The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 26 May 2018, 08:01 PM   #2881
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Maybe not a fabulous looking but not bad for a boot if you ask me.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2018, 04:18 AM   #2882
belk7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
Did someone say kudu? G&G does amazing things with kudu.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
Do you mean something like these?

There they are........

I am going to have to do something with Kudu on my next purchase. These are fabulous.
belk7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2018, 05:18 AM   #2883
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by belk7 View Post
There they are........

I am going to have to do something with Kudu on my next purchase. These are fabulous.
I would recommend that you to get a view of the sample first. There can be a bit of variance depending on the tannery. Besides it never hurts to ask for a sample before you commit.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 27 May 2018, 12:10 PM   #2884
rouxeny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Congrats, and although I have only one pair of Vibergs and they are the Service Boots too. I’m a big Viberg fan

I don’t mean to be a downer but all of this is true. Bottom line is that often poorly fitting shoes are boots are either not worn or are resold as people discover better fitting options.

Pics, Pics, Pics, I am sure we would all like to see PICs.

pics pics
Entirely agree. Wore them with my thicker version of my usual work socks and they fit fine.
rouxeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2018, 10:51 PM   #2885
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rouxeny View Post
Entirely agree. Wore them with my thicker version of my usual work socks and they fit fine.
Good deal, glad to hear. Congrats again, Vibergs really make some great boots.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 28 May 2018, 03:00 PM   #2886
rouxeny
"TRF" Member

Had to figure out how to resize a photo.

I've only worn for a day or two, so far they seem very comfortable.

I could easily see owning multiple pairs....

Viberg Service Boots in Reindeer
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1782.jpg (272.1 KB, 205 views)
Old 29 May 2018, 12:29 AM   #2887
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Had to figure out how to resize a photo.

I've only worn for a day or two, so far they seem very comfortable.

I could easily see owning multiple pairs....

Viberg Service Boots in Reindeer
Great looking boots!!

I agree, but for me personally it’s just there are so many great options out there and by the time I got my first pair of Vibergs I already owned so many other boots it just wasn’t funny. Besides Viberg is one look and type of boot that there are other types of boots I need as well.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 29 May 2018, 01:51 PM   #2888
rouxeny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Great looking boots!!

I agree, but for me personally it’s just there are so many great options out there and by the time I got my first pair of Vibergs I already owned so many other boots it just wasn’t funny. Besides Viberg is one look and type of boot that there are other types of boots I need as well.

Can you give me some leads on other options? I’ve learned a lot from reading this thread.
Old 29 May 2018, 10:55 PM   #2889
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Can you give me some leads on other options? I’ve learned a lot from reading this thread.
I think it kind of depends on the style your looking for and that depends on what you typically wear. Viberg does make a great boot and there’s no doubt in my mind but I wouldn’t wear a pair of their boots with dress pants. But even if you think button boots are stylelish if you find yourself always wearing jeans button boots are probably not for you. This is more extreme but the same can be said for any kind of footwear that can be considered more formal or extremely casual and they just don’t typically work well with the wrong wardrobe. Personally my wardrobe consist of everything from suits to extremely casual so to complete my wardrobe I have a number of everything from dress to extremely casual.

Budget and what your willing to spend will also determine what options are possible. Some may balk at paying what it cost for a pair of Redwings where others have no problems paying for what it would cost for a pair of Edward Green. You’ve already exhibited that your willing to pay more than what it would cost for a pair of Redwings but are you willing to pay what it cost for a pair of Edward Greens and would style be even attractive to you. Then again there are numerous shoemakers between what you can get from Redwing to Edward Green or something like John Lobb. Thing is the fan boys for one shoemaker or the other will typically tout the benifits of one vs another. The key for you is finding not only the style you like but also one which has the Last or Lasts that work best for you and the price range your comfortable with.

My recommendation would be to start checking out what all is possible and go from there. I think you can either spend a little or a lot of time doing this. Personally there are things I spend more time than others on but generally the more time I spend the more I get out of something. I could and I am willing to make a number of recommendations but what I have discovered is that if someone goes through and does their own homework the’ll generally discover for themselves what works best for them.

What I discovered with regards to all my likes, dislikes, and requirements is that English shoemakers made the shoes and boots which were the most attractive to me and more importantly I also found Lasts which fit. Because if it don’t fit then you can forget it. I mean initially I thought Allen Edmonds and then Alden where great shoes and boots. Well they do make shoes and boots that are solid but there are better shoemakers out there and besides most of their Lasts are fairly blobby in appearance.

