The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 7 April 2016, 11:33 PM   #1
Original Dunnie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 14060
93150 Issues..

Okay so I realize that everyone has a story or issue with these bracelets, and mine is probably no different.

Aside from having to bend the blades to get the clasp to close, like EVERYONE else, I am having issues with the divers extension. I cannot get the "second" part to snap into place. I ended up putting some pressure on the clasp from the small ends in an effort close it up, but to no avail. Like an idiot I broke out some rubber tipped pliers and ended up leaving two indentation marks on the clasp. I can live with it, we'll call it wabi-sabi.

But here is my main issue. The bracelet doesn't fit my wrist! One micro adjust is fine until my wrist swells, and the next is too loose for my liking. I can't constantly go back and forth because I have such an issue with securing the divers extension, which needs to be let out to make the micro adjustments.

Here's where things get crazy. I bought an after market oyster for around $75, and attached it using my Rolex endlinks....and low and behold, it fits perfectly. Not too tight, not too lose.

Am I crazy to run this cheap alternative? I certainly don't want people thinking I'm wearing a fake, but the aftermarket bracelet fit my wrist so much better. What should I do?

First world problems, I guess?

Any help is appreciated.

-CD
Original Dunnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2016, 01:06 AM   #2
michael067
Banned

Watch: TT DJ 16233
Never bought anything or put anything aftermarket on any of my Rolexes, but if it fits go with it.
michael067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2016, 04:48 AM   #3
2ar2c1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original Dunnie View Post
I bought an after market oyster for around $75, and attached it using my Rolex endlinks....and low and behold, it fits perfectly.

more people do this than is widely known.
2ar2c1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2016, 05:52 AM   #4
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

If you trust its integrity like the screws and pins then up to you. Not very different than people putting on rubber straps, NATOs, etc.
But not everyone has issues. Out of 20+ that I've owned I have yet to have bracelet problems.
But my wrists don't swell during the day either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2016, 06:19 AM   #5
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
I don't think the second part of the diver extension was ever intended to snap and hold firm in place, the 93250 had addressed that issue and is actually the reason I use a 93250 clasp on my 14060/93150... RSCNY will likely refuse to service my watch for the egregious violation of convenience/preference

Also, I never had experience needing to bend both blades, I have only adjusted one side over the many years I have had mine.

I once owned a non-closing clasp that had been bent and tweeked before I purchased it, I found it impossible to correct due to each blade being altered from original.

If you have found a solution that's great.

I have experienced some variety in the clasp stiffness from sub to sub, just as I have experienced different degrees of free play in the bezels.
Old 8 April 2016, 07:02 AM   #6
cjohns
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II
I had that same problem.If you don't use the extension just source a 78790 clasp off a GMT ,, same look and it worked for me.
NIB Sub ND SOLD,,Shouldn't have!!!Crap!
cjohns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2016, 01:01 PM   #7
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
I don't think the second part of the diver extension was ever intended to snap and hold firm in place, the 93250 had addressed that issue and is actually the reason I use a 93250 clasp on my 14060/93150... RSCNY will likely refuse to service my watch for the egregious violation of convenience/preference

. . .
That's correct. Only the rivet at the middle of the extension snaps into the second set of holes in the clasp, the rest dangles down..
Old 3 May 2016, 08:21 PM   #8
Blackdog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
That's correct. Only the rivet at the middle of the extension snaps into the second set of holes in the clasp, the rest dangles down..
Older versions of the 93150 clasp had a couple of indentations (punched square holes) just to hold the diver's extension in place. This one is ca. 1990.

Later versions of the clasp did not have these anymore and the extension just dangles down, like Tools said.

One word of caution about aftermarket bracelets: I have one of the supposedly better quality ones, and indeed it looks very well made and finished.
But it simply came apart on me while wiping it dry with a towel after a shower.

The connection between the first link and the small centerlink that attaches to the springbar was done by a hidden pin and collar system. Not a solid pin hammered in place as one would expect, just a collar inside the centerlink and two short pins on the sides.

I do not know about the rest of the bracelet, but is highly possible that it is all built in the same fashion.

Now, when well implemented, pins and collars can be very dependable, but can you really trust an unknown chinese factory selling what is basically a fake ?

Don't risk an expensive timepiece with aftermarket parts of unverifiable quality.
Blackdog is offline   Reply With Quote