The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 26 July 2012, 09:52 AM   #1
bobridley
TechXpert & 2024 Pledge Member

Preserving your valued watch with Seal Integrity

Seal integrity is an increasingly relevant vintage topic. I’ve touched on this concept with collectors in recent years because of the value of preserving dials, hands, and movements. As collectors/inheritors, our hope is that the watch will age gracefully… producing a patina that is pleasant to the eye as well a condition that will hold its own in the market place. I believe that by caring for the seal integrity can we have the greatest influence toward this desirable combination.

A watch is new only once, and over time the components will age. The aging process, however, is relative rather than constant. Now that we have been observing watches over decades, we can apply these observations to the ongoing care of vintage timepieces. With respect for the sentimental and intrinsic value of these watches, I suggest a long term approach.

The watch case itself is intended to function as a closed system; it should remain dry, lubricated, and clean – free of micro-particles and airborne contaminants. Any lack of seal integrity will allow elements of the environment into the watch. Moisture entry has a fairly predictable outcome. In addition, other elements – airborne micro-residues or toxins – have outcomes, although less predictable. Over time, such elements can cause premature aging – some of it damaging to the watch. They can affect the dial/hand conditions, as well as the condition of the movement. One could say that these elements are a “silent killer”.

The Silent Killer : Elements from the environment

While current technologies enable us to restore, repair, or correct most damage to the components of a movement, case, and bracelet, we have yet to arrive at a point where dials can be restored without affecting their market value. Simply put: when a dial is blemished, there’s no point of return. The dial plate can be refinished but the original finish is gone.

.................................Preserving the current condition of a dial for the next generation...............................

My focus in this discussion is to suggest ways to preserve the dial and hand components, in order to care for what is both precious and valuable.

We have all seen well-preserved dials and damaged dials. Sometimes it appears that there is no apparent logical cause as to why some dials age more quickly than others; however, this apparent random outcome is not a thorough observation. When we divide vintage watches into two broad categories, one category rarely shows dial/hand degradation (these watches have aged gracefully) while the other category reveals random levels of degradation (to a point where some are a blemish to the eye). So, which category of watches seldom degrades?

..................................Watches which have consistently remained sealed have the desired outcome..............................

I have personally never observed a painted watch component prematurely oxidize where the seal integrity was good. This is not to say that every mint dial was correctly maintained – some mint dials are preserved randomly even without seal integrity. Yet in a consideration of how to best preserve the current condition of one’s dial, it does seem relevant to consider that mint dials are less common. Why is this?

Most, if not all dials have been at least somewhat affected by exposure to the elements. From this point I make my recommendations regarding seal integrity. In my experience, the best way to ensure the preservation of your watch’s painted/lumed components is to maintain the correct sealing. To do otherwise exposes your prize vintage watch to a roulette wheel outcome where it is less likely to fare well.

........................... Care for it in the short run and it will care for you in the long run....................

In discussing this matter, we’ve sidestepped the broader issue of periodic service. Owners have varying opinions about service based on experience and personal preference. To proponents of the “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” thought, I’ll say “Okay. When it’s broke the watchmaker will fix it”. That is, one will fix what can be fixed. At this stage of vintage restoration, we do not have the same level of influence over dials and hands which we have over rusted and damaged movements. So, while you are placing great faith in the durability of your Rolex movements, we urge you to please consider protecting your increasingly fragile dials.

The specifics for ensuring seal integrity vary according to the case model. There are 3-5 entry ports in most wristwatches: Crystal, Case Tube/Winding Crown, Pushers, Valve (Sea Dwellers), and the Caseback. The seals in these areas do have a certain life expectancy and need to be periodically checked and replaced when necessary.

My current recommendation would be to have the seal integrity of your vintage watch tested. Determine whether or not there is current entry, and evaluate all possible points of entry to determine the need. Then, address the “soft spots” on an as-needed basis; replace components with an eye to maintaining the market value as well as enhancing integrity until the next scheduled maintenance. This process will greatly increase the likelihood of a watch that will age with grace.

Best regards,
Bob Ridley
Attached Images
File Type: jpg moisture-3.jpg (64.6 KB, 416 views)
File Type: jpg Panerai 3646.jpg (111.3 KB, 421 views)
File Type: jpg Aged Case Back gasket.jpg (40.5 KB, 421 views)
File Type: jpg 5510.jpg (42.9 KB, 421 views)
File Type: jpg 5512.jpg (48.8 KB, 418 views)
bobridley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2012, 10:08 AM   #2
azguy
Banned

Watch: ---------
Well, that was worth the price of admission
azguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2012, 10:23 AM   #3
Darlinboy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: :hctaW
Excellent info from an expert...

Thanks Mr. Bob Ridley.
Old 26 July 2012, 10:26 AM   #4
theloxmyth
Banned

Well put, thank you.

theloxmyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2012, 10:39 AM   #5
md543678

Watch: SS YatchMaster
Quick question how often would you say you should get the seals changed? Once a yeat, five?

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk 2
md543678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2012, 10:43 AM   #6
Michael M.
Banned

Very,very informative!! Really appreciate your insight on these matters!!
Michael M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2012, 11:43 AM   #7
cruvon
"TRF" Member

Great writeup Bob, thanks for sharing!

Last thing I remember, I was Running outta sight
I had to find the passage back,To the place I was before.
’Relax,’ said this Rolex place,We are programmed to receive.
You can checkout any time you like, But you can never leave!
cruvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2012, 11:47 AM   #8
bobbipiazza
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by md543678 View Post
Quick question how often would you say you should get the seals changed? Once a yeat, five?

