The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 18 May 2017, 04:15 PM   #1
WWCO
"TRF" Member

Watch: Not enough
Rolex quality vs AP quality

Look away now Rolex purists! I recently had the very fortunate experience of trying on a few AP peices with the view of buying the ROO Diver and I'm afraid to say that personally I feel the quality of the AP's (and I tried a variety of pieces, RO chronograph, ROO Chronograph, ultra thin RO, and even a concept) all which seem by far better quality than any Rolex I have ever tried on and hate to say it but my GMT doesn't feel the same anymore after having an AP on my wrist. Would love to hear you thoughts and if anyone has had the same experience.
WWCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2017, 04:20 PM   #2
harvey
"TRF" Member

Jack how much was the AP that you are comparing to your GMT?
harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2017, 04:41 PM   #3
wytrader
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD
Grab the popcorn guys this thread is going to be good
126610LV
wytrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2017, 04:53 PM   #4
rolexnub
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing TRF
Do whatever makes you happy brother. If you're not happy with Rolex anymore then switch to AP.
rolexnub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2017, 04:55 PM   #5
ivanos
"TRF" Member

After you own it and have carried it for some time things may become different.

(popcorns grabbed, too)
ivanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2017, 04:58 PM   #6
wytrader
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD
Quote:
Originally Posted by WWCO View Post
my GMT doesn't feel the same anymore after having an AP on my wrist.
Can you specify what it is in the GMT that you feel could be qualitatively improved or what it is you feel is lacking?
126610LV
wytrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2017, 05:32 PM   #7
PoorButHappy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116503
AP's finishing is a notch above Rolex. There is no denying that the dial on the AP pops up a lot more than any Rolex even Patek for that matter.

I used to own a Panda and I can attest to that. But the servicing fees are a killer. I could easily service two of my Rolexes for the price of servicing my AP ROO.

I quickly sold off my Panda complete with 2 years service warranty after it came back from AP Singapore..
PoorButHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2017, 05:35 PM   #8
G'ed
"TRF" Member

Let me chime in with my 2cents.

I flipped my 116600 and moved up to AP 15710, the white diver.

First impression, it's a step above Rolex in term of finishing and detailing. Everything exude quality and it feel like you are dealing with expensive jewelry albeit it look like a tool, unlike toolish-jewelry fit/finish of Rolex, if that term exist. AP 90% jewelry, 10% tool while modern 6 digits ref Rolex 65% jewelry, 35% tool. Just IMO.

Rolex fit and finish are great but not on par with AP. It's different level.
G'ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2017, 05:48 PM   #9
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Look away now Rolex purists! I recently had the very fortunate experience of trying on a few AP peices with the view of buying the ROO Diver and I'm afraid to say that personally I feel the quality of the AP's (and I tried a variety of pieces, RO chronograph, ROO Chronograph, ultra thin RO, and even a concept) all which seem by far better quality than any Rolex I have ever tried on and hate to say it but my GMT doesn't feel the same anymore after having an AP on my wrist. Would love to hear you thoughts and if anyone has had the same experience.
Simple answer sell your Rolex and buy a AP myself not a fan of any of the RO range great movements but dont like there style.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2017, 06:01 PM   #10
jackal981
"TRF" Member

Watch: RM FPJ PP AP R
Own both and must say AP finishing, feel and presence are above Rolex. After trying AP the Rolex seems so......plain

However for daily wear and maintenance Rolex win hands down. What a durable workhorse
jackal981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2017, 06:03 PM   #11
ivanos
"TRF" Member

Really. Then you shall try more. Patek? Lange? VC? Why AP?
ivanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2017, 06:30 PM   #12
Hotrod297
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
research the service requirements for AP. You may think twice about getting one.

