The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 28 January 2010, 10:25 PM   #1
BASSETHOUNDS
Banned

Watch: 116520/660/710/334
I'm devastated , my 116520 got stolen .

NO , this is not a joke , my nearly new 116520 ( the one I swapped with my AD brother-in-law for my F-reg a couple of months ago ) has gone missing from my home . I did realize it was no longer where I was pretty sure where it should have been , on tuesday and started to pick my brain . I just got off the phone with a friend of mine , who's son sometimes comes and "dog sit" for us when we go away for day or two and we do not want to take them to the dog kennel just for one night . It seems that his son has owed up that a couple of "friends" had come along to feed the dogs that day and it now seems obvious that one ( or maybe my friends son himself ) went into our house and picked up the watch . I have to admit that it was not kept in a secure place , but there was no reason for any of them to go into my office space , let alone steal the watch . The story is that one of them needed to use the computer / internet to consult something urgently and all the others followed . My friend assured me that he will have the list of names of all those that came to my house that day by tonight . We will see what they have to say , I have agreed that I will not file an official complaint with the police if the watch gets back by tomorrow 12 am .
I will update as and when things happen .
BASSETHOUNDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2010, 10:32 PM   #2
Prince
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona/Sub/GMT/DJ
Very sorry to hear that, Tristan. Please DO keep us informed of this situation.
Old 28 January 2010, 10:33 PM   #3
kgglonghorn
"TRF" Member

that TOTALLY sucks. It seems like we cannot trust anyone anymore. I have a key lock on my office door at the house and then another key required to get into my file cabinet, but am soon getting a gun safe for just this type of thing. I hope your watch turns up in the condition it left.
kgglonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2010, 10:36 PM   #4
Mosco
"TRF" Member

Watch: I like to...
Tristan, man, I am so sorry..... It has to surface - if not, as tough as it sounds, you have to hold your son responsible, let it be a lesson that not everyone is your friend,

“A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance.” - Hunter S. Thompson
Mosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2010, 10:38 PM   #5
mcjp6
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513s
So sorry to hear your news Tristan. Can't imagine how you're feeling right now. Let us know how you go.
mcjp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2010, 10:39 PM   #6
Welshwatchman
"TRF" Member

I hope that it gets resolved tomorrow.

At the moment the burden of moral responsibility is with your friend and his son.
Old 28 January 2010, 10:40 PM   #7
Sonny Crockett

Watch: TT Yacht Master
Even in my house were it should be safe. I don't gamble, I always put my watch in a green Rolex pouch when I take it off and then hide it somewhere that only I know. This may sound crazy but I least the watch is safe. I hope you are able to recover your watch. I am sorry to hear this. I would be extremely pissed off!
Sonny Crockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2010, 10:43 PM   #8
BASSETHOUNDS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosco View Post
Tristan, man, I am so sorry..... It has to surface - if not, as tough as it sounds, you have to hold your son responsible, let it be a lesson that not everyone is your friend,
It is not my son , It is a friend's son . I did trust that kid , as he has done house sitting for us before and is great with the dogs . Obviously he did not chose the right friends himself or got badly influenced by them . Somewhere I'm sure I will be financially compensated by my friend if the watch does not find its way back to me , as he already realized that his son has something to do with it . The worst is the friction and bad air this is going to create between us . I'm calmly sitting this out but my wife is livid .
Old 28 January 2010, 10:49 PM   #9
Prince
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona/Sub/GMT/DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by BASSETHOUNDS View Post
...The worst is the friction and bad air this is going to create between us . I'm calmly sitting this out but my wife is livid .
Indeed, you are correct about that, Tristan. I hope you can continue to remain calm throughout. I would NOT be able to do that!
Old 28 January 2010, 10:50 PM   #10
zak98
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
jeeze. that is terrible..
Panerai PAM390
zak98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2010, 10:51 PM   #11
Ebruner
"TRF" Member

Watch: 118208
That is awful to hear I sure hope you get it back and your friendship continues. I hope you have it insured in case of the worst.

-Eddie
Old 28 January 2010, 10:52 PM   #12
camhabib
"TRF" Member

Wow, that is really unfortunate, sorry to hear about it. I wouldn't hesitate to involve the police. Children have a way (and know they do) of skirting around a parents discipline (leaving just one name off a list, not owning up to it, etc) but when the police are involved, it's a different matter. Best of luck in any case.
camhabib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2010, 10:54 PM   #13
everose

So sorry to hear about your problem!

I hope it is in your possession by tomorrow.

Let us know what happens.

You have more patience than me to wait until tomorrow!!!!!!
everose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2010, 10:57 PM   #14
Nicko
Banned

Shit !!! Lo siento man...Time to get to the police and file charges. Hey, if you can get the watch back without doing that then great, so hopefully the kids will be scared and cough it up....Mine sits here in my office when not on my wrist! In Spain it's mandatory! Damn man, I hope it gets resolved.

Nicko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2010, 10:57 PM   #15
Deep Sea
"TRF" Member

Watch: A Rolex or two
Use the threat of the police as leverage to get some answers NOW!

Also, I hope it was insured.
Deep Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2010, 11:01 PM   #16
Mosco
"TRF" Member

Watch: I like to...
Sorry Tristan, I am on my first cup of coffee, the entire post didn't sink in...

Martin is 100% right - theft is theft, involve the Police and see how quickly your watch resurfaces (hopefully). We are all pulling for you, mate, keep us updated.

You're a better man than me, I would be beyond livid. It shouldn't create static between you and your friend, if anything, he should be embarrassed.

