The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 October 2019, 11:56 PM   #91
KFP55
"TRF" Member

Thanks all for the thoughts. The intention of this post was more to highlight that this dynamic WILL change, and probably faster than most AD's will realize. I am more contemplating the long term damage to these ADs for treating VERY desirable customers so dismissively. I am sure the current status is "annoying" to them, but they are more profitable than ever - when things finally turn, aren't they going to really regret the way they've handled things?
Old 23 October 2019, 12:00 AM   #92
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

To all of you who are baking cookies and taking them into your AD every week hoping upon hope they'll sell you something need to understand that people love cookies, and if they acquiesce and agree to sell you something, they know you won't be coming back with any cookies for a long while.

So they are just going to keep stringing you along, and eating your cookies every week, and telling you "we'll call ya".

Your AD is not your friend, you're just his sugar daddy.
Blansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2019, 01:15 AM   #93
Kliminator
2024 Pledge Member

I was dropping by on a trip to Europe earlier this summer but after awhile stopped. Not necessarily searching for anything but just to browse.

No point in dropping in knowing there's nothing really to look at.

If others have the same mentality... Maybe those of you who are still dropping in will get lucky?

Who knows haha
Kliminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2019, 03:09 AM   #94
calh22a
Banned

I like dropping by my AD once a month. I’ve come to know the SAs during my time there and even though they have nothing in the display, they will occasionally take something out of the safe to show me. Out of respect, i don’t try it on as it’s usually allocated to another customer already. Its nice catching up and chatting about random things.
calh22a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2019, 03:12 AM   #95
djgallo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFP55 View Post
Thanks all for the thoughts. The intention of this post was more to highlight that this dynamic WILL change, and probably faster than most AD's will realize. I am more contemplating the long term damage to these ADs for treating VERY desirable customers so dismissively. I am sure the current status is "annoying" to them, but they are more profitable than ever - when things finally turn, aren't they going to really regret the way they've handled things?
Don’t think so....people have short memories.....
djgallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2019, 03:42 AM   #96
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by djgallo View Post
Don’t think so....people have short memories.....
Indeed..........if prices go down again and watches become available as many hope, people will simply buy them and the "bad dream" will have been forgotten.
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2019, 03:55 AM   #97
s_haverford
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO,OP-36 White
Quote:
Originally Posted by calh22a View Post
I like dropping by my AD once a month. I’ve come to know the SAs during my time there and even though they have nothing in the display, they will occasionally take something out of the safe to show me. Out of respect, i don’t try it on as it’s usually allocated to another customer already. Its nice catching up and chatting about random things.
I second this. While I do not go in once a month, I do drop by on random occasions. I think I got lucky but my SA makes the boutique a welcoming place and we usually end up talking about our lives over watches.

While I do not have any purchase history and they are aware of the piece(s) that I desire, its nice to go in and talk to like minded individuals and build a relationship.
s_haverford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2019, 04:01 AM   #98
faaaaaaaasterrrrr
"TRF" Member

Watch: Another One?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
To all of you who are baking cookies and taking them into your AD every week hoping upon hope they'll sell you something need to understand that people love cookies, and if they acquiesce and agree to sell you something, they know you won't be coming back with any cookies for a long while.

So they are just going to keep stringing you along, and eating your cookies every week, and telling you "we'll call ya".

Your AD is not your friend, you're just his sugar daddy.
faaaaaaaasterrrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2019, 04:46 AM   #99
cbalster
"TRF" Member

My AD will sell me a watch the increases $5k in value the moment I walk out the door only if I lose $20k on previous purchases first.

To obtain any Rolex at MSRP quickly follow these steps:

1) buy $100k BNIB watch worth $50k used at AD (recommended ALS Datograph as example)
2) be amazed how quickly you get your Daytona C White Dial at MSRP
cbalster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2019, 05:48 AM   #100
R G
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxfordian View Post
Bored with all these whinging threads, its like listening to a record that has but one groove. The situation isn't going to change, if you can't buy a Rolex you want buy something else as there are plenty of great watches out there waiting to find a home on your wrists.

Rolex make great watches, exceedingly popular watches, the demand is greater than the supply of certain watches but there is plenty of other stuff out there, I picked my Rolex out of the shop window, just what I wanted, no pressure, no sales ploy just me walking up and seeing what I wanted in the window, trying it on and then buying it.

Life is too short to worry about things I can't control so why get upset by it, just move on and enjoy life.
No offence, but aren’t you supposed to be ‘learning by the day’?

As you’re relatively new to this game, I wouldn’t knock other forum members and call them out as whinging.

Enthusiasts are irritated with the current climate. This is a forum. It’s going to get discussed and opinions regardless of repetitiveness, will be given.
R G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2019, 02:01 PM   #101
Goonthree
"TRF" Member

Agree as they want to maximize their profit. I actually bring friends to ad as most dont believe the bad treatment they get and how hard to get a sports watch.

I assume ad cant sell thru mail as you physically have to be there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbalster View Post
My AD will sell me a watch the increases $5k in value the moment I walk out the door only if I lose $20k on previous purchases first.

To obtain any Rolex at MSRP quickly follow these steps:

1) buy $100k BNIB watch worth $50k used at AD (recommended ALS Datograph as example)
2) be amazed how quickly you get your Daytona C White Dial at MSRP
Goonthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2019, 02:13 PM   #102
minhc88
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I don't think they will regret because the will surely be able to sell SS Models at mrsp still. Maybe won't be able to move as much DJ as they are now

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
minhc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2019, 09:42 PM   #103
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
No it wont change, this has been going on for far longer than many care to admit.

Probably 7 years ago I was in a local AD browsing and I had a salesman look at me and go "psst, over here". He motions to the end of the counter and whispers to me "I've got a very special anniversary edition green submariner in the back if you would like to see it?"

I said no, he looked very puzzled and very hurt like I kicked his dog. I don't like green, I don't like faux hype and the entire thing felt sleazy and cheap like a back alley drug deal.

Dealers will always play games, always.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2019, 10:02 PM   #104
Evad3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060m/216570
I visited one at the weekend for the first time in a long time and it reminded me why I stopped bothering to even check the windows. All the usual suspects available and a "25 year wait list" on Pepsi & Daytonas. 25 year wait was a humorous little bonus
Old 23 October 2019, 10:36 PM   #105
WatchLurv
Banned

Watch: Swiss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robtayham View Post
To continue my analogy above, it’s very common for ticket holders to have to show proof of their ID to verify their name matches the name on the ticket. This keeps the ticket holder from reselling to a third party.

To be clear: I do not and will not ever support that practice. If I buy something, like a watch, it’s mine. I can, and should, be able to flip it. It’s not the AD’s job to ‘interview me’ in an effort to determine if I’ll flip it or not.

But, I’m not sure that’s your point / question??

My point above was simply saying that Rolex could control sales to the end client to result in a broader distribution of customers.

Rolex’s reputation is getting smeared (just read the threads on TRF). This is exactly the reason why venues implemented a ban on scalpers’ big block purchases of tickets. For Rolex, their reputation is more important than being to give an AD ‘a pat on the back’.
A ticket is a one time event. A watch is an item that can change hands, so the items are not comparable. A watch should be able to change hands...Otherwise the watch auctions should just be cut. Art auctions should be cut. Literally every auction should be cut, but as you noticed that wasn't my point

Rolex is a luxury brand. In 2015 the market was flooded with watches. Full displays. High discounts up towards 30%. Over the years the adjustments have been made. Retaining the luxury brand image that they set out to do.

If Rolex wanted to deal with end-customers, they would have already. They're keeping the ADs to create a vacuum between them and an angry-end-user on TRF. They are also keeping the ADs in check by telling them to produce sales for them, yet, they are not allowed to sell to Greys, however, they will look the other way as long as it doesn't pop up somewhere that will tarnish their reputation. Rolex has always relied on grays to distribute their crappy watches. Who in their right mind has ever purchased a fully iced out pearlmaster? Those have always come in bundled deals (or at cost for the AD)...Even more so, now.

Rolex's name is getting cursed at left and right because they've stopped the flood of SS into the market. Rightly so...In certain cities, all you see is a steel sub date.
WatchLurv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2019, 10:49 PM   #106
HTXdev14
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blue DJ41
I went and visited two of my local ADs yesterday and they were both very friendly and forthcoming with information. One even had a new GMT and Pepsi that had come in that week. Unfortunately for me, the Pepsi was already gone. You might just have a bad AD?
HTXdev14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2019, 10:53 PM   #107
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Quote:

I see this very differently, so I’m interested in what you think they should do differently?

In my experience, the AD’s are looking after loyal customers as best they can, mine certainly has been very good to me and I appreciate them for that, and it has made me even more loyal. I very nearly missed out on a Patek because I was honest with a PP AD and said that I would never buy any jewellery or Rolex from them, because I’m loyal to my local jeweller and Rolex dealer. This isn’t me being a slave to my AD, it is just the way I like to operate, I’m an inherently loyal person and I enjoy long term relationships based on mutual respect.

The AD’s could treat everyone equally of course, and simply work on a first come first served basis; I assume (maybe incorrectly) that this is what you think they should do? But then what...

The current spike may well disappear tomorrow and we may well be back in a world of discounts on Rolex professional models (I doubt this very much, but it’s possible). But I don’t see how the AD’s will regret their current approach? Loyal customers like me will still buy from them, and our long term relationship will continue.

What they would regret, is not favouring their loyal customers and treating them the same as ‘new business’. They will regret this because when the spike is a distant memory (I repeat, I can’t see this happening but let’s go with it), the loyal customers that once were, will go elsewhere because they will feel like their loyalty hadn’t been rewarded. And to make it worse, the ‘new business’ will go to grey dealers where they were before the spike!

I know my AD hates turning away business and finds it distressing having to say ‘no’ to tens of people every day, it goes against the grain of any sales organisation, but they have no choice.

I’m sure there are bad AD’s with bad sales people with bad attitudes, and maybe my AD is an exception, but I truly wouldn’t do anything different to what they are doing.

I simply can’t get my head around people complaining about lack of supply, it’s a premium product in high demand, this is what happens. I’m on with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2019, 11:00 PM   #108
~dadam02~
"TRF" Member

Watch: N/A
Maybe those AD's can sell to those 10 customers they turned away, rather than directly to grey's to satisfy their own wallets?
~dadam02~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2019, 11:00 PM   #109
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
I wont give them the satisfaction! I like to come in and say, looks like I have the largest stock of SS models in town. True story, I even had one ask me, how did you get your Daytona. I said at another AD....at Retail.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2019, 11:02 PM   #110
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Unless I'm looking too buy something then I'll stop in otherwise I don't go in to look at empty cases and waste time.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2019, 05:56 AM   #111
Alan111
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by othertbone View Post
i haven't been in a rolex ad for over year, intercourse them!
lol.
Alan111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2019, 07:15 AM   #112
12o'clockhigh
"TRF" Member

Watch: your six
I have decided to re-focus my time and energy on buying lottery tickets. I think the chance of success is greater.
12o'clockhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2019, 07:23 AM   #113
Khans14
"TRF" Member

I have not. I read all of the stories on here about how some AD's around the world behave and it is unsettling. It seems like AD's in some places are basically on the level of an unscrupulous used car salesman.

I have never had a bad experience at my local AD. Always professional and friendly. From what I can see, they also try hard to weed out flippers. I have also never been lied to or made a promise that they could not keep.
Khans14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2019, 09:52 AM   #114
kirksingleton
"TRF" Member

I don’t go anymore, no inventory! I also won’t pay over msrp....so I’ll just keep the collection as is for now!
kirksingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2019, 11:47 AM   #115
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
If my old AD, Beauchamp Jewelers, was still in business, I'm sure I'd be dropping in to check things out and shoot the bull, but even though the new AD, Lee Michaels, staff is quite friendly, they don't have a lot of space dedicated Rolex and when I did go in when they first opened to look around and say hi, they really didn't have anything I might be interested in and a mostly empty showcase.

Now the truth is that it's not so much their fault that they don't have anything that I'm interested in, because even if they had a showcase full of Rolex watches, I already have the references I really like and I'm just not that interested in any of the new designs as classic as they may still be.

Since Beauchamp's closed though, I have bought a number of used watches from ABQ Gold and Silver across the street, including a 1503 on a leather strap and a 16570 with rubber and leather straps and also the damaged bracelet, which the owner threw in at no extra charge after I asked about it.

I've been quite pleased with my purchases, as I like those references quite a lot and Rolex isn't making any more of them either.

I also managed to pick up another used Rolex from a friend recently that I will introduce to the board at a later date.

I got really good deals on the watches, even if they are not perfect or come as complete sets.

I don't much care about the market or popular trends. I like what I like and the watches I've bought were good deals partly because they are references that no one else seems to care about, so I'm good.

This is what I have in the Rolex/Tudor department so far, except for the latest acquisition.

Not a great shot.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2019, 11:48 AM   #116
RL777
"TRF" Member

When I'm traveling I still love to look for cool watch shops to check out but at home I rarely have the interest anymore even if I'm nearby.
RL777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2019, 11:54 AM   #117
Ny325
"TRF" Member

Watch: DW-5600BB
Rolex is putting AD in bad situations. You walk in, display cases practically empty. My friend who is a AD manager told me it’s supply and demand. Rolex can’t make the watches fast enough.
Ny325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2019, 11:59 AM   #118
Ny325
"TRF" Member

Watch: DW-5600BB
Rolex is putting AD in bad situations. You walk in, display cases practically empty. My friend who is a manager at a AD told me it’s supply and demand. Rolex can’t make the watches fast enough.

Last edited by Ny325; 24 October 2019 at 12:00 PM.. Reason: Duplicate post
Ny325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2019, 12:41 PM   #119
Goonthree
"TRF" Member

They can care less you got your Daytona else where as they can sell all they get easily. Most dont even take your name or contact if you are looking for the hot watches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester01 View Post
I wont give them the satisfaction! I like to come in and say, looks like I have the largest stock of SS models in town. True story, I even had one ask me, how did you get your Daytona. I said at another AD....at Retail.
Goonthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2019, 01:38 PM   #120
djgallo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post
If my old AD, Beauchamp Jewelers, was still in business, I'm sure I'd be dropping in to check things out and shoot the bull, but even though the new AD, Lee Michaels, staff is quite friendly, they don't have a lot of space dedicated Rolex and when I did go in when they first opened to look around and say hi, they really didn't have anything I might be interested in and a mostly empty showcase.

Now the truth is that it's not so much their fault that they don't have anything that I'm interested in, because even if they had a showcase full of Rolex watches, I already have the references I really like and I'm just not that interested in any of the new designs as classic as they may still be.

Since Beauchamp's closed though, I have bought a number of used watches from ABQ Gold and Silver across the street, including a 1503 on a leather strap and a 16570 with rubber and leather straps and also the damaged bracelet, which the owner threw in at no extra charge after I asked about it.

I've been quite pleased with my purchases, as I like those references quite a lot and Rolex isn't making any more of them either.

I also managed to pick up another used Rolex from a friend recently that I will introduce to the board at a later date.

I got really good deals on the watches, even if they are not perfect or come as complete sets.

I don't much care about the market or popular trends. I like what I like and the watches I've bought were good deals partly because they are references that no one else seems to care about, so I'm good.

This is what I have in the Rolex/Tudor department so far, except for the latest acquisition.

Not a great shot.

You have a very nice collection! Your Tudor Montecarlo is the cats ass!
djgallo is offline   Reply With Quote