The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 24 October 2020, 12:34 AM   #31
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
I concur with everything written here.

I got a sub last year, and it just couldn't do it for me. I've had many before, but for some reason, and I'm speculating now, that it was because I also now have the SMP to compare, I just didn't see where that $9K went. The Omega is a bargain, in that sense.

I still think that $5K for a watch is ridiculous, but that doesn't stop me from owning several, LOL.

I see where some people really hate the skeleton hands, but I love them, easy to see. The hideous helium escape valve just escapes my notice, I just don't see it, so it doesn't bother me. So many hate the bracelet, but I think it's very attractive but unfortunately uncomfortable for me, so I usually have the watch on a leather strap.

Those are my thoughts. They are worth twice what you paid for them.

You are welcome. :)

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2020, 01:50 AM   #32
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by trippinjimmy View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Somehow I knew you would have at least three different straps pictured

Thanks for posting. I know what you are doing here. A little peer pressure going on
samson66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2020, 01:59 AM   #33
CollinVon
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
Quote:
Do you mind if I ask where you got the strap and deployant clasp in this pic? I have the same watch, and that is a gorgeous combo. I didn't include pics from the original post because they appeared way too large in the preview.
CollinVon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2020, 02:56 AM   #34
trippinjimmy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinVon View Post
Do you mind if I ask where you got the strap and deployant clasp in this pic? I have the same watch, and that is a gorgeous combo. I didn't include pics from the original post because they appeared way too large in the preview.

Yes, I do mind.

Just kidding, snoopy 45 strap. Any omega AD or OB should be able to get it. It’s one of my favorite straps. - looks good with everything and super comfy. Omega deployants are the best!

trippinjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2020, 02:59 AM   #35
CollinVon
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
Quote:
Yes, I do mind.

Just kidding, snoopy 45 strap. Any omega AD or OB should be able to get it. It’s one of my favorite straps. - looks good with everything and super comfy. Omega deployants are the best!

Haha, thank you!

I was going to stop by my AD today anyway, so I'll have to inquire about it.

Cheers!
CollinVon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2020, 04:58 AM   #36
miami_yg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmavan View Post
I'm a bit of a classic watch guy. Speedmaster, BB58, Explorer, 16570 Polar, vintage Seikos. I have always kinda liked the Seamaster but never considered buying. A few months back I bought the latest model. Absolutely love it and it's still getting 80% wrist time. I've worn it on a few different straps after taking the bracelet off. I prefer a Milanese on it now and have a No Time To Die mesh for it on the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Ohhh boy! Do post pics, please, when it comes (No Time To Die mesh). I'm interested in it too. The code for ordering would be nice too--if you have it on hand.
miami_yg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2020, 01:34 AM   #37
emtee
"TRF" Member

I bought the SMP 300 blue on blue rubber at the start of the year. It looked great in pictures and on paper it is an awesome watch for the money. However I never really bonded with it, I always found myself trying to convince myself why I liked it. I’d tell myself how good the movement is, how cool the blue colour is, how comfortable it is, how it’s half the price of a sub etc. But eventually I had to admit to myself it’s just not for me. I hated the HEV, couldn’t learn to love the hands and found the wave dial to look a bit corny.

So last week I decided it was time to move it on and just yesterday completed a trade for a Panerai 212 which I am smitten with.

I’ve had this before with Omegas, they sound like they should be good, the value proposition is great but I just can’t warm up to them. They have so many things right about them but enough things wrong that I can’t look past them.

If you want a sub but can’t get one and think this will scratch the itch I would advise you to think again.
emtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2020, 12:21 PM   #38
watchmavan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by emtee View Post
I bought the SMP 300 blue on blue rubber at the start of the year. It looked great in pictures and on paper it is an awesome watch for the money. However I never really bonded with it, I always found myself trying to convince myself why I liked it. I’d tell myself how good the movement is, how cool the blue colour is, how comfortable it is, how it’s half the price of a sub etc. But eventually I had to admit to myself it’s just not for me. I hated the HEV, couldn’t learn to love the hands and found the wave dial to look a bit corny.

So last week I decided it was time to move it on and just yesterday completed a trade for a Panerai 212 which I am smitten with.

I’ve had this before with Omegas, they sound like they should be good, the value proposition is great but I just can’t warm up to them. They have so many things right about them but enough things wrong that I can’t look past them.

If you want a sub but can’t get one and think this will scratch the itch I would advise you to think again.

