The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 22 October 2020, 10:42 PM   #1
Rochester585
"TRF" Member

coaxial 8800 service interval

Hey guys,

i purchased a seamaster 300M last year and i cant remember for certain but im pretty sure the sales associate at the omega boutique told me that the new coaxial caliber 8800 didnt need servicing for like 10-12 years

i cant find the gentlemens business card and the boutique is in Nassau, Bahamas, i bought the watch on a vacation cruise...but he was using this as a selling point for the robustness of the movement and the low maitenance schedule and cost in comparison to other luxury brands

does this sound possible? I have a 5 year warranty and i read that many guys will go longer than the 5 years but 10-12 seems a bit long

ive read many threads saying if it aint broke dont fix it or worry about it but im a perfectionist and a planner and even tho its only been 1 year i like to have it in the back of my mind when i need to start thinking about preparing to send it in/ buying another watch to wear while this one is out of my hands :)

thank you and let me know what you think
Rochester585 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2020, 10:53 PM   #2
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
I think they recommend 5-8 years but I would probably stretch it to 10 and still feel pretty confident about it.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S20 using Tapatalk
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2020, 11:11 PM   #3
mmaggi
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710
Take note of how many seconds per day your watch gains or loses. Once it becomes unacceptable to you that's when you bring it in for service.

To your point: 10-12 years seems like a BS selling point. I would've laughed in his face if he would've told me that. Logically it's more like 5-7 years and even then there are no guarantees.

My brother has owned his Rolex GMT-II 16710 for 27 years and brought it for service only 2 times because it stopped dead in it's tracks (about every 10 years). It didn't bother him at all that before it died it was losing many seconds per day. It would bother the heck out of me.
mmaggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2020, 12:51 AM   #4
Rochester585
"TRF" Member

thanks for the responses gentlemen, it confirmed what i was thinking to be true

i do keep track of the accuracy against some control clocks..one at work and one using the NIST website on my phone

accuracy on this caliber 8800 has been near perfect so far, its almost unbelievable how accurate it is
Old 23 October 2020, 03:18 AM   #5
Smobews
"TRF" Member

Watch: The BIG ones
I wore my PO for seven years; on the wrist every day. It was running great, but I sent it in for a full service. They reported back that it had a low amplitude when they got it.

It came back looking like it did the first day I got it. fantastic refinishing on the titanium case and bracelet. The watchmaker dialed it in perfectly. It is keeping absolute perfect time on the wrist. The delta of the rate is 2.5 spd when I put it on my timegrapher. Incredible service!!
Smobews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2020, 12:29 PM   #6
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Greetings from your neighbor a bit down the shore. Glad to hear you're enjoying your Omega. Here's a link to the page on Omega's site describing how to care for your watch:

https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/c...-omega/watches
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2020, 07:31 PM   #7
Rochester585
"TRF" Member

Hey AEC, almost time for a beautiful western NY winter !!

Thank you all for the commentary, i had read omegas website and service suggestions but its nice to get real user feedback
Old 24 October 2020, 02:14 AM   #8
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochester585 View Post
Hey AEC, almost time for a beautiful western NY winter !!

Thank you all for the commentary, i had read omegas website and service suggestions but its nice to get real user feedback
A great autumn this year, for sure. My favorite time of year around here.

I hope your Omega and its Caliber 8800 are more reliable than my Aqua Terra and its Caliber 8500 have been. I wouldn't say my watch is a lemon, but it has been a bit fussy, and has needed the attention of a watchmaker a couple of times (it's five years old).

With Caliber 8500/8900, the issues are usually related to operations with the crown, but timekeeping performance is superb.

Don't hesitate to contact me any time.
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2020, 09:07 PM   #9
Alex_TA
"TRF" Member

This is an eternal argument, no right or wrong here. My position: when the watch asks you to be serviced.
Alex_TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2020, 07:52 AM   #10
amanbra
"TRF" Member

I have an 8500 that’s 8 years old. When I took it in for service they said don’t bother until it starts losing time. This is from the official boutique. To this day it’s bang on +2.5 per day as it was day one when I got the thing.

I’d imagine the 8800 is a level above the 8500.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
amanbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2020, 07:36 PM   #11
whiteibex
"TRF" Member

You could also try to ask for a free service for your current watch whilst purchasing your next one... this is not uncommon and is part of the price negotiation.
whiteibex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2020, 02:01 AM   #12
a1awan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blancpain Fifty Fa
I sold a Planet Ocean cal2500 to a friend back in 2007 and it still goes on without a service.
a1awan is offline   Reply With Quote