The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 October 2019, 10:01 AM   #61
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
I’m in Dallas for awhile and was going to visit one but one of the members here told me not to bother.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2019, 10:25 AM   #62
moneymike83
Banned

Watch: Sd43
Quote:
Originally Posted by othertbone View Post
I haven't been in a Rolex AD for over year, intercourse them!

Sounds about right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
moneymike83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2019, 10:42 AM   #63
Drpepper
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlideRacker View Post
I’ve been thinking about starting a thread like this for a while. Looks like OP beat me to it. I don’t bother visiting ADs anymore locally or internationally. It’s a pointless waste of time. In fact I’m done with this hobby for good. It’s just not fun anymore. I have a nice collection and will continue to enjoy it. Now it’s time to focus on other hobbies and forget this one.
Hahah yup... been doing cars, stocks, real estate, traveling. The world is big. I’ll come back when the watches are available without the markup or drama. But it’s still fun to read these boards...
Drpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2019, 10:58 AM   #64
Robtayham
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woof View Post
Its not the AD fault. They have no control over the Rolex situation. Unfortunately, they're only ones that are getting yelled at by us. So they are numb now.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
It’s definitely their fault. They could control who they sell to. They don’t, and it’s made the problem worse.

It’s no different then when someone used to be able to buy all the tickets for a movie or a rock concert. The promoter was thrilled because all the tickets were ‘sold’. The scalper (or grey in the Rolex world) ended up controlling 100% of the supply, to the detriment of the buying public. It’s why a lot of venues implemented a policy barring the scalpers from being able to buy up the tickets.

The AD could implement limiting how many watches a buyer could buy at the same time, or within a designated timeframe. But, they don’t. And it’s why you see a huge supply of ‘hard to get’ watches at the greys, and not on your wrist.
Robtayham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2019, 11:00 AM   #65
faaaaaaaasterrrrr
"TRF" Member

Watch: Another One?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robtayham View Post
It’s definitely their fault. They could control who they sell to. They don’t, and it’s made the problem worse.

It’s no different then when someone used to be able to buy all the tickets for a movie or a rock concert. The promoter was thrilled because all the tickets were ‘sold’. The scalper (or grey in the Rolex world) ended up controlling 100% of the supply, to the detriment of the buying public. It’s why a lot of venues implemented a policy barring the scalpers from being able to buy up the tickets.

The AD could implement limiting how many watches a buyer could buy at the same time, or within a designated timeframe. But, they don’t. And it’s why you see a huge supply of ‘hard to get’ watches at the greys, and not on your wrist.
This is the best analogy I have seen for what's happening in the Rolex world.
faaaaaaaasterrrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2019, 11:01 AM   #66
Chaching
"TRF" Member

Watch: Many! 116718 GOLD
Kinda sucks when you are a “small fish” in a big sea. I love Rolex and the brand they are wicked smart!
Chaching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2019, 11:03 AM   #67
bonovox
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your time
This is a moment that will pass.
bonovox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2019, 11:05 AM   #68
Bizcut1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126331 126610 3861
I have a great relationship with my AD at Hyde Park here in Phoenix

That's just not going to change regardless of Rolex conditions.

Ben
Bizcut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2019, 11:05 AM   #69
msdtra
Banned

Watch: 126710BLNR
Agree ADs do get some stock and availability and choose who to sell to as you got be big fish to get anything related to SS Subs. I am going break down find something else or buy used.
msdtra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2019, 11:10 AM   #70
patrickjb
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570, 126600
Given the current climate, and the state of my collections - there is no reason for me to pop into AD's randomly anymore. There is probably nothing I would buy, even if they had it on the shelves.

Once I'm ready to buy a PM Day Date 40- and I've succesfully convinced my wife not to assassinate me in the middle of the sales floor - maybe I'll start swinging by again
patrickjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2019, 11:14 AM   #71
Yobber76
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: BLNR VTNR PAM 915
I'm taking a sabbatical from Rolex shopping, I'm chasing hard to find bourbon at MSRP.
It's very similar as a hobby, a lot of "The Pappy, Eagle Rare 17yr, George T Stagg, Elmer T Lee, yada, yada, yada never hits the shelves. The owner reserves those for his best customers." (Or sells them off to dealers who mark them up into the stratosphere)
Sound familiar?
Yobber76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2019, 11:14 AM   #72
marcusp23
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, CHNR an
I go in, but not as often as I used to, and with low expectations
marcusp23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2019, 11:31 AM   #73
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
All the people with "principles" who complain about Rolex shortages should hold their nose and call a Trusted Seller.

You can get any Rolex you want, just pay a premium, and not much of one for some models. Then you can be happy not to visit an AD. You may have violated your "priniciples" but you will be smilling ear to ear when you look at your new Rolex.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2019, 11:49 AM   #74
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
I drop into my AD every so often just to yack it up with my SA. He has taken care of me so far and I’m expecting something soon. But I’m NOT an random buyer who will pick up anything that comes along because FOMO.
I like all brands of watches so I’ll sometimes wander into dealers in other cities I’m visiting but I make my intentions clear...I’m either ready to buy something or I’m just browsing, I don’t waste their time either way. I am loyal to my preferred AD for Rolex purchases.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2019, 12:00 PM   #75
calebb90
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by quakeroatmeal View Post
I've purchased a Milgauss, a DJ41, some diamond studs, and a Tudor GMT all within 12 months, and still get told the Sub is "never in stock".

No idea what I need to do at this point to be able to get a watch at retail at this point.

Bigger diamonds.

calebb90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2019, 12:03 PM   #76
Mldrake
"TRF" Member

It’s a waste of time.
Mldrake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2019, 12:04 PM   #77
calebb90
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekman View Post
Since you're in MA I will recommend Springer's in Portsmouth NH. I have not bought anything yet but I have had a positive experience with them. I was also talking about bundling a YM for the wife and they seemed pretty receptive to including a GMT with that (with a few months wait, tho). Again, i didn't buy anything so maybe I was just being played but it felt like a genuine encounter.

And tax free!

Old 22 October 2019, 12:06 PM   #78
calebb90
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drpepper View Post
Hahah yup... been doing cars, stocks, real estate, traveling. The world is big. I’ll come back when the watches are available without the markup or drama. But it’s still fun to read these boards...

Hate to tell ya but if you think there is a bubble in watches but not in real estate, you might wanna read up.

Old 22 October 2019, 12:39 PM   #79
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP
I still go in and talk to the SAs, but with no expectations of getting any popular watch. I have been treated very well for the most part even though I am just browsing. I do not ask about any of the steel watches, but I am interested in perhaps a YG GMT Master II as well as some others primarily from PP, AP, and VC. If it comes up in conversation then I’ll acknowledge the tough situation they’re in. Fortunately, I’m very happy with my two watch collection, so will buy if and when I see something I love or something my wife loves. But the bottom line is that I don’t play the AD game because it’s a game I can’t win.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2019, 12:42 PM   #80
Tenebris Equum
Banned

Watch: Speedy and Pepsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by othertbone View Post
I haven't been in a Rolex AD for over year, intercourse them!
Bahahahhahaha! Intercourse them for sure. I haven't bothered visiting Rolex AD's for over 1.5 years, waste of time.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
Tenebris Equum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2019, 12:46 PM   #81
Singslinger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaninFlorida View Post
so far my AD has been very supportive and encouraging. Maybe i am lucky being in a smaller city and the attitude has been great.
Yes, same here.

I turn 60 next year and would like a watch of my choice to celebrate, and my AD has promised to secure whatever I want, provided I give her at least 6 months notice.
Singslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2019, 01:28 PM   #82
David5807
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drpepper View Post
Preach!
David5807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2019, 01:42 PM   #83
djgallo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlideRacker View Post
I’ve been thinking about starting a thread like this for a while. Looks like OP beat me to it. I don’t bother visiting ADs anymore locally or internationally. It’s a pointless waste of time. In fact I’m done with this hobby for good. It’s just not fun anymore. I have a nice collection and will continue to enjoy it. Now it’s time to focus on other hobbies and forget this one.
The game gets harder to play....another one bites the dust....maybe I can get lucky now.....I can hear the AD calling....
djgallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2019, 02:09 PM   #84
foolanger
"TRF" Member

Hi Everyone. I've been reading these forums for years without contributing much but thought I'd share my experience on this topic. I nearly gave up trying to buy newer rolexes until about a year ago I met an AD that was willing to help me out. Granted I spent a considerable amount of money on jewelry for my wife but I would of bought those with or without the right to new watches so I'm ok with it. In the last 8 months I was able to get both a White and a Black Daytona, a Hulk, and a Pepsi with very little wait. The white daytona was the only watch I waited for which took about 2 months. I'm not sure if I'm extremely lucky or struck up a relationship with the right AD but I'm taking advantage of it now and picking up every watch that i want while I can.
foolanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2019, 04:01 PM   #85
WatchLurv
Banned

Watch: Swiss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robtayham View Post

So if they sold out all their SS to that guy who tries to tell them they will wear it out and not flip it for a 3-5K gain then they'll get a pat on the back from Rolex?