There’s a periodical that used to come out yearly called the Parisian Gentleman Shoe Review. It covers a number of shoemakers by no means all of them but gives you a good idea what is out there. There are a few forums of which I think the Styleforum which have a thread devoted to a good number of shoemakers to include Viberg which is an extremely good source of information. However mining it for good and useful information can take a bit of patience considering there are a good number of posts in the thread which are not.

Short answer Crockett and Jones is an English Shoemaker of comparable cost to Viberg but if your willing to pay more strongly consider Edward Green, Gaziano and Girling, John Lobb, or St Crispins. Vass for somewhat less than Edward Green but trickier in more respects given their funky Lasts, and Trickers for extremely casual and are more comparable cost wise to Viberg.

Thing is as with anything there is everything from lower tier Allen Edmonds to more mid tier Crockett and Jones to high tier like John Lobb, Edward Green and so on. Understanding what you get and what you won’t get for the price of admission. For one I can probably not expect my Edward Greens to last any longer than my Allen Edmonds, but I’ll bet you at the end of the journey those Edward Greens age and look better. Besides more attractive Lasts, closer attention to detail, better leathers, and better finishing.

I hope some of this was helpful please let me know if you have any questions.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 30 May 2018, 02:06 AM   #2890
rouxeny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I think it kind of depends on the style your looking for and that depends on what you typically wear. Viberg does make a great boot and there’s no doubt in my mind but I wouldn’t wear a pair of their boots with dress pants. But even if you think button boots are stylelish if you find yourself always wearing jeans button boots are probably not for you. This is more extreme but the same can be said for any kind of footwear that can be considered more formal or extremely casual and they just don’t typically work well with the wrong wardrobe. Personally my wardrobe consist of everything from suits to extremely casual so to complete my wardrobe I have a number of everything from dress to extremely casual.

Budget and what your willing to spend will also determine what options are possible. Some may balk at paying what it cost for a pair of Redwings where others have no problems paying for what it would cost for a pair of Edward Green. You’ve already exhibited that your willing to pay more than what it would cost for a pair of Redwings but are you willing to pay what it cost for a pair of Edward Greens and would style be even attractive to you. Then again there are numerous shoemakers between what you can get from Redwing to Edward Green or something like John Lobb. Thing is the fan boys for one shoemaker or the other will typically tout the benifits of one vs another. The key for you is finding not only the style you like but also one which has the Last or Lasts that work best for you and the price range your comfortable with.

My recommendation would be to start checking out what all is possible and go from there. I think you can either spend a little or a lot of time doing this. Personally there are things I spend more time than others on but generally the more time I spend the more I get out of something. I could and I am willing to make a number of recommendations but what I have discovered is that if someone goes through and does their own homework the’ll generally discover for themselves what works best for them.

What I discovered with regards to all my likes, dislikes, and requirements is that English shoemakers made the shoes and boots which were the most attractive to me and more importantly I also found Lasts which fit. Because if it don’t fit then you can forget it. I mean initially I thought Allen Edmonds and then Alden where great shoes and boots. Well they do make shoes and boots that are solid but there are better shoemakers out there and besides most of their Lasts are fairly blobby in appearance.

There’s a periodical that used to come out yearly called the Parisian Gentleman Shoe Review. It covers a number of shoemakers by no means all of them but gives you a good idea what is out there. There are a few forums of which I think the Styleforum which have a thread devoted to a good number of shoemakers to include Viberg which is an extremely good source of information. However mining it for good and useful information can take a bit of patience considering there are a good number of posts in the thread which are not.

Short answer Crockett and Jones is an English Shoemaker of comparable cost to Viberg but if your willing to pay more strongly consider Edward Green, Gaziano and Girling, John Lobb, or St Crispins. Vass for somewhat less than Edward Green but trickier in more respects given their funky Lasts, and Trickers for extremely casual and are more comparable cost wise to Viberg.

Thing is as with anything there is everything from lower tier Allen Edmonds to more mid tier Crockett and Jones to high tier like John Lobb, Edward Green and so on. Understanding what you get and what you won’t get for the price of admission. For one I can probably not expect my Edward Greens to last any longer than my Allen Edmonds, but I’ll bet you at the end of the journey those Edward Greens age and look better. Besides more attractive Lasts, closer attention to detail, better leathers, and better finishing.

I hope some of this was helpful please let me know if you have any questions.
Thanks for the comprehensive reply! I laughed at the beginning, I bought these boots specifically to be my work dress shoes! But I suppose typical work dress here is more what would be called business casual on the Mainland.

I’ll go down the shoe rabbit hole and see what comes up. This is pretty much the top end of what i’m Interested in spending on a shoe.
Old 30 May 2018, 05:06 AM   #2891
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks for the comprehensive reply! I laughed at the beginning, I bought these boots specifically to be my work dress shoes! But I suppose typical work dress here is more what would be called business casual on the Mainland.

I’ll go down the shoe rabbit hole and see what comes up. This is pretty much the top end of what i’m Interested in spending on a shoe.
Actually it seems buisness casual tends to mean different things to different people and it’s not always dependent on location but also profession as well it seems.

Anyway there are still other options and shoemakers within that price range that would still be a good match for you and your wardrobe and your budget. Although Viberg is an excellent choice you may still want to check out other options such as Trickers and Truman Boots. Truman is a newer smaller brand which has experienced some growing pains but their style is very close to that of Viberg.

If you ever go a bit more dressy Crocket and Jones has some options which are fairly close in price to that of Viberg.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 30 May 2018, 01:47 PM   #2892
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Work dress boots on Maui????

Brah, I thought ya’ll wore slippahs to work!

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2018, 11:26 AM   #2893
rouxeny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasoninDenver View Post
Work dress boots on Maui????

Brah, I thought ya’ll wore slippahs to work!
I have occasionally operated in slippahs, but some kind of decent shoe is much more preferable.
Old 31 May 2018, 12:45 PM   #2894
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
My new Rossettis

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 31 May 2018, 07:34 PM   #2895
Rolex Essex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona, DJ & Sub
My Gucci shoes

Rolex Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2018, 11:14 PM   #2896
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I have occasionally operated in slippahs, but some kind of decent shoe is much more preferable.
You should check out Leather Soul in Honolulu next time you are over.

Be warned, English boots are a dangerous addiction.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2018, 11:30 PM   #2897
leooooo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What I discovered with regards to all my likes, dislikes, and requirements is that English shoemakers made the shoes and boots which were the most attractive to me and more importantly I also found Lasts which fit. Because if it don’t fit then you can forget it. I mean initially I thought Allen Edmonds and then Alden where great shoes and boots. Well they do make shoes and boots that are solid but there are better shoemakers out there and besides most of their Lasts are fairly blobby
Agree with almost everything you said except I'll throw in, am a fan of Corthay (French) in addition to the English shoe makers.

And another point of contention, Alden and AE are not in the same league. Alden has still strictly stuck with Horween and American made products. Dainite (British?). Quality control is also tighter with Alden. AE has already embraced Chinese made leather and soles and is reflected in the prices. Some models of Alden are consistently sold out during the pre-order phase (not even made yet) vs AEs consistently being offered in sales sections and they have multiple outlets for shoes with defects, etc.
Old 2 June 2018, 02:01 AM   #2898
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leooooo View Post
Agree with almost everything you said except I'll throw in, am a fan of Corthay (French) in addition to the English shoe makers.

And another point of contention, Alden and AE are not in the same league. Alden has still strictly stuck with Horween and American made products. Dainite (British?). Quality control is also tighter with Alden. AE has already embraced Chinese made leather and soles and is reflected in the prices. Some models of Alden are consistently sold out during the pre-order phase (not even made yet) vs AEs consistently being offered in sales sections and they have multiple outlets for shoes with defects, etc.

I’ve looked at Corthay and seriously considered a few pairs from time to time. However from what I’ve read their lasts are fairly sleek and more narrow. That very possibly would be an issue for me. Also from what I’ve read their shoes are known for fair weather wear and not so much for hard wearing. Maybe best for the carpet but not so much for the road.

AE probably makes more GoodYear shoes than any other shoemaker. Good solid shoes but since they produce so many they simply can’t and don’t catch all of their mistakes. However their customer service is more than willing to swap them out as many times as it takes to get you a good one.

I’ve read that Alden makes their own share of mistakes. But yes based on my own experience I consider their shoes a notch above what AE makes as I think most do although there are those that still care more for the style of shoes AE makes over those that Alden makes.

