The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 20 October 2020, 08:21 PM   #1
Onewatchguy82
"TRF" Member

Watch: Meteorite
Omega seamaster 2541

Has anybody had any issues with these with aging as they get older? For instance lume cracking on the markers? Or anything
Or are they holding up good with time ?
Any issues to watch for
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l400 (4).jpg (25.1 KB, 138 views)
Onewatchguy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2020, 12:01 AM   #2
Onewatchguy82
"TRF" Member

Anyone
Old 21 October 2020, 12:40 PM   #3
Onewatchguy82
"TRF" Member

Bump
Old 21 October 2020, 01:51 PM   #4
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
I own a 2225.80 and had 4 other Omega's before that. I often browse listings on eBay or elsewhere for fun and have noticed the model you mentioned shows signs of age significantly in those areas.

Mainly the bezel fade (normal from UV rays over time), red portion of the second hand will fade to orange, and the lume will develop a patina. I've seen some in pretty rough shape but it all depends on how the previous owners treated the piece.

Here's a nicely aged piece like yours.

Image from Google

Here's a shot of mine

I kept the original insert that's scratched and fading a bit in after a factory service but also bought a spare bezel. It was the entire bezel ring with the insert as Omega (Swatch Canada) claimed they no longer sell just the insert. For a life keeper this is fine. They also returned all of the old parts to me which was cool as a collector to have.

The bottom line is - those watches were made to be worn and last. Yours seems like it has been cared for so you should continue enjoying it to the fullest. Life is too short.
RW16610 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2020, 02:35 PM   #5
Onewatchguy82
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW16610 View Post
I own a 2225.80 and had 4 other Omega's before that. I often browse listings on eBay or elsewhere for fun and have noticed the model you mentioned shows signs of age significantly in those areas.

Mainly the bezel fade (normal from UV rays over time), red portion of the second hand will fade to orange, and the lume will develop a patina. I've seen some in pretty rough shape but it all depends on how the previous owners treated the piece.

Here's a nicely aged piece like yours.

Image from Google

Here's a shot of mine

I kept the original insert that's scratched and fading a bit in after a factory service but also bought a spare bezel. It was the entire bezel ring with the insert as Omega (Swatch Canada) claimed they no longer sell just the insert. For a life keeper this is fine. They also returned all of the old parts to me which was cool as a collector to have.

The bottom line is - those watches were made to be worn and last. Yours seems like it has been cared for so you should continue enjoying it to the fullest. Life is too short.

Thanks for the reply
Well I'm 38 so I think it may last my lifetime just love it so much
Old 21 October 2020, 09:50 PM   #6
herts9
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
My 2531 is going on a quarter century. Aging well. Recently serviced and keeping time perfectly.

herts9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2020, 12:10 AM   #7
Fredcohiba
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 126334
Mine is approximately 20 years old / bought new. Had it serviced two years ago by Omega service in Miami. It’s pretty perfect looks wise and runs great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fredcohiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2020, 07:54 AM   #8
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onewatchguy82 View Post
Thanks for the reply
Well I'm 38 so I think it may last my lifetime just love it so much
Agreed! It will last beyond that and is something you can pass along to the next generation be it family members or friends.

This piece is what's the Omega Seamaster line is all about to me. All the years as a Bond watch really added a nice touch to an incredible watch. It's SO versatile and this was one of the main things that marketing campaign highlighted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by herts9 View Post
My 2531 is going on a quarter century. Aging well. Recently serviced and keeping time perfectly.

Great looking watch!!! Back then they only came with a single warranty card, correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredcohiba View Post
Mine is approximately 20 years old / bought new. Had it serviced two years ago by Omega service in Miami. It’s pretty perfect looks wise and runs great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Very nice! Was this one mainly kept in a safe or did you have the dial and bezel swapped?
Old 22 October 2020, 08:09 AM   #9
Fredcohiba
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 126334
Quote:
Agreed! It will last beyond that and is something you can pass along to the next generation be it family members or friends.

This piece is what's the Omega Seamaster line is all about to me. All the years as a Bond watch really added a nice touch to an incredible watch. It's SO versatile and this was one of the main things that marketing campaign highlighted.

Great looking watch!!! Back then they only came with a single warranty card, correct?

Very nice! Was this one mainly kept in a safe or did you have the dial and bezel swapped?
Believe it or not, it was my daily wearer - 2001 thru 2018 - until I got my first Rolex in 2018. Now it shares duties but is not worn like it used to be. Everything you can see is original.
Fredcohiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2020, 08:16 AM   #10
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
I've had my 2531 from 2006 since Mar 2020. It keeps near perfect time. I was told the movement was serviced just over a yr ago and recieved a new bezel..

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2020, 08:28 AM   #11
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikrnic View Post
I've had my 2531 from 2006 since Mar 2020. It keeps near perfect time. I was told the movement was serviced just over a yr ago and recieved a new bezel..

My experience with ETA / Valjoux based movements (particularly in Omega watches) is they're virtually bulletproof. All of mine in the past have kept excellent time years in.
Old 22 October 2020, 10:43 AM   #12
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
Quote:
My experience with ETA / Valjoux based movements (particularly in Omega watches) is they're virtually bulletproof. All of mine in the past have kept excellent time years in.
Good to know After looking at new ones and learning all I could on the Seamaster line I decided this was my target choice. I really love everything about it.

Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2020, 10:54 AM   #13
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Yeah, for me buying or collecting watches is all about tradition. This is one of the few items today that's been virtually unchanged over the decades or even centuries. Made to last, zero electronic components (for fully mechanical pieces), and so on. Free of planned obsolescence pretty much.

I don't wear rings anymore

I did have a 2220.80 years ago but that piece didn't quite do it for me as a Chrono addict. I actually wouldn't mind having a 2541 in my collection.
Old 23 October 2020, 11:25 AM   #14
Onewatchguy82
"TRF" Member

I think these now sell for more than they did brand new .
A few years ago someone told me the quartz would never go up
Old 23 October 2020, 01:42 PM   #15
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

That's true, they certainly sell for more now than they did back in the day. Plus it's not always easy to find a great example of one. It's what urged me to collect what I could, when I could and hold onto them for life.