The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 20 September 2018, 06:34 PM   #1
Fedor
"TRF" Member

Offshore Grand Prix Carbon - Question

Does anyone know the weight of this particular model? Carbon variant with the GP strap. Can't seem to find any data on this at all....

Also, buying this model without box and papers.....what would be a reasonable price?

Thank's a lot!
Fedor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 07:28 PM   #2
PJ S
Banned

Don’t know, but I’ll let you ask them to weigh it for you, and negotiate the best price for it – https://www.chrono24.co.uk/audemarsp...x--mod1180.htm – especially if it hasn’t been serviced since being made.
Maybe that’s where the 3 years is coming from – although unless Sweden is different, an AP service warranty is only 2 years.
Reads like a copy and paste job from a new watch, so confirm there’s any warranty at all on it.

Personally, I wouldn’t bother – every one I’ve looked at on there, inc a NOS, has a bezel that looks as rough as a badger’s arse!
There isn’t remotely £20Ks worth of watch, no matter how you slice it – leave them for those who’ve more money than sense.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2018, 01:14 AM   #3
ragsk
Banned

Sorry for not answering the OPs question but I am not a fan either. They look a mess.

Surely this is not how AP intended the material to perform.
ragsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2018, 04:02 AM   #4
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
Not knocking anyone's watch, but seeing the bezel like that really hurts, what was AP thinking?
myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2018, 04:09 AM   #5
singe89
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by myporsche View Post
Not knocking anyone's watch, but seeing the bezel like that really hurts, what was AP thinking?
They were thinking they would innovate and be the first to use forged carbon in watch making and now many others have followed.

Took them a few years to perfect the composition and what parts should be FC and what shouldn't (like bezels with multiple sharp edges). They addressed the GP wear issue by allowing you to replace with a ceramic version.
singe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2018, 04:12 AM   #6
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myporsche View Post
I think they just gave it a go with the bezel and realized well afterward that it would not hold up well. I have yet to see one in good condition and always looks like a dog chewed on it. Absolutely awful but kudos to AP for giving it a try.
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2018, 04:24 AM   #7
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by singe89 View Post
They were thinking they would innovate and be the first to use forged carbon in watch making and now many others have followed.

Took them a few years to perfect the composition and what parts should be FC and what shouldn't (like bezels with multiple sharp edges). They addressed the GP wear issue by allowing you to replace with a ceramic version.
I didn't know they would replace the bezel for you with ceramic, good to know.
Old 21 September 2018, 04:39 AM   #8
mspeed76
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, RM
its very light, i as i recall about 3.5 oz

the ceramic bezel is a _huge_ upgrade
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 98102_121_dsc00715.jpg (85.4 KB, 358 views)
mspeed76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2018, 04:44 AM   #9
Fedor
"TRF" Member

The bezel is a mess for sure, even the case has the same issues according to some. But something about it makes it tingle, perhaps it's the "dry-stone" look.....

Do you guys think the weight is less than a forged 26400AU? Do we have any owners here on the forum perhaps? =)

I've contacted a few dealers regarding the above and waiting for reply.
Old 21 September 2018, 05:07 AM   #10
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspeed76 View Post
its very light, i as i recall about 3.5 oz

the ceramic bezel is a _huge_ upgrade
Looks much better with the ceramic replacement.
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2018, 07:42 AM   #11
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Looks GREAT with ceramic!
Old 22 September 2018, 03:43 AM   #12
ragsk
Banned

Hmmm still not sure. Might as well make the whole case ceramic as well. AP clearly recognise that the material isn’t durable and hence are offering the free bezel replacement.

Good of them to offer it but its not how the watch was intended to look.
Old 22 September 2018, 03:48 AM   #13
conkers
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
It is certainly not a free replacement!
Old 22 September 2018, 03:53 AM   #14
singe89
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragsk View Post
Hmmm still not sure. Might as well make the whole case ceramic as well. AP clearly recognise that the material isn’t durable and hence are offering the free bezel replacement.