I'm on the other side of the street on this one. I've always felt the same about this model but one day I was in an AD and tried one on. I was smitten with it. I have always been drawn to classics and vintage but I just can't a stop wearing this one. Had it 3-4 months now.

watchmavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2020, 01:12 PM   #39
sambb
"TRF" Member

At gray prices - seamaster + speedmaster are cheaper and more advanced than 1 new gray 41 sub.
sambb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2020, 04:10 PM   #40
watchmavan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambb View Post
At gray prices - seamaster + speedmaster are cheaper and more advanced than 1 new gray 41 sub.

An 1861 calibre is more advanced than the 3200 Rolex!

Old 22 November 2020, 02:15 AM   #41
miami_yg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'm on the other side of the street on this one. I've always felt the same about this model but one day I was in an AD and tried one on. I was smitten with it. I have always been drawn to classics and vintage but I just can't a stop wearing this one. Had it 3-4 months now.

Is this the bond mesh?! Looking great. Picked up the 300m Sedna on rubber last week and looking at bracelet options.
miami_yg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2020, 02:59 AM   #42
emtee
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Great photos and like I said it is a great watch by any measure, unfortunately it just isn’t for me. But I’m grateful I was able to wear it for 6 months and figure that out :)
emtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2020, 03:05 AM   #43
herts9
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
They're both great watches. The next one I'm getting is the white SMP. Bracelet, strap.. doesn't matter. It doesn't take a bad pic as you guys showed!

Here's my diver and dressy combo:

herts9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2020, 05:15 AM   #44
Roddypeepa
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41 SubC SMPCcoax
I’ve posted a fair bit about this watch. I still don’t think it’s a “grail” piece for many but it’s very, very good. Bracelet does need more taper and it’s flash. Much flasher than a ceramic sub. But movement, dial, recognition factor and value proposition are top notch.

This is the blue dial by the at. Changes so much with angle it’s a real chameleon.

Roddypeepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2020, 11:01 AM   #45
dummykid
"TRF" Member

Quote:

you really have a nice strap on the watch. did you get the strap from Omega AD?
dummykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2020, 12:12 PM   #46
watchmavan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dummykid View Post
you really have a nice strap on the watch. did you get the strap from Omega AD?

NTTD strap

Old 25 November 2020, 05:03 AM   #47
drjrhc
"TRF" Member

Watch: Calibre 11 Monaco
Quote:
Originally Posted by sambb View Post
Looks like that has no clash in the titanium vs steel.

Do you notice any significant contrast between the two in real life?

If you don't care, can you post more pics?

Thanks!

Jason
drjrhc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2022, 02:35 AM   #48
hbbfam
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega SMP300
I am hoping to purchase one of these from a local AD. Should I expect to post msrp or should I expect to be able to do some negotiating?
hbbfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2022, 08:37 AM   #49
Nodzex
"TRF" Member

It is a such a beautiful piece, so much so that after owning a blue on a bracelet for a year (2020), I purchased a white dial on an a black rubber strap in 2021 and topped it off with a NTTD on a mash bracelet this year. They all wear different and are beautiful in their own way. Just to mention (for those haters outhere) I do own 2 Subs as well. Love them all!
Nodzex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2022, 12:49 PM   #50
ml91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodzex View Post
It is a such a beautiful piece, so much so that after owning a blue on a bracelet for a year (2020), I purchased a white dial on an a black rubber strap in 2021 and topped it off with a NTTD on a mash bracelet this year. They all wear different and are beautiful in their own way. Just to mention (for those haters outhere) I do own 2 Subs as well. Love them all!
White wears larger?
ml91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2022, 12:50 AM   #51
Nodzex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ml91 View Post
White wears larger?
I haven’t noticed it but I attached a picture so maybe the picture can help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 302A7BA4-2593-4FAE-899E-5F711539A805.jpeg (88.8 KB, 274 views)
Nodzex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2022, 10:46 PM   #52
tegee26
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610 SubC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodzex View Post
I haven’t noticed it but I attached a picture so maybe the picture can help.

I am soooo torn between the blue and white dial. My local watch dealer has a NIB trade white dial and it looks incredible in person. But the blue looks so cool too.

I do have the Planet Ocean LMLE (which is a black dial) and absolutely love it, even though it hasn't gotten much wrist time recently. But these SM300's (newer version) look beautiful. I am trading in my Panerai 590 to get into the SM300's.

Any help pushing me to blue or white dial? Thanks so much in advance.
tegee26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2022, 05:25 AM   #53
Lew Archer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
I bought a Seamaster 300M with the blue wavy dial in '97. That watch is still going strong. In the years since, I've acquired both Submariner and Seadweller...both fantastic watches.

While the Submariner 14060M is probably my all time favorite "dive" watch, I like 'em all. By the way, if you like a blue dial, Tudor's Black Bay Blue is a fine watch, too.

