The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 26 October 2020, 09:24 PM   #1
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Forstner Flat-Link

I'm excited to report that a new Forstner Flat-Link bracelet is on its way to me now. It will for use on my contemporary Speedmaster Professional. I'll come back with a report and my own photos, but in the meanwhile here's the maker's photo of the model I chose with all-satin finish (as opposed to polished outer links):

AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 10:04 PM   #2
darius359
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4K
Looks goooood!!

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk
darius359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 11:53 PM   #3
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Ohhh, I like!
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2020, 12:16 AM   #4
Tongyk
"TRF" Member

Saw this on Jason Heaton IG, looks really good and contemplating on this buy. Quality doesn’t look top notch, but I assume nothing to complain at that price tag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tongyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2020, 01:01 AM   #5
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Guys, my new Forstner Flat-Link arrived yesterday, so I sat down with my tool kit to size it and mount it up to my Speedmaster Pro. I'll share my thoughts here.

Delivery was included in the price of the bracelet ($150), and Forstner didn't charge sales tax (I'm in New York, and I think they're in the Boston area). Packaging is pretty nice, and the bracelet was carefully taped up before it was packed. The bracelet was nicely assembled when I took it from the wrapping, with no scuffs or marks that I could detect anywhere in the satin finish.

Sizing was a pain in the butt. It's tedious because there are very tiny screws, and one needs to use two screw drivers simultaneously on both sides of the link. For my 7" wrist, I removed five links in total, and I think it was two from the 6:00 side and three from the 12:00 side, but I don't recall for sure on that. I didn't have my best bracelet-sizing game yesterday, and it took me three times longer than I expected.

The clasp is all right, but if I were Forstner and planning for the next upgrade to this product, that would be my area of focus. The solid end-links are well made. They snapped into place pretty easily, and fit snugly against the case with no play (Forstner supplies spring-bars and recommends using the ones they supply).

Once it's sized and mounted up, it looks and feels really nice. I find that I can comfortably wear it just snug enough for no real movement on the wrist, and I also can let the clasp out one notch and wear it just as comfortably with a small amount of movement on the wrist. I think I prefer the latter, but I did find that trying wear it loose enough for generous movement or play doesn't work very well.

I considered the model with polished outer links, but I was pretty sure the all-satin model was better for me, and I'm glad I went that route. Looking at photos, I thought the FOIS worked perfectly with the polished outer links, and the Speedmaster Pro worked better with an all-satin finish. Just my opinion, and I would encourage choosing based on your own sense of aesthetics.

The lustre of the satin surface is just right: not overly brushed, and still glossy enough to catch the light. It's pretty nice, and it matches the satin surfaces on the Speedmaster's case very well. Of course, the taper from 20mm at the case to 16mm at the clasp is classic, and I think it looks dynamite.

So, should you buy one for your Speedmaster? Yeah, I think probably so. I'm going to leave this bracelet mounted and enjoy it for a while. The clasp is the only part I question, so we'll have to see how I feel about it as time passes.

Thanks for viewing!

Old 30 October 2020, 01:53 AM   #6
alllexandru
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Solid looks, thanks for sharing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
alllexandru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2020, 08:11 AM   #7
CEG
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116505
Waiting for stock to replenish

CEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2020, 10:49 AM   #8
Greglaw
Banned

Looks awesome!
Greglaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2020, 11:33 AM   #9
sambb
"TRF" Member

does it pull hair like some omega bracelets?
sambb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2020, 08:14 PM   #10
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambb View Post
does it pull hair like some omega bracelets?
In my experience over the past month, no, it has not done that at all.
Old 23 November 2020, 04:30 AM   #11
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

Recently put one in my vintage speedmaster and I love the vintage look. Quite comfy too
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2020, 08:17 AM   #12
Flyer737
"TRF" Member

Many thanks for this review, contemplating one of these for my hesalite speedmaster pro, the bracelet appears to be currently out of stock. I'm undecided on all satin brushed finish or polished outer version! I found a similar looking version from Uncle Seiko but feel the Forstner one looks to be of better quality. If anyone has any further feedback or reviews I would be grateful, can't seem to find much on YouTube. Has Forstner recently refreshed this bracelet?
Old 27 November 2020, 08:55 PM   #13
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer737 View Post
Many thanks for this review, contemplating one of these for my hesalite speedmaster pro, the bracelet appears to be currently out of stock. I'm undecided on all satin brushed finish or polished outer version! I found a similar looking version from Uncle Seiko but feel the Forstner one looks to be of better quality. If anyone has any further feedback or reviews I would be grateful, can't seem to find much on YouTube. Has Forstner recently refreshed this bracelet?
I think the Forstner has been refreshed recently.

There are a couple of reviews and threads out on the web discussing comparison between the two:

https://www.fratellowatches.com/tbt-...edmaster/#gref

https://omegaforums.net/threads/flat...-seiko.116056/

The Forstner has been mounted to my Speedmaster for a few weeks now, and I feel like I made a good choice. It's trim and comfy, and I'm enjoying the vintage look and vibe