Good of them to offer it but its not how the watch was intended to look.
The material is plenty durable especially after they changed the resin and use it for the appropriate parts like cases. AP was the first to use FC in watch making and there was some early issues that they now have fixed. I commend them for basically admitting the early flaws and going back and making special bezels in the same design as the FC to keep the original look of the watch as much as possible. If would be better if that let you trade bezels rather than charging your for it. Doubt CE would work for the GP case with the way the case is designed on the 9 oclock side. Probably too thin and brittle if CE was used.
Old 22 September 2018, 03:58 AM   #15
ragsk
Banned

I understand. Not having a go at AP -the use of innovative materials always cool - just saying it’s not for me given it crumbles like that. That cannot be by design.

How can you say it’s plenty durable? Look at some of the pics of used ones. Or were they the early releases only that have this problem?
Old 22 September 2018, 04:31 AM   #16
iLLGT2
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROO Blue Scuba
Quote:
Originally Posted by conkers View Post
It is certainly not a free replacement!
Xavier replaced my bezel and case free of charge, but maybe that was a personal favor :)

I love the grand prix as is, in its carbon glory. When I got my GP back from clearwater service, the new forged carbon was drastically different than my original, I also did the black date wheel
iLLGT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2018, 05:37 AM   #17
singe89
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragsk View Post
I understand. Not having a go at AP -the use of innovative materials always cool - just saying it’s not for me given it crumbles like that. That cannot be by design.

How can you say it’s plenty durable? Look at some of the pics of used ones. Or were they the early releases only that have this problem?
The fraying/crumbling was and issue with the early ones and AP changed the resin to make it harder and have greater wear resistance. I've been using the FC diver as a daily beater for over 6 years now and it still looks brand new (other than the rubber crowns showing wear). I also have a carbon concept case and a 44mm ROO case from my visit to Le Brassus and did some scratch and drop tests with them and they held up better than SS but obviously cant be polished like SS.
Old 22 September 2018, 03:46 PM   #18
Fedor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLLGT2 View Post
Xavier replaced my bezel and case free of charge, but maybe that was a personal favor :)

I love the grand prix as is, in its carbon glory. When I got my GP back from clearwater service, the new forged carbon was drastically different than my original, I also did the black date wheel
Interesting, so your GP got some new updated carbon peices? What was different? Never heard this before.

To be honest, although all the problematics whit the material for this particular model, it’ still on my wish list. I like the look a lot! :)
Old 23 September 2018, 05:03 AM   #19
iLLGT2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedor View Post
Interesting, so your GP got some new updated carbon peices? What was different? Never heard this before.

To be honest, although all the problematics whit the material for this particular model, it’ still on my wish list. I like the look a lot! :)
This was my GP before the full replacement. Its hard to see but the flange that comes out on the left of case was peeling, and the bezel edges in some places same thing. This forged carbon had an amazing marbling effect and texture, the new FC was more 1 dimensional and plasticy in look and feel. It was smooth the new carbon without any texture or depth really

This was the new unworn carbon back from service. Xavier at the time was NA CEO and I became friendly at events and had email communication periodically. I then met up with him at the NYC boutique and showed him my grand prix peeling/flaking issues and on the spot he had it sent out for complete replacement. So I'm not sure if they are doing courtesy replacements for bezels, he just did a nice favor for me for the whole thing to be replaced

Old 23 September 2018, 09:38 AM   #20
Colin W
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
Don’t know, but I’ll let you ask them to weigh it for you, and negotiate the best price for it – https://www.chrono24.co.uk/audemarsp...x--mod1180.htm – especially if it hasn’t been serviced since being made.
Maybe that’s where the 3 years is coming from – although unless Sweden is different, an AP service warranty is only 2 years.
Reads like a copy and paste job from a new watch, so confirm there’s any warranty at all on it.

Personally, I wouldn’t bother – every one I’ve looked at on there, inc a NOS, has a bezel that looks as rough as a badger’s arse!
There isn’t remotely £20Ks worth of watch, no matter how you slice it – leave them for those who’ve more money than sense.

