The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 1 August 2012, 07:02 AM   #1
JohnnyS.
Banned

How long for oils to dry?

I haven't been wearing my Datejust for a few weeks, after wearing it pretty much daily for over a decade. I know the oils can't dry up overnight--and will still dry out even with the watch running daily--but considering the watch was Rolex serviced a few years ago, how long does it take for the oil to dry, and harden if the watch is not worn?
JohnnyS. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2012, 10:55 AM   #2
Rikki
TechXpert

Watch: 5512 s/s Sub
No worries as long as it's a cool place safe or such you'll be fine for a year or so' Rik
Rolex Parts Account Holder.
Rikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2012, 10:57 AM   #3
roadcarver
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600
Question: If it is a daily wearer, will the service be 5 years? If it is not worn on a daily basis, will the service interval be longer?
Old 1 August 2012, 12:19 PM   #4
lja1821
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613ln
Ive had my TTsub since 97 never serviced but not worn everyday only occasionally, 3 months ago went to wear it and watchwouldnt start. CAlled rsc nyc and they said bring it in for service so i did and they fixed it and fully polished it now the watch runs great and looks brand new again, i almost wish i didnt wait so long. Its a bit pricey but def worth it, they recomment every 5 to 7 years anyway..
lja1821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2012, 01:46 PM   #5
JohnnyS.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikki View Post
No worries as long as it's a cool place safe or such you'll be fine for a year or so' Rik
Thank you, Rikki

I don't think I'll wait a year before strapping it on again, but it's good to know it can sit for some time before getting gummed up.

A hand wind Gruen has been getting some wrist time after being neglected for some months.
Old 2 August 2012, 01:47 PM   #6
JohnnyS.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peppe1019 View Post
Ive had my TTsub since 97 never serviced but not worn everyday only occasionally, 3 months ago went to wear it and watchwouldnt start. CAlled rsc nyc and they said bring it in for service so i did and they fixed it and fully polished it now the watch runs great and looks brand new again, i almost wish i didnt wait so long. Its a bit pricey but def worth it, they recomment every 5 to 7 years anyway..
That's the funny thing--lots of posters here say to wear it until it stops working, and then service; while many others say have it serviced religiously every 5 years. Your experience is interesting. Will you wait until it stops again, or go back in 5 years?
Old 3 August 2012, 02:11 PM   #7
roadcarver
"TRF" Member

Mine came up to 7 yrs and I heard and felt some rotor vibrations which was not experienced before on my SD.

I did not wait for my SD to stop before going for service. 3 more weeks to go before I pick her up again and back into the lineup.
Old 4 August 2012, 01:58 AM   #8
JohnnyS.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadcarver View Post
Mine came up to 7 yrs and I heard and felt some rotor vibrations which was not experienced before on my SD.
I did not wait for my SD to stop before going for service. 3 more weeks to go before I pick her up again and back into the lineup.
Interesting about the rotor vibrations, roadcarver. I guess that's Rolexs end-of-life indicator

Remember to post your experiences with Rolex Canada.
Old 4 August 2012, 02:49 AM   #9
roadcarver
"TRF" Member

I've had two Rolexes go through RSC Toronto and both pieces came back fantastic. Let's see if RSC Toronto can do 3 for 3!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyS. View Post
Interesting about the rotor vibrations, roadcarver. I guess that's Rolexs end-of-life indicator

Remember to post your experiences with Rolex Canada.
Old 16 September 2012, 12:49 PM   #10
lja1821
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613ln
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyS. View Post
That's the funny thing--lots of posters here say to wear it until it stops working, and then service; while many others say have it serviced religiously every 5 years. Your experience is interesting. Will you wait until it stops again, or go back in 5 years?
I think i will prob wait, it didnt harm the watch by waiting and i dont see the point of servicing your watch every 5 years if there is nothing wrong with it. I do have to say that the repolishing is def worth it, they make it look brand new again which is quite amazing and they warranty the watch for 2 years another plus.
lja1821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2012, 01:41 AM   #11
jatco
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116233/79190
After picking up my Tudor, I was told by the seller (..pawn shop owner) that he thought that it was serviced about a year ago.. It was running pretty fast.. So, while I was working in the neighborhood, I stopped by Norert Zerbes aka 'The German Watchmaker' to have him open it up a take a look. Turned out it was never serviced. No signs of service, screws never turned, no service markings and running about 70secs. So he made some (quite a few) adjustmens/regulating it to a much better rate. - Of course he suggested a service, which I will probably do in the fall.. after I and he returns from holidays...
So after 15yrs without care or service, the Tudor still functioned normally, tho ran fast..and showed signs of lube drying up.
Not bad, I guess, for a 15 year old watch...!!

' A Crown for every achievement '
jatco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2012, 02:34 AM   #12
ludicree
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sports 5+6
Today's synthetic hi-tec oils will last a long time.

In the end the service frequency is determined by the amount and style of usage.
Old 17 September 2012, 02:57 AM   #13
DCgator
"TRF" Member

Watch: DS,BLNR,SubLV,DJ2
Icon6

I have a tt Thunderbird serviced for the first time in Dec. 2011. The watch was worn only occasionally throughout the 20 years since I bought it in 1991 (R serial). There were no issues according to the AD watchmaker who performed the service.
DCgator is offline   Reply With Quote