101 to make you feel good about wearing their gadget.
Old 22 September 2018, 09:55 AM   #8
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
This “health” excuse is rubbish. If you are truly sick and require constant monitoring then you would be given a profesional medical monitoring device. Even Apple has a disclosure in the manual that it is not a medical device. Apple brainwash 101 to make you feel good about wearing their gadget.
Maybe with the first version, but Apple got FDA approval for both the ECG and detecting irregular heartbeats in the newest version. Plus, the new "fall detection" is fantastic for older wearers.

Frankly, I'm shocked this thing has an ECG already, and it shows where the future lies for these things. I'm only 41, so I'm not super concerned yet, but I don't think I'll be much older when I'll consider something like this as mandatory, especially considering they'll keep improving and adding health features. I'm thinking about buying them for both of my 70+ year old parents.

When I do wear one full time some day, there's no way I'm double wristing. Mechanical watches are fun, but there's no reason to have a redundancy with a less accurate curiosity. That's like towing around a Porsche 911 with your Tesla.
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2018, 05:42 PM   #9
ma2045
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4K, PO 2500
Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
Maybe with the first version, but Apple got FDA approval for both the ECG and detecting irregular heartbeats in the newest version. Plus, the new "fall detection" is fantastic for older wearers.

Frankly, I'm shocked this thing has an ECG already, and it shows where the future lies for these things. I'm only 41, so I'm not super concerned yet, but I don't think I'll be much older when I'll consider something like this as mandatory, especially considering they'll keep improving and adding health features. I'm thinking about buying them for both of my 70+ year old parents.

When I do wear one full time some day, there's no way I'm double wristing. Mechanical watches are fun, but there's no reason to have a redundancy with a less accurate curiosity. That's like towing around a Porsche 911 with your Tesla.

Surely you mean the 993?

But then again...
ma2045 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2018, 07:17 PM   #10
Eric-London
"TRF" Member

I wear my Apple watch most weekdays. Had every iteration since AW1. Now ordered the 44mm series 4 in stainless steel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
That's like towing around a Porsche 911 with your Tesla.
I think the towing situation will most likely be the other way around
Eric-London is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2018, 12:04 PM   #11
blackhawks-fan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Black Dial 216570
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystro View Post
this “health” excuse is rubbish. If you are truly sick and require constant monitoring then you would be given a profesional medical monitoring device. Even apple has a disclosure in the manual that it is not a medical device. Apple brainwash 101 to make you feel good about wearing their gadget.
+1
blackhawks-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2018, 01:48 AM   #12
eltonbalch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hey Mystro—you’re a cool guy and I appreciate where you are coming from but I really disagree with the spin you’ve put on this one. The monitoring functions are important motivators to give a “heads up” on where your own personal health might be trending. I bought an Apple Watch 3 last year and wore it for three months as my one and only. By closing the rings every day for almost two straight months, I lost 20 pounds, lowered my resting heart rate to the low 60’s, reduced my moderately elevated blood pressure and never felt better. Once I established a pattern, I didn’t need to wear it every day. I’ve used it on rare occasions since then to incentivize myself to do better. For reference, I’m heading for 74 and dreading the time when I might actually wear or use a “professional” medical monitoring device. Hopefully, the Apple Watch has helped me put that off! I’m wearing my new Apple Watch 4 today as I’m headed out for a walk and will switch back to my own Hulk later today.

Now, about those healthy cigars I see in your pictures...
eltonbalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2018, 02:02 AM   #13
tom2517
"TRF" Member

Quote:
No different than Patek or Rolex brainwashing you, when it comes to things we love, we all more or less drank the kool aid.
tom2517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2018, 01:52 AM   #14
R!$
Banned

Quote:
+2
R!$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2018, 11:23 PM   #15
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
Quote:
Exactly. Marketing 101
Old 22 September 2018, 09:25 AM   #16
101031-28
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665
Bought 2nd generation, wore it a week, sold it.

Ian Fleming
101031-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2018, 09:29 AM   #17
GTC
Banned

Watch: 126660
My Apple Watch versions 1, 2, and 3 replaced my Explorer II for a few years, then in July while I was in an AD I saw an 116660 Blue-D, and immediately ordered a 126660 Blue-D, been wearing it since August 4.