Last year, I bought the "No time to Die" version of the Seamaster 300m, which is also slightly larger, at 42mm, than my old 300M, which was 41mm. I bought the NTTD Seamaster on the NATO, which is very cool, but later bought the titanium Milanese/mesh bracelet. I also got a brown leather strap for that watch, To my surprise, the Milanese has become my favorite way to wear that Seamaster. A stainless steel version is available and I may one day get one for the old 300mm.

Anyway, the Omega has its distinct look. It's not a copy of the Sub. To my eye, there's no redundancy, except both are technically "dive" watches. But, to me, they are completely different.

I also like the fact that with Omega, there are many strap options. NATO, leather, bracelet (and over the years, I've used them all on my old 300m). So, the look can be changed every so often and it's like getting a new watch.

In short, like so many others here, I can highly recommend the 300m. First rate build quality, reliability, etc. It is a peer of the Sub, in my judgment.
Lew Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2022, 05:30 AM   #54
Lew Archer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjrhc View Post
Looks like that has no clash in the titanium vs steel.

Do you notice any significant contrast between the two in real life?

If you don't care, can you post more pics?

Thanks!

Jason
The Milanese/mesh style bracelet is also available from Omega in stainless steel, so it can match a stainless 300m perfectly. I've got the NTTD Seamaster and have it on the titanium mesh, and the darker grey tone of the bracelet matches the darker gray tone of the titanium watch perfectly, but I don't think it would be the right match for the stainless Seamaster. The photo you highlighted looks to me like the stainless steel version, because it appears to match exactly.

Of course, going to stainless steel means a heavier bracelet, but that, too, would be in harmony with the heavier stainless steel watch.
Lew Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2022, 11:44 AM   #55
FloydRedford
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16710
I love the look of the SMP on mesh but I wanted a taper and micro adjustment so I added a factory Constellation bracelet. It’s very comfortable. 9301EA29-F486-47A1-A402-8842CF16D155.jpeg8BD691D0-F180-4F7F-A901-5C581B1C27E3.jpeg8894BBF6-7B26-46E4-A807-0DC5F623E484.jpeg
FloydRedford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2022, 12:51 PM   #56
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 ln
I can tell you that it’s way more handsome than other dive watches out there.

Their price is increasing to he point of losing value

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
htc8p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2022, 12:07 AM   #57
rcclarkie
"TRF" Member

Watch: SMP 300m
I am a one-watch guy and just passed the 18-month mark with my white dial SMP 300m.

I love it.

I wear it on NATOs, the stock Bond bracelet and the superlative rubber strap with deployant clasp. The flexibility in use is welcome, especially if you’re active and want to use it for everything (as it’s designed to be).

I have a 7” wrist. All options work well and are very wearable with business and casual attire.

Of all the standard dial variants, I feel the white is the most subtle. Also, unlike the standard dial variants, it’s almost matte when you look at it directly. But shift it into the light and it really pops. Sometimes I’ll look down and be totally surprised/mesmerized by the light play on the ceramic waves. It’s truly unique.

To your question - versus the blue, it’s more muted. The hue of blue Omega chose for this model is far too vibrant for my liking, and IMO strays too far from the versatile denim-adjacent blue of the original classic (2531.80).

I also didn’t go with the black dial variant as the shine from that dial, while impressive, was far too much like jewellery for my style on a daily basis.

I will say this, however. If you’re accustomed to wearing a black-dial diver (as mentioned by your PO LMLE) then wearing a white dial will take some adjustment. The white, purely by its contrast with the black ceramic bezel, can be really WHITE some days. It’s a different vibe, so you just need to be prepared for it.

To conclude, I feel that the white dial is the sportier, more youthful, more modern-looking option of all the standard dial variants. Being young-ish, sporty, and more contemporary-minded in my wardrobe, it works for me. But if you’re looking for something more classic “Bond”, or more dressy/flashy, I’d go blue or black dial.

As stated in all the great comments above, however, you can’t go wrong with any option. It’s an excellent watch and has the history and design to be a keeper in any collection.

Hope this helps!

rcclarkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2022, 01:57 AM   #58
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

White sure is nice but I think the new green tops it. I’ve literally owned all dials except for blue. Agree it’s too blue
ap1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2022, 09:49 AM   #59
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Originally Posted by htc8p View Post
I can tell you that it’s way more handsome than other dive watches out there.

Their price is increasing to he point of losing value

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I don't think so. I own several Rolex and when I compare various Omegas to them, they hold their own and compare in quality and build, and compared to other brands they surpass easily. I think this particular reference is under priced. Get one while you can, in general, everything is going up.
Rolex has brand power, heritage, and prestige that is second to none, generally speaking.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2022, 03:33 AM   #60
rockmastermike
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1982 16750
on 7 in wrist for reference

rockmastermike is offline   Reply With Quote