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk 2
Couldn't get Bob away from the bench (imagine that!), but he replies...

...Seals are replaced at standard maintenance, at a designated time interval, or after inspection determines necessity. In general he recommends:

If the watch is used as a tool, check it yearly.

If it's a daily wear watch, check it every 3rd year.

If it's part of a collection, worn a few times a month, check it every 4-5 years.

If a significant impact occurs (against the crystal or winding crown), have it checked right away.

-Barbara
Client Coordinator, Watchmakers International
bobbipiazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2012, 11:58 AM   #9
cruvon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbipiazza View Post
Couldn't get Bob away from the bench (imagine that!), but he replies...

...Seals are replaced at standard maintenance, at a designated time interval, or after inspection determines necessity. In general he recommends:

If the watch is used as a tool, check it yearly.

If it's a daily wear watch, check it every 3rd year.

If it's part of a collection, worn a few times a month, check it every 4-5 years.

If a significant impact occurs (against the crystal or winding crown), have it checked right away.

-Barbara
Client Coordinator, Watchmakers International

Hi Barbara, thanks for that info. In addition to that what servicing intervals should we service vintages which have no waterproofing from new? For example vintages like older Rolexes maybe like the triple dates, vintage 806/809 Navitimers,etc. Can they still be sealed though not waterproof to prevent damage caused by general exposure to the elements(not water exposure)?

Last thing I remember, I was Running outta sight
I had to find the passage back,To the place I was before.
’Relax,’ said this Rolex place,We are programmed to receive.
You can checkout any time you like, But you can never leave!
cruvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2012, 03:16 PM   #10
Tijssan
"TRF" Member

Watch: this...
Great post - great questions!

Tijssan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2012, 10:17 PM   #11
ncstate1201
"TRF" Member

I appreciate the information thank you!

I love vintage Rolex/Tudor like most on here, the only thing I cannot get into are the rusted out dials, bubbling etc. Although I do find it strange that even though we know this is not a good thing and can attribute it to being a poorly maintained example, what I find strange about vintage Rolex in particular is how sometimes these command a premium. That will never make sense to me! Maybe it is like the idea of buying distressed blue jeans. Heck even the "spider dial" which was a Rolex paint defect makes me nervous, you never know if one day a giant flake will come off.
ncstate1201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2012, 10:32 PM   #12
Racer X
"TRF" Member

Thanks Bob. When you explained this to me a few weeks back in your workshop, it really opened my eyes. I'm glad you'll be taking the steps necessary to preserve my watch. By the way, when am I getting my watch back? Just kidding -- I'm in no rush!

I have a question I didn't ask you before. Many of us in the vintage community prefer watches with a nice patina on the hour markers. IMO, nothing is prettier than a well preserved watch with creamy tritium plots and hands. My question is: is the patina that many of us love the result of poor seal integrity? Is the color change actually damage in the same way a suntan (which people also appear to like) is actually damage? If so, it's interesting to note that many of us actually prefer lightly damaged watches.
Racer X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2012, 11:41 PM   #13
cdweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubLV, 1665 Rail
Great info!! Thanks for taking the time to post it
cdweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2012, 01:17 AM   #14
Kingair
"TRF" Member

Watch: Not enough ;-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobridley View Post

Best regards,
Bob Ridley
Dear Mr Ridley,

Bob,

This is actually the first post I read from you.
But may I congratulate you for the jobs you've done.
Amazing !

And thanks for the info

HAGOne

Kingair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2012, 01:34 AM   #15
rain_maker
Banned

Watch: 5513
A great read. Thank you.
rain_maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2012, 03:54 PM   #16
The Stig
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega Mk IV
Thank you for taking the time to write and post that interesting and informative piece.
Old 5 September 2012, 10:43 AM   #17
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Great info.

Might want to make this a sticky.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2012, 11:28 PM   #18
Davvan
"TRF" Member

Watch: out..make way!!
Great post....I will vivist my AD ASAP for testing the seals on my 6265.....
Old 6 September 2012, 12:54 AM   #19
lhanddds
Banned

Watch: of course
Thanks Bob for the great info
lhanddds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2012, 01:10 AM   #20
Silvio Mosiello
"TRF" Member

Watch: the shoes.
Great post Bob!
Silvio Mosiello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2012, 02:26 AM   #21
1Thunder1

I believe the patina is actually the burning of the tritium into the watch plots and hands over the years. many have mentioned it is due to darkness and mix with phosphorus, but I have to believe the fact that a watch is in a dark place and the tritium is constantly glowing has something to do with it. My thoughts

I know if i take a watch that no longer glows and place it in a box it doesn't change much, but if I take a watch that only glows ina dark room and leave it in a box for 6+ months it definitely changes color

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer X View Post
Thanks Bob. When you explained this to me a few weeks back in your workshop, it really opened my eyes. I'm glad you'll be taking the steps necessary to preserve my watch. By the way, when am I getting my watch back? Just kidding -- I'm in no rush!

I have a question I didn't ask you before. Many of us in the vintage community prefer watches with a nice patina on the hour markers. IMO, nothing is prettier than a well preserved watch with creamy tritium plots and hands. My question is: is the patina that many of us love the result of poor seal integrity? Is the color change actually damage in the same way a suntan (which people also appear to like) is actually damage? If so, it's interesting to note that many of us actually prefer lightly damaged watches.
1Thunder1 is offline   Reply With Quote