The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Miscellaneous Forums > New Members

Old 12 October 2014, 02:24 PM   #1
mitchen
"TRF" Member

Are watch winders safe?

I'm a new Rolex owner and wanted to get a watch winder to put my watch on at night. The store I purchased from recommended only buying one from Rolex or Orbita. The ones from Orbita are really ugly for the price and are open faced which seems like they'd collect a lot of dust...but I guess my concern is really whether they're safe or not. I've read they can over wind. So I guess my question is two fold-Are they safe for Rolex watches and are other brands such as Wolf very reliable as I find them more attractive. Figured long time Rolex owners would have the answers.
mitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2014, 03:00 PM   #2
Hairdude1
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,PP, Rolex
Do you only have one Automatic watch? If so and are wearing on a daily basis you should need to keep it wound over night. The momentum from daily use should keep it going. Welcome to trf

16750, 26401, 5711, 116718, 116710LN, 116300, 16710"Coke", 372, 15300, 15703 (All Flipped)
Official Member "Perpetual 30" Las Vegas GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member 'WIS-CON' Las Vegas Int'l GTG 2018
Hairdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2014, 03:28 PM   #3
MonBK
Banned

Welcome
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2014, 07:19 PM   #4
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Welcome to TRF!
Old 12 October 2014, 09:35 PM   #5
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Welcome to TRF and yes watch winders are safe. Perhaps not necessary but certainly not dangerous! Cheers,

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2014, 10:52 PM   #6
Urosfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me now
Welcome
Urosfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2014, 12:44 AM   #7
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Welcome!
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2014, 01:44 AM   #8
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchen View Post
I'm a new Rolex owner and wanted to get a watch winder to put my watch on at night. The store I purchased from recommended only buying one from Rolex or Orbita. The ones from Orbita are really ugly for the price and are open faced which seems like they'd collect a lot of dust...but I guess my concern is really whether they're safe or not. I've read they can over wind. So I guess my question is two fold-Are they safe for Rolex watches and are other brands such as Wolf very reliable as I find them more attractive. Figured long time Rolex owners would have the answers.
You cannot over-wind any Rolex automatic watch there is a mechanism in the spring barrel that prevents that, but in the real world a machine winder is not necessary. Simply because you have two of the finest winders in the world attached to your arms called wrists plus a manual winding crown welcome to TRF.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2014, 09:18 AM   #9
Alfredo.
"TRF" Member

Welcome!
Old 14 October 2014, 09:23 AM   #10
Matt C
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116660
Orbita and Wolf are some of the best on the market, there are much cheaper Chinese alternatives but with plastic gears they don't last very long. If you only have one watch then you don't really need a winder, however its a great way if you have multiple pieces to keep them wound and ready to go!
Matt C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2014, 10:06 AM   #11
RollieVerde
Banned

Welcome to the forum, and you have started with one of the most controversial of topics. You will read many well-considered, learned responses that will argue the pros and cons of winders very convincingly. It's ultimately going to come down with what you feel comfortable with for the long term performance of your watch. After all I've read, I'm still not married to any of the options. But FWIW, when I'm not wearing a watch for a while I put it in a case, and make sure I take it out once a month, wind it fully and wear it for a day. or so.
RollieVerde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2014, 12:01 PM   #12
jnkay
"TRF" Member

Watch: du jour
With most reasonably good winders such as Orbita, they will basically maintain the level of power reserve the watch has at the time you place it in the winder. So if you place the watch in the winder with a 50% charge, it will maintain the charge between say, 50% and 75%, and will not charge it to 100%. So overwinding is need not be an issue, even without the clutch in the watch movement that itself prevents overwinding.
jnkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2014, 02:00 AM   #13
gocsan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 116610LV
Welcome!

I personally stay away from watch winders because I take pleasure of winding the Rolex myself. To me, self winding is part of enjoying my watch rather than leaving that to watch winders.
gocsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2014, 02:12 AM   #14
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
You cannot over-wind any Rolex automatic watch there is a mechanism in the spring barrel that prevents that, but in the real world a machine winder is not necessary. Simply because you have two of the finest winders in the world attached to your arms called wrists plus a manual winding crown welcome to TRF.
Peter and I have always disagreed on this issue. But we remain friends.

I strongly believe in the value of winders, especially if you have multiple automatic watches. If you have only one watch, there is no need for a winder, as long as you wear that watch every day. Your wrist action will keep it wound when you take it off at night.

I have quite a few automatics and I keep nine of them on winders at all times. Several of my watches have multiple complications that become a PITA to reset if the watch stops running. I have two Brookstone quad winders (at about US$200 each) and an Underwood single. I've had the Brookstones for about 5 years and they have always operated flawlessly (and silently). The Underwood has been running continuously for about 10 years without a problem.

At the end of the day, you need to make your own decision as to whether you need a winder. As Peter said (and I do agree with him on this), you can't overwind a Rolex, or most other high end watches, so there's no worry there.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2014, 02:16 AM   #15
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
I like to let mine rest at night. I've tried a couple of winders but found them more of a hassle. I only own two automatics, so rotate them. And manually wind if necessary.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote