The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 9 September 2012, 01:00 PM   #1
jchk2008
"TRF" Member

cal. 3135 oilchart

recently bought a 16233 u series un-used that needs a little oiling job, have done it, now the amplitude is 289 degrees and +2 secs/day face up, positional error 8secs, but have just joined the forum and noticed from the 3035 oilchart that mentioned not to oil the axil of the escape fork....which i did lube on the jewel hole with little 9010 all the time!, question is, should i lube it or not?, serious mistake? have to re-do it? cause i can't find oil-chart for 3135, pls kindly advice me... thanks :)
jchk2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2012, 02:23 PM   #2
Lt.Arclight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 214270
Never oil the pallet fork-on any movement. You won't find an oilchart online like some of the Eta calibers.

IMO, there is no such thing "as a little oiling job". Right now 289 degrees isn't bad- assuming you have the correct lift angle. You are vague as to exactly what the positional errors are but my guess is that should keep reasonably good time in daily wear. It is very poor practice to "just oil" a movement. It should be completely disassembled,cleaned,reassembled then regulated. Trying to oil various exposed jewels is foolhardy and could be harmful.

To "re-do it" would require you to remove the balance, to remove the fork. If that is done with ANY tension in the barrel that is going to result in destroying the going train as it spins when the escape wheel is released from the pallet fork-possibly destroying a pallet as well.

My advice is if you aren't VERY VERY well versed in automatic movement overhaul as well as other bench practices-----JUST SAY NO.

I've serviced hundreds of Rolex movements and find them to be very maintenance friendly. It isn't prudent to play watchmaker....unless you are one.
Lt.Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2012, 04:19 AM   #3
Rikki
TechXpert

Watch: 5512 s/s Sub
Amen brother
Rolex Parts Account Holder.
Rikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2012, 08:41 AM   #4
jchk2008
"TRF" Member

Thank you for giving me the truth in real life, i've followed the eta and seiko oil charts for the passed few years!, as well as many 'pro' watch makers do so in Hong Kong! that's bad..., watch making is my hobby as i don't do it for money, but i do treat it seriously, serve mostly my own watches and ocationlly for some of my friends, i used 'a little oiling job' to discript the work, cause the previous owner kept the watch in bank's save box from 1988 till now,never used. i'm the guy who removed the protection tapes and label, felt a little stiffness on adjusting time, so just need to disassembled the movement, clean up and oil. i did the full routine, and to say 'overhaul' is just a little too much for it..

been working on various eta's 70xx,24xx,27xx,28xx,77xx, omega's 56x,6xx,10xx, seiko's 42xx,52xx,611x,613x,7xxx,4s,6r,8f,9f rolex 1570,2035,3035,3135 and many others since early 90's , so stripping them down, reassemble & regulate are of no problem for me :)

just the silly thing i have done all the time is to lube the pallet fork axil, that watch makers who taught me to do so from the whole begining , one from the seiko sc and one from omega..... i'll try to see the different of lube or not on next eta and seiko, but for coming rolexes, i'll follow with your confirmation on leave it clean and dry, your're the pros... thanks :)

btw, i set lift angle on 52, i think it's right on rols, and bad news is i'll be busy on weekends in the coming month or two to get all my 3xxx re-done..

thanks all trfs :)
jchk2008 is offline   Reply With Quote