The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 24 November 2007, 09:24 AM   #1
Perdu
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Omega 300M GMT

Omega Seamaster 300M GMT and some comparisons with the Rolex GMT

The dial of the watch has a guilloche wave pattern that varies in different shades of light. Omega write “chronometer” etc., over the wave pattern and the finishing detail of the dial under a loup is amazing. The minute markers are much like the early eighties Rolex GMT, that is longer in length. The 24 hour hand appears a slightly darker red than the Rolex version, with a smaller, more subtle triangle at the end. While the dial is black, compared with Rolex’s dials it appears more dark anthracite and is not glossed.

The sword hands and hour markers are oversized allowing for a large coverage of Super-LumiNova. In addition, Omega use color C3, (yellow) as this glows brighter than any other Super-LumiNova color, making this the best low light dial I have experienced. It also makes the markers appear light green in most light because they are glowing so brightly. Whether this bothers you or not is a matter of personal taste. Although you cannot see it in my photos, the hour markers are surrounded by a thick white line that gives them more definition than my pictures show.

The movement is Omega’s cal. 1128, a modified ETA 2892-A2 movement. It’s the Omega cal.1120 with a GMT function. I am not qualified to comment further on the movement other than to say the cal.1120 is highly regarded as a reliable work horse by Omega enthusiasts.

It uses the Incabloc shock system (Omega rates the 1128 as withstanding up to 5000G), rather than Rolex’s improved kif shock system. The hours hands jump forward or backwards just like the Rolex GMT, although they feel much more positive than the Rolex GMT, with no slack. Like the Rolex, you loose the quick set date and the Omega date mechanism does not change on the strike of midnight.

Since I have only owned this watch two months I cannot comment on long term accuracy, but until now my watch has gained 2 seconds a day – a minute a month. I wrote to Omega and asked them to send me my watches actual COSC certificate, which they kindly did, which is a nice touch.

The bezel has a somewhat “tinny” feel to it unlike the more solid feel of the Rolex bezel. The bezel insert cannot be changed; instead you have the change the whole Bezel. It also has smooth edges, which I have not found a problem, but it would be if you have wet hands. I have accidently moved the bezel several times and I would prefer it was harder to turn. Just like the Rolex, there are 120 clicks to one rotation.

The Crown is a little small and too recessed. The former is not a problem but I have no idea why Omega thought they needed to recess the crown so much. On the underside of the watch it’s not recessed. The best crown I have seen on a watch is Rolex's Triplock.

The bracelet is solid 316L stainless steel and extremely comfortable, so much so that I often don’t bother to take it off at night. There is absolutely no rattle to this bracelet. The clasp is prone to scratching but a fiberglass pen or a Scotch-Bite pad fixes this. The only downside to this strap which may bother most people is that it has no user adjustment. Unless you are competent to adjust a pin bracelet it’s off to the watchmaker if you want adjustments between summer and winter as you wrist size changes.

The case is also stainless 316L. I don’t have a caliper or a scale but this watch is definitely heavier than my Rolex Submariner and although about the same depth, is more contoured to the wrist, so appears to sit a little lower. Although it's not printed on the dial, the GMT is rated to 1000 feet.

The price is $2500.00 MSRP but you can find great discounts. Full GMT functionality, excellent timekeeping, impeccable finishing of the dial, case and bracelet, and a great tool watch design for less than half the price of the Rolex. You can’t beat that.

I hope you enjoyed my review. Excuse my lousy photography.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Omega2.jpg (85.9 KB, 1281 views)
File Type: jpg Omega1.jpg (64.0 KB, 1265 views)
Perdu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2007, 01:49 PM   #2
TARDIS
"TRF" Member

Great review except I can't see any photo's??
TARDIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2007, 02:22 PM   #3
Letsgodiving
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD 16600
Quote:
Originally Posted by TARDIS View Post
Great review except I can't see any photo's??
X2
Letsgodiving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2007, 02:54 PM   #4
Robb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLNR
Great review!!! I would love to have one with the white dial!!
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2007, 05:36 PM   #5
jasonbellevue
"TRF" Member

Gary, I have fixed the pictures for you. BTW, great review and beautiful pictures, thanks for sharing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perdu View Post
Omega Seamaster 300M GMT and some comparisons with the Rolex GMT

The dial of the watch has a guilloche wave pattern that varies in different shades of light. Omega write “chronometer” etc., over the wave pattern and the finishing detail of the dial under a loup is amazing. The minute markers are much like the early eighties Rolex GMT, that is longer in length. The 24 hour hand appears a slightly darker red than the Rolex version, with a smaller, more subtle triangle at the end. While the dial is black, compared with Rolex’s dials it appears more dark anthracite and is not glossed.

The sword hands and hour markers are oversized allowing for a large coverage of Super-LumiNova. In addition, Omega use color C3, (yellow) as this glows brighter than any other Super-LumiNova color, making this the best low light dial I have experienced. It also makes the markers appear light green in most light because they are glowing so brightly. Whether this bothers you or not is a matter of personal taste. Although you cannot see it in my photos, the hour markers are surrounded by a thick white line that gives them more definition than my pictures show.

The movement is Omega’s cal. 1128, a modified ETA 2892-A2 movement. It’s the Omega cal.1120 with a GMT function. I am not qualified to comment further on the movement other than to say the cal.1120 is highly regarded as a reliable work horse by Omega enthusiasts.

It uses the Incabloc shock system (Omega rates the 1128 as withstanding up to 5000G), rather than Rolex’s improved kif shock system. The hours hands jump forward or backwards just like the Rolex GMT, although they feel much more positive than the Rolex GMT, with no slack. Like the Rolex, you loose the quick set date and the Omega date mechanism does not change on the strike of midnight.

Since I have only owned this watch two months I cannot comment on long term accuracy, but until now my watch has gained 2 seconds a day – a minute a month. I wrote to Omega and asked them to send me my watches actual COSC certificate, which they kindly did, which is a nice touch.

The bezel has a somewhat “tinny” feel to it unlike the more solid feel of the Rolex bezel. The bezel insert cannot be changed; instead you have the change the whole Bezel. It also has smooth edges, which I have not found a problem, but it would be if you have wet hands. I have accidently moved the bezel several times and I would prefer it was harder to turn. Just like the Rolex, there are 120 clicks to one rotation.

The Crown is a little small and too recessed. The former is not a problem but I have no idea why Omega thought they needed to recess the crown so much. On the underside of the watch it’s not recessed. The best crown I have seen on a watch is Rolex's Triplock.

The bracelet is solid 316L stainless steel and extremely comfortable, so much so that I often don’t bother to take it off at night. There is absolutely no rattle to this bracelet. The clasp is prone to scratching but a fiberglass pen or a Scotch-Bite pad fixes this. The only downside to this strap which may bother most people is that it has no user adjustment. Unless you are competent to adjust a pin bracelet it’s off to the watchmaker if you want adjustments between summer and winter as you wrist size changes.

The case is also stainless 316L. I don’t have a caliper or a scale but this watch is definitely heavier than my Rolex Submariner and although about the same depth, is more contoured to the wrist, so appears to sit a little lower. Although it's not printed on the dial, the GMT is rated to 1000 feet.

The price is $2500.00 MSRP but you can find great discounts. Full GMT functionality, excellent timekeeping, impeccable finishing of the dial, case and bracelet, and a great tool watch design for less than half the price of the Rolex. You can’t beat that.

I hope you enjoyed my review. Excuse my lousy photography.

Old 24 November 2007, 07:43 PM   #6
CPTL
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub Date; SS/WG DJ
Great Watch

Great review of a great watch.

X2, Robb. I'm longing for the Seamaster GMT white-dial. They're getting hard to find, and almost non-existent at a discount. Which is lame, because I can't see paying $2500 for the white-dial when you can easily get the black-dial for $1800.

I couldn't see the pics either, so I'll post my own!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg White SeaM GMT.jpg (57.4 KB, 1306 views)
CPTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2007, 10:03 PM   #7
Lol-x
Facilitator

Great review Gary
Unfortunately I can't see the photos, it it possible to post them in this thread, and I'll try and fix them up in the original review.
I have been waiting for this watch myself for about 1 month now, and I will have it within the next 48 hours, so your review was very timely for me
A couple of things.
I'm happy to hear that you were able to get the COSC report, I'd love to do that too for my watch, if I can.
Also, I was interested to hear that you can't change the bezel insert but have to replace the whole bezel. So my question is if I want the style of bezel insert that goes on the white dial for my black dial GMT will I be able to do so, or will I have problems? Are Omeaga as strict as Rolex about changing bezel inserts?
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2007, 11:54 PM   #8
Perdu
"TRF" Member

I'll try posting the pictures again. You can sometimes see the white dial come up on timezone. It has an all brushed finish whereas the black version is polished.

Omega will send you the COSC certificate if you email Omega customer service. They will want a copy of your warranty with the watch serial number, but you can scan it in or fax it. You can replace the bezel. Omega won't do it for you (like Rolex they won't switch the bezel), but you can buy the replacement for about $180 dollars from otto frei. If you order it from Omega, be sure to tell them you have the white version. One other thing. The Omega is 41mm, just 1mm larger than the Rolex, but it wears a lot larger and you can immediately see the difference.

Thanks for the kind comments guys.

http://www.pbase.com/gsl007/product_shots__temp
Old 25 November 2007, 01:19 AM   #9
frostie
1,000,000th PostMember

Great review
frostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2007, 09:11 AM   #10
Lol-x
Facilitator

Thanks for the information Gary, looking forward to receiving mine tomorrow, got it for only $1,050 so I'm pretty happy about that compared to the $5,950 price tag of the GMTIIC
Old 25 November 2007, 09:20 AM   #11
Perdu
"TRF" Member

You're welcome, Steve. I just added a couple of scratches under a lug while changing my strap - I put on a black DeBeer. Well now it's christened. Let us all know what you think of it when it arrives. I think it's unbeatable for the price and you got an amazing deal. I assume it's not brand new!
Old 25 November 2007, 09:54 AM   #12
BLSampson
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Blue Submariner
This review is between two GMTs, which BTW is great, but the pics are of a GMT and a Sub
Old 25 November 2007, 10:01 AM   #13
Lol-x
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLSampson View Post
This review is between two GMTs, which BTW is great, but the pics are of a GMT and a Sub
The review is about the Omega GMT that is all. The photos are of that watch only. There is no Sub in this review, have a look at the first post.
Old 25 November 2007, 10:50 PM   #14
TARDIS
"TRF" Member

There's no doubt...they are a beaut watch...when you can find one!

Cheers
Steve
TARDIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2007, 01:15 AM   #15
Perdu
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLSampson View Post
Good point. I could not figure out how to post my GMT photos so I gave a link to where I have the pictures hosted. I also have pics. of a sub. in that same gallery and they are nothing to do with the review.
Old 26 November 2007, 06:56 AM   #16
Ed Rooney
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller 16600
Good review. I have a need for a GMT and the Omegas are beautiful. I can stomach the price much more easily than a second Rolex.
Ed Rooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2007, 12:48 PM   #17
T5AUS
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the time go by
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post
Thanks for the information Gary, looking forward to receiving mine tomorrow, got it for only $1,050 so I'm pretty happy about that compared to the $5,950 price tag of the GMTIIC
Great price for a cool looking watch Steve. Did you find it in Melbourne for that price ?
T5AUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2007, 01:30 PM   #18
Lol-x
Facilitator

Daaayyyymmn, I got this watch 10 minutes ago and I am very very impressed!

Right off the top the leather box is awesome.

I'm off now to get the bracelet sized and I will let you guys know later.

Phil: No, got it from Japan, those prices quoted are AUD too first class service all the way, wish I could read what they wrote to me about (maybe it says 'made in China') (joke).

