The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 28 March 2018, 10:13 PM   #31
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

What makes you think you will pay more from a Grey dealer? Here is a bomb shell: Create a working relationship with a trusted seller and you can negotiate a better price than what you can get through a AD that doesn’t have the watch anyway. Now you end up with a new watch (with stickers on it) with factory warranty, no tax, and you didn’t wait on a list for a lengthy time.
Old 28 March 2018, 10:15 PM   #32
Rolexier
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
What makes you think you will pay more from a Grey dealer. Here is a bomb shell: Create a working relationship with a trusted seller and you can negotiate a better price than what you can get through a AD that doesn’t have the watch anyway.
Nonsense grey dealers are there to charge you more for watches than an AD anyone can negotiate down from AD for watches they can’t shift but a grey will charge you a huge markup over the AD price of say any SS model so your not making sense
Rolexier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2018, 10:18 PM   #33
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexier View Post
Nonsense grey dealers are there to charge you more for watches than an AD anyone can negotiate down from AD for watches they can’t shift but a grey will charge you a huge markup over the AD price of say any SS model so your not making sense
Nope, that’s how I purchase my latest new Rolex models. Develope a relationship and you would be shocked what can be achieved. I won’t discuss what I pay for my watches but all I can say is I am extremely pleased at what price I negotiate.
Forum trusted sellers is where it’s at for a WIS. Reputations are guarded on this forum buy trusted sellers and by established members. It’s a tremendous asset for both parties to do business within this structure. It’s smart to not rule out trusted sellers as well as your local AD.
Old 28 March 2018, 10:30 PM   #34
gbpritf
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing Netflix
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
absolutely nothing against them at all, but i contend that it contributes to your lack of choice. Its an alternative, but the alternative is partly why the usual choice isnt a viable option for many.
That's certainly a possibility. I know I've heard the opinion voiced many times on TRF. However, without verifiable data showing such an affect or disputing it, personally, it's a non issue for me. I just accept it as the way things are. Of course, that may not be the case for everyone.
Old 28 March 2018, 10:36 PM   #35
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaxe View Post
I would never pay over MSRP and would gladly support my AD who got me both ceramic Daytona and a BLNR with hardly a wait. Their less popular models are priced within $1k of grey dealers, happy to pay that. I’m in it for the long haul and value the AD relationship.

Absolutely this! People buy the easy to get models from grey to save money, and then moan that loyal AD customers get the hard to get models only available at MRSP from AD's! Honestly!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2018, 10:39 PM   #36
yxc145
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD,JC, BLNR, Ex2
Quote:
Originally Posted by aczaja10 View Post
Try R.C. Wahl in Des Plaines, IL. They have a great ss selection - ask for Parker. He's cool and won't rip you off. Great guy.
Been there. Nice little shop. Friendly staff, but they never contact me after my visit though... maybe the watch I wanted is still not available?
yxc145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2018, 10:47 PM   #37
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Given the current environment, it absolutely makes sense to form a relationship with your AD. Plus, ADs are typically priced within what a grey charges, sometimes cheaper.

I might as well give my money/business to an AD who in turn gets me sought after SS watches at msrp (sometimes even a little discount). With a grey dealer, your business is rewarded by having the privilege of paying $7k above msrp for a Daytona or $3k for a Hulk. God knows what the Pepsi will be.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2018, 11:28 PM   #38
SubMarin18
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timetracker View Post
I bought an 114060 a month ago. From my closest AD. MSRP, better than the three greys I checked. Plus, I wanted to know I can walk back in the door if something needs attention.

No fuss, no muss, no goofy requirements.
As did I. I found comfort knowing I bought my (first) Rolex from an AD. Congrats on your purchase!
SubMarin18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2018, 11:31 PM   #39
SubMarin18
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyTuomas View Post
This is not news, I think everyone knows this. Also, DJs are available everywhere.

