The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 19 October 2019, 04:28 AM   #1
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

4 digit Daytona market cooled down?

Has anyone heard something about this? I spoke to a dealer recently and he said it was a bit slow.

I feel like overall the vintage market has been slower than the past few years, less special pieces, less movement, less anything? Or I have to be mistaken.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2019, 04:39 AM   #2
mattedialdoc
"TRF" Member

No

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mattedialdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2019, 05:03 AM   #3
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
Depends on who you ask. ;)

Imho the Daytona market peaked just before the Phillips Daytona Ultimatum auction.
Old 19 October 2019, 05:12 AM   #4
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattedialdoc View Post
No

Based on? I've been looking at ads online (all kinds of models), I see a lot of pieces sitting. Not everything moves as fast as before.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2019, 05:18 AM   #5
theflywrist
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roh123 View Post
Depends on who you ask. ;)

Imho the Daytona market peaked just before the Phillips Daytona Ultimatum auction.
Think so too re the Daytona market. A correction had to happen, which is excellent.

It is very obvious IMO the vintage market has slowed down drastically.
1 or 2 years ago watches would not sit as long as they currently do. Not just quality watches that would move faster, but also mediocre examples, inserts would sell quicker etc etc etc.

I'm not going to argue with anyone if they think otherwise though, or point to the direction of the watches I am referring to yada yada. This is just my opinion on what I'm seeing, though I must say, many other collectors I know share the same feeling.
theflywrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2019, 05:34 AM   #6
exador
Banned

Quote:
No
Apparently you’re firmly in the “Denial” phase...

exador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2019, 05:43 AM   #7
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Yeah, it's a little slow out there; whether it is new watches, old watches, vintage watches, classic watches and yes, even Daytonas, new, used or vintage, it's a little slow.

So, now that everyone knows what's going on in the market, what's the point? Spend, spend, spend...or retreat more?

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2019, 05:43 AM   #8
JParm
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes!
If this is true, it's good for people like me!
Old 19 October 2019, 05:45 AM   #9
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Yeah, it's a little slow out there; whether it is new watches, old watches, vintage watches, classic watches and yes, even Daytonas, new, used or vintage, it's a little slow.

So, now that everyone knows what's going on in the market, what's the point? Spend, spend, spend...or retreat more?
Collectors keep, speculators sell and dealers deal? I think the market will be shaky for quite some time. Slow for most.

I still think Daytonas have corrected more than other models. It held a lot of air for a while.
Old 19 October 2019, 09:51 AM   #10
mattedialdoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exador View Post
Apparently you’re firmly in the “Denial” phase...

Nice, Exador, but hardly a need for that jab. My response “No” was from the perspective of a collector who only wears 4 digits. And I guess since I have the pieces I want already the market isn’t really all that relative to me, so there’s that . Whether there is a little slowing in pieces moving on the forums, the good pieces are still hot and changing hands all day.
Old 19 October 2019, 10:10 AM   #11
othertbone
Banned

Watch: Rolex/AP/Vin Omega
All prices have come down a bit
othertbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2019, 10:31 AM   #12
Juhuatai
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5508 & 9401
I actually think it depends on the segment of the market. Cheaper stuff moves much quicker simply due to the larger prospective buyer base. When you get into 15k and higher it seems that the market has slowed down. Of course this is all anecdotal.
Juhuatai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2019, 10:32 AM   #13
subx
"TRF" Member

looking at the Philips auction catalog for this November,
... countless Daytonas.
that tells me its selling time.
subx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2019, 11:41 AM   #14
jdmi32
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
I’ve definitely seen a bit of a pullback across all models, which I think is much needed. I doubt we will go back to when a 6263 could be had for 30k, but it was nuts seeing average examples going for almost six figures.
jdmi32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2019, 07:22 PM   #15
theflywrist
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roh123 View Post
Collectors keep, speculators sell and dealers deal? I think the market will be shaky for quite some time. Slow for most.

I still think Daytonas have corrected more than other models. It held a lot of air for a while.
Absolutely!
I think its a good thing for us that are trying to acquire a few pieces of the missing puzzle in our collections.

I understand a lot of newbies are now afraid to venture because it is more than ever a minefield. I know some guys myself that were extremely enthusiastic to get into it, showed the exact same kind of obsessive interest that I had years ago when I started, but they quickly got put off as they carefully looked closer.

There have always been counterfeits, but it appears worse than ever. Cases can be made to look as close as unpolished, hands can be relumed to near impossible to tell, and I have a feeling the dial can be as well. I haven't seen one in the flesh(or haven't been tell it apart if I have) but I am inclined to believe that a perfect relume to the point of most not being able to tell them apart probably do exist. (making an assumption but I have heard of such things from my asian collector friends).

The trend seems to be that whatever the market is hot for, keeps popping up in large numbers for sale. Be it a Fuchsia insert, a ghost insert, or when the patrizzi took off, or lately I'm seeing a ton of cream 116520s as prices are creeping up, etc.

I think more than ever, only venture this market for the love of VR with a 100 times diligence and a reliable source. As in "investment", probably will bite you later!
theflywrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2019, 09:55 PM   #16
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Quote:
Nice, Exador, but hardly a need for that jab. My response “No” was from the perspective of a collector who only wears 4 digits. And I guess since I have the pieces I want already the market isn’t really all that relative to me, so there’s that . Whether there is a little slowing in pieces moving on the forums, the good pieces are still hot and changing hands all day.
Respectfully, the “jab” was warranted. Your one word response to the OP was an obvious attempt at sounding like you are in the know, and designed to make the OP feel foolish for suggesting such a thing when in actuality he is factually correct. The market has softened, many vintage pieces have come down (the ones that are actually selling), and I think it will continue.
There is a finite number of individuals who are willing to spend 6 figures on watches that sold for a few hundred. Once those people have scratched the itch, and move in to other things, a market correction is unavoidable.
I have said many many times, I THINK a very large correction is coming. Just my opinion.
Old 19 October 2019, 10:52 PM   #17
mattedialdoc
"TRF" Member

4 digit Daytona market cooled down?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublovin View Post
Respectfully, the “jab” was warranted. Your one word response to the OP was an obvious attempt at sounding like you are in the know, and designed to make the OP feel foolish for suggesting such a thing when in actuality he is factually correct. The market has softened, many vintage pieces have come down (the ones that are actually selling), and I think it will continue.

There is a finite number of individuals who are willing to spend 6 figures on watches that sold for a few hundred. Once those people have scratched the itch, and move in to other things, a market correction is unavoidable.

I have said many many times, I THINK a very large correction is coming. Just my opinion.

Good point. Sorry OP and Friends. I’m not a dealer nor really a market follower. But hanging w my buddies in NYC this week market seems alive as ever. But I defer to those that have the graphs for the real data. Back to our usual programming!!