No kidding I'm really impressed.
Old 26 November 2007, 05:13 PM   #19
Lubrifar
Banned

Watch: for the signs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post
Daaayyyymmn, I got this watch 10 minutes ago and I am very very impressed!

Right off the top the leather box is awesome.

I'm off now to get the bracelet sized and I will let you guys know later.

Phil: No, got it from Japan, those prices quoted are AUD too first class service all the way, wish I could read what they wrote to me about (maybe it says 'made in China') (joke).

No kidding I'm really impressed.
Congrats Steve!

I've been loving my SMP 300M Ti since I got it couple weeks ago; you gonna love the comfort of the speedie bracelet once sized right. Now if the GMT is available in Ti with the Ti 300M style bezel in black waved dial without the white outline date box, I would be all over it.

We will require a show-and-tell when you get a chance. ;)
Lubrifar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2007, 05:17 PM   #20
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Excellent review, Gary.

Agreed!! For someone who has a limited budget, but still wants one helluva damn good watch, you can NEVER go wrong with the OMEGA GMT ones pictured above.

I've seen both, the black and white dials, in person.....and both are absolutely superb in looks, finish and overall quality.

Excellent discounts too are possible and as far as value for money goes, those two babies beat 'em all!!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2007, 07:46 PM   #21
Lol-x
Facilitator

I have just made a few quick pics before the sun goes down.
The dial is incredible on this watch the hands and lume are as clear as crystal.
The owners instruction manual is a hard bound volume.
The credit card pouch is soft white leather.
The inner box is also soft leather (red) with a steel crest.
I can't believe how good this watch is in terms of it's visual impact and value for money.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg redGMT.jpg (12.5 KB, 623 views)
File Type: jpg OmegaGMT1.jpg (91.2 KB, 626 views)
File Type: jpg OmegaGMT2.jpg (96.0 KB, 624 views)
Old 26 November 2007, 08:30 PM   #22
T5AUS
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the time go by
Looks fabulous Steve, and for just over a grand is incredibly good value
T5AUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2007, 08:55 PM   #23
frostie
1,000,000th PostMember

The black dial is really nice also
Old 27 November 2007, 04:00 AM   #24
Teofilo

Watch: 14060M,16710 PEPSI
I have never seen one in person. It looks like it hasnt got a fugly cyclops, which must be a huge bonus..............great looking watch.
Teofilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2007, 09:23 AM   #25
frostie
1,000,000th PostMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teofilo View Post
I have never seen one in person. It looks like it hasnt got a fugly cyclops, which must be a huge bonus..............great looking watch.
I saw one from close here at an AD. The watch looks great on photos but believe me in reality it looks even greater.
Old 27 November 2007, 09:39 AM   #26
Perdu
"TRF" Member

Here it is on a black strap (DeBeer Sports Leather 20/16). Really changes the look of the watch.

Sorry can't get this picture to show. I have it hosted on a photo site and I'm clicking the picture Icon and putting in the location address. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Last edited by Perdu; 27 November 2007 at 11:17 AM.. Reason: trying to post a picture
Old 27 November 2007, 09:41 AM   #27
frostie
1,000,000th PostMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perdu View Post
Here it is on a black strap (DeBeer Sports Leather 20/16). Really changes the look of the watch.
Where is the pic?
Old 27 November 2007, 11:19 AM   #28
Lol-x
Facilitator

Gary it seems that your host server for photos has problems with photos loaded onto other sites such as this site, as there have been a number of problems with your photographs showing on the forum, and you have linked correctly.
Some photo host companies do not allow links to photos to be placed on other web-sites and so that is where I think the problem is to be found.
Old 27 November 2007, 11:23 AM   #29
Perdu
"TRF" Member

Thanks Steve, I'll call pbase. BTW, I'm pleased you like the GMT. Personally I think you can't beat it. So far, I'm really impressed.
Old 27 November 2007, 01:45 PM   #30
Lol-x
Facilitator

Straight out of the mailbox, this watch was operating without ever having to be manually wound. I've had this watch on for 24 hours now and it has gained 2 seconds, well within chronometer specifications.
The lume at night is like a beacon.