But yes, they do feel of higher quality. Tried one a ton, but never owned one. But my best friend does own one (RO). He say's They're not as durable as a rolex. Thus, look into the service requirements.
Old 18 May 2017, 06:52 PM   #13
WWCO
"TRF" Member

Watch: Not enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey View Post
Hi Harvey, I tried on a variety of AP's ranging from 16k to the concept at 140k and all of them felt much much better quality. However I noticed a lot of people are mentioning the service cost of an AP which is something I didn't take into consideration. Does anyone have an exact figure?
WWCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2017, 08:38 PM   #14
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
When I got my PP 5712, couldn't stand the lack of comfort of my Rolexes and Pams, had 4 and 3, sold all
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2017, 08:58 PM   #15
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Not an AP fan and I believe that you have to see the watches based on price. Fit and finish on a 20K watch will typically be better, not all the time, of a 9K watch. I think it as much about value as anything. Look at the price of the AP new, then look at the flip price to a TS, then look at what you could sell it for yourself. Look at service cost and times for repairs. All of that goes into the formula for me that helps me make decisions based on what I like and what I can retain value in. But I am not above buying for passion and desire. I did it with a Range Rover even though my research said stay away. My research was right and I took a beating. I would say lesion learned but I already knew the lesion first hand.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2017, 09:08 PM   #16
MrGMT
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega-Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey View Post
I own a steel ceramic Rolex GMT and it's a great watch but I feel my omega speedy pro that's roughly half the price is better quality obviously it's only my opinion. Also tried of the ap diver a while ago and it really did feel better quality than anything I own. Plan to get a diver this year or else a pp aquanaut
MrGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2017, 09:13 PM   #17
Minimalist
"TRF" Member

Yes the finish of an AP is much nicer but it is also that much more delicate. The two are in different leagues really. I never thought I could wear my Rolex carelessly until I got my AP. After I bought my AP I realised just how durable and reliable the Rolex is. I love both just as much though, each has its own merits.
Minimalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2017, 10:03 PM   #18
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
However I noticed a lot of people are mentioning the service cost of an AP which is something I didn't take into consideration. Does anyone have an exact figure?
Prices are stated on the AP website, in CHF.
Basically, you’re looking at RSC + 50%.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2017, 10:21 PM   #19
Rachdanon
"TRF" Member

I am wondering whether the comments on the delicate nature of the APs are founded... at least for the common 3120 movement.
Rachdanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2017, 10:49 PM   #20
Rolex addict
Banned

Watch: me crash my bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotrod297 View Post
research the service requirements for AP. You may think twice about getting one.

But yes, they do feel of higher quality. Tried one a ton, but never owned one. But my best friend does own one (RO). He say's They're not as durable as a rolex. Thus, look into the service requirements.
It depends on the model, just like with Rolex. I received a quote for $800 to service my AP 15400. That's about $100 more than a service on any of my SS subs. The Daytona is a tad more. I believe around $1200 on the SS model. The service and crystal replacement on my Smurf was $1190. That was done about 3 months ago. Like I've always said, if the money for service and upkeep is an issue, then a very expensive luxury watch may not be for you. After all, these are luxury items.
Rolex addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2017, 11:19 PM   #21
ezinhk
"TRF" Member

Benz vs Bentley
ezinhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2017, 12:30 AM   #22
singe89
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & Patek
Same thing happened to me when I got my SS diver 5 years ago. Kept a few Rolexes but have only purchased APs since. I wear a rolex every now an then but they just don't appeal to me as much as AP. Tied Patek too and while I love the brand the models just don't speak to me as much on the wrist. Got to the point in collecting that I'm going to buy what gives me the most enjoyment, wear it daily and not worry about it.

APs are not fragile either. I've worn my FC diver more than any watch I've ever owned and it still looks brand new. Service costs are slightly more than rolex but what's a few hundred $ moere every 5 to 7 years when you're buying $20k+ watches? Plus you get the best customer service in the business with APSC Clearwater and AP as a company has some amazing perks for good customers. The only other brand that has my attention is RM but even then I think I would pay a little more and go with an AP concept because of brand history and how well AP has treated me.
singe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2017, 12:44 AM   #23
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
I'm a new AP owner and have to say, I skipped Rolex entirely (for now.... there are a couple I want). However, like many I have definitely tried on more than a few and simply compared the AP and Rolex before I came to a decision. As well, I own a couple modern Omegas like the Speedy Moonwatch. Might risk sounding blasphemous on a Rolex form but the finishing on the Rolex and Omega as well as the durability are on the same level (I'm not using a brand to brand comparison but talking about a tier. Just like one would compare and rank a Mercedes with a BMW or Audi).

I can clearly see the details and craftsmanship of the AP like a Lamborghini (flashy, higher end, and "pain" to keep clean haha). IMHO there is a clear difference and I've neglected some of other watches after buying the AP. You just want to drive that super car everyday versus just a luxury sports car.

And servicing, just like buying a Lambo.... you're paying for $5000 services and not your $500-800 services at Mercedes.

Just my two cents... I'm sure some is going to say Rolex is king, etc., etc.
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2017, 12:49 AM   #24
harvey
"TRF" Member

Think you should compare watches within a similar price. Comparing a 6k ROLEX with a 16k AP is just plain silly.
Old 19 May 2017, 12:50 AM   #25
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quality is not the word I would use personally. Both are high quality watches, AP are fininshed to a much higher level than Rolex watches. I would argue Rolex has more iconic and timeless designs but that's my opinion.

They are my two favorite brands largely because I prefer "sports" watches.

I've been around the block from AP to PP to ALS and back and every year the brand I'm most excited to see present at Basel/SIHH is Rolex hands down.
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2017, 12:54 AM   #26
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nastie View Post
I'm a new AP owner and have to say, I skipped Rolex entirely (for now.... there are a couple I want). However, like many I have definitely tried on more than a few and simply compared the AP and Rolex before I came to a decision. As well, I own a couple modern Omegas like the Speedy Moonwatch. Might risk sounding blasphemous on a Rolex form but the finishing on the Rolex and Omega as well as the durability are on the same level (I'm not using a brand to brand comparison but talking about a tier. Just like one would compare and rank a Mercedes with a BMW or Audi).

I can clearly see the details and craftsmanship of the AP like a Lamborghini (flashy, higher end, and "pain" to keep clean haha). IMHO there is a clear difference and I've neglected some of other watches after buying the AP. You just want to drive that super car everyday versus just a luxury sports car.

And servicing, just like buying a Lambo.... you're paying for $5000 services and not your $500-800 services at Mercedes.

Just my two cents... I'm sure some is going to say Rolex is king, etc., etc.
Except it's nowhere near that. Your looking at around 1.5-2x more for a watch that costs that much more. Also, you'll get much better service than RSC, sort of like going to a Lexus dealer instead of a chevy dealer.
Old 19 May 2017, 01:00 AM   #27
peterpl
Banned

Compare a 44mm RG AP ROO and a Rolex Skydweller RG full bracelet.

You will find they are on par with each other in terms of fit, finish, and feel. My SkyD feels better actually in terms of finish - it shines and has a more of a wow factor than my 44MM ROO. You need to compare like for like.

Dont compare a $7k Rolex to a $20k ROO - its not a fair comparison. I've also had numerous AP ROOs and honestly they dont feel that special.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2017, 01:08 AM   #28
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpl View Post
Compare a 44mm RG AP ROO and a Rolex Skydweller RG full bracelet.

You will find they are on par with each other in terms of fit, finish, and feel. My SkyD feels better actually in terms of finish - it shines and has a more of a wow factor than my 44MM ROO. You need to compare like for like.

Dont compare a $7k Rolex to a $20k ROO - its not a fair comparison. I've also had numerous AP ROOs and honestly they dont feel that special.
Old 19 May 2017, 01:08 AM   #29
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Except it's nowhere near that. Your looking at around 1.5-2x more for a watch that costs that much more. Also, you'll get much better service than RSC, sort of like going to a Lexus dealer instead of a chevy dealer.
Maybe I'm off on the service bill between the two. But regardless there is price difference that is apparently noticeable if people are bringing it up as consideration. Which in the grand scheme of things is justifiable between an AP and Rolex. Kind of expected as the brand is clearly different.

Hands down most watch services even a non factory watchmaker typically has better servicing than any car dealership you bring your car to. Even if it's a higher car brand. It's the nature of the industry. The attention to detail at watch service centre is higher.
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2017, 01:10 AM   #30
peterpl
Banned

44mm Ap roo vs a Rolex SkyD RG is a much better comparison than a $7k SS Rolex vs a $25k ROO.

I own both the AP and Rolex and to me the Rolex feels better in both fit. finish and feel. Not to mention one of my markers on the AP looks to be slightly crooked.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote