The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 27 May 2018, 10:53 AM   #1
austinp
"TRF" Member

2 weeks in Australia.

When my neices and nephews graduate high school we take them on a trip wherever they want to go. The first 5, all chose different countries in Europe. Number 6 picked Australia. Ive never been. I would love some recommendations of places to go and things to do. What parts of the country should we focus on. My nephew is very adventurous. Loves the outdoors. Thanks in advance!

-Austin

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
austinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2018, 11:11 AM   #2
watchmavan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar 16570
2 weeks in Australia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinp View Post
When my neices and nephews graduate high school we take them on a trip wherever they want to go. The first 5, all chose different countries in Europe. Number 6 picked Australia. Ive never been. I would love some recommendations of places to go and things to do. What parts of the country should we focus on. My nephew is very adventurous. Loves the outdoors. Thanks in advance!

-Austin

Big country! Would help if you identify some areas, cities, states, bush, etc. Also interests.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
watchmavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2018, 11:19 AM   #3
austinp
"TRF" Member

He has mentioned climbing the Sydney Harbour Bridge and diving at the Barrier Reef. The trip will be June 2019. We have 2 weeks and really just want to do as many "must do" excursions Australia has to offer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmavan View Post
Big country! Would help if you identify some areas, cities, states, bush, etc. Also interests.

Old 27 May 2018, 11:35 AM   #4
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

A few things, Australia is as big as the US. It has about 5 major cities.

June is winter there, or almost winter so check out weather ahead of time.

I have been to Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and the Gold Coast. Since it’s winter the Gold Coast may not be that great.

I probably enjoyed Melbourne the best.
Blansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2018, 11:39 AM   #5
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Take me with you...
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2018, 11:43 AM   #6
watchmavan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinp View Post
He has mentioned climbing the Sydney Harbour Bridge and diving at the Barrier Reef. The trip will be June 2019. We have 2 weeks and really just want to do as many "must do" excursions Australia has to offer.

If you're wanting to climb Harbour Bridge the best time is at night. Can pre-book, suggest you do. The harbour is central to everything Sydney so worth staying on our close to. Sydney is a great city to see. Melbourne also great but June is cold and often wet. If he like AFL footy can strongly recommend going to a game hosted at the MCG.

Barrier Reef also great, probably be gone in 50 years. If going to Gold Coast don't stay at Surfers. It's a dive. Broadbeach much nicer. If you like the bush the Northern Territory is the place to see and June is wet season so not as arid.

Western Australia has some great spots as well. Swim with Whale Sharks at Ningaloo Reef. South Australia has great winery regions.

watchmavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2018, 11:49 AM   #7
zama
"TRF" Member

Watch: 4 Broken glass
Austin,

Welcome to our wide brown land, as noted the land mass is similar in size to the USA, all be it 92% of us live within 100 miles of the coast line. Could certainly give you something more detailed closer to time but as a guide:

1) 3 days in Sydney
2) 3 days on the barrier reef
3) 1 day in Darwin
4) 2 days on the Ghan
5) 3 days in Melbourne and the great Ocean road (see 12 apostles).

As someone who travels a lot around the world, I think you should also experience a major local sporting event or two just to understand the people better. That time of year will cover the major Rugby League event of the year the State of Origin, as well as the middle of the AFL season, a game at the MCG (home of the 1956 Olympics - one of the biggest stadiums on earth should be considered...... Things to see in Brisbane Adelaide and all up and down the WA coast but distance is always the challenge.

GAHN will show you the real outback
https://www.greatsouthernrail.com.au...springs-or-v-v

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_of_Origin_series

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melbourne_Cricket_Ground
zama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2018, 09:39 PM   #8
austinp
"TRF" Member

Thsnk you very much for the great information. We sre just starting to plan tge trip so this is very helpful.

Old 27 May 2018, 10:15 PM   #9
colpol
"TRF" Member

recommend planning & try to keep everyone happy

Sydney’s a great city in itself - plenty to do & see. I did a day trip to blue mountains, a trip across the bay to manly, went to one of the beaches & a lot of walking round the city. Also aquarium which at time was biggest in Southern Hemisphere. Did an overland trip to Canberra (not impressed) then up to Melbourne. Again a great city to see. Night before Melbourne- we went to Philip island to watch the penguins come in at night which was cool. Then flew to Cairns - did a full day rain forest safari, then 2 dives on barrier reef day after which again another full day trip. Then back to Sydney to spend last few days with a friend

Did 17 days & barely scratched surface so all in planning & what you want to do.

The weather might play a part the more south you go if looking for dry/ warm weather.
colpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2018, 01:57 AM   #10
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
i saw a documentary years ago about a guy named mick dundee who survived a crocodile attack and turned the croc into boots! he can also talk to buffalo and control animals. he's also a defender of kangaroo and hates poachers.

the place is called walkabout creek.

it looks like a fun place.

i'd check it out.

Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2018, 02:29 AM   #11
Galibier
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Best thing I did was sail around the Whitsundays.
Galibier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2018, 02:33 PM   #12
austinp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
i saw a documentary years ago about a guy named mick dundee who survived a crocodile attack and turned the croc into boots! he can also talk to buffalo and control animals. he's also a defender of kangaroo and hates poachers.

the place is called walkabout creek.

it looks like a fun place.

i'd check it out.

Yes. Mick is a legend but ran into some problems in NYC.

Old 23 June 2018, 08:44 PM   #13
OmegaJJH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by zama View Post
Austin,

Welcome to our wide brown land, as noted the land mass is similar in size to the USA, all be it 92% of us live within 100 miles of the coast line. Could certainly give you something more detailed closer to time but as a guide:

1) 3 days in Sydney
2) 3 days on the barrier reef
3) 1 day in Darwin
4) 2 days on the Ghan
5) 3 days in Melbourne and the great Ocean road (see 12 apostles).

As someone who travels a lot around the world, I think you should also experience a major local sporting event or two just to understand the people better. That time of year will cover the major Rugby League event of the year the State of Origin, as well as the middle of the AFL season, a game at the MCG (home of the 1956 Olympics - one of the biggest stadiums on earth should be considered...... Things to see in Brisbane Adelaide and all up and down the WA coast but distance is always the challenge.

GAHN will show you the real outback
https://www.greatsouthernrail.com.au...springs-or-v-v

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_of_Origin_series

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melbourne_Cricket_Ground
Excellent info from Craig and I have to agree

Travelled to Australia a lot so would highly recommend the Great Ocean Road and take in a game of Aussie rules in Melbourne or a game of 20/20 in Adelaide whilst the sun sets! Plus, plenty of AMAZING vineyards around Adelaide.

Sydney is must! Climbing the harbour bridge is expensive but well worth it! Plus - you get to dress up like a Thunderbird

I'd personally go in their summer! NYE in Sydney should be on everyone's bucket list

Either way, you'll have an amazing time

One other piece of advice - if you decide to go to Ayers Rock/Uluru (DON'T stay in Alice Springs!! )

And finally... Coopers Pale Ale in the sun...... HEAVEN!
OmegaJJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2018, 11:33 PM   #14
watchtabs
"TRF" Member

Just make sure you fly in a comfy seat. Hell, if you can, get a business class seat if first class is too much.

Your body will thank you!

watchtabs is offline   Reply With Quote