Why I am hesitant to buy from grey:
-I want my name on the papers
-I do not want to pay a premium
-Perhaps an ethical issue with watches ending up on grey hands in stead of normal people who save up
SubMarin18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2018, 11:48 PM   #40
lhanddds
Banned

Watch: of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
Try to find the best deal you can manage in a time frame you can deal with. It that is grey, fine. If that is dealer, fine. A few years ago the cry was "don't buy from ADs because greys are cheaper." Now the cry is "buy from ADs and save money." Buy where ever you like; it's your money.
I remember the days when greys were cheaper. It always makes me unomfortable when I go to an AD and I know more about their product than they do. I find greys more knowledgeable in most cases.
lhanddds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2018, 11:49 PM   #41
JTL31
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

[QUOTE=MinMay;8426253]Yep...pretty much 99% of everyone that owns a Rolex sell their watch for a loss or gain down the road. Everyone is a flipper and they're complaining about others

Agreed. I also agree w/Rolexier.
I have a relationship w/a small family run AD & couldn't be more impressed w/their business philosophy/ concept, & work ethic! Fwiw, I have sold 2 watches to a grey, and traded w/an AD.
JTL31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2018, 11:56 PM   #42
envuks
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

If you cannot get the model you want at an AD for MSRP or below in the time you want, go to the grey market. If you’re buying PM there’s a substantial savings by going grey.

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
envuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2018, 12:43 AM   #43
4BostonB
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhanddds View Post
I remember the days when greys were cheaper. It always makes me unomfortable when I go to an AD and I know more about their product than they do. I find greys more knowledgeable in most cases.
Agreed - a few months ago, I had an AD try to tell me that they never made 16570 Exp II's with the 3186 movement found in the current GMT II LN and BLNR.
4BostonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2018, 12:49 AM   #44
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

The complaints about the grey dealers come out now when you are paying a"premium" for a watch. I don't remember the posts when you could get almost all watches from the grey dealers at a "discount". With the exception of the SS Daytona, you could get any model SS professional at a discounts, did not hear complaints I am paying too little for the watch. Some people want it both ways.
BillA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2018, 02:05 AM   #45
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillA View Post
The complaints about the grey dealers come out now when you are paying a"premium" for a watch. I don't remember the posts when you could get almost all watches from the grey dealers at a "discount". With the exception of the SS Daytona, you could get any model SS professional at a discounts, did not hear complaints I am paying too little for the watch. Some people want it both ways.
Fully agree, hypocrite bunch the grey bashers
Old 29 March 2018, 02:06 AM   #46
eyeheartny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Exactly, Bill. And honestly, the pieces that greys are charging more for are pretty limited-- Daytonas, Hulks, brand-new just-released SS models, etc. For folks who want workhorse PM and SS pieces (Sub, DJ, DD, OP) the greys offer huge savings. For example, DavidSW has new a RG DD on his site for 25% off MSRP, plus no tax. That's a pretty unbeatable deal. No idea why people are giving the greys a hard time.
eyeheartny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2018, 02:08 AM   #47
eyeheartny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This is a provably false claim. "Any SS model"? What are you talking about? Trusted sellers have Sub, DJ, OP for below MSRP with no tax. Maybe be more precise before you bash these greys...if you want a Daytona, or a new SS piece that was just released and is in high demand, then yeah-- they charge a markup. But your over-broad criticism makes it hard to take you seriously.
eyeheartny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2018, 02:42 AM   #48
Seibei
Banned

Quote:
Yeah pay them so they can continue the scoop up the watches at the ADs that you and I cannot get and then pay them for the privilege yes makes complete sense to keep giving them money wonderful idea
I am with you on this. If at all possible I will buy from an AD. As far as I am concerned grey dealers who scoop up popular models can keep them.
Seibei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2018, 03:26 AM   #49
Mousehunter
"TRF" Member

Watch: AK, SD43, Hulk
I suspect any state with a sales tax has a corresponding use tax. The issue is individuals almost never get audited for sales tax and most unpaid use tax is only discovered during a sales tax audit. (A sales tax audit focuses in a business paying for sales tax on non-inventory purchases-inventory is exempt). If out of state purchases show up, they are treated the same as if a tax exempt certificate was used on a non-exempt purchase.

Individuals do not have tax exempt certificates, so there are virtually no sales tax audit on them. However, for specific material items, some businesses have been forced to inform the sales tax departments in othe states of the sale. I know of cases involving high end jewelry and RV,s. States have billed individuals for large single purchases they were already aware off.

The jewelry one I recall was Tiffani’s. Apparently they are in NY but have many customers in NJ. The customer would shop locally, but sales staff would tell them to go home and order by mail to avoid the NY tax. A lot of marriages got destroyed when wives opened NY tax bills for jewelry purchased for mistresses. I seem to recall husbands attempting to sue NY for privacy violations.
Mousehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2018, 04:31 AM   #50
el-heffe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Paying at or slightly below MSRP is having it both ways?
el-heffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2018, 05:07 AM   #51
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by el-heffe View Post
Paying at or slightly below MSRP is having it both ways?
El-Heffe
By your post count, I suspect you have not been on the forum long. We used to get up to 20% below MSRP on many models. That is sizable in my book.
BillA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2018, 06:26 AM   #52
franklin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbpritf View Post
The better known grays on this forum offer impeccable, high quality customer service. I'm grateful I/we have a choice when shopping for watches.
I agree.
franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2018, 08:48 AM   #53
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by meganfox17 View Post
With regards to any models (or DJ, Milgauss, Explorer models ) if or currently available at any official Rolex Boutique in Malaysia

✓Grey : Surcharge 3% on credit card
✓ Rolex boutique : Interest-free 0% easy payment installment plan upto 12 months when paying for a Rolex watch using your credit card issued by any local merchant bank
Yes. The details matter.
Old 29 March 2018, 08:51 AM   #54
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Er, yes. All those who complain should first write a check to the grey dealers for the great deal they got when times were good. No takers, eh???
Old 29 March 2018, 09:36 AM   #55
el-heffe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
El-Heffe
By your post count, I suspect you have not been on the forum long. We used to get up to 20% below MSRP on many models. That is sizable in my book.
Bill, I agree and I'm famailar with the Omega gray market, which I'm sure is similar to the Rolex one. What I disagree with is paying above MSRP. Personally, I'm fine waiting to get a watch. I had to wait to get my BLNR and I'm currently waiting for the LVc. It's not my first choice, but given I'm NOT going to pay above MSRP, I don't mind waiting.
el-heffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2018, 10:42 AM   #56
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
Quote:

It’s funny because for a long while I only bought from gray dealers. But even before the insanity today gray prices started to slowly creep up. This led me to start building relationships with AD’s. Now with the generous discounts my ADs give me I’m getting in-demand watches for thousands less than gray market price. In a way the gray dealers have helped me save money by not buying from them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 30 March 2018, 11:22 AM   #57
DahMan
Banned

Grey vs AD

That was great feedback. I get it, do you want an AD relationship or just the watch... etc..Thx,,,
DahMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2018, 11:28 AM   #58
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_I View Post
Not for models in demand. Try getting a DaytonaC for same or cheaper from a grey.

I've tried.
try getting a daytonac from an ad.

odds are it wont go below the gray prices ever.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2018, 11:30 AM   #59
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
really?

i bought my subc for 20 percent below retail from a grey dealer. bnib w my name on the warranty card.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2018, 11:36 AM   #60
faaaaaaaasterrrrr
"TRF" Member

Watch: Another One?
I will be a customer of DavidSW for life. Amazing transactions from start to finish. I can't see how I would have a better relationship with an AD than I do with him.
faaaaaaaasterrrrr is offline   Reply With Quote