The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 October 2019, 12:10 PM   #1
pachanga
"TRF" Member

Warranty Cards

Apologies in advance if this is a stupid question. I read a lot on this forum about ADs selling watches directly to grey market dealers who are willing to pay the AD a premium or buy multiple watches. In these cases, who’s name does the AD put on the warranty card?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pachanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2019, 12:45 PM   #2
2024 Pledge Member

Probably some guy named David.

037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2019, 01:09 PM   #3
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Sometimes it here isn’t a name even on the card.
Mystro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2019, 01:18 PM   #4
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

I bought grey not too long ago and was told that they could source the watch from an AD for me, but could not put my name on the card because the AD likes to put whatever name they choose to not get caught by Rolex.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2019, 02:13 PM   #5
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
I bought all mine grey without any name. It’s a must for me
Old 15 October 2019, 02:25 PM   #6
csj
"TRF" Member

They can put Pocahontas as the name on the card. It really doesn’t matter one bit as long as the card hasn’t been altered or name removed in any way.
csj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2019, 04:36 PM   #7
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

Doesn't matter who's name is on the card. They can even put XXXX for name, but it cannot be left blank or else warranty is void.

https://www.rolex.com/services/faq.html
SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2019, 04:43 PM   #8
bondtoys
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750
Quote:
Originally Posted by csj View Post
They can put Pocahontas as the name on the card. It really doesn’t matter one bit as long as the card hasn’t been altered or name removed in any way.
I‘d be careful with this kind of advise.
While technically you may be correct, if you show such a nonsense to the wrong person, the claim may be denied.
And then good luck sueying Rolex just because you are „right“

I‘d make sure that the warranty card has a proper name on it when buying grey - preferrably my own.

Same with XXXXX as a name.
bondtoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2019, 10:35 PM   #9
pachanga
"TRF" Member

Interesting. Thanks everyone for the answers.

pachanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2019, 12:17 AM   #10
bobby81
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJRJRJ View Post
I bought grey not too long ago and was told that they could source the watch from an AD for me, but could not put my name on the card because the AD likes to put whatever name they choose to not get caught by Rolex.

I have also purchased a Rolex Daytona from a Grey Dealer, it wasn’t an in stock Watch so had to be sourced from a Rolex Ad. I received a message from the Grey Dealer asking me what name I wanted on the warranty card, I gave them my name of course.After about three weeks I received another message to say they now had the Watch & it was ready for collection. Right enough the warranty card had the AD’s name stamped, with the original date of purchase which was three weeks prior to me collecting it I collected it & it also had my name on the warranty card
bobby81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2019, 12:22 AM   #11
ltmgeller
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
The only thing that matters is that it was properly registered with Rolex by the AD at the time of sale. If it wasn't the warranty will be void.
Old 16 October 2019, 02:25 AM   #12
Rado63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116334
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltmgeller View Post
The only thing that matters is that it was properly registered with Rolex by the AD at the time of sale. If it wasn't the warranty will be void.
The warranty starts when the AD enters the serial number into the warranty system. I don't know how the grey dealer activates the warranty card since they are not an AD. It is possible that the gray is just brokering the deal for a fee and a real AD is completing the warranty information, but technically an AD can't sell through a gray, and can't sell online and it is supposed to be in store sale. Seems we hear about deviation from this all the time, so I don't know the real answer.
Old 16 October 2019, 02:32 AM   #13
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Oyster View Post
Doesn't matter who's name is on the card. They can even put XXXX for name, but it cannot be left blank or else warranty is void.

https://www.rolex.com/services/faq.html
This says the warranty card must be completed "in full" whatever that means. I would think it means with the actual name of the purchaser. But its open to interpretation as the terms are not defined clearly.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2019, 02:35 AM   #14
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rado63 View Post
The warranty starts when the AD enters the serial number into the warranty system. I don't know how the grey dealer activates the warranty card since they are not an AD. It is possible that the gray is just brokering the deal for a fee and a real AD is completing the warranty information, but technically an AD can't sell through a gray, and can't sell online and it is supposed to be in store sale. Seems we hear about deviation from this all the time, so I don't know the real answer.
The cards are most likely validated when the watches leave the AD to the re-sellers. Who's name goes on the cards is anybody's guest.

Alternately, the cards are held back and validated and filled in when the re-seller sells the watch with the name of the ultimate purchaser.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2019, 03:37 AM   #15
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Charlie sheen
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2019, 03:48 AM   #16
Biginboca
"TRF" Member

I just sent my 2 month old Pelagos to be regulated under warranty. The warranty card had the AD stamp on it but not my name, and I never wrote my name on it so the name field was blank. Rolex Service Center Dallas regulated the watch under warranty and returned the watch and warranty card to me which is still blank in the name field.

I suspect since the warranty transfers with the watch the AD stamp means a lot more than whatever customer name (if any) is on the card.
Biginboca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2019, 04:06 AM   #17
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I received two watches from the same gray dealer. The first had the warranty card complete with my name the other has someone else’s.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2019, 04:28 AM   #18
bobby81
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I received two watches from the same gray dealer. The first had the warranty card complete with my name the other has someone else’s.

I had a similar experience, I have purchased three Rolex Watches from the same Grey Dealer in the north of England in the last four years. All three Watches were the latest models, all were brand new with there protective stickers still intact. The first two Watches, a Sub & a Daytona were in stock Watches, these had other people’s names on the warranty cards, the third, another Daytona had to be sourced as it was not an in stock Watch. This one came with my name on the warranty card. I took all three over to the only Rolex AD in my city, there is no RSC in my country & after running a check on all three Watches they said they were happy to honour any one of the warranties should anything go wrong in the five year time span of the warranties

bobby81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2019, 04:56 AM   #19
djgallo
Banned

For whatever reason; If the warranty card wasn’t recorded or swiped by an AD I still think the watch can be serviced under warranty if it is not stolen. The warranty period will probably start around the date the watch was manufactured if there is no record of the date the watch was originally sold. The final call would be from RSC.
djgallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2019, 05:16 AM   #20
JoseR
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air King, Omega AT
I got my watch from a grey and the card had my name on it...
JoseR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2019, 06:34 AM   #21
RobsterCraw
Banned

I also purchased my SD43 from a well known gray on the site....who's awesome btw. The warranty card has my name on it. Presumably it was left blank when sold to the gray dealer and he filled in my name when I purchased it.
RobsterCraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2019, 12:28 PM   #22
csj
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobsterCraw View Post
I also purchased my SD43 from a well known gray on the site....who's awesome btw. The warranty card has my name on it. Presumably it was left blank when sold to the gray dealer and he filled in my name when I purchased it.
This is exactly what happens. Again, back to my point... you can put Pocahontas if you really want and it wouldn't matter one bit. When a warranty card is "activated/registered" in Rolex's system, no name is ever given to Rolex. They have no clue who the purchaser is nor do they care. They only know which one of their ADs sold the watch and when.
csj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2019, 04:24 PM   #23
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby81 View Post
I have also purchased a Rolex Daytona from a Grey Dealer, it wasn’t an in stock Watch so had to be sourced from a Rolex Ad. I received a message from the Grey Dealer asking me what name I wanted on the warranty card, I gave them my name of course.After about three weeks I received another message to say they now had the Watch & it was ready for collection. Right enough the warranty card had the AD’s name stamped, with the original date of purchase which was three weeks prior to me collecting it I collected it & it also had my name on the warranty card

Funny as my grey is local and had it overnighted to him from across the country with the warranty dated the day before, but he said they wouldn't budge on the name. I don't know if it's a made up name or what but IDGAF. Got what I wanted was cheaper than I was able to get myself.

Nice watch btw
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2019, 07:05 AM   #24
Mojo2020
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csj View Post
This is exactly what happens. Again, back to my point... you can put Pocahontas if you really want and it wouldn't matter one bit. When a warranty card is "activated/registered" in Rolex's system, no name is ever given to Rolex. They have no clue who the purchaser is nor do they care. They only know which one of their ADs sold the watch and when.
Can you call RSC to see if your watch serial number is in the warranty system?
Mojo2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2019, 07:20 AM   #25
othertbone
Banned

Watch: Rolex/AP/Vin Omega
Hugh Janus
othertbone is offline   Reply With Quote