I can not imagine putting on another Apple Watch until there's a medical necessity and a constant display function. By then, I hope double wristing has achieved general acceptance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 063EF599-33F4-4861-91C7-98959285A3E0.jpeg (29.0 KB, 1217 views)
GTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2018, 09:45 AM   #18
Friar
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270 216570
You could include it in a rotation of your other fine watches and see if it finds a more permanent home on your wrist. Or wear during the week and your mechanicals on the weekend. Although I'm in my 70's as well and only occasionally going to church differentiates the weekend. :-) I think a new Apple watch may have tremendous toy value though. I still enjoy toys!!
Friar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2018, 09:51 AM   #19
Finally got one
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570 Black
I usually wear a watch on my left wrist and a fitbit on my right.

Wear both my friend, who cares what people think...

My two cents

Instagram: @RolexEnthusiast
Finally got one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2018, 09:58 AM   #20
Derkuhlmann
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finally got one View Post
I usually wear a watch on my left wrist and a fitbit on my right.

Wear both my friend, who care what people think...

My two cents
I agree.
Derkuhlmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2018, 10:10 AM   #21
sgarrity
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
One watch at a time for me. I wear my Apple Watch at the gym and around the house. I’m lucky that I work from home. So my Apple Watch alerts me when someone is at the front door with a delivery, rings when my phone isn’t near, and tracks my fitness goals. I wear my Rolex and Breitlings when I’m out and about....shopping, dinner, drinks and a night out. And on occasion I’ll wear one around the house. Hard to ignore the benefits and functionality of today’s smart watches....
sgarrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2018, 11:00 AM   #22
llvhhui
"TRF" Member

I’m likely getting one soon. I like how convenient it is to sync all my apple devices. And given the fact that I’m in the military, it’s impractical to wear a sub or something.
llvhhui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2018, 11:49 AM   #23
CashGap
"TRF" Member

If you are in your 70s and care what people think... well...

My automatics will share time on my left wrist, and I hope to add two more to the rotation in the next year.

My Stainless Steel/Milanese Loop Series 4 Apple Watch will be on my right wrist until the day the next one ships.
CashGap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2018, 12:16 PM   #24
Kidcool
"TRF" Member

I have a Daytona C, Batman, another GMT, and a DeepSea - and I just ordered the Apple 4 while I have two more Apple Watches already. It is ok to have Rolexes and Apple Watches.

Now, in my humble opinion, the Tag Heuer Connected, which I have had also, is not that great.
Kidcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2018, 12:17 PM   #25
mustangtornado
"TRF" Member

i’d like to see apple offer a fitbit-like product with a curved display. That way you could have the notifications and health benefits without committing to a watch. I can justify mechanical watch + apple “wrist band”, but not double watches. So for now, i wear the apple watch 1.5 hours a day, while working out...and no more than that.
mustangtornado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2018, 12:24 PM   #26
JCZ5
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
I never considered an Apple Watch until the released the series 4. I plan to pick mine up next weekend and will wear it when I exercise or do outdoor activities.

You have to think of it not as a watch, but a tool e.g fitness tracking and alerts. I hope to use it quite often

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JCZ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2018, 12:25 PM   #27
Kidcool
"TRF" Member

Just do like Buzz Aldrin!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg E564ED35-71C1-423E-A8B6-EC70D4630B8E.jpeg (106.3 KB, 999 views)
Kidcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2018, 12:56 PM   #28
CalSRQ1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidcool View Post
There may be no greater example of not giving one ....thing...about what someone else thinks.

We talk about tool watches a lot on this forum, and frankly lament the passing of Rolex as a true “tool watch” . The Apple Watch is a useful tool. If you like both - wear both.
CalSRQ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2018, 01:11 PM   #29
CLG23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
exactly.... two wrists for a reason
CLG23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2018, 08:33 AM   #30
cornerstore
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If you look closely Buz has two mechanical watch heads on his right wrist. So is three too many?
cornerstore is offline   Reply With Quote