“A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance.” - Hunter S. Thompson
Mosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2010, 11:01 PM   #17
Rich2putt
"TRF" Member

Watch: TOG, Exp ll white
Insurance is your best defense.........lost, stolen or damaged the insurance policy pays 100% of market value.
Rich2putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2010, 11:01 PM   #18
Casey VP-26
"TRF" Member

I hear your Pain, However I believe I would Report to police whatever happens, you might be able to save someone else this problem in the future. Best nof Luck.
Casey VP-26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2010, 11:06 PM   #19
ParisDakarBmw
Banned

Watch: 116610 Sub-C
As a police officer, I've seen this too many times. You should file a report immediatly. You can change your mind later as far as pressing charges, but the more time that passes, the worse it can be on your end. In Georgia this is a felony burglary. Someone entered your dwelling and commited a theft from inside. You should file something right now. If the detectives get this info,they could crack them like an egg. If you have no report, it's like it never happened.

Have the names, and serial number ready to give the police. Children may panick, and get rid of the watch. If they still have it, they will race to give it back. It's not your fault that the watch was stolen. My second concern is other things missing from the house. You may find something gone in 3 months that you haven't thought of yet. I'd be prepared to handle business for myself first, and the friendship will be fine. Your not blaming your friend, but those other clowns took your stuff! Like I said. No report, It didn't happen!
ParisDakarBmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2010, 11:09 PM   #20
ParisDakarBmw
Banned

Watch: 116610 Sub-C
Also be aware that the threat of using the police can backfire on you. Extortion is one common defense the people use to scare you away. The parents may have some slick attourney that will press charges in your direction. I wouldn't play nice. They aren't
ParisDakarBmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2010, 11:10 PM   #21
BASSETHOUNDS
Banned

Let's clarify one little thing : the "kids" as I refer to them are all over 18 I believe ( at least my friend son is nearly 19 ) also , I agreed with my friend to wait till tomorrow midday before going to the police . I will however go and see a real estate agent that I have an excellent business relationship with , he was before getting on the property sales bandwagon in spain , a very high up officer of the " mossos esquadra " The Cataluyna police force . Sure he will be able to direct me to the right officer to take charge of this matter if it comes to that .
Old 28 January 2010, 11:13 PM   #22
AWATCH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II
Sorry to hear, I had a similar situation many years ago, fortunately it worked out, I hope it does for you. Please keep us informed.

Al
AWATCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2010, 11:14 PM   #23
brkanand
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 4=YMDaytonaGMTHulk
I am sure you will be able to make one these kids confess to the crime.
brkanand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2010, 11:14 PM   #24
BASSETHOUNDS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich2putt View Post
Insurance is your best defense.........lost, stolen or damaged the insurance policy pays 100% of market value.
I doubt that the insurance would pay up in this case , I might have to simulate break in or something . No way I'm doing that .
Old 28 January 2010, 11:15 PM   #25
Renoir
"TRF" Member

So sorry to hear about this...
Renoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2010, 11:28 PM   #26
Evan614
"TRF" Member

Watch: out 4 Panerai bug
I would of had my friend and friend's son come to the house and have a stolen watch chat. And explain how the police will handle this. Then tell the son to go sit in the car while the two chat. Meanwhile while stewing in the car, he'd probably call the thief and tell him what's up. Have the son come back into the house, take the cellphone and see who he called. Bingo!!! Then get a full story from the son before going to the person he called.
Evan614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2010, 11:40 PM   #27
dardeca
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
Tristan - best of luck...I hope everything works out and the watch is safely returned.
dardeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2010, 11:40 PM   #28
Watch Professor
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIC; Sub Date
You will need a police report should yu file an insurance claim. I would call the police immediately. The kids might have already disposed of the watch.
Watch Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2010, 11:55 PM   #29
Safetrends
Banned

Watch: my hand. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BASSETHOUNDS View Post
NO , this is not a joke , my nearly new 116520 ( the one I swapped with my AD brother-in-law for my F-reg a couple of months ago ) has gone missing from my home . I did realize it was no longer where I was pretty sure where it should have been , on tuesday and started to pick my brain . I just got off the phone with a friend of mine , who's son sometimes comes and "dog sit" for us when we go away for day or two and we do not want to take them to the dog kennel just for one night . It seems that his son has owed up that a couple of "friends" had come along to feed the dogs that day and it now seems obvious that one ( or maybe my friends son himself ) went into our house and picked up the watch . I have to admit that it was not kept in a secure place , but there was no reason for any of them to go into my office space , let alone steal the watch . The story is that one of them needed to use the computer / internet to consult something urgently and all the others followed . My friend assured me that he will have the list of names of all those that came to my house that day by tonight . We will see what they have to say , I have agreed that I will not file an official complaint with the police if the watch gets back by tomorrow 12 am .
I will update as and when things happen .

I am truly sorry for your loss, I hope that a resolution is in sight and keeping your wits about you is important at this time. Best to you and your family.

BTW: It is really, really sad when you trust someone, not just anyone, a friend, to look after your home, your animals, while your away, and after this occurs it makes you feel like you lost faith in the human race.
Here in the United States years ago a upper class family, with several acres of property, went on vacation. When they came back the house was looted, everything was destroyed, even the vehicles suffered damage and the house was a total loss. Who do you think would do such a horrible act? The family's had a next door neighbor's son watching the house while they were on vacation. The family was well off also and the son had a party in the house that went out of control and everyone involved in the party was sought out and punished. It still did not give the family closure in this matter, they are left with anger in their fellow human beings.
Safetrends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2010, 11:56 PM   #30
spuds
"TRF" Member

Watch: West Ham! COYI!!
Sorry to hear of this & I hope it gets resolved amicably and soon....

Life is not about how fast you can run or how high you can climb...........
It's about how well you can bounce!!

TRF HALL OF FAME JANUARY 2010
spuds is offline   Reply With Quote