Rolex sees numbers. If youre selling SS only, you're not getting SS in the future shipments...Probably ever again. Let alone getting your license renewed. That's an annual contractual renewal so come end of business year you can wave your license goodbye and Rolex will be buying back their watches at a discount of what you bought them for from Rolex.

The greys were in this watch game long before you. They've been getting their supplies from ADs even when a Batman was on display and they were still working with the margins they did back then.
WatchLurv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2019, 04:10 PM   #86
akilis
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116695SATS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KFP55 View Post
I love stopping in to look at watches, but, as we know, there are none. I’m really getting worn out stopping in to chat when the story is the same, the ADs are dismissive and there is no end in sight. Really frustrating as I’d like to add a couple new models to WEAR and pass on to my children, but not going to pay double retail for anything.

I even tried to bundle a YM for my wife last week at a place I’ve previously purchased from - for a $3k premium over grey - and was told the $20k in spend (including my GMT from last year) wouldn’t even get me on the “list” for ANY of the models I want. I mean is $20k in spend really NOTHING? And they acted annoyed that I was wearing a 20 year old watch that is not in production that I didn’t buy from them (they don’t sell pre owned and they of course wouldn’t offer the new Pepsi)

Anyway, I am just tired of wasting my limited time on this dog and pony show to be treated dismissively every time I try to have a conversation. Wonder how much damage this will do to these ADs WHEN (not IF) the market returns to normal some day...?

I rather bid on grey market.... no more games with any ADs
akilis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2019, 04:51 PM   #87
daOnlyBG
"TRF" Member

Watch: yes, it's hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apples View Post
I think the OP tried to bundle a YM for his wife to get the piece he actually wanted. Not to get a YM.
Ah, ok. I must have misunderstood- thanks
Old 22 October 2019, 05:58 PM   #88
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
I still go in every time I’m in town. They all know me in there and I like to geek-out for half an hour and just chat about watches.

I’m maybe one of the very few that likes the fact that I can’t just have whatever I want whenever I want, the chase makes it all the more satisfying in a world where instant gratification has become the norm.

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2019, 07:35 PM   #89
Jim Smyth
Banned

Watch: DD
Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post
All the people with "principles" who complain about Rolex shortages should hold their nose and call a Trusted Seller.

You can get any Rolex you want, just pay a premium, and not much of one for some models. Then you can be happy not to visit an AD. You may have violated your "priniciples" but you will be smilling ear to ear when you look at your new Rolex.
I am not one to sit around to BS or work someone for a product. I did the AD route 40+ years ago but never liked the pushy sales people and the game that was always played. This year I decided after a very long AD lay off to go into a couple of local AD's and see if my old impressions could be changed even knowing how limited everything is.

Still got the same rub which I didnt like way back when. Love dealing with guys like David that make buying and trading so pleasurable and easy. Shortage, what Rolex shortage? I dont think there's any US AD that moves more product than DSW.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2019, 10:17 PM   #90
Robtayham
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchLurv View Post
So if they sold out all their SS to that guy who tries to tell them they will wear it out and not flip it for a 3-5K gain then they'll get a pat on the back from Rolex?

Rolex sees numbers. If youre selling SS only, you're not getting SS in the future shipments...Probably ever again. Let alone getting your license renewed. That's an annual contractual renewal so come end of business year you can wave your license goodbye and Rolex will be buying back their watches at a discount of what you bought them for from Rolex.

The greys were in this watch game long before you. They've been getting their supplies from ADs even when a Batman was on display and they were still working with the margins they did back then.
To continue my analogy above, it’s very common for ticket holders to have to show proof of their ID to verify their name matches the name on the ticket. This keeps the ticket holder from reselling to a third party.

To be clear: I do not and will not ever support that practice. If I buy something, like a watch, it’s mine. I can, and should, be able to flip it. It’s not the AD’s job to ‘interview me’ in an effort to determine if I’ll flip it or not.

But, I’m not sure that’s your point / question??

My point above was simply saying that Rolex could control sales to the end client to result in a broader distribution of customers.

Rolex’s reputation is getting smeared (just read the threads on TRF). This is exactly the reason why venues implemented a ban on scalpers’ big block purchases of tickets. For Rolex, their reputation is more important than being to give an AD ‘a pat on the back’.
Robtayham is offline   Reply With Quote