I don’t think there are many shoes AE isn’t willing to mass produce in great number where it seems Alden has always had a good number which have always been limited releases.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 2 June 2018, 02:10 AM   #2899
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
I’ve looked at Corthay and seriously considered a few pairs from time to time. However from what I’ve read their lasts are fairly sleek and more narrow. That very possibly would be an issue for me. Also from what I’ve read their shoes are known for fair weather wear and not so much for hard wearing. Maybe best for the carpet but not so much for the road.

AE probably makes more GoodYear shoes than any other shoemaker. Good solid shoes but since they produce so many they simply can’t and don’t catch all of their mistakes. However their customer service is more than willing to swap them out as many times as it takes to get you a good one.

I’ve read that Alden makes their own share of mistakes. But yes based on my own experience I consider their shoes a notch above what AE makes as I think most do although there are those that still care more for the style of shoes AE makes over those that Alden makes.

I don’t think there are many shoes AE isn’t willing to mass produce in great number where it seems Alden has always had a good number which have always been limited releases.
I tried on every last Corthay has and none fit me. Which was a bit of a disappointment. They have some nice offerings.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2018, 02:16 AM   #2900
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
I have 4 pairs of Corthay and all of them are holding up quite well. But I don't walk a lot on concrete since I live in Texas and drive everywhere so YMMV. Also, I have 3x the amount in John Lobb shoes so everything gets rotated in and out.

If you ever go to Paris and into shoe making, I recommend getting a tour of the workshop.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2018, 02:27 AM   #2901
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I tried on every last Corthay has and none fit me. Which was a bit of a disappointment. They have some nice offerings.
Agreed, some were very appealing but I just figured they may not actually fit me that well.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 2 June 2018, 02:37 AM   #2902
crazymcmichael
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 114060, 216570
Quote:
i wear 30 bucks all stars with hole in the soles
crazymcmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2018, 02:38 AM   #2903
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Quote:
Go sur mesure! It's a shame that Pierre no longer does it and he has someone else doing bespoke for his company.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2018, 03:02 AM   #2904
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymcmichael View Post
i wear 30 bucks all stars with hole in the soles
And to think I either replace or repair my things when they no longer work.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 2 June 2018, 03:22 AM   #2905
crazymcmichael
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I like for myself a different style i think
Old 2 June 2018, 03:24 AM   #2906
crazymcmichael
"TRF" Member

Quote:
i really dislike clothing and shoes… Just a pair of all-stars or simple Adidas sneakers a simple black shirt and a jeans(jeans must be ok))) and every day a clean shirt of course. Now expensive jeanses i don't wear but levis
Old 2 June 2018, 03:25 AM   #2907
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:

AE also pumps out all kinds of different models some of which last only a few months and yes some that have been standards for years. But yes, they are willing to try almost anything and they often do,

But AE isn’t the only one to sell defects and these defects are actually called seconds. Even shoemakers such as Edward Green and John Lobb sell their defects and they sell them at a deep discount. Still more than a pair of AEs but at a discount. Quite often you may not be even able to tell what the defect is but they will be marked as seconds as well. The main difference being that shoemakers such as Edward Green and John Lobb catch a majority of their defects. Not all but a great majority of them.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 2 June 2018, 03:28 AM   #2908
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymcmichael View Post
i really dislike clothing and shoes… Just a pair of all-stars or simple Adidas sneakers a simple black shirt and a jeans(jeans must be ok))) and every day a clean shirt of course. Now expensive jeanses i don't wear but levis
Kind of got that. No matter even if I didn’t care for more well crafted items such as Rolex you don’t have to settle for things that are in disrepair or make one look like a slob.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 2 June 2018, 03:42 AM   #2909
leooooo
"TRF" Member

Cant speak to Corthay as being only fair weather wear as I treat all my Corthay, JL, and EG shoes as fair weather shoes only. In that regard, they have all held up well.

For the tougher NYC winters, I'll wear Aldens. Goodyear, commando sole, shell, chunky barrie lasts goes well with the heavier wool clothing
Old 2 June 2018, 04:11 AM   #2910
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Cant speak to Corthay as being only fair weather wear as I treat all my Corthay, JL, and EG shoes as fair weather shoes only. In that regard, they have all held up well.

For the tougher NYC winters, I'll wear Aldens. Goodyear, commando sole, shell, chunky barrie lasts goes well with the heavier wool clothing
Just something I heard about Corthay and I can’t confirm it. Vaguely remember something about leather being thinner or maybe even the finishing. It’s been awhile but it was a discussion in the Corthay thread on Styleforum.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons