The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 20 October 2020, 03:44 AM   #1
EdwardC
2024 Pledge Member

Full deposit required for 321 Ed White

The boutique manager told me if I would like to get the Ed White, 100% deposit is required and it will be more than a year at least. Is this normal? I had never paid full deposit for any watch before without any guarantee.
EdwardC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2020, 05:47 AM   #2
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardC View Post
The boutique manager told me if I would like to get the Ed White, 100% deposit is required and it will be more than a year at least. Is this normal? I had never paid full deposit for any watch before without any guarantee.
For the SS 321 Ed White I've read that a full deposit is required. For regular Omega watches no it's not.
texasmade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2020, 06:20 AM   #3
wlchuccc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I am sure if it will be quicker after you pay a full deposit. Go for it, it's stunning and you will have no regret!
wlchuccc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2020, 12:30 PM   #4
Perilo
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

I passed on a Silver Snoopy allocation at my local Boutique because I thought it was outrageous to ask for full deposit...learn from my mistake if you really want the 321. It looks like an incredible piece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 20 October 2020, 01:46 PM   #5
FriendlyTotodial
"TRF" Member

I was offered a 321 for full deposit and no eta, I passed lol
FriendlyTotodial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2020, 08:36 PM   #6
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Pre-paying for a watch that will not be here for a year or more does not work for me. Hang onto your money and figure it out as you go forward. It is still a Speed Master and I am not one to get so caught up in the movement that I would pay 8-10K more just for it.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2020, 08:39 PM   #7
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
It depends for me...

How well do you know the boutique manager? If they will refund your money no questions asked and you have the cash to spare, I’d probably do it if it were a watch a really wanted:2 YMMV.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2020, 12:25 AM   #8
mmaggi
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710
I'm sorry but I don't get the full deposit thing. It should be a 25% or worst case 50% and fully refundable if the customer changes their mind about it. 100% is absurd.
mmaggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2020, 01:04 AM   #9
Trog
Banned

How long to wait before demanding your deposit returned?

And is the AD obliged to return your funds?

Was chatting with my AD the other day who confirmed he had 7 deposits (30%) down for the new Ed White 321. That was three price increases ago. The longer it takes the AD to deliver, the more profit they lose.

I'm guessing every AD would be happy to return a deposit if requested knowing that they would easily get the new increased price for the 321 upon arrival.
Trog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2020, 01:18 AM   #10
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trog View Post
How long to wait before demanding your deposit returned?

And is the AD obliged to return your funds?

Was chatting with my AD the other day who confirmed he had 7 deposits (30%) down for the new Ed White 321. That was three price increases ago. The longer it takes the AD to deliver, the more profit they lose.

I'm guessing every AD would be happy to return a deposit if requested knowing that they would easily get the new increased price for the 321 upon arrival.
ADs usually sell for current price when delivered
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2020, 04:44 AM   #11
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
My experience is that on a watch you are waiting on that any price increase is passed on to the consumer. Unless you have it in writing you will pay full retail.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2020, 05:01 AM   #12
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
This
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2020, 05:24 AM   #13
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
This
To be fair, I got my Apollo 11 Pre price increase price. They took my deposit against the RRP at the time. I paid the difference. I did say the price had increased when I picked it up and they said it was their issue (it was only about 350 quid from memory).

Maybe I was just lucky (and I do a lot of business with this AD).
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2020, 06:22 AM   #14
Voodoojar
"TRF" Member

Just put the deposit on an american express if it takes too long dispute the charge and youll get your money back.
Voodoojar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2020, 10:08 AM   #15
BradSomrak
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLNR
For as much grief as Rolex gets about it its wait times, etc., I find a pay-in-full “deposit” more offensive.

Amazing to me how pro-Omega people find handing over their money for X number of months (or a year+) completely fine.

Omega has pulled the same trick as Rolex, just in a different form.
BradSomrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2020, 01:59 PM   #16
Trog
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
Not mine....my final price is locked in.
Trog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2020, 02:58 PM   #17
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradSomrak View Post
For as much grief as Rolex gets about it its wait times, etc., I find a pay-in-full “deposit” more offensive.

Amazing to me how pro-Omega people find handing over their money for X number of months (or a year+) completely fine.

Omega has pulled the same trick as Rolex, just in a different form.

I don’t mind it at all.

Just gotta wait, but you’re gonna get the watch. They wouldn’t take the deposit otherwise, that’s why Omega closed deposits on Snoopy 50 the day after release. They had too many deposits and knew they couldn’t fulfill all of them within that year timeframe. One year is long, but reasonable.

I’d rather do that then play the AD games with Rolex - bundling, grey market, etc.

Plus this is a sure way to retain value on the watch, and Omega can produce based on demand and not oversupply. I’m glad for the watches to have value retention.

With that said... 321 is not my cup of tea.

Rollieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2020, 08:59 PM   #18
BradSomrak
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollieo View Post
I don’t mind it at all.

Just gotta wait, but you’re gonna get the watch. They wouldn’t take the deposit otherwise, that’s why Omega closed deposits on Snoopy 50 the day after release. They had too many deposits and knew they couldn’t fulfill all of them within that year timeframe. One year is long, but reasonable.

I’d rather do that then play the AD games with Rolex - bundling, grey market, etc.

Plus this is a sure way to retain value on the watch, and Omega can produce based on demand and not oversupply. I’m glad for the watches to have value retention.

With that said... 321 is not my cup of tea.

This response seems to contain some contradictions, so perhaps you can explain some more. I do find this response interesting.

First, you imply you don’t like Rolex “AD games.” Isnt that exactly what Omega is doing here? You cite bundling, or grey market, for Rolex, but Omega is taking your money months, or even a year, in advance. It is not hard to envision a scenario where losing access to 10k for a year costs you MORE than “paying Grey” for a Rolex. So, IMO, it’s six and one half dozen. They are both games. If you personally don’t mind playing that game....great. More power to you. But it is not hard to see a scenario where someone suffers a financial loss IN ADDITION TO the MSRP cost of the watch because they lost access to 10 grand for X months or years. That, based on your reference of Rolex, would certainly be a “game.”

You also correctly note that Omega has “closed deposits” for the Snoopy, and you cite that as a positive for “value retention.” Isnt that exactly what Rolex perfected? Omega is just late to the party. Your watch “retaining value” will be based on Omega restricting future production which, of course, means there will be people out there who WANT the Snoopy or 321 and CANT get it. They will be frustrated by the exact same things you negatively cite Rolex for.

None of this is a Rolex v. Omega merit debate. It just seems obvious to me the Omega is rolling out the Rolex/Patek/AP playbook and deploying it first through the Snoopy and 321.

And, not withstanding the above, I love the 321. I just wouldn’t pay the premium for it. But aesthetically I find it to be fantastic.
BradSomrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2020, 11:57 AM   #19
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
It depends for me...

How well do you know the boutique manager? If they will refund your money no questions asked and you have the cash to spare, I’d probably do it if it were a watch a really wanted:2 YMMV.
Yeah, me too. I'm confident that the policy is meant to ensure wait-lists contain true buyers. I am fine with this, and I'm actually thinking of paying up front and waiting to receive my Speedmaster 321.
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2020, 01:32 PM   #20
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradSomrak View Post
This response seems to contain some contradictions, so perhaps you can explain some more. I do find this response interesting.

First, you imply you don’t like Rolex “AD games.” Isnt that exactly what Omega is doing here? You cite bundling, or grey market, for Rolex, but Omega is taking your money months, or even a year, in advance. It is not hard to envision a scenario where losing access to 10k for a year costs you MORE than “paying Grey” for a Rolex. So, IMO, it’s six and one half dozen. They are both games. If you personally don’t mind playing that game....great. More power to you. But it is not hard to see a scenario where someone suffers a financial loss IN ADDITION TO the MSRP cost of the watch because they lost access to 10 grand for X months or years. That, based on your reference of Rolex, would certainly be a “game.”

You also correctly note that Omega has “closed deposits” for the Snoopy, and you cite that as a positive for “value retention.” Isnt that exactly what Rolex perfected? Omega is just late to the party. Your watch “retaining value” will be based on Omega restricting future production which, of course, means there will be people out there who WANT the Snoopy or 321 and CANT get it. They will be frustrated by the exact same things you negatively cite Rolex for.

None of this is a Rolex v. Omega merit debate. It just seems obvious to me the Omega is rolling out the Rolex/Patek/AP playbook and deploying it first through the Snoopy and 321.

And, not withstanding the above, I love the 321. I just wouldn’t pay the premium for it. But aesthetically I find it to be fantastic.

Something I mentioned in a different post, but a major thing I appreciate is that it doesn’t matter what your purchase history is, or if you had any kind of relationship with an OB. This could’ve been your first luxury watch, but if you asked about the Snoopy 50 before Oct 5, or even called an OB on Oct 5, you could’ve put a deposit down and would get this watch within a year.

Any super fan knew the Snoopy 50 was going to drop on Oct 5. So any super fan could’ve gotten it.

This, I really like about how Omega did it. As far as value retention, yes everyone doesn’t want to overpay. If you spend $10k on a watch and it sells for brand new in a year at $6k, no one won’t be happy. Same thing if it sold pre-owned after a year for $3k.

So yes, if people missed out this go around and supply is limited for those that didn’t get their interest in early, that’s OK with me. Keep an eye out for the next release, 2025 folks.

Lastly - I don’t see it as a game. Here’s my money, you’ll deliver in the next year. I know I’m in for an “interest free” loan. They know they have a buying customer. No game, that’s a clear transaction.

Rolex AD is straight up a game. You have no clue when you’ll get the watch, or if you’ll EVER get one. You can’t find an AD to take a deposit. You might find one that you will bundle, you might not. They might just ask you to develop a “purchase history” and we’ll get you a watch when you’re lucky. No clear idea what level of “purchase history” you need, or what the timeframe looks like.

Grey dealers is fair to say it’s not a game. Just overpay so you don’t have to play the Rolex AD game. But I also don’t see grey dealers as part of Rolex, and personally I just don’t want to buy from anyone but the manufacturer.

Rollieo is offline   Reply With Quote