Agree - I was looking at these, never found a one that didn’t look beaten up, shame as the carbon is such a cool look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 23 September 2018, 09:40 AM   #21
Colin W
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This was my GP before the full replacement. Its hard to see but the flange that comes out on the left of case was peeling, and the bezel edges in some places same thing. This forged carbon had an amazing marbling effect and texture, the new FC was more 1 dimensional and plasticy in look and feel. It was smooth the new carbon without any texture or depth really

This was the new unworn carbon back from service. Xavier at the time was NA CEO and I became friendly at events and had email communication periodically. I then met up with him at the NYC boutique and showed him my grand prix peeling/flaking issues and on the spot he had it sent out for complete replacement. So I'm not sure if they are doing courtesy replacements for bezels, he just did a nice favor for me for the whole thing to be replaced

That is the nicest condition GP Carbon I have ever seen - you are a lucky Guy to own that beauty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 23 September 2018, 09:28 PM   #22
Fedor
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Thanks for the info, although it confuses the hell out of me :)

That’s a fantastic looking watch you’ve got there!

Question, how does it feel on the wrist compared to other models? I’ve never seen or held one IRL so really dont know what I’m getting. I’ll eventually order it through Chrono24 and hopefully it will live up to my own created hype.

Why I’m interested in this particular model? Mainly because I want the most comfortable AP out there :)
Old 23 September 2018, 09:40 PM   #23
SC11
Banned

Watch: AP ☠️
Quote:

They came good and sorted it, the fresh case/bezel and the black date wheel make that watch, but I was under the impression they swapped the FC bezel our for the ceramic rather then another FC one!
SC11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2018, 09:44 PM   #24
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedor View Post
I’ll eventually order it through Chrono24 and hopefully it will live up to my own created hype.
Wrong link posted previously — https://www.chrono24.co.uk/audemarsp...-id7121286.htm

Local to you, so go try it on, feel its weight (or lack thereof), etc.
You may decide it’s not all you imagined it to be, and you’ve dodged a bullet, so to speak.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2018, 12:42 AM   #25
jontay02
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP!
Get it and upgrade the bezel to ceramic.

GP with ceramic bezel is unique on it’s own like the RB2 titanium.

I love Schumi Ti but given its exorbitant price, the 44mm ROO Ti will have to do for now.

Old 27 September 2018, 02:42 AM   #26
R!$
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by singe89 View Post

Its looks outweigh its practicality
R!$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2018, 02:59 AM   #27
iLLGT2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC11 View Post
They came good and sorted it, the fresh case/bezel and the black date wheel make that watch, but I was under the impression they swapped the FC bezel our for the ceramic rather then another FC one!
At the time (this is a few years ago already) that wasn't an option for me. They just replaced all the factory carbon with updated carbon
Old 27 September 2018, 03:28 AM   #28
SC11
Banned

Watch: AP ☠️
Quote:
At the time (this is a few years ago already) that wasn't an option for me. They just replaced all the factory carbon with updated carbon
FC would of been my choice I didn’t realise AP had change/updated the FC mix, since yours has been swapped out how has the FC held up?
SC11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2018, 04:21 AM   #29
iLLGT2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC11 View Post
FC would of been my choice I didn’t realise AP had change/updated the FC mix, since yours has been swapped out how has the FC held up?
Well, to be honest i'm very conscious/careful subconsciously while wearing my watches.. So even my gold AP/Rolex, Platinum DDII, all have some light swirling (and I wear them alot) but I never get any big or deep scratches, dings, etc.
so the carbon in comparison holds up way better, and much better than original FC.

Only thing is, some of the character/marbleization in the forged carbon is lost with the newer carbon as I had mentioned before. It looks a bit more plastic like lol, doesn't have the depth of the original but still very nice . IMO I like the original better visually but this is substantially stronger/more resistant
Old 28 September 2018, 04:09 AM   #30
Fedor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well, to be honest i'm very conscious/careful subconsciously while wearing my watches.. So even my gold AP/Rolex, Platinum DDII, all have some light swirling (and I wear them alot) but I never get any big or deep scratches, dings, etc.
so the carbon in comparison holds up way better, and much better than original FC.

Only thing is, some of the character/marbleization in the forged carbon is lost with the newer carbon as I had mentioned before. It looks a bit more plastic like lol, doesn't have the depth of the original but still very nice . IMO I like the original better visually but this is substantially stronger/more resistant
Interesting. Does this mean I’ll get the new updated carbon if I buy a used GP and send it in for service and exchange of case